PDA

View Full Version : Today's lesson = MIRRORS

ManDownUnder
8th September 2008, 09:41
They're not farken painted on
They're an essential piece of kit on your bike for a reason
Adjust the farken things them so you can see what's behind you
Check the farken things regularly

This message inspired 24ZKK of the NW motorway... who ever you may be...

Grub
8th September 2008, 09:44
{Grub waits expectantly}

Taz
8th September 2008, 09:44
Jeez bro...... sorry :o

ManDownUnder
8th September 2008, 09:47
Serious post this time - alluded to in my previous post, check 'em when you can and please be considerate to anyone behind you as well as in front.

There's a lot of danger found in someone else on a bike sitting behind you waiting to pass...

Consider this - they're being considerate by not just shouldering their way though. They could - it's easy. The question and concern in their mnibnd is probably that it's:
1) Dangerous
2) Rude
3) Unclear how long you've been riding so they're not sure you're going to handle it ok if the do need to blip on past

Return the favour
Be considerate, at the next sensible opportunity, pull out of their way, and signal them past. I personally use my hand and just wave them through.

There are always going to be people that spit or travel faster than you. It's not an affront to your manhood, it's simply a difference of opinion on how fast they can safey spilt/ride.

My advice - DON'T take the moral high ground and decide for them. Frustrate any motorist long enough and they'll do something potentially dangerous if needs be to get past. If they get hurt doing so - that was their choice.... but if YOU get hurt in the process you have to shoulder a part of that yourself.

Mirrors - use the farken things!

Trudes
8th September 2008, 10:22
I had someone pass me in my lane on the motorway yesterday, I was doing about 120, he was way behind me then next minute I don't see him in my mirrors any more because he is right beside me. I saw him and moved over a bit as I was riding alongside a car in a passing maneuver, then realised he was trying to stop a boyracer from trying to squeeze in between him, me and the other rider with us... interesting stuff. Just remember if you fly up on someone and travel too close, they may not actually see you in their mirrors any more. (Yes it was my hubby, still......) :lol::scooter:

Swoop
8th September 2008, 10:36
Yup.
MDU, there does seem to be an increase of blind-bikers on the NW recently...
The weather is improving and so we are seeing the seasonal riders appearing from their hibernation...

Lissa
8th September 2008, 10:36
Was doing a left turn yesterday at an intersection, a bike came up right beside me on my right and turned left right in front of me. Never saw him in my mirrors as he must have been right beside me for a while, and only just noticed him as he turned in front of me. Think its a bit rude and irresponsible actually, he could have waited until I turned before passing me. I have no problem with letting people pass me, and I always pull out of peoples way so they can pass, but only on straights, not on friggin corners.

Hitcher
8th September 2008, 11:31
On some bikes I've ridden the mirrors have been purely decorative. Either rear view has been totally obscured by my waif-like carcass, or they have vibrated to buggery and back, reducing any rearward view to an incoherent blur. Kawasakis are good at the former, and Suzukis the latter.

slimjim
8th September 2008, 11:40
gee's what's behind is whats there ... fucked if i pay much attention .. to be honest, rather turn the head and check, otherwise would need a wider set of bars or a longer set of mirror shafts :msn-wink: i like looking at my shoulders ..:rolleyes: i see the bug's hitting :bleh:

nope .:blank:. i really do pay more attention to where's i'm going rather than where's i've been ..

Taz
8th September 2008, 12:32
I have 2 street bikes. One's German and the mirrors work. One's Italian and the mirrors are ornaments.

Murray
8th September 2008, 12:35
I thought the mirrors on Harley's were so the riders could look at themselves and see how cool they are??????

buellbabe
8th September 2008, 12:50
The Buell mirrors are good but I am about to replace them with some sexy wee Aprilia ones that will probably be FARKIN useless...I am a bit concerned but will just deal with it cos I always check over my shoulder anyway! Mindyou if they are too pathetically useless then I'll sigh and put the lollypops back on...

Some peeps only have a right hand mirror on their bikes...how does THAT work on a 3 lane highway... I guess they must be vigilant at looking over their shoulders eh?

yungatart
8th September 2008, 15:00
Use them for looking in, you mean? What a novel idea!
Umm, where do I hang my handbag now tho?

dpex
15th September 2008, 19:29
Mr Yamaha, when he designed the 600 said, 'Glasshopper, the lefrection of your behind is as impotent as the view ahead, unress you rook. And so, glasshopper, on this machine I will give you a proper view,'

And so he did. In my mirrors, which get my attention every 60 seconds or so, I can see all but about 3M directly behind me.

However, sometimes during the moment of overtaking excitement, I fail to look in the mirror till I'm into the overtake. Then I look, Then I remember I didn't look. Then I image some serious speedster on a bike which wasn't logged onto my rear mental pic just a minute ago, but who arrived at a gazillion miles and hour, making his bike have sex with mine.

Gawd, but I have so much to learn! :--(((

Are we all wearing black arm-bands on Saturday, to show our respect for a biker committing himself to the the living death of marriage?

James Deuce
15th September 2008, 19:37
Yes, "arm" bands are a good idea. I know where I'm wearing mine.

Poor bloke.

jamiey
15th September 2008, 19:39
On the subject of mirrors, anyone got any helpful tips to get them set right before you start your journey, I often seem to be adjusting mine whilst riding which for obvious reasons isn't the best idea. Thought someone may have a handy tip for this??

The Stranger
15th September 2008, 19:49
On the subject of mirrors, anyone got any helpful tips to get them set right before you start your journey, I often seem to be adjusting mine whilst riding which for obvious reasons isn't the best idea. Thought someone may have a handy tip for this??

Yeah, remove them, they are an unnecessary distraction whilst riding.
All the more so if you have to adjust them whilst riding.

Guided_monkey
10th October 2008, 22:29
Mirrors on the VTR are well.... crap. Most of the view is of my elbows. But have learnt to pull my arm in straighter when trying to see behind.

So when I look, I look with intent :eek:and keep a mental picture of who, what and where other road users are.

Has saved my ass a number of times in winter.:2guns:

nadroj
11th October 2008, 09:13
As much as it is any riders responsibility to check their mirrors regularly & before attempting a manouvre, It is pertinent for anyone riding behind another to position themselves to be easily viewable in the leading riders mirror.

dipshit
11th October 2008, 09:49
They're not farken painted on
They're an essential piece of kit on your bike for a reason
Adjust the farken things them so you can see what's behind you
Check the farken things regularly

This message inspired 24ZKK of the NW motorway... who ever you may be...

You are talking to motorcyclists. People here spend their day complaining about car drivers not using their mirrors and driving unsafely.

It doesn't mean motorcyclists are going to use their mirrors and drive safely. Their shit never stinks.

Nagash
11th October 2008, 16:56
You are talking to motorcyclists. People here spend their day complaining about car drivers not using their mirrors and driving unsafely.

It doesn't mean motorcyclists are going to use their mirrors and drive safely. Their shit never stinks.

+1!

It's amazing how much better motorcyclists are on the road then car users isn't it.

piston broke
11th October 2008, 17:23
mirrors on my bike are just vibrating ornaments,i always look over the shoulder,even in the crate.
saw my first 1098 on the road today,noticed he had to lift his elbow to see behind through his mirrors

Coyote
11th October 2008, 17:36
Ok, I'll use my mirrors more often. I must admit, my shoulders are rather sexy.

Owl
11th October 2008, 18:16
My 05 S3 mirrors sucked big time and I hate not being able to see behind me. Found a pair of 07 mirrors on Trademe for $50 and I've never looked back!:rofl:

Swoop
11th October 2008, 19:11
I've noticed a certain amount, of the commuting population, who have quite decent mirrors yet fail to adjust them to an adequate position.
Much as you see cages that have the central mirror perfectly adjusted to administer the makeup, some riders have yet to learn about their mirrors.
They are not welded in place and can be adjusted.

Waits for streams of "my bike has shitty mirrors & no matter how I adjust them..."

Matt_TG
12th October 2008, 18:02
My 05 S3 mirrors sucked big time and I hate not being able to see behind me. Found a pair of 07 mirrors on Trademe for $50 and I've never looked back!:rofl:

Nice, real nice!!

1 Free Man
12th October 2008, 18:15
Use them for looking in, you mean? What a novel idea!
Umm, where do I hang my handbag now tho?
Pull out the choke and hang it on that! LOL Knew a woman once who used to do that. She couldn't understand why her car drank juice like a V8. She was driving an 850cc Mini!!:doh:

Roki_nz
13th October 2008, 11:18
On some bikes I've ridden the mirrors have been purely decorative. Either rear view has been totally obscured by my waif-like carcass, or they have vibrated to buggery and back, reducing any rearward view to an incoherent blur. Kawasakis are good at the former, and Suzukis the latter.

Too true, I can't see jack in my kawas mirrors i tend to sholder check more often to compensate

sunhuntin
13th October 2008, 11:52
Mirrors on the VTR are well.... crap. Most of the view is of my elbows. But have learnt to pull my arm in straighter when trying to see behind.

ive learned that trick as well. confuses me a tad when i have susan on the back and i pull my arm in and still cant see cos its her arm thats in the way, lol.

some riders behind need to think about the riders in front as well. when i went down south, the bike blew over in picton, smashing the right hand mirror beyond use.
on the welly road heading north [on that 4 lane road with the cheese cutter in the middle, by the cemetary with the maori name] i had a goldwing pass me on the right in my lane. because i didnt have the right mirror, and i couldnt see him in the left, i damn near fell off in fright. there were two lanes, and i was in the slow lane. PITA. had the bike been louder, i would have heard it coming, but goldwings are too quiet for their own good.

Mikkel
14th October 2008, 22:45
Mirrors are a great way to save weight - at least that's what I took away from looking at an RSV on my way to Akaroa this weekend. I guess he really managed to lower his center of gravity by leaving those 2 fatty kgs of helmet internals at home as well.

Anyway, using your mirrors are all well and good - but don't forget the headcheck too. The blindspot is not really a spot - it's actually a rather significant angle.