PDA

View Full Version : Any DVD recorder experts here?

Oakie
11th September 2008, 19:55
We have a DVD recorder with a personality disorder. It has both hard drive and a drive for writeable discs (DVDs!). The hard drive works perfectly. The removable disc drive doesn't. When trying to burn a recorded program from the hard drive to a blank DVD the whole thing freezes up and can only be turned off by disconnecting at the wall. This leaves a blank DVD inside it and when turning the recorder on again the whole thing just freezes up again. To get the blank DVD out I had to take the lid off the recorder then the top off the drive to extract the DVD. Turned it on again after that and everything was back to normal operation. I then put a pre-recorded DVD in the drive and it worked OK. This indicates to me that having a blank DVD in the drive is causing some sort of conflict.

1) Yes of course it is just out of it's warrantee period
2) Yes of course that shop no longer sells that brand so has no real knowledge of it.
3) Yes of course it's not a mainstream brand (Mustek)

This sound familiar to anyone?

cs363
11th September 2008, 20:00
Has it always done this? (possible dumb question, but has to be asked for reasons of clarity, lol)
Are you using the correct type of DVD? (as in DVD-R or +R etc)
Oh, and model number of the player?

KiwiRat
11th September 2008, 20:35
Take it back under the Consumer Guarantee Act. Play hardball, it shouldn't be doing that after a short period of time.

You have rights. Exercise them..................

Oakie
11th September 2008, 22:36
Cheers.
>It requires DVD+RW which is what we fed it.
>We had some problems the first time we tried it but we'd had it for two and a bit years at the time so can't really tell if that conflict has always been apparent.
>I can't actually see a model name. Just referred to as a HDD/DVD Recorder. (160gb incidentally)
>I don't think we'll get any joy out of taking it back. I've spoken to the guys there and they said that it was probably just an odd model that they got as they don't recall ever selling that brand. There doesn't even appear to be a Mustek service centre in NZ that I can find either. Tis outside the warantee period anyway.

My hope is that it's a generic problem with recorders so that perhaps an outfit like Tisco may be able to fix it, regardless of the brand.