PDA

View Full Version : Do you hang your leathers? how?

Zapf
22nd January 2005, 23:28
Hello to all who wear leathers,

Do you hang up your leathers? Including 1 Piece suits? Do you hang them in with mothballs?

cause I just got my 1st 1 Piece and would like to know how to take care of it.

And do you give it a wipe down after a long ride?

Thanks
Zapf

Jantar
23rd January 2005, 00:08
You made a good choice by going with leather. Leather is a hardy product and will withstand a fair amount of mistreatment, but for best results and long life you should take good care of it.

Either hang it up if you don't intend using it faor a few days, or lay it out flat on a bed or similar. Don't leave it folded.

Insects, road grime etc. can be washed off with warm damp cloth. An occassional thorough clean with saddle soap also helps. Treat the leather with a beeswax product every couple of months (available from saddlery and equestrian shops) to keep it supple and waterproof. Do not use Dubbin unless you want it to leak water around the stitching.

If the leather does get wet, then hang it up to dry slowly. Rapid drying will cause it to harden and lose its water resistance. I've had my one piece suit for 20 years, and its still in great order.

merv
23rd January 2005, 08:24
Just hang mine in the garage, the jackets on coat hangers and the trou just using the belt & buckle to hang them off the rail. Clean them only occasionally if they are dirty.

thehollowmen
23rd January 2005, 10:19
Don't hang it in a wardrobe, the dampness can help cause seems to rot and you'll get mildew growing on it... not pretty.

Don't fold them or you'll get condensation pockets in between the leather.

Don't hang it in direct sunlight either because it will crack or go stiff.

You're looking for cool, very dry conditions, a little light seems to help too, I think it just adds to the lack of moisture. I hang my jacket over a door that is always open (with saddle bags on top of the door too) and my leather trousers are draped over a chair in the hallway.

As Merv said, the garage should be great :-)

NC
23rd January 2005, 10:25
Hanging up in my floordrobe

FROSTY
23rd January 2005, 10:34
concept--hmm leathers that last long enough to need attention :shutup:

Jackrat
23rd January 2005, 11:21
Hang my jacket off my shoulders,pants off my hips.
When I'm not wearing em' I hang em' on the floor until my Mrs comes along an hides em' in a wardrobe or some other such place I'd never think to look for em'.
Clean em' once a year with saddle soap an warm water,wax once a year.
Might redye them one day.

k14
23rd January 2005, 11:27
i just drop my leathers on the floor in my bedroom when i come home, pick them up again when i need them.

marty
23rd January 2005, 13:03
i use a really heavy weight coat hanger (violators aren't light), but most of the time they drape over the armrest of the couch in the spare room....

marty
23rd January 2005, 13:04
and i always wipe down after use

Jackrat
23rd January 2005, 13:22

Mate,what's the cop in your avatar saying ?

marty
23rd January 2005, 16:44
Mate,what's the cop in your avatar saying ?

this message IS NOT too short

Gixxer 4 ever
23rd January 2005, 20:54
Hanging up in my floordrobe :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Only from you NC_30 :laugh:

Mencius
23rd January 2005, 21:27

All afternoon, I have been trying to let it lay.......but a vodka or two has weakened my resolve......

You *do* mean your leathers, don't you? :devil2:

Ang

Coldkiwi
24th January 2005, 11:33
mine live in a nice dry wardrobe on a hanger made of #8 wire! Everything else is too weak (can't remember how many plastic hangers I've snapped/bent) because as you have no doubt discovered, one piece leathers (if they're any good) are remarkably heavy!

Beeswax is great for looking after them and water proofing. Just warm the leather gently (either leave in the sun- the only time you should leave them there or by using a hairdryer on a small patch at a time) to let the leather open and wax away.