PDA

View Full Version : 1st SMIDNSY

s_devo
8th September 2008, 21:49
Well I've been riding for a grand total of 10 days now and have had my first SMIDNSY - Sorry Mate I Did Not See You!

I was coming down The Grt South Road at Penrose at 2:15pm this afternoon when a courier van on my left pulled straight out in front of me. The bastard - right after looking straight at me. :gob:

Once my brain had worked out that he actually wasn't stopping and the laws of physics were about to apply to my livelyhood (and I'd gotten my 1st swear words articulated), I managed to drop a gear and tried slowing down. In the wet though I could see myself easily sliding underneath - arriving at that nice sweet spot in the middle between his two sets of moving wheels.

Angels must have arrived at my side and with them some traction as I managed somehow to ride behind the back of the van!

Thank goodness the left hand lane was free at the time.:sweatdrop

bomma
8th September 2008, 22:14
fuck mate, everyone here will know how you felt so it's good to hear that you managed to get away clean!! hope ya got off and let the prick know exactly how you felt and left him a reminder mark so that he'll never make the mistake again!! the armour on the gloves are really hard for a good fucking reason ;)

dino3310
8th September 2008, 22:16
even when they see you and your in the right they still expect you to move for them, just assume that every other vehicle was out to get you and be ready for evasive action, be on the look out.
be weary or sooner or later that SMIDNSY gonna lay you down.
rant over.

welcome s_devo your gonna have a lot of fun and some really good times on
the GSX.

s_devo
11th September 2008, 12:38
Thanks for the tips - I noticed I took my car to work the last few days and have been feeling wary and a little down. However, I'm back on my bike today and reminded why I'm loving it. Pace courrier vans will be getting a taste for the armour on my gloves from now on!

yod
11th September 2008, 12:41
jeebus

move out of Aucks

shithole of a place to ride

glad it didn't amount to anything more than aggravation

Okey Dokey
11th September 2008, 14:09
Wow, close call especially after only 10 days in the saddle. Good reactions from the sound of it. Most importantly you & the bike are okay.

s_devo
11th September 2008, 22:39
Out of Auckland would be good I agree! I'm looking to move next year.

One of the great things I've found with being totally fresh to riding is that I'm getting a whole new relationship with travelling - I'm noticing a whole range of new sensations. Noticing too how poorly some of the roads are maintained and also how ignorant drivers really are. Love being able to park up just about anywhere too!

s_devo
19th September 2008, 17:47
Anyone with tips!

OOh the evil thoughts I've been having! :shutup: This week I had two people decide to "merge" like a zip :no: into the lane I was in - effectively pushing me out of my lane.

Anyone got any helpful suggestions that wouldn't involve me wobbling around trying to get a left boot into that blond woman's red honda integra.

I've got a copy of Ride to Live but there's no help there...

discotex
20th September 2008, 17:32
OOh the evil thoughts I've been having! :shutup: This week I had two people decide to "merge" like a zip :no: into the lane I was in - effectively pushing me out of my lane.

Your best solution.... Assume it's going to happen and don't be there in the first place. Either get in front or behind.

You'll learn to identify the spots but to give you a head start motorway on-ramps, end of passing lanes, and two lane roundabouts (people slip lanes mid turn all the time) are the places you can expect it the most.

Lane position makes a big difference as well. Generally you want to be roughly in the right hand wheel track or just to the right of the car.

Unless you're in the right-most lane - then you want to be in the left wheel track (so you're in their mirrors).

This increases your forward visibility as you can look over the side of the car at the road ahead. Also gives you more options if the car in-front slams on it's brakes or swerves around something.

s_devo
22nd September 2008, 22:04
Awesome thanks - I had one of the motorway on-ramps one today. Stunning evening for riding. I've identified some other gaps today around fast stopping that I need some safe practice on.