PDA

View Full Version : VIN /Vehicle compliance regulations???

R6_kid
23rd January 2005, 11:48
Im in the progress of preparing my mighty ZXR250 for VIN-ing/compliance and i am just wondering if someone can point me towards a list of the regulations for a motorcycle to get VIN-ed etc.

I put a new o-ring on it the other day so i've been taking it for blats round the block and having an absolute blast so far! cant wait to get a rego and warrant so i can take it out on some decent roads :Punk: :ride:

Waylander
23rd January 2005, 11:56
BEWARE!! the MAF station is the place that you need to go to get it VINed as far as i can tell any WOF station can do it but MAF (in my book atleast) seem to not get the job done right cause i have had to hold my riding up for the last six months becouse MAF has the wrong VIN# for it.
the compliance is only slightly more strict than a normal WOF and luckinly you only have to do it once. youll have to find a testing centre in your area that does compliance for motorbikes. ohter than that just make sure you are involved in the whole process from the begining otherwise you might end up like me :mad: good luck mate

Rainbow Wizard
23rd January 2005, 13:47
If so you need to prove it aint got banana skins for brake pads. Usually the only way is to buy new pads and get a letter of verification from the supplier that enables one doh bureaucrat to be able to shift the blame for any mishap onto another person. Then you're sweet.
I managed to get by just replacing the front pads on the NTV (smokescreen effect) and making the virtually unworn rear pads look obviously new. The tester also acknowledged the whole process was bullshit and maybe that made him a bit of a pushover.
Yes, only some certifiers are authorised to VIN bikes, I used a car importer with its own VIN division.

fliplid
23rd January 2005, 14:06
I brought my bike with me from England, and had to go through the whole rigmarole of providing paperwork just to get through the compliance thing...brake declaration test (needed new rear pads!), bill of lading (how and where it came in, and the MAF bit), proof of ownership (receipts, etc), proof of original registration number in UK, driving license.... All it gets you is a VIN number (er...which aint changed from the one from the factory...) and a reg plate, oh, and a good dent in your wallet!

Waylander
23rd January 2005, 14:12
All it gets you is a VIN number (er...which aint changed from the one from the factory...) and a reg plate, oh, and a good dent in your wallet!

Lucky me, everything is paid for by the school im attending so its not that big a bother. im only upset cause i have never been off my bike for more than a week since i got my licence (even with the broken arm..... i just didnt leave first gear then)

FROSTY
23rd January 2005, 18:03
Im in the progress of preparing my mighty ZXR250 for VIN-ing/compliance and i am just wondering if someone can point me towards a list of the regulations for a motorcycle to get VIN-ed etc.

I put a new o-ring on it the other day so i've been taking it for blats round the block and having an absolute blast so far! cant wait to get a rego and warrant so i can take it out on some decent roads :Punk: :ride:
Gareth -give me a call and I'll have a look over her for ya.
as I recall its a rebuilt write off. --Was it dereged by time or deliberately when it was crashed?
theres a few things you'll need to sort out but nothing too bad

R6_kid
23rd January 2005, 19:54
its a rebuilt crashed bike. No broken bits anymore, its got new pads on the front, soon to get new pads on the rear, and possible a new disk aswell. Also gonna need a new rear tire.

It was de-reg'd because im a procrastinater (sp)... i could have changed ownership and put the rego on hold, i dont think the last owner submitted change of ownership papers... and i never submitted my end when i bought it as it de-reg'd about 4days after i got it.

The other thing to add is that the only contact i had for the guy i bought it off was on my old cellphone, which dropped out of my pocket and totally killed itself - alas, no way to contact the man for proof of purchase etc