PDA

View Full Version : How far is your daily commute (total km)?

XP@
8th September 2008, 13:49
I am trying to work out how far is too far.

Given the other options on my plate at the moment a 200km daily commute is not really that bad an option. The roads are easy and estimated time should be no more than 1.5hrs each way (on bike, longer on the train).

If you have done similar I would like to know your experiances.

Cheers

Badjelly
8th September 2008, 14:04

Given the other options on my plate at the moment a 200km daily commute is not really that bad an option. The roads are easy and estimated time should be no more than 1.5hrs each way (on bike, longer on the train).

I'd take the train.

Swoop
8th September 2008, 14:05
Less than 25km.
But that can be extended to >150km on the way home if the mood takes...:ride:

Why don't you move closer to Wellytown?

Badjelly
8th September 2008, 14:08
A bloke at work rides from Otaki to Wellington (Greta Point) every day on a DRZ400SM. I haven't asked how long it takes, but you'd think it would have to be 50 minutes at least. He seems to like it.

Big Dave
8th September 2008, 14:12

Cheers

Yeah - I've commuted Australian distances.

3 months of fun, 3 months of tolerable, 3 months of quite a chore, a PITA 3 hours on every working day and worn out bikes and tyres burden thereafter.

NighthawkNZ
8th September 2008, 14:35
I walk the 1.5 km to and from work..

slofox
8th September 2008, 14:41
7km if I go via the cage route....40 or 60 km via the bike routes...that's each way, BTW....depends on how nice the morning is!

James Deuce
8th September 2008, 14:43
I was doing 3.5 hours each way in the UK for a while. Definitely too far.

The Pastor
8th September 2008, 14:44
mines 20ish km one way. so about 40km all up.

Takes about 15min on a bike 1 way :)

<Rhino>
8th September 2008, 15:03
I do about 70 odd K'ms each day between Upper Hutt and Porirua. Nice open roads, a few twisties on the way. (corners I mean not the snacks :corn:) takes about 1/2 an hour, bit longer when its wet.

1 1/2 hours would be too long for me, thats alot of time out of your day....move closer!

portokiwi
8th September 2008, 15:09
:Oops: about 3km each way....
But I just have to take the motorcycle. If I take the push bike I would have to peddle.:scooter:

glice
8th September 2008, 15:16
It depends what you do when your not working. I have things to do so I wouldnt go that far. otherwise id go for it.

road king
8th September 2008, 15:25
50km ride from my house to work takes about 35minutes. it wakes me up in the morning and is good to unwind after work.

i think 1 1/2 hours would be a bit far though

XP@
8th September 2008, 15:41
A bloke at work rides from Otaki to Wellington (Greta Point) every day on a DRZ400SM. I haven't asked how long it takes, but you'd think it would have to be 50 minutes at least. He seems to like it.

I'm thinking about Levin, only another 15mins each way... 30mins a day.
Otaki is a good trip all the same.

Swoop
8th September 2008, 15:44
...every day on a DRZ400SM. I haven't asked how long it takes, but you'd think it would have to be 50 minutes at least. He seems to like it.

That sounds like pure, unadulterated, hell...:love::Punk:

XP@
8th September 2008, 15:49
Yeah - I've commuted Australian distances.

3 months of fun, 3 months of tolerable, 3 months of quite a chore, a PITA 3 hours on every working day and worn out bikes and tyres burden thereafter.

Ah, true, tyres... will need to chenge them a bit more often...

If a rear lasts 10,000 and a front 20,000 (may need to change brand (or put a metal band around the outside) and I do 45000kms in the year.
That will be 5 rears and 2.5 fronts or $1500 in tyres.
Plus a few more services than i would otherwise need.

However, I do ride a Honda, so it will go forever... right...

Cajun
8th September 2008, 15:52
i communted tauranga to hamilton 3-4 days a week for a year, thats 100kms each way.

with ya transalp should be fine, they are pretty bullet proof, easy on tires, and parts.

Taz
8th September 2008, 15:54
I spent years commuting 114kms a day and in the end I figured that the closer home is to work the better. Especially now that fuel is so high.

Big Dave
8th September 2008, 16:06
Just saying - what about...

200km x 5 = 1000km per week = 1 lube service every 5 weeks.

I major service every 10.

In 2 years you have a Transalp with (another) 100,000km on the clock. Not a strong position for a trade.

The rewards for the job need to be commensurate.

jafar
8th September 2008, 16:32

Cheers

Wellies to Levin in 1.5 hours in rush hour traffic? Add in the weather factor & servicing/tyres/high milage/depreciation & then do your sums again. :shutup:

I'd suggest moving closer to the job & enjoying the 'rural lifestyle' that Levin can offer :done:

mstriumph
8th September 2008, 16:42
i'm currently 34 kms from work on a niiiiiice road :love:
previous job i was 84kms away - also on a niiiiice road most of the way

don't mind either of them as you can keep moving ..... what i'd hate would be to be in a mass-traffic situation with piles of lights and coffee-swilling, lipstick-applying, newspaper-reading maniac cagers on all sides ... :confused:

it's all about the road .....

XP@
8th September 2008, 16:46
Wellies to Levin in 1.5 hours in rush hour traffic? Add in the weather factor & servicing/tyres/high milage/depreciation & then do your sums again. :shutup:

I'd suggest moving closer to the job & enjoying the 'rural lifestyle' that Levin can offer :done:

You are right, probably more like an 1hr 10mins in 'rush hour', I cut my teeth in the UK so am not afraid of a small gap or a bit of weather.

The fuel, tyres, depreciation are important, however, I also need to take in to account (and are still negated by) the difference in house prices and proximity to friends & rellies.

nico
8th September 2008, 16:56
my daily comuit about 90km per day from the hutt to air port easy ride could defently do with some twistys on the way though

alanzs
8th September 2008, 17:06
I used to commute 120k's (80 miles) each way in the worst traffic imaginable back in LA. 2 hours each way, on a good day. On a horrible day, up to 4 hours each way. Put 65,000 k's on a bike in a year traveling that grind.
Now, I go 4 k's to work each way. Easy peasy, lemon squeesy!

Coldkiwi
8th September 2008, 17:25
Just saying - what about...

200km x 5 = 1000km per week = 1 lube service every 5 weeks.

I major service every 10.

In 2 years you have a Transalp with (another) 100,000km on the clock. Not a strong position for a trade.

The rewards for the job need to be commensurate.

Good point dave. I'm doing a 45km commute each way frum Hunua to AKL CBD and its certainly not doing much for the resale value adding 20,000km on the clock each year.

I honestly think you'd get real sick of it. Either that or the only way to put up with the drive will be to cane it for most of the way to stave off boredom which increases your chances of getting caught. I can assure on days that you've just had a gutsful and want to be home (but its still miles away), that throttle is looking mighty tempting!!

besides - its also a royal PITA not being able to get home easily to go out again at night. for me, its worth it but if it was much further I think it'd be hard to justify living so far away

Motig
8th September 2008, 17:38
It doesn't really matter what distance other people travel to an from work. What matters is would you be happy with the distance your talking of. If you have to ask I'd say your not really looking forward to it. One thing tho, you can always alternate how you get there (car one day, bike next, train etc) specially if the weathers shitty. What ever you do after a while it will just seem normal.

fLaThEaD FreD
8th September 2008, 18:02
6.5km either way.......but I alwayz try to go a longer way home.:scooter:

XP@
8th September 2008, 18:47
It doesn't really matter what distance other people travel to an from work. What matters is would you be happy with the distance your talking of. If you have to ask I'd say your not really looking forward to it. One thing tho, you can always alternate how you get there (car one day, bike next, train etc) specially if the weathers shitty. What ever you do after a while it will just seem normal.

Thinking further, I think i would really like it... I can always take a detour or two without much impact on travel time :-) And, the next time I am able to do the Rusty Nuts Grand Challenge I will be well fit !

Thinking further on Big Daves resale comment, bikes are to be ridden, ridden it will be :-)

SPman
8th September 2008, 18:51
102 km each way door to carpark = bike once a week at best. The train is cheaper and only 20mins longer, plus I get to read books and blog with the laptop, watch videos, play games, listen to music, etc etc........

niero
8th September 2008, 19:19
Good god, even on a motorbike the petrol bill must be excessive, I spend $40 on petrol a week and that even hurts (but then again I am russian and paying for something that you are selling and then buying in an other country with extra tax can get somewhat annoying) have you thought of living closer to your workplace, in the longrun it will save you heaps, lets see, lets say you ride something reasonable, $30 per $200km at 100km/h. each day (YAICKS) $30 per day, 210 per week, 10'920 per year... + you have to account for america invading the rest of middle east which will boost prices up even further. Also what is your position when riding (upright, back, forwards) I am asking because if you ride a sporty to work (I am asuming) you will find that your forearms will get very soar and after a while your neck will too. Had to do the same for a bout a month when I moved out of my house and had to flat while the other one was being built. Anyway, good luck with it.

Nikolai

jrandom
8th September 2008, 19:22
Most days, I pedal 17km each way on the pushy. Takes 45 minutes, and I have been assured that it is good for me.

<_<

It's certainly cheaper than burbling through stopped traffic in second gear on a GSX1400.

nallac
8th September 2008, 19:35
Most days, I pedal 17km each way on the pushy. Takes 45 minutes, and I have been assured that it is good for me.:eek5:

<_<

It's certainly cheaper than burbling through stopped traffic in second gear on a GSX1400.

yeah but is it as much fun?

my ride is only 22k's return,so its a given that i'll ride rain hail or shine

Big Dave
8th September 2008, 19:36
yeah but is it as much fun?

Downhill.

Motorbikes are just pushbikes that go forever downhill.

nallac
8th September 2008, 19:52
Downhill.

Motorbikes are just pushbikes that go forever downhill.

the hard parts getting to the top of the hill to go down it.

thats the part that'll bugga me.

Kevnz
8th September 2008, 19:53
mine is 6.5km each way, but 12km home on a nice day the long way. Don't need a coffee in the morning when I get to work to wake up. Good way to unwind on the way home. Have only taken the car twice in the last 2 years. 80 kph roads all the way and some great roundabouts.

old git
8th September 2008, 20:27
165k's round trip for 5 days a week {yep 800+ per week}..........and in the last 38 weeks i've missed 8 days.........and gone in the cage, coz snow and ice on the old xs1100 ain't good...........otherwise it's 45 mins of country roads that are quite fun, especially as i've normally got the heated suit on !! .....{hey i'm getting old}.
Whats the old saying........A RIDE A DAY KEEP THE DOCTOR AWAY..... or was it A ride a day keeps the old girl happy!!!

rottiguy
8th September 2008, 20:54
I do 30km each way which takes 20mins in the tin top or 15mins on the banditmobile :) 300km per week, oh the humanity

bart
8th September 2008, 21:41
I do 12km a day......and that includes going home for lunch.

Toaster
8th September 2008, 22:51
Used to ride into the Auck CBD, so about 90kms round trip.

I will miss riding to work....

Griffin
9th September 2008, 08:32
I do 10 k each way rain or shine. Its an easy commute on two main roads. I dont think I could do a daily commute of 1.5 hrs each way - I like going for a ride but not to a fixed regular destination... its nice to just follow your nose on a long ride and see where your bike takes you.

Mr Merde
9th September 2008, 09:27
I was doing 3.5 hours each way in the UK for a while. Definitely too far.

Feel for you. My last job in the UK was in Bracknell. Commuted there from Cardiff.

130 miles each way (210km) Not too good when you are tired.

Here in NZ just a modest 100km each way from the CBD in Auckland to Port Waikato.

slimjim
9th September 2008, 11:08
[A RIDE A DAY KEEP THE DOCTOR AWAY..... or was it A ride a day keeps the old girl happy!!![/QUOTE]

:clap: Bro her mood changes the minute you leave anyhow..:rolleyes:

mine was from Papamoa to Rotorua six days aweek, some on bike some in tinroof.. never got tried of it, :niceone:

Badjelly
9th September 2008, 12:17
Most days, I pedal 17km each way on the pushy. Takes 45 minutes, and I have been assured that it is good for me.

Aren't you glossing over something here, jrandom? Like the fact that you're not currently allowed to ride your GSX1400? "I love riding my bicycle and it's good for me. La la la." Sheesh.

jrandom
9th September 2008, 12:36
Aren't you glossing over something here, jrandom? Like the fact that you're not currently allowed to ride your GSX1400? "I love riding my bicycle and it's good for me. La la la." Sheesh.

The timing worked out well. Losing my licence for three months was more of a coincidence than anything else. I spent three years pedal-commuting back in the day, and I've moved back to West Auckland so that I can get back into it. I'll be continuing to do so after my licence suspension's over.

(And it's not as though a little thing like not having a licence would stop me from riding my motorcycle, is it?)

kiwifruit
9th September 2008, 12:39
The timing worked out well. Losing my licence for three months was more of a coincidence than anything else. I spent three years pedal-commuting back in the day, and I've moved back to West Auckland so that I can get back into it. I'll be continuing to do so after my licence suspension's over.

(And it's not as though a little thing like not having a licence would stop me from riding my motorcycle, is it?)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xx5p_wv_izo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xx5p_wv_izo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

southernmike
9th September 2008, 13:17
Did 120km per day (60 each way) for about 7 years. Didn't mind it. I did enjoy it when work moved closer to home. I would hate to live to close to work as I wouldn't get to ride as much. Currently live 16km from work and have the real choice of three different routes and the unreal choice of a few more. I say unreal because if I take them I might as well skip work and go on a proper ride!

sels1
9th September 2008, 15:48
Live about a k from wk...sometimes I walk it, sometimes I ride. Sometimes I walk in the morning and walk home at lunchtime to get the bike so I can get home faster after work :laugh:

Xp@ -If you shifted to the Kapiti area its a short commute to Levin while still not to far from friends/family in Wgtn

XP@
9th September 2008, 16:26
Live about a k from wk...sometimes I walk it, sometimes I ride. Sometimes I walk in the morning and walk home at lunchtime to get the bike so I can get home faster after work :laugh:

Xp@ -If you shifted to the Kapiti area its a short commute to Levin while still not to far from friends/family in Wgtn

Its work in welly and play in levin.

I noticed a bar called "sels place" on the way back from levin on sunday, not you?

danchop
9th September 2008, 19:50
shit i remember doing a 140km round trip on a 1972 suzuki gt250 back when i started working in the mid eighties,crap riding gear back then for the frosty and wet days but i did it for a good 3-4 years every day,when the gt blew up i progressed to doing it on an xr600 with hard knobblys as i raced it on weekends

gt_phanta
10th September 2008, 08:45
about 1.5kms from home to work.

hellnback
10th September 2008, 15:54
65-70kms each way, f-all corners, too many cops, leave in the dark - home in the dark, use over $80 week in fuel, oil changes every 2 months, tyres every 5-6 months and only worn in the middle. Apart from that all good. Oh and your odo jumps to 125000km and you realise that when you go to sell your bike everyone will think it's a POS because fo the high kms even though it has never let you down... ever.

XP@
10th September 2008, 23:48
Just done some numbers and am still not really put off...

Based on approx:
Fuel: $2.00 / l and 17km / l
Tyres: Rear - $150 lasts 15,000kms & Front $120 lasts 20,000
Service: minor every 5,000, full every 10,000
Depreciation: After 180,000kms the bike will be worth nada
Plus some for chains and riding gear, helmet, jacket, pants and a bit of rounding. I have not included insurance because it would be paid anyway

Estimated commuting costs over 1 month:
25km's each way = $250 / month
50km's each way = $500 / month
75km's each way = $750 / month
100km's each way = $1000 / month

These are what I would expect to see on my 650 Transalp, a fairly sensible bike. Which both has the grunt to ride the distance but is still easy on parts & consumables. If you tried the same on a sports bike i guess the numbers would be a lot higher.

kasper
11th September 2008, 06:53
what happens if you dont stop traveling till you get back home?

7km to work (used to be 45km) then 300km to 500km in the truck then another 7km home.

road king
11th September 2008, 13:54
what happens if you dont stop traveling till you get back home?

7km to work (used to be 45km) then 300km to 500km in the truck then another 7km home.

thats what im doing at the moment, 50km to work, 300-400km in the truck then 50km home. just have to remember to switch brain over from 'bike mode'
to 'truck mode':blink:

sels1
11th September 2008, 15:41
I noticed a bar called "sels place" on the way back from levin on sunday, not you?

I've seen that too but no, not mine. The best I can do is a wine rack and a beer fridge!

Sparky Bills
11th September 2008, 15:47

I followed him the other night...
I ride from Waikanae to Lower Hutt each day.
Piekok hill EVERYDAY rain or shine :woohoo: