PDA

View Full Version : Swappies - looking for a 650

CRM
10th September 2008, 21:47
I've decided to leave behind my passion for going impossible places on a motorcycle and settle down to the tamer:Oops: and cleaner world of adventure riding. So looking to sell/ swap my Pampera see: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=81186

I've decided I need a 650 Dual Purpose (DR, KLR, XT, Transalp, Dakar). Pampera is worth about $4000 (2006 road regoed) - looking to get something around $6000ish?? In reality I'll probably be doing mostly road miles with a bit of gravel/ tracks so probably aiming towards the more distance bikes.

Any bites?:yes:

Gizzit
11th September 2008, 12:27
Well I'm looking to sell my DR .... get in touch if you think it would suit. I'm not looking for a Gas Gas though, sorry.
Pictures of my bike on my profile. Scoot is for sale as well.
Cheers,
Grant.

mazz1972
11th September 2008, 15:20
Well I'm looking to sell my DR .... get in touch if you think it would suit. I'm not looking for a Gas Gas though, sorry.
Cheers,
Grant.

Gizzit - you didn't like the DR? If I hadn't already got a KLE I'd have been very keen coz it's black!

Gizzit
11th September 2008, 16:50
Gizzit - you didn't like the DR? If I hadn't already got a KLE I'd have been very keen coz it's black!

The DR is a very good bike. It's one of the classics, and they are known for being reliable and virtually indestructable. I just find that it isn't exactly what I want. But in saying that, I'm pretty terrible at keeping bikes. I like to try different bikes. It does tend to get a bit expensive though ...... :shit: :laugh: but hey ....

pete376403
11th September 2008, 19:49
The new '09KLRs are all black with a smallish green flash on the side covers.
Motorad in Wellington have a couple on the floor looking for new homes

pete376403
11th September 2008, 19:51
In reality I'll probably be doing mostly road miles with a bit of gravel/ tracks so probably aiming towards the more distance bikes.

Any bites?:yes:
This is the natural territory of the new KLRs - more road (including gravel roads), less dirt (ie snotty trail) oriented than the DRs.

Crisis management
12th September 2008, 08:11

Are these the ones with the increased oil capacity to cope with the "elevated" consumption levels?

Apart from that bit, you're right, they are a good adventure bike.

CRM
12th September 2008, 09:02
Cheers,
Grant.

Your DR looks really nice... probably out of my price range though at least untill I sell the Gas Gas and pay off the overdraft and the credits cards and the son's 21st... maybe I'll give you a call and have a little ride sometime though :ride: ...it does look great.

marks
12th September 2008, 09:08
Are these the ones with the increased oil capacity to cope with the "elevated" consumption levels?

Bastard....::bash:

actually - according to Kawasaki NZ - they consider up to 1 liter per 1000km acceptable use. So just because you have to add oil every day and the people behind you cant see you for smoke it doesn't mean that theres anything wrong with the bike :crybaby:

CRM
12th September 2008, 10:25

actually - according to Kawasaki NZ - they consider up to 1 liter per 1000km acceptable use. So just because you have to add oil every day and the people behind you cant see you for smoke it doesn't mean that theres anything wrong with the bike :crybaby:

Moral of story - avoid KLR650??? Maybe stick to 2 stroke Gas Gas as uses less oil?:gob:

mazz1972
12th September 2008, 11:01

Pete, was in there a couple of weeks ago & didn't see them, they aren't even on the Kawasaki websites yet, (seems a bit daft). Being a shortass they are a bit tall for me and I find the bulky front "slightly intimidating"! I was looking around for a slightly used DR650 and it had to be black. In the meantime found a KLE500

mazz1972
12th September 2008, 11:09
The DR is a very good bike. It's one of the classics, and they are known for being reliable and virtually indestructable. I just find that it isn't exactly what I want. But in saying that, I'm pretty terrible at keeping bikes. I like to try different bikes. It does tend to get a bit expensive though ...... :shit: :laugh: but hey ....

I was looking around for a "slightly used" DR650, since I know they can be lowered just enough for me, and I wanted it in black. But that seat....and the cost of getting a more comfy one sent over from the states caused a sharp intake of breath! Our last experience of upholsterer vs bike seat here in nz was a disaster. Anyway I found a KLE500 which is "just" short enough for me and the seat is very plush.

pete376403
12th September 2008, 11:56

Apart from that bit, you're right, they are a good adventure bike.

Nope, they're the ones with the new ring set to better control the oil consumption

pete376403
12th September 2008, 11:59

Can I send you the copies of the emails between NZ and Japan re the new piston ring part numbers, dimensions, etc?
Motor Vehicle disputes tribunal have ordered the refund of purchase to a Queenstown owner - precedents have been set

marks
12th September 2008, 12:42
Can I send you the copies of the emails between NZ and Japan re the new piston ring part numbers, dimensions, etc?
Motor Vehicle disputes tribunal have ordered the refund of purchase to a Queenstown owner - precedents have been set

Thanks Pete

Apart from the oil consumption I am very happy with the bike - Its a really close fit for what I intend to use it for. I am worried that if I go into 'battle' mode over the oil consumption issue it will sour my attitude towards the bike and I will end up getting pissed off and selling it. I think I will live with things as they are for a bit and do a few longer trips etc and then sometime in the new year have a 685 kit put in.

marks
12th September 2008, 12:44
Anyway I found a KLE500 which is "just" short enough for me.

where are the photos????

Gizzit
12th September 2008, 12:54
I was looking around for a "slightly used" DR650, ........ Our last experience of upholsterer vs bike seat here in nz was a disaster. Anyway I found a KLE500 which is "just" short enough for me and the seat is very plush.

Where did your "last disastrous experience" happen with an upholsterer ?
Just curious.

pete376403
12th September 2008, 14:06
Thanks Pete

Apart from the oil consumption I am very happy with the bike - Its a really close fit for what I intend to use it for. I am worried that if I go into 'battle' mode over the oil consumption issue it will sour my attitude towards the bike and I will end up getting pissed off and selling it. I think I will live with things as they are for a bit and do a few longer trips etc and then sometime in the new year have a 685 kit put in.

well thats me too - I love the bike and am not in the least interested in having them take it back. If I can get the rings done under warranty then that will be fine.
I'd also like to get the 685 kit but that's money that could be spent on other things such as tyres and gas to go places

mazz1972
12th September 2008, 18:18
where are the photos????

Here she is.....this is her good side

mazz1972
12th September 2008, 18:31
Where did your "last disastrous experience" happen with an upholsterer ?
Just curious.

Maybe we were expecting a bit much, so maybe not fair to say, the chap has been in business for many years and was recommended by our bike mechanic who's had plenty of great jobs done by him. Was down this way anyway.

It was an effort to make a DRZ400 plank seat a little softer. Soon after ended up getting an whole new aftermarket seat anyway as the brackets on the original seat broke one to many times to fix again.

NordieBoy
12th September 2008, 18:49
Here she is.....this is her good side

That looks very capable.
A twin cylinder FreeWind.

NordieBoy
12th September 2008, 18:50
Oh and how do less dirt worthy bikes get bashplates when the DR doesn't :(

mazz1972
13th September 2008, 12:15
That looks very capable.
A twin cylinder FreeWind.

Nordie, it probably is with a better rider on it! Hubby rather quite likes it.

It's wider, taller and much heavier than what I'm used to...will take me a while to "conquer" it.

Two great days for riding this weekend and I have the lurgy :crybaby:

It does have a pretty grunty bash plate.

NordieBoy
13th September 2008, 13:11
Yeah the XF, KLE, KLR and other more road biased bikes all seem to have a good bash plate.
Even my Nordwest motard has one factory.

CRM
17th September 2008, 12:11
Back on Subject - my Gas Gas and aforementioned swappies... Just found out the base gasket needs replacing as does the front wheel bearing. Ordered parts through NV motorcylces in Morrinsville (I was down there checking out the 450 Pamperas on Monday). They have parts in Auckland warehouse so should be up in the next day or two - sweet :2thumbsup:2thumbsup. Very reasonable price too I think, $6.90 for the gasket and $28.00 for the bearing.

They were saying when i was down there that Gas Gas has got their act together now for parts so no excuses for not buying a Gaser. :yes:

I liked the 450 pamp - obviously not your full-on enduro (you get the 450 FSE for that with fuel injection, adjustable forks etc) but lighter and lower and quieter than my old DRZ400. At $8000 for runout/new one a pretty sweet deal.

mazz1972
17th September 2008, 17:20
Back on Subject

Are you hinting ever so slightly that your thread may have been hijacked? :shit:

Nah....never....not possible....ok maybe just a little....

Good luck with the Gas Gas. Any thoughts on what to replace it with yet?

:apumpin:

CRM
17th September 2008, 19:07
Are you hinting ever so slightly that your thread may have been hijacked? :shit:

Nah....never....not possible....ok maybe just a little....

Good luck with the Gas Gas. Any thoughts on what to replace it with yet?

:apumpin:

Yeah subtle hint there :Pokey: Looking at the DR650 / KLR650 controversy. The old KLR's look ugly, and I can't afford a new one, so I guess default is an older DR650. I see you have a KLE500 - you don't see many around. i had a ride on a KLE400 a couple of years ago and it seemed a nice smaller adventure bike. What are the 500s like?

mazz1972
17th September 2008, 23:08
Yeah subtle hint there :Pokey: Looking at the DR650 / KLR650 controversy. The old KLR's look ugly, and I can't afford a new one, so I guess default is an older DR650. I see you have a KLE500 - you don't see many around. i had a ride on a KLE400 a couple of years ago and it seemed a nice smaller adventure bike. What are the 500s like?

:bleh:

I reckon you'll find a pretty nice DR650 with a budget of $6K.

No, don't see many KLE500's around. Despite owning one I'm not the best person to ask, only ridden it twice, only done about 100 km's so far. After riding a 250 Sherpa for 2 years, it's a real step up in height and power, and it will take me a while to get as much confidence as I had on Sherp. Hubby has ridden it more, and he really likes it - nice smooth acceleration. A friend who has a DR650 rode it (before I did if you please) and both he & hubby said the DR650 has more low end power but the KLE would definately win out top end. It's definately a lot more "roady" than a DR.

There's too much to break on the KLE if it ends up taking soil samples - the other side of the bike (now shown in photo) needs a bit of fibreglass, bog, and paint on one of the fairings - she's was bit smunched by previous owner.

If I didn't get the KLE I would still be looking for a black DR650 which was my original choice - just happened to see the KLE.