PDA

View Full Version : Wise ones down south. questions.

martybabe
11th September 2008, 11:30
Hiya guys and Gals

In November 2008, I shall be embarking on my first ever trip around the south Island, It's gonna be in the car sadly but it's a holiday woohoo. I will be accompanied by a couple of friends from the UK and it will also be their first time, I am sooo looking forward to it. :banana:

There is of course touristy info available to me but nothing, nothing, compares to local knowledge and nobody knows a place better than bikers, so......

My biggest concern is accommodation, lets face it it's a money vacuum, can any of you nice peeps recommend a decent but reasonably priced, motel/hotel chain.

Secondly, what and where are the must do's, I doubt they'll be back again, so I'd love to show them the best of the country I love.

They are my oldest and dearest friends but it has to be said, unlike me they act their age so bungee jumping, camping and stuff is right out. I'm looking more at scenic drives, boat rides, small walks, animals, Defo Animals.

Any info you can send my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, Martybabe and the old fart possie. x

NighthawkNZ
11th September 2008, 11:34
Any info you can send my way would be greatly appreciated.

Central Otago will give all the above... Southern Scenic Route... Milford Sound...

The list is endless... ;)

Taz
11th September 2008, 11:39
When I did the south Island in Feb we mainly stayed in camp ground cabins. Cheap at 20-25 bucks a night with all camp amenities. Never booked in anywhere just turned up. We took our tents but the weather was too cold and wet for the 2 weeks we were down there. Or go thirds in a motorhome hire?

Winston001
11th September 2008, 12:14
Ok Marty, it's a big place to visit. Some back-packers accommodation is pretty good with all age groups so don't be put off that - good way to meet other people too.

If you are starting in Picton then I'd suggest heading for Nelson and then the West Coast. Down to Queenstown, ride on the Earnslaw, drive up the Remarkables Ski Field road for a picnic and a walk at 6000ft. Might see some keas :yes:.

Take the ferry from Bluff across to Stewart Island, visitors enjoy going there. Take a tourist fishing boat trip - half day, simple, and enjoyable. These boats are modern and built for tourism.

Southern Scenic Route, nice drive through farmland, coast, and bush. Check out the petrified forest at Curio Bay - even more fun if there is a storm :Punk: You might see penguins on the way.

Get arrested by Scummy at Balclutha (just a bit of local colour to tell their kids about), visit the albatross colony at Otago Peninsula, and drive through Middlemarch, Naseby and over the Dansey's Pass. The point of this is that the South Island has some vast empty landscapes which come as a surprise to people from large populations. Quite striking. Carry on through the Mackenzie Country to Christchurch and maybe check out Akaroa just for a nice spot to visit.

There are penguins in the Antartica Centre in Christchurch and for more exotic animals, Orana Park.

Over and above all of this, I'd recommend visiting a sheep farm if you can. Maybe somebody here can help. Mountains and landscapes are beautiful but many visitors seem to remember farm visits most strongly. Take them into a cowshed at milking time. :sick:

Blackbird
11th September 2008, 12:21
Hi Martin

You can't look past the Top 10 cabins dotted all round the south island - see http://www.top10.co.nz/. We always use them as they're immaculate and very sharp priced. You can either use sleeping bags or they will provide linen at a modest charge. Their website shows you the variety and location of their accomodation.

Not sure whether you've seen my south island tour report: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=52569 from last year, but that should help you with a few things to see and do. It's a paradise down there.

Cheers for now.

Geoff

blairh
11th September 2008, 12:24
Bring some warm clothes! Dunedin is a great spot, make sure you spend a night or two here. If they're in to the scenic stuff, the Albatross colony here is pretty cool. Plenty of seals, penguins etc too.

DEFINITELY go down through the Catlins, there's really nothing like it.. and if you have time I'd spend a day or two on Stewart Island.. most people forget about it, but it's an awesome spot especially if you're in to a bit of outdoor life and tramping. If they're into birds etc you can't really beat it (or so my mum says!!)

Have an awesome trip, there's some great places down here.

martybabe
11th September 2008, 13:43
Central Otago will give all the above... Southern Scenic Route... Milford Sound...

The list is endless... ;)

The list is endless isn't it, thank you so much for your help.

When I did the south Island in Feb we mainly stayed in camp ground cabins. Cheap at 20-25 bucks a night with all camp amenities. Never booked in anywhere just turned up. We took our tents but the weather was too cold and wet for the 2 weeks we were down there. Or go thirds in a motorhome hire?

That is defo the way I will be going, we've been looking at $300 pn, for 4 peeps.:gob:

Get arrested by Scummy at Balclutha (just a bit of local colour to tell their kids about), :sick:

Amazing info Winston, I think I love you.:yes: My friends are so straight laced, I feel a Scummy visit would possibly kill them.:yes:

Hi Martin

Not sure whether you've seen my south island tour report: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=52569 from last year, but that should help you with a few things to see and do. It's a paradise down there.

Cheers for now.

Geoff

Just Awesome Geoff, exactly what I needed. Thanx Mate. :niceone:

Have an awesome trip,

I will, thank you mate. :niceone:

Murray
11th September 2008, 14:00
Head down the West Coast, visit the pancake rocks, Greymouth, Holitika through the Haast Pass to Wanaka, over to Te Anau do the road to Milford (the most scenic road in NZ) either do the milford boat trip or the Doubtful sound one (thats better as it also takes in Manapouri and the Hydro Station) Back to Queenstown, Over to Dunedin and up the Coast to Christchurch, Go to Hamner Springs and back to nelson through the Lewis pass. If you have extra time go TeAnaua to Invercargill and Bluff and then up to Queenstown. OK you miss the central part of the island but you see the most beatiful areas.

southernmike
11th September 2008, 14:04
Spend the whole time in Oamaru. It rocks!
:rockon:

nodrog
11th September 2008, 14:10
Spend the whole time in Oamaru. It rocks!
:rockon:

is that the place with the concrete sheep?

southernmike
11th September 2008, 14:20
is that the place with the concrete sheep?

Oamaru stone - we're still inventing cement

nodrog
11th September 2008, 14:23

nearly stayed there in '06, until we spotted the sheep, fucked if i was going to spend the night in a tent when even the sheep were petrified. :eek:

martybabe
11th September 2008, 14:27
Head down the West Coast, visit the pancake rocks, Greymouth, Holitika through the Haast Pass to Wanaka, over to Te Anau do the road to Milford (the most scenic road in NZ) either do the milford boat trip or the Doubtful sound one (thats better as it also takes in Manapouri and the Hydro Station) Back to Queenstown, Over to Dunedin and up the Coast to Christchurch, Go to Hamner Springs and back to nelson through the Lewis pass. If you have extra time go TeAnaua to Invercargill and Bluff and then up to Queenstown. OK you miss the central part of the island but you see the most beatiful areas.

Excellent, thanks. :apint:

love it :clap:

nearly stayed there in '06, until we spotted the sheep, fucked if i was going to spend the night in a tent when even the sheep were petrified. :eek:

:laugh:

NighthawkNZ
11th September 2008, 14:40
Excellent, thanks

I would do the inland route to ChCh the canterbury plains can be a bit Beee Or Ring

Murray
11th September 2008, 15:20
I would do the inland route to ChCh the canterbury plains can be a bit Beee Or Ring

Depends on whether you go over to Dunedin or not. If you go to Dundin you can go back up north through Oamaru (Blue penguins and boulder rocks) and yes it can be a bit boring from there through to ChCh

Winston001
11th September 2008, 15:50
Head down the West Coast, visit the pancake rocks, Greymouth, Holitika through the Haast Pass to Wanaka, over to Te Anau do the road to Milford (the most scenic road in NZ) either do the milford boat trip or the Doubtful sound one (thats better as it also takes in Manapouri and the Hydro Station)........

Mmmm..... tourists rank Milford Sound as one of the world's best experiences and maybe its just because we live here but to me its only nice. Helleva long way from Te Anau - 150km plus return. Time is always a problem and I think driving down the West Coast gives a Milford-like experience. Do either/or.

The way to look at this is to consider what your friends like, and what will be new to them. Europe has lots of beautiful mountains. But open landscapes like the Mackenzie Country and the Maniototo can only be found in Spain. Also scenery can get boring. Experiences such as short walks, being on a farm, fishing boat, simply watching bungy jumping, these are much more fun than sitting in a car.

scumdog
11th September 2008, 17:09
The list is endless isn't it, thank you so much for your help.

Amazing info Winston, I think I love you.:yes: My friends are so straight laced, I feel a Scummy visit would possibly kill them.:yes:

Hey, c'mon dude, I'll wear clothes and everything!!!

But yeah, anywhere down here is worth a look, drop in and I'll give you a list of 'must see' places
:cool:

paulmac
11th September 2008, 17:17
Mate, bring a map to the gathering on the 20th and I'll point a few good routes out. Can bring photos if you want ! Not many parts of the south I haven't had a look at !

martybabe
11th September 2008, 17:45
Hey, c'mon dude, I'll wear clothes and everything!!!

But yeah, anywhere down here is worth a look, drop in and I'll give you a list of 'must see' places
:cool:

Phew, good news about the clothes mate. never quite worked out where your bit of down there is.

Mate, bring a map to the gathering on the 20th and I'll point a few good routes out. Can bring photos if you want ! Not many parts of the south I haven't had a look at !

your on mate, of course my memory processes are infamous, so don't be surprised if I turn up with a Pak and save receipt instead, :D

Bren
11th September 2008, 17:54
Dont forget to visit Gore....just remember ya gotta squeal like a pig there

FJRider
11th September 2008, 18:12
Go online to Jasons Budget Accommodation. They list most of the cheaper places to stay. Most of the Backpackers have 2/4 person rooms available. The Southern Senic Route is a must...start to finish... in either direction. This means passing through "The Riveria of The South" (Balclutha). Milford Sound is also a must (take a rain coat). Everything in Queenstown is expensive, but worth a visit. The Glaciers on the west coast are worth a look. As is the Buller gorge, Lewis pass, Arthurs pass. Hamner springs, Kaikoura coast, Marlbrough sounds, Nelson/Motuaka, Golden bay area.

kiwi cowboy
11th September 2008, 19:01

hate to piss on your parade here murry but have you been through central? and if you have its only your opinion its not beutifull.
personaly i dont agree at all and theres nothing like say driving up the old dunstan road along the old great moss swamp witch is now a lake on a nice day:whistle:

FJRider
11th September 2008, 19:09
[/U][/B]

hate to piss on your parade here murry but have you been through central? and if you have its only your opinion its not beutifull.
personaly i dont agree at all and theres nothing like say driving up the old dunstan road along the old great moss swamp witch is now a lake on a nice day:whistle:

And the really choice people that live here in Central ehh !!!!!
Makes it worth a visit...

kiwi cowboy
11th September 2008, 19:15
And the really choice people that live here in Central ehh !!!!!
Makes it worth a visit...

:woohoo:were on the same side for once:woohoo:shhhh i wont tell anyone.
but i agree and i would offer a trip around a farm but not sure exactly how bizzy i will be

TimeOut
11th September 2008, 19:30
Ok Marty, it's a big place to visit. Some back-packers accommodation is pretty good with all age groups so don't be put off that - good way to meet other people too.

If you are starting in Picton then I'd suggest heading for Nelson and then the West Coast. Down to Queenstown, ride on the Earnslaw, drive up the Remarkables Ski Field road for a picnic and a walk at 6000ft. Might see some keas :yes:.

Take the ferry from Bluff across to Stewart Island, visitors enjoy going there. Take a tourist fishing boat trip - half day, simple, and enjoyable. These boats are modern and built for tourism.

Southern Scenic Route, nice drive through farmland, coast, and bush. Check out the petrified forest at Curio Bay - even more fun if there is a storm :Punk: You might see penguins on the way.

Get arrested by Scummy at Balclutha (just a bit of local colour to tell their kids about), visit the albatross colony at Otago Peninsula, and drive through Middlemarch, Naseby and over the Dansey's Pass. The point of this is that the South Island has some vast empty landscapes which come as a surprise to people from large populations. Quite striking. Carry on through the Mackenzie Country to Christchurch and maybe check out Akaroa just for a nice spot to visit.

There are penguins in the Antartica Centre in Christchurch and for more exotic animals, Orana Park.

Over and above all of this, I'd recommend visiting a sheep farm if you can. Maybe somebody here can help. Mountains and landscapes are beautiful but many visitors seem to remember farm visits most strongly. Take them into a cowshed at milking time. :sick:

Hi
If you're going past Moeraki PM me and come and visit, we got Yellow eyed Penguins (better than the blues) both public viewing and a reserve set up on the farm. Plenty of sheep, fishing charters (heaps of blue cod) and the Moeraki bolders.

Hi Martin

You can't look past the Top 10 cabins dotted all round the south island - see http://www.top10.co.nz/. We always use them as they're immaculate and very sharp priced. You can either use sleeping bags or they will provide linen at a modest charge. Their website shows you the variety and location of their accomodation.

Cheers for now.

Geoff

If you get a Top 10 club card ($30) you get 10% off.

martybabe
11th September 2008, 20:25
Go online to Jasons Budget Accommodation. They list most of the cheaper places to stay. Most of the Backpackers have 2/4 person rooms available. The Southern Senic Route is a must...start to finish... in either direction. This means passing through "The Riveria of The South" (Balclutha). Milford Sound is also a must (take a rain coat). Everything in Queenstown is expensive, but worth a visit. The Glaciers on the west coast are worth a look. As is the Buller gorge, Lewis pass, Arthurs pass. Hamner springs, Kaikoura coast, Marlbrough sounds, Nelson/Motuaka, Golden bay area.

Loadsa useful stuff, thanks FJ, looks like I'm spoilt for choice, never a bad thing. :niceone:

Hi
If you're going past Moeraki PM me and come and visit, we got Yellow eyed Penguins (better than the blues) both public viewing and a reserve set up on the farm. Plenty of sheep, fishing charters (heaps of blue cod) and the Moeraki bolders.

If you get a Top 10 club card ($30) you get 10% off.

Sounds like a good place. Thanx for the tip about the discount.

FJRider
11th September 2008, 20:41
Watch out for those little pubs on the south island west coast. There is a trick to getting past them without stopping... one I NEVER learned...bugger eh.
Wherer ever you go, there will be places you wont like. There will be places you will like. Such is the south. Enjoy your trip in the company of people, whose company you enjoy.
If you don't see it on this trip....it will be be there...still... on the next... HAVE FUN.

Winston001
12th September 2008, 08:57
And don't try to do too much. Many visitors find themselves driving fast from one place to another, to keep up with a timetable of "must do". That becomes exhausting and places begin to blur in the memory.

That is why I suggest Milford Sound might be just too far to be worthwhile - but hey, people love it too. An alternative is to drive into Skippers Canyon at Queenstown. You get mountain views, a scary 130yr old road, high country, remote but people around, really worth doing. Warning - rental cars not allowed on this road, but its well travelled every day.

Far better to concentrate your time in a few spots.

Timeout's suggestion of Moeraki is excellent - fishing trip, farm, penguins, nice spot right beside SH1......

Murray
12th September 2008, 09:23
[/U][/B]

Not lately, but have done the trip oh about a dozen times, love the roads into and past Tekapo. Geraldine and Fairlie are also favourite towns of mine. I agree with you BUT it all depends on timing and time constraints. If you don't want to do Dunedin and Oamaru then yes take the central road through the south island from Queenstown to Christchurch through the Lindis pass, Omarama and Twizel. It all comes down to whether you want to do Alexandra, Dunedin etc. God its all so beautiful down there and the roads are so good. Apart from the skippers canyon road (and thats another must see)which was pretty hairy scarey when I was down there.

Winston001
17th September 2008, 01:56
God its all so beautiful down there and the roads are so good. Apart from the skippers canyon road (and thats another must see)which was pretty hairy scarey when I was down there.

Yeah thats the point - the Skippers road is both beautiful and scary. Its well used though so even being remote, its safe - plenty of people around. And its only a few minutes from Queenstown. :Punk:

Ripperjon
19th September 2008, 20:44
Skippers is a great drive. Awesome scenery. Don't go after the rain though cos it turns into a bloody nightmare of mud trenches from four by fours ferrying mountain bikers and rafters down there and back up every day. You're not supposed to take rental cars in there, but so long as it's dry (and you're not a shit driver!) it's fine. It's steep, narrow and gravely... but fine.

Go out to Glenorchy while you are in the Queenstown area. So many people miss it out and it's an awesome drive and a nice little town. You'll wish you were on your bike though. You can do a jetboat safari out there which is not like the shotover jet in town but more of a tame site-seeing trip with a bit of a gentle guided walk into the forest as well. Also, the horse-riding trips are awesome out there. You don't need any experience to do them. My folks are prob. in the old fart category and they loved it.

As for other 'animals'. Deer park heights is a nice short drive up one of the hills just outside queenstown where there is an animal reserve and one of the best views you'll get of the Wakatipu. It's $20 per car to go up there which goes straight back to DOC. It's worth it.

There is a nice place to stay in Queenstown called Turner Lodge. Which is like a cross between a hostel and a motel. They don't let young goups stay there so it is nice and quiet and relaxed and right in town. It's where recommended my folks stay when they came over from the UK on holiday.
They've re-booked there twice since.

I would agree with coming down (or going up) the west coast. It's amazing. Plan to stay the night at one of the glaciers. Both are worth a look. And make the effort to see LAke Matheson just slightly out of the way at Fox glacier for one of the best views you'll see.
Get a quesadilla from the saloon at Fox, or one of their massive steaks.

That said, the inland scenic route is not to be missed. Lake Tekapo and Pukaki being some of the places you'll stop for about 6 million photos.

I'll have a brainstorm and post some more stuff when i think of it.

puddytat
19th September 2008, 21:17
When your heading down the Buller Gorge keep an eye out for the Buller Gorge swingbridge,its the longest in N.Z.
Just tell the office folk youR a friend of mine (Clynt), from up Nth & they'll let you thru for free & "may" give ya's a free ride on the flying fox....
Its a pretty cool place.

martybabe
21st September 2008, 22:12
I'll have a brainstorm and post some more stuff when i think of it.

Crikey, ya put some work in there, thanx for all the info.I'm gonna print off this thread and take it with me, I'll never remember all this good advice.

It's beginning to sound like I'll need six months to do it properly. :niceone:

FJRider
21st September 2008, 22:26
I've been down here 15 years... still haven't done it all... it'll be here for a while, no rush...

martybabe
21st September 2008, 23:17
I've been down here 15 years... still haven't done it all... it'll be here for a while, no rush...

:laugh: It will be mate but I'm not sure how much longer I've got.

pritch
22nd September 2008, 10:57
Marty

I mainly used the Top 10 holday parks when I went around last year. Hanmer and Franz Joseph are highly recommended. The only one I didn't totally like was Oamaru. There is a map on the website www.top10.co.nz but you can pick up a free map from the Princes St Top 10 in Fitzroy. There isn't much detail but it's OK for planning a trip.

You're gonna be pissed off at not being on a bike when you see the roads down there but at least you'll be able to check out the scenery properly...

martybabe
22nd September 2008, 11:14
Marty

I mainly used the Top 10 holiday parks when I went around last year. Hanmer and Franz Joseph are highly recommended. The only one I didn't totally like was Oamaru. There is a map on the website www.top10.co.nz but you can pick up a free map from the Princes St Top 10 in Fitzroy. There isn't much detail but it's OK for planning a trip.

You're gonna be pissed off at not being on a bike when you see the roads down there but at least you'll be able to check out the scenery properly...

Thanks mate, I will indeed miss the bike but the compensation is, I'll be with my best pal and if the bride likes it, which I'm sure she will, we'll go down on the bike next year.

Top ten sure seems like the way to go eh.

Cheers.

helenoftroy
22nd September 2008, 21:44
When in Christchurch hope you lot can come visit me,would be great if you could......

Akaroa is definitely a nice drive from here,and you, dear martybabe will buy me coffee.....right???:lol:

How many of yous are there?

martybabe
22nd September 2008, 22:41
When in Christchurch hope you lot can come visit me,would be great if you could......

Akaroa is definitely a nice drive from here,and you, dear martybabe will buy me coffee.....right???:lol:

How many of yous are there?

Aw honey, youz gonna get the bestest coffee money can buy, might even stretch to cake if you can make the weather behave. There's me and the bride and my mate and his bride, or I could just have said 4 couldn't I. :clap:

Can't wait.

ynot slow
25th September 2008, 21:43
Enjoy the trip,call in when passing either to or from the trip,Palmy is a good stop from New Plymouth and slightly off main route to Wellington if going on the early ferry sailing,likewise on the return journey a good stop if leaving Wellington around 7.00pm,only 2&3/4 hour(235km)to NP the next day.

martybabe
27th September 2008, 23:17
Enjoy the trip,call in when passing either to or from the trip,Palmy is a good stop from New Plymouth and slightly off main route to Wellington if going on the early ferry sailing,likewise on the return journey a good stop if leaving Wellington around 7.00pm,only 2&3/4 hour(235km)to NP the next day.

Will try to Tony, thanx for the offer, more likely on the way back mate. :niceone:

martybabe
3rd October 2008, 17:36
:doh: Does any one know of a good campervan hire company that works out of Blenheim, I keep hitting a brick wall on the interweb.

I put in, campervan hire in Blenheim and all the responses come back 'campervan hire Blenheim to Blenheim' where would you like to pick up your van Aukland or Christchurch? :no:

Please help before I go even more insane.:niceone:

ynot slow
3rd October 2008, 21:19
Try Picton instead.Most companies have depot there because of ferries.

cheshirecat
11th December 2008, 21:11
We are taking two bikes. My pillion is a dog. The problem seems to be not many acco places are dog friendly