PDA

View Full Version : DRZ 400 cam chain tensioner

pete376403
24th January 2005, 01:00
Hi, anyone have experience with an '02 DRZ400 munching its cam chain tensioner? My bro-in-law has a DRZ, fairly low kms (but out of warranty) and it's in line for its third (counting the original) tensioner. He says the spring breaks, but can't be obtained as a seperate part. Should the chain be replaced at the same time? Any recommendations on an aftermarket part? Also would anyone have a pointer to a service manual download? Thanks.

XTC
24th January 2005, 18:28
Try the DRZ forum at www.thumpertalk.com The yanks refer to ut as an ACCT (automatic cam chain tensioner)

walch277
22nd February 2005, 08:44
The tensioner before '03 relies solely on spring tension to extend. At the end of its travel the spring lacks the oomph to put enough tension on the cam chain. I presume that as the chain stretches and the tensioner gets to the limit of it's travel you start to run the risk of it backing out, the chain jumping a tooth on a cam, and piston meeting valve.

I've just put a MCCT on my '01 DRZ, and despite worrying that I would get the tension wrong and stuff the bike, it was easy to istall and adjust. To be safe I pulled the rocker cover and checked timing / valve clearances at the same time.

Replacing the chain on an older bike seems sensible, but in the manual, there is no data on service limits / stretch, so I don't know if I need to do it or not.

Got my tensioner from 'pontyphil' on ebay.co.uk. Do a thumpertalk search as above.

Katman
24th February 2005, 21:47
If you take out the bolt that holds the spring in place before removing the tensioner, you can then pull the tensioner shaft out to the end of its travel. If it only has a couple of clicks left, it's a good indication that it's about time for a chain replacement. It's always best to set the engine at TDC on compression before removing the tensioner so you know the cams won't flick over from the valve spring pressure.