PDA

View Full Version : Taumarunui rider training experience

F5 Dave
10th September 2008, 13:31
Well actually I’m leading you on a bit as it’s a bit of a DIY job you see.

But I think that this event (11/12 Oct) is excellent for racetrack type learning. You will learn more here at this event than a whole season of the Slipway or many other tracks.

It is a fun track to ride, pretty short, but has some tricky pieces that take quite some time & thinking about to master. When you ‘get’ a section; it is a bit of a Eureka moment as it suddenly makes sense. There are section changes, up & down hills, one up corner where it is hard not to drag your knee, followed by a snotty tight corner leading onto a downhill section that is important for launching onto the straight for max effect there.

But the best bit is the sweeper after the straight that has ½ doz lines in, -which one you choose may affect your exit as it tightens up, but that section is quite banked -so slingshots you around & up the next rise. It’s magic to get it right. You are unlikely on the first day as you get your head around it, but the 2nd day while it is still fresh you can go out & retry your new ideas (with input from others over a few beers the night before).

If you were considering not coming, but somehow can make it I totally recommend this event. I’m sure a few of the more experienced hands will gladly offer advice & if the organisers have time maybe a coaching session (though that would be up to the organisers & their schedule). Organise to travel with some other like minded person you hardly know. Camp at the track or the local Hilton. C'mon, you have a month to sort it.

Skunk
10th September 2008, 15:10
I am going and will gladly take any advice on lines you can offer.

F5 Dave
10th September 2008, 16:14
apparently Cocaine off a hooker's midriff if you are a Rock Star.:rockon:

Str8 Jacket
10th September 2008, 17:52
Shame I sold my bucket cause that'd be awesome! Great idea Dave! :niceone:

koba
12th September 2008, 10:27
Farket!
Next year....

maybe
14th September 2008, 01:15
I was born and bred in Taumarunui, so where is the track that you are talking about??????

F5 Dave
15th September 2008, 10:02
Next to the Kart track clubrooms & lap scorers box.:sunny:

. . .some farm short way down that road to Turangi.

maybe
15th September 2008, 21:25
Was wondering if that was it. I used take the Ambulance out to the track on there race days, Neville Chapman had a lot to do with it then, I am talking almost 20 years ago.