PDA

View Full Version : Just a Wannabe (pompeylass)

pompeylass
7th September 2008, 21:16
Hi All
Just discovered this site today. I have spent a couple of years riding pillion with mates on a Harley 1550 and a Triumph 1200. I promised myself during the dull winter months that I would get my learners license in the Spring. Well, springs here. I am moving from Christchurch to Invercargill in 4 days time, and intend to book my basic handling course for the end of September.

I want to start looking for a small bike (I'm a weaner), but have no idea where to start - any ideas? I'm thinking a Honda Rebel be a good starter for me, or what would you guys recommend?

Once Basic Handling and License is acquired, I'll be looking for someone to practice with........don't be shy now...........

fatzx10r
7th September 2008, 21:31
hey, welcome to the site and good luck with the licence. if you can find an older gn 250 in good condition thier a good we bike :niceone:

McJim
7th September 2008, 21:36
Welcome to KB and to Invercargill.

What is your budget and preference? It sounds like you are looking for a 250 cruiser style bike. any one of the following should suit although yu may have to buy sight unseen and get it shipped as the invercargill 250 market isn't as buoyant as those in other parts of the country.

Suzuki Maruder 250
Honda Magna 250
Yamaha Virago 250
Hyosung Aquilla 250 (actually a good starter cruiser)
Kawasaki Eliminator 250

Generally good sportsbike starters for smaller statured people are:

Suzuki FXR150
Suzuki RG150

I would pick a Yamaha Scorpio 225 as a good all round started bike though.

pompeylass
7th September 2008, 21:41
Thanks for the welcome, I just found a 2006 suzuki GN250 in Invercargill, 2k Reserve.

McJim
7th September 2008, 21:48
Thanks for the welcome, I just found a 2006 suzuki GN250 in Invercargill, 2k Reserve.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-173866586.htm
This one is probably better. The GN250s were made in Japan to high manufacturing standards in the eighties. In 2003 or so they started producing them in China and the quality was terrible.

Just my 2c...

pompeylass
7th September 2008, 21:49
My preference is something small, and relatively light - so when I drop it, which I undoubtedly will, I'll be able to pick it up again! I don't have a fixed budget, but I'm looking at probably not more than about 3K for starter. Is that realistic? I've mostly hung out with guys who own $30k harleys, so am out on a limb a bit here.

McJim
7th September 2008, 21:52
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-175102962.htm

This is nice too.

pompeylass
7th September 2008, 21:53
You sound like a man in the know - I'll accept your 2c any day. And you're in Invercargill? Maybe you could help me find one once I'm moved in? Cheeky I know. I won't hold it against you that your Scot, if you won't hold it against me that I'm English!

McJim
7th September 2008, 21:54
My preference is something small, and relatively light - so when I drop it, which I undoubtedly will, I'll be able to pick it up again! I don't have a fixed budget, but I'm looking at probably not more than about 3K for starter. Is that realistic? I've mostly hung out with guys who own $30k harleys, so am out on a limb a bit here.

Ultimately you should easily get something that works and is reliable for that kind of coin. If you want to be flash then you need between $6K-$8K for the brand new end of the 250 market. So long as you realise that not all people riding bikes ride Harleys. (I prefer mine made in Italy!)

pompeylass
7th September 2008, 22:01
I don't want anything flash, I want it to not matter if I scratch it or break it. That Yamaha looks ideal. I know a few non-harley people, and to be honest I found the some (not all) of the HOGS to be a bit pretentious - all about the bling.

Chickadee
7th September 2008, 22:16
Hi Pompeylass,

what brings you to Invervegas?

McJim
7th September 2008, 23:22
I don't want anything flash, I want it to not matter if I scratch it or break it. That Yamaha looks ideal. I know a few non-harley people, and to be honest I found the some (not all) of the HOGS to be a bit pretentious - all about the bling.

Hahaha - that's true of people from all walks of life - not just bikers and not just cruiser riders.

I actually go around boasting about how little power my bike has and how cheap it is to run.

FJRider
7th September 2008, 23:49

If you buy local, you can get its service history easier. Do a tour of the bike shops, I recall there are a couple down there. Talk to the guys, test ride if you can. Or at least chuck a leg over a few. See what feels right. Dont make rash decisions. Enjoy the search...
Oh... Welcome to the site... the department of silly questions, and even sillier answers... :devil2:

bomma
7th September 2008, 23:54
hey girl welcome to the site!! good to see the spirit's alive in ya!! biking's awesome fun especially when you're in control!! im not too sure wherebouts invercargill is or where manawatu is but if it's close by might pay to have a gander at this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports//auction-174792474.htm) great lil learner bikes the fxr's. good luck with the hunt and with the test and stuff :niceone:

Blackbird
8th September 2008, 09:26
Welcome to KB:Punk:. My wife has happy memories of Pompey - did her teacher's training there.

-easy--rider-
8th September 2008, 20:51
let me know when you have a bike and well go for a ride when im down there.

R6chick
8th September 2008, 20:55
Hi There Pompeylass welcome to the crazy house. :laugh:
Good luck with your bike search!!

pompeylass
8th September 2008, 23:04
Thankyou, I am a weaner so for me not all about getting my leg over - but thats kinda necessary. Its more about being able to touch the floor, and lift the bike up after I fuck up. Am not the eternal optimist.

McJim
8th September 2008, 23:10
Gravity sucks dunnit?

tate35
17th September 2008, 17:19
Hi and Welcome Pomeylass,

I learnt to ride on a little xr100 dirtbike, then moved up to a rgv150 which has been a great little zippy bike, but I also really enjoy riding my friends gn250 they ROCK!!! Easy to handle, they are so easy to ride. I would think this would be a great learners bike. Also, good luck with your BHS!!! :niceone:

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
17th September 2008, 20:15
welcome! hope you enjoy riding under your own speed