PDA

View Full Version : Wellington: 2008 Capital 1000K Cruise

KoroJ
12th September 2008, 16:37
The Capital 1000K Cruise

Saturday 08 November
Flyer here: http://www.ulysses.org.nz/wellington/images/1000km.pdf

Departs: 0700 am, Caltex Rimutaka, Upper Hutt.
Meet before for briefing etc.

We had such a great time last year, we are doing it again so come and join us.

Route is 1,038kms via:
Rimutakas – Masterton – Mauriceville – Eketahuna – Track - Ashhurst (165K)
Pohangina Valley - Mangaweka - Taihape - Waiouru (162K)
Fields Track – Raetahi – National Pk – Tokaanu - Taumarunui (217K)
Whangamomona – Stratford (151K)
Ohangai – Patea - Waverley – Wanganui – Turakina – Marton (159K)
Halcombe - Longburn - Otaki - Paraparaumu - Paekak' - Hawards - Lower Hutt
and carry on to Petone Workingmans Club (at this stage) (184Km) to trade tales.

As an informal ride, you and your bike are your responsibility to ensure both are capable of completing the course. There is no recovery vehicle organised.
A register of riders will be kept to ensure everyone returns.
There are Spot Prizes and Certificates
It is not a race and should be easily doable at a sedate pace with stops…enjoy the ride.

The ride will go ahead rain, hail or shine….probably.

Register for the ride: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1722&day=2008-11-8

madmal64
12th September 2008, 16:50
I will be back to do this again.
Had a great ride last year. Looking forward to it John. Thanks for getting it together for yet another year.
Well done that man!

James Deuce
12th September 2008, 17:19
Err that's polling day.

You may wish to shift the date.

KoroJ
12th September 2008, 17:22
Err that's polling day.

You may wish to shift the date.

They'll have a polling booth at Tokaanu. We can stop for a vote and soak before attacking the lovely SH's 41 & 43.

James Deuce
12th September 2008, 17:34
You can't vote outside your electorate unless you arrange a special vote ahead of time.

Nasty
12th September 2008, 18:37
They'll have a polling booth at Tokaanu. We can stop for a vote and soak before attacking the lovely SH's 41 & 43.

I special voted at three elections without arranging it ahead ... so I am sure you can for this one ... might have to re-check the rules. :Oops:

Nasty
12th September 2008, 18:38
Soooo .... nasty thinks that a support vehicle may be a good idea ... since she can't ride for that long .... sooooo a trip to see mum is wangas might be a great plan!! with my wee truck and trailor!!

Pedrostt500
12th September 2008, 19:03
Im interested though will have to do some over due maintenance on the beema

chanceyy
12th September 2008, 19:19
hmm I might be tempted to try this one :) let see how much riding I can get in before hand to build that fitness .. :banana:

Ocean1
12th September 2008, 19:57
I special voted at three elections without arranging it ahead ... so I am sure you can for this one ... might have to re-check the rules. :Oops:

Takes some minor effort apparently.

http://www.elections.org.nz/voting/votingsub/unable-get-polling-place.html

Pity we couldn't have the same apply to all...

I'll be off-shore.

Enjoy yerselves.

Bastards.

Nasty
12th September 2008, 20:04
Takes some minor effort apparently.

http://www.elections.org.nz/voting/votingsub/unable-get-polling-place.html

Pity we couldn't have the same apply to all...

I'll be off-shore.

Enjoy yerselves.

Bastards.

ok ... so you made me look ... and well .. if you are in the country it is no effort ... just rock up to ANY polling station and special vote.

http://www.elections.org.nz/voting/votingsub/special-declaration-vote.html

You can also arrange to vote early ... and that is probably what you should do Ocean ...

Good research skills ... we are now well on the way!!

Number One
12th September 2008, 21:01
hmmmm 1000k - wonder if I can hack it - that's a really long way ain't it...Good roads are they?

Hitcher
12th September 2008, 22:11
Sounds like a plan. Good skills Koro.

James Deuce
12th September 2008, 22:32
There's always someone with a link who won't let a good wind up follow through to its conclusion.

I hate the Internet.

Number One
12th September 2008, 22:36
SO is this ride suitable for all or best only attempted by the hard arse well weathered bikers?

James Deuce
12th September 2008, 22:37
SO is this ride suitable for all or best only attempted by the hard arse well weathered bikers?
Ugly men only. No women allowed.

Number One
12th September 2008, 22:39
Ugly men only. No women allowed.
Ok then.......*sniff and sulk*

Hitcher
12th September 2008, 22:39
I'll leave it to you then to pass that message on to Mrs H...

Ocean1
12th September 2008, 22:44
There's always someone

By way of recompense:

You can cast your vote at your hospital, maternity home or rest home.

Hospital voting will take place in advance from Wednesday 22 October and on election day.

madmal64
12th September 2008, 22:54

A chick on an FXR150 finished last year. Thats hard arse! (cant remember her KB name)
Give it a go! Its quite do able.

chanceyy
12th September 2008, 22:56
A chick on an FXR150 finished last year. Thats hard arse! (cant remember her KB name)

it was Sweetp .. we were talking bout it last weekend :)

madmal64
12th September 2008, 23:01
Yep sweetp! thats it! Awesome effort it was too. Wasn't the last to finish either, by a long way. Some of my mates were nearly an hour later to finish after her.

flyingscotsman
13th September 2008, 07:31
Missed this last year - it's a bastard this work thing...think I need a bit more riding in before that though - tomorrow looks OK

Oh...on the polling day thing........don't vote - it only encourages them !!

Number One
13th September 2008, 08:52
aaaaaaa that would likely have been SweetP

Grub
13th September 2008, 13:29

It's actually quite a cruisey day out. Yep there's some K's but it doesn't seem to drag, we had lots of stops, natters and generally stuffing about and still finished at 10pm. We had the Ducati shred its tire right at the summit of the Napier-Taupo road and so had to piss about in Taupo for hours getting another one. Then my tire decided to go out in sympathy by showing its steel at National Park (just before the Paraparas leg). It was a very tentative ride through there to Nasty and the trailer. So with all that stuffing around it still wasn't too much ... just more of an adventure.

So polish your visor and put you and sully's names on the list ... Chanceyy, you too!

Number One
13th September 2008, 14:30
It's actually quite a cruisey day out. Yep there's some K's but it doesn't seem to drag, we had lots of stops, natters and generally stuffing about and still finished at 10pm. We had the Ducati shred its tire right at the summit of the Napier-Taupo road and so had to piss about in Taupo for hours getting another one. Then my tire decided to go out in sympathy by showing its steel at National Park (just before the Paraparas leg). It was a very tentative ride through there to Nasty and the trailer. So with all that stuffing around it still wasn't too much ... just more of an adventure.

So polish your visor and put you and sully's names on the list ... Chanceyy, you too!
Sully has advised me I should do some 300k days first.....worry a bit too about there not being a recovery vehicle oh I'm such a sook! :shutup:

Grub
13th September 2008, 15:13
Nasty's already said in post #7 that she's going to do the recovery vehicle ... so it's all on.

Sully is wise ... a couple of 300k rides are just right ... and they can be serious fun as well. Here's one of the best (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&saddr=brown+owl&daddr=Masterton+to:mauriceville+to:eketahuna+to:al fredton+to:Westmere+Rd+to:martinborough+to:E+West+ Access+Rd+to:-41.115573,175.318451+to:brown+owl&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3B%3B%3B%3BFRqqjf0dZnl6Cg%3B%3BFc6gif0 dyHZwCg%3B%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=5&mrsp=8&sz=12&via=5,7,8&sll=-41.200098,175.319824&sspn=0.190383,0.298347&ie=UTF8&ll=-40.979898,175.421448&spn=0.764091,1.19339&t=h&z=10) out-and-back 325km rides from Welly. It goes Masterton, Mauriceville, Alfredton, Masterton, back road to Martinborough and around Lake Ferry to home. You can knock 25km off it by coming home directly from Martinborough.

chanceyy
13th September 2008, 17:47

Sully has advised me I should do some 300k days first.....worry a bit too about there not being a recovery vehicle oh I'm such a sook! :shutup:

yeah I am quite keen for this .. might do the manawatu/ welly combined ride the week before ..that will be a good prelude to this one ..

go on #1 you know ya wanna ... & I dunna mind riding with ya :) (nana rider here .. most of the time :whistle: )

Nasty
13th September 2008, 18:58

Why worry about something that we have covered :) .. I will be the recovery vehicle for the day as I am unable to go the distance ... :)

Number One
13th September 2008, 20:31
Sully is wise ...

Ha! How much did he pay you to say that Grub?!

a couple of 300k rides are just right ... and they can be serious fun as well.

Here's to some good weather allowing me to try this out then! Will have to judge whether I'm up to the biggy (well my wrists and forearms anyway) from this I think. Got an awesome suggestion from Ocean1 that I think is a great idea for trial too.

go on #1 you know ya wanna ... & I dunna mind riding with ya :)

Aww thanks honey...If I make it I'll definitely look to tag along behind you :niceone:

Why worry about something that we have covered :) .. I will be the recovery vehicle for the day as I am unable to go the distance ... :)

Thanks Nasty - I'd like to plan for not needing a recovery vehicle but I'm a worry wart and a huge believer in Murphy too - what can I say?! :blank:

Hitcher
13th September 2008, 20:55
It's only 1,000km, and well capable of being completed in daylight. Don't think about the whole thing. Instead just break it down into two-hour bursts. Six of those will see it finished. Easy.

Nasty
14th September 2008, 06:25

Thanks Nasty - I'd like to plan for not needing a recovery vehicle but I'm a worry wart and a huge believer in Murphy too - what can I say?! :blank:

I go so that I won't be needed ... I will always be disappointed to come home with a bike on the back ... but am happy to just sit and chill with Mum in wangas for a day ;) ... but to head where needed when needed as needed :)

XP@
22nd September 2008, 11:52
Soooo .... nasty thinks that a support vehicle may be a good idea ... since she can't ride for that long .... sooooo a trip to see mum is wangas might be a great plan!! with my wee truck and trailor!!
I can highly recommend the trailer :-)

Am I tempted to ride the ride??

Oh yes I am :-) will have to work on earning some ride credits

KoroJ
23rd September 2008, 23:10
I can highly recommend the trailer :-)

Am I tempted to ride the ride??

Oh yes I am :-) will have to work on earning some ride credits

You got enough credits for the GC as well James??

XP@
24th September 2008, 09:41
You got enough credits for the GC as well James??

The GC will be a no way this year, maybe next. I have a few too many other commitments at the moment :( so the C1KC will be my lot ... and as of last night it is looking a tad less likely :( I may have to be at a scout camp that weekend.

86GSXR
9th October 2008, 09:07
I'm keen, that's my birthday as well. Good way to spend it :yes: Prob cruise down to the Rimutex in the morning and break off at Palmy on the way back.

Nasty
9th October 2008, 13:24
I'm keen, that's my birthday as well. Good way to spend it :yes: Prob cruise down to the Rimutex in the morning and break off at Palmy on the way back.

I definately recommend it as a birthday treat!!

banditrider
9th October 2008, 18:10

The Bluebandito & I will be doing the same. Left around 5am last year and got there in plenty of time for a coffee...

Hitcher
9th October 2008, 18:52
That may be the weekend I have to uncrate an FJR1300. I hope not.

Dan Mapp
9th October 2008, 19:44
Hi all Does anyone know of some cheap accommodation close by I hope to come down and bring a few more with me.

Nasty
9th October 2008, 19:48
Hi all Does anyone know of some cheap accommodation close by I hope to come down and bring a few more with me.

yeah how many?? (we have some room available)

Dan Mapp
9th October 2008, 20:13
Not sure at this stage Nasty but hopfully 3 or 4

Nasty
9th October 2008, 20:15
Not sure at this stage Nasty but hopfully 3 or 4

I reckon you might fit ... will pm you.

Dan Mapp
9th October 2008, 20:18
Cool thanks

rottiguy
9th October 2008, 20:26
That sounds like me to, go go bandit mobile :)

The Bluebandito & I will be doing the same. Left around 5am last year and got there in plenty of time for a coffee...

KoroJ
9th October 2008, 20:55

I think maybe someone needs to give the Blue Bandito a nudge!

86GSXR
10th October 2008, 07:29
I definately recommend it as a birthday treat!!

Can't think of as better excuse for a birthday personally :yes:

Sweet, maybe ride down together then eh? Will NEED a coffee at that time lol.

rottiguy
10th October 2008, 19:04
absolutely, coffee will be a MUST :crazy: will be good to try out the seat on the bandit to see how it goes on a longer trip

banditrider
10th October 2008, 20:36
I think maybe someone needs to give the Blue Bandito a nudge!

He should be a daddy by then - but he still seems to think that he'll be able to make it...

No worries - sort something out closer to the time eh?

chanceyy
10th October 2008, 20:42

awesome Colin .. a few bandits on this trip .. :)

Hmmm & only one coffee .. thought it would be a latte in every town on the way .. mind you dunno if anything will be open :laugh:

banditrider
10th October 2008, 20:44
No time for more than 1 coffee.

Monamie
10th October 2008, 21:15
What!!! :shit:Have to rig up an IV then:shifty:

banditrider
10th October 2008, 21:16
You're onto it!

XP@
11th October 2008, 08:20
Not that I am definatly coming or anything... but I just wanted to see what the route looks like...

Route map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Fergusson+Dr,+New+Zealand&daddr=Masterton+to:Mauriceville,+new+zealand+to:Ek etahuna+to:Ashhurst+to:Valley+Rd,+Pohangina,+New+Z ealand+to:Mangaweka+to:Waiouru+to:-39.504835,175.359993+to:Raetihi,+Manawatu-Wanganui,+New+Zealand+to:National+Park+to:Tokaanu+ to:Taumarunui+to:Whangamomona+to:Stratford+to:Ohan gai+to:Wanganui+to:Turakina+to:Marton+to:Halcombe+ to:Longburn+to:Otaki+to:Paraparaumu+to:Fergusson+D r,+New+Zealand&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=7,8&mrsp=8&sz=12&sll=-39.502716,175.385056&sspn=0.182785,0.226593&ie=UTF8&ll=-40.052848,175.341797&spn=2.901186,3.625488&z=8)

rottiguy
11th October 2008, 16:05
I am seriously thinking of packing a thermos of coffee, but we'll see :)

What!!! :shit:Have to rig up an IV then:shifty:

Hitcher
11th October 2008, 21:14
I am seriously thinking of packing a thermos of coffee, but we'll see

Most service stations sell hot and cold beverages. Save your luggage space for useful stuff, like wet weather gear and a change of gloves.

Grub
11th October 2008, 22:53
I am seriously thinking of packing a thermos of coffee, but we'll see :)

Actually, this ride isn't like the Grand Challenge. It's all very relaxed and casual. as I recall last year we all spent at least an hour and a half on the foreshore in Taupo having lunch and coffees.

It really just felt like it does when we go to Martinborough for brunch. One of the best days I've had out riding.

XP@
11th October 2008, 23:08
last year we all spent at least an hour and a half on the foreshore in Taupo having lunch and coffees.
Ah, so that is that what happened to y'all!

I sort of forgot to stop, was still an awesome ride though :-) So much fun, will find out Monday night if they really need me at the scout camp that weekend.

rottiguy
12th October 2008, 17:20
True, i will pack my overgloves and wet weather gear and see how much more room is left

Most service stations sell hot and cold beverages. Save your luggage space for useful stuff, like wet weather gear and a change of gloves.

Well that sounds more like me :) I definitely do relaxed and casual

Actually, this ride isn't like the Grand Challenge. It's all very relaxed and casual. as I recall last year we all spent at least an hour and a half on the foreshore in Taupo having lunch and coffees.

It really just felt like it does when we go to Martinborough for brunch. One of the best days I've had out riding.

Lissa
15th October 2008, 13:27
I might ride to Eke from Masterton with you guys.... :eek: Thats about has long as the Babysitter will want me away!!

awesome

Nasty
15th October 2008, 13:31
I might ride to Eke from Masterton with you guys.... :eek: Thats about has long as the Babysitter will want me away!!

awesome

LOL ... you can get a babysitter at that time of the morning ... I like miracles .. since they leave Upper Hutt at 7 am ... its around 7.45 8 from Masterton ... :shit: .. me on the other hand will go in the other direction and head to Wanganui for lunch with mum and then sit in the pub with the trailer on the car "just in case" I am needed. :jerry:

elle-f
16th October 2008, 05:02
I will make sure you are needed and make fake calls if ya want :laugh:

Dan Mapp
16th October 2008, 06:28
So are all the pionts on the map like check points or can we just keep trucking if we know where we are going?

Nasty
16th October 2008, 06:35
So are all the pionts on the map like check points or can we just keep trucking if we know where we are going?

You keep trucking on till the end - you should know where you are going well ahead of time ... or you see me outside a pub (properly in Wanganui) and stop for a quick hello!!

Lissa
16th October 2008, 09:12
LOL ... you can get a babysitter at that time of the morning ... I like miracles .. since they leave Upper Hutt at 7 am ... its around 7.45 8 from Masterton ... :shit: .. me on the other hand will go in the other direction and head to Wanganui for lunch with mum and then sit in the pub with the trailer on the car "just in case" I am needed. :jerry:

Oh crap, didnt realize it was THAT early in the morning hehehe. Have a good ride peoples!!! :lol:

sinned
16th October 2008, 16:59
This will be a test to see if I stay with the speedy or change back to something with a fairing. There is a rumour a group on Harleys are joining, so there is a challenge to see who come out best at the end of the day - cruiser or sports bike riders?

I recon if I can do 1000kms in a day and feel okay I will stay with the naked bike and feel the breeze.

Grub
16th October 2008, 19:06

We all just rode in convoy ... or at worst groups. That's what was so cool about it. It was just a (long) group ride.

When the leader got to an intersection he waited for everyone to go through and then became tail end charlie.

Grub
16th October 2008, 19:17
Oh crap, didnt realize it was THAT early in the morning hehehe. Have a good ride peoples!!! :lol:

Ummm 8am isn't THAT" early is it? We'll pick you up on the way through.

elle-f
16th October 2008, 19:29
I am reckoning I will be the slowest there so before we start - I am happy for you guys to take off in front of me. As long as I know where to stop I am happy

chanceyy
16th October 2008, 19:46
I am reckoning I will be the slowest there so before we start - I am happy for you guys to take off in front of me. As long as I know where to stop I am happy

no worries Elle .. its not a race, just a long ride .. & you can stop where ever you need to.. be plenty of us just tootling along enjoying the day :)

elle-f
16th October 2008, 20:00
Be good to catch up with you and try out my new bike on a longer ride!

chanceyy
16th October 2008, 20:03
for sure Elle :D looking forward to it :yes: :clap:

sweetp
16th October 2008, 20:26
WHOOO I am so excited that KoroJ decided to run it again this year. I am counting down the days as i had so much fun last year. The FXR has sadly been traded in (god i loved that bike) but even though i would be on my fabulous big baby (SV650) I still imagine i will be in the tourist group!

And as Grub said it is such a laid back ride, you can go at your own pace and will find a group that will do the same speed as you.

This is going to be my first big ride since my surgery and i haven't been on the bikes much but still keen to give it a go. Anyway got my favourite riding buddys and a motel room with a spa bath at the end of the day!

So again wahoo and looking forward to catching up with you all.

KoroJ
16th October 2008, 20:46

We try to break the ride down to 200Km legs to make it easy for the 'small tanks' to plan their ride.

The ST could probably do it with one stop at Taumaranui, if I took it easy, but I'll just slot into a group and cruise along stopping where the other need or want to.

GC this weekend then only three weeks to go.

Hitcher
16th October 2008, 20:46
All going well, I may have the FJR out of a crate on Saturday 1 November. Otherwise uncrating day will probably be Saturday 8 November. Fingers crossed...

banditrider
16th October 2008, 20:49
GC this weekend then only three weeks to go.

Heading up tomorrow? We're leaving Palmy about 2ish...

chanceyy
25th October 2008, 10:13
well only two weeks to go & BB is about to get new tires fitted & a few other bits done all ready for the ride :wari:

might even get a blingy few bits before then too :scratch:

ZZR1100
26th October 2008, 20:22
Hey ffirst time rider looking forward to the challenge and the numb arse any other people here ride jappers???? Or ZZR1100's

chanceyy
26th October 2008, 21:16
Hey ffirst time rider looking forward to the challenge and the numb arse any other people here ride jappers???? Or ZZR1100's

hmmmmmmmm I do believe that there another zzr1100 registered for this ride :whistle:

am picking there will be all flavours of bikes on this ride :laugh:

KoroJ
27th October 2008, 18:03

As Chanceyy said, all flavours and sizes from 250's up, with cruisers, tourers and sprotties.

As for numb arse....it's a cruisy ride with enough nice roads and opportunity for stops to alleviate this. I don't recall any complaints last year.

Hawkeye
28th October 2008, 17:36
Was hoping to be heading down to the south Island for a tiki tour but work commitments seem to have scuppered that for the moment. :thud: May just have to contemplate this one to ease the pain.:ride:

Grub
28th October 2008, 18:59
Was hoping to be heading down to the south Island for a tiki tour but work commitments seem to have scuppered that for the moment. :thud: May just have to contemplate this one to ease the pain.:ride:

You'd enjoy it Kenny, it's your kind of day out. Plenty of riding as well as plenty of time to shoot the breeze.

Hitcher
28th October 2008, 19:59
There are rumours that the FJR could be liberated this weekend. Fingers crossed!

KoroJ
28th October 2008, 20:07
For the record. So far we have:
Buell; CBR600; CB1300 (x2); Concours; Falco; FJ1200; GSF1200 (x2); GSF1250; GSX1100; GSX1200; GSXR1100; GT250; GV250; Harley (x?); R1150RT; ST1300 (x2); SV650; TL1000; Speed Triple; Sprint; TDM900; Tiger; Trophy; V-Strom (x2); Yamaha FZ1; ZZR1100 (x3)

All we need now is a nice day to enjoy the roads.

Wannabiker
29th October 2008, 02:47
We after much deliberation I have decided to do this again. ...But I will take the hyosung 250. I have a couple of spare beds here if anyone needs a place to stay near the start line and secure garage too. PM me if you want a bed for the weekend.

Monamie
29th October 2008, 13:48
well only two weeks to go & BB is about to get new tires fitted & a few other bits done all ready for the ride :wari:

might even get a blingy few bits before then too :scratch:

Whats a `blingy few bits' ?????:pinch:

KoroJ
29th October 2008, 17:30
There are rumours that the FJR could be liberated this weekend. Fingers crossed!

I've done my vote thing to get it out of the way and heard that 30/10 might be a significant day to NZ Sturgis attendees.

Here's to adding an FJR to the list! Just hope that USofA tyres (or is that tires) are built to handle Fields Track, SH41 & the Forgotten Highway.

chanceyy
29th October 2008, 18:00
Whats a `blingy few bits' ?????:pinch:

a change to one or two bits from standard :) or xtra's :clap:

Monamie
29th October 2008, 19:51
a change to one or two bits from standard :) or xtra's :clap:
You go girl!!:banana:

ZZR1100
30th October 2008, 19:24
Also have room here and a huge garage to store ya bikes and Im only 5mins ride from the meeting point This will be my first decent ride on a bigger bike as my last bike was a 1982 CX500 shadow....slow but fun to ride had custom BMW fairings on it so made it unique.

ZZR1100
30th October 2008, 19:31

Nice to now you are there looking after us

Hitcher
30th October 2008, 20:10
It's Thursday night and no word from Ken about FJR uncrating this Saturday. That probably means that I know what I'll be doing on the 8th, apart from voting. Bugger.

ZZR1100
30th October 2008, 20:30
It's Thursday night and no word from Ken about FJR uncrating this Saturday. That probably means that I know what I'll be doing on the 8th, apart from voting. Bugger.

So we wont be seeing you on the 8th????

chanceyy
30th October 2008, 21:02

hmm does that mean you will bring Mrs H's ride then :whistle: we need more bandits out there :laugh:

Hitcher
30th October 2008, 21:34
hmm does that mean you will bring Mrs H's ride then :whistle: we need more bandits out there :laugh:

If I could somehow ride a Bandit and uncrate an FJR at the same time...

chanceyy
30th October 2008, 21:36

but but but H you could uncrate the FJR on the sunday :scratch: :lol:

captain_andrey
30th October 2008, 22:14
Is there a closing date for registrations? I want to come but I will only make it if I get the new CBR past 1000km mark and get the first service out of the way before this ride.

Hawkeye
30th October 2008, 22:17
You'd enjoy it Kenny, it's your kind of day out. Plenty of riding as well as plenty of time to shoot the breeze.

Possibility of the CB coming along. And I may be also dragging along a mate with an Intruder!

sinned
31st October 2008, 11:35
Forget about the FJR - ride a bandit.

but but but H you could uncrate the FJR on the sunday :scratch: :lol: Agree

Vote this Saturday - at a library from 10.00am. Then no worries.

A new front tyre goes on the speedy tommorrow - so I will be ready to go :Punk:

Nasty
31st October 2008, 11:42
Come and visit wellington city council any day this next two weeks to vote I think its from 10-5 that gets it outta the way.

sinned
31st October 2008, 11:51
Come and visit wellington city council any day this next two weeks to vote I think its from 10-5 that gets it outta the way.

Most libraries have voting booths from 10.00am to at least Noon this Saturday. It will be raining so voting will not get in the way of a good ride.
Where to vote (http://www.elections.org.nz/voting/votingsub/how-to-advance.html)

I will vote after fitting an Avon Storm to the front

captain_andrey
31st October 2008, 13:30
I'm trying to plot the path on the map, can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Hitcher
31st October 2008, 14:26

Looks pretty close to my reckoning. Sob...

KoroJ
31st October 2008, 16:20
Is there a closing date for registrations? I want to come but I will only make it if I get the new CBR past 1000km mark and get the first service out of the way before this ride.

There isn't a cutoff and one could turn up on the day...but....we take registrations to pre-print certificates and get the contact details are in case anything happens. ie if you don't report in, we know who is missing and who to contact. We will also email out ride instructions the week before and for any other updates about the ride. There are also some spot prizes that will be pre-drawn to give out before the ride as we found last year, there's a 4+ hour delay between 1st in and last. It also saves time on the day so if you don't pre-register, you miss out on the draw and don't get the opportunity to clearly identify where you're going and plan your fuel stops.

Looks very similar to XP@'s effort earlier in the thread!

The general gist is there, but I'm afraid there's quite a few hooks and diversions missing. You might even find that's not 1000Km??

As mentioned above, the registered riders will receive ride instructions, via email, in a few days....or you can turn up next Saturday and find out what the route is then.

Hawkeye
31st October 2008, 18:09
I've just looked up the 7 day forecast and a major high is moving in.

http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=rainfcst_7daytas

Don't forget to slip, slap, slop folks...

captain_andrey
31st October 2008, 22:34
Looks very similar to XP@'s effort earlier in the thread!

The general gist is there, but I'm afraid there's quite a few hooks and diversions missing. You might even find that's not 1000Km??

As mentioned above, the registered riders will receive ride instructions, via email, in a few days....or you can turn up next Saturday and find out what the route is then.

Ah I missed that link, thanks. Yeah its quite different. I guess I better register early and cancel if I really have to.

sinned
1st November 2008, 11:35
New tyre fitted and I have voted. Now waiting for the email of the route.

That big High forecast for Saturday is just too optimistic. :niceone:

ZZR1100
2nd November 2008, 17:58

I gather its on unless its weather like we had in the capital yesterday I wouldnt even drive my car in that weather. If it is severe then will it be postponed or cancelled????

imne1
2nd November 2008, 18:50
aww crap, I have an exam that morning :-(

chanceyy
2nd November 2008, 21:01
rode part of the route for next weekend today.. if the weather is like it was today then it will be fab :D

mangell6
3rd November 2008, 08:44
Taking my card and stopping on the way at a country voting booth, walk in and vote real easy. Long range on Metvuw suggests that it could be a wet start and then fine . . . . .

Hawkeye
3rd November 2008, 11:53

Come on Dennis.... Have some faith.

wilber
3rd November 2008, 16:04
Was holding off adding name to list but dont have to work now .
Changed oil in bike and voted today now all thats left is to hope for some nice weather .

madmal64
3rd November 2008, 16:11
Well Im glad wilber gets to not work this Saturday as I will have to withdraw as I will have to work this Saturday:angry: Bloody staff that get injured and leave it to the boss to cover for them.
To say Im pissed would be an understatement.
Sorry John... next year! Have a great ride guys & gals, I will be thinking about you all while Im stuck at work.
Oh well Burt Munro Challenge will be my next decent distance ride.

Monamie
5th November 2008, 09:01
A quick look at the forecast and it looks like Saturday could be rather reasonable to us:Punk: I amy not need to buy that wet weather gear after all:done: (but I won't tempt fate and will take some ...just so it doesn't rain;) )

chanceyy
5th November 2008, 10:26
A quick look at the forecast and it looks like Saturday could be rather reasonable to us:Punk: I amy not need to buy that wet weather gear after all:done: (but I won't tempt fate and will take some ...just so it doesn't rain;) )

on ya girl :clap: .. I will also pack mine .. at least we are not out in the weather today :yes: :sweatdrop: .. sat should be the best day of the week

ZZR1100
5th November 2008, 11:13
on ya girl :clap: .. I will also pack mine .. at least we are not out in the weather today :yes: :sweatdrop: .. sat should be the best day of the week

Hey lets hope the Manawatu Gorge is open its got a major slip might have to use Saddle Road or an alternative route

DougieNZ
5th November 2008, 11:29
Ummmm if i read my directions carefully then if you go via the Manawatu gorge you are going the wrong way??

:bash: :yes: :bye:

rottiguy
5th November 2008, 13:30
Just a word of warning to the manawatu riders coming through tokomaru saturday morning, they have re-started the road works 2km north of opiki turn off on the massey/shannon road and there is now a streatch of gravel there so please be carefull in the dark.

chanceyy
5th November 2008, 14:32
Hey lets hope the Manawatu Gorge is open its got a major slip might have to use Saddle Road or an alternative route

going over the pahiatua track so Gorge is safe from us .. :clap:

banditrider
5th November 2008, 18:17
Not sure if Mark's going to make it now: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1798337#post1798337

chanceyy
5th November 2008, 21:19
Just a word of warning to the manawatu riders coming through tokomaru saturday morning, they have re-started the road works 2km north of opiki turn off on the massey/shannon road and there is now a streatch of gravel there so please be carefull in the dark.

hmm if the manawatu riders are doing the last bit first will they not be coming longburn, opiki, shannon way as per ride instructions :scratch: :shutup:

rottiguy
6th November 2008, 09:30
Indeed they will :blink: in that case tally ho, btw you might like my new bike bling it's flashtastic :blip:

hmm if the manawatu riders are doing the last bit first will they not be coming longburn, opiki, shannon way as per ride instructions :scratch: :shutup:

Monamie
6th November 2008, 09:32

Good point there my dear!!
We will be coming through Longburn way for sure. Maybe we should be meeting at the Shell on Pioneer Andrew....:shit:

chanceyy
6th November 2008, 09:34
Indeed they will :blink: in that case tally ho, btw you might like my new bike bling it's flashtastic :blip:

but but but .. you can not outdo BB in the bling stakes ... :nono: .. what did ya get :blip:

Hitcher
6th November 2008, 12:56
Guess what's praked on my car deck...

Nasty
6th November 2008, 13:01

The FJ is back .. see you saturday morning!!!

rottiguy
6th November 2008, 14:28
you'll see it soon enough :) it's even your favourite colour too :rolleyes:

but but but .. you can not outdo BB in the bling stakes ... :nono: .. what did ya get :blip:

chanceyy
6th November 2008, 14:31

:niceone: :clap: so no riding the bandit then :laugh:

you'll see it soon enough :) it's even your favourite colour too :rolleyes:

which favourite colour .. I have a few :scratch: (can not quite see you in pink or purple)

rottiguy
6th November 2008, 14:32
Blue :) ..........

which favourite colour .. I have a few :scratch: (can not quite see you in pink or purple)

chanceyy
6th November 2008, 18:24
Blue :) ..........

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I know what you have got .. funny I was just talking bout that the other day .. keen to see how it looks :clap:

elle-f
6th November 2008, 18:51
I have no bling on my bike *teary*...obviously I have to get cooler dammit!

banditrider
6th November 2008, 18:55
Good point there my dear!!
We will be coming through Longburn way for sure. Maybe we should be meeting at the Shell on Pioneer Andrew....:shit:

Yep, doesn't worry me. Best stick to the route or John may not give us our badges...

sinned
6th November 2008, 19:08
Is the route issued or is the comment just on the details in the first post?

Nasty
6th November 2008, 19:10

The route has been issued by KoroJ .. if you are coming contact him for the route and details.

banditrider
6th November 2008, 19:13

Route here: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfrbcnqz_39fzphnvc4 (http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfrbcnqz_39fzphnvc4)

Nearly complete map (ran out of way points) here: http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&saddr=Upper+Hutt,+Wellington&daddr=Paierau+Rd+to:Loop+Line+to:Opaki+Kaiparoro+R d+to:Tutaekara+Rd+to:Makomako+Rd+to:Cambridge+Ave+ to:Cambridge+Ave+to:Pohangina+Valley+East+Rd+to:Ap iti,+Manawatu-Wanganui,+New+Zealand+to:Rangiwahia+Rd+to:Waiouru, +Manawatu-Wanganui,+New+Zealand+to:Oruakukuru+Rd+to:Whangaeh u+Valley+Rd+to:Kakatahi+to:River+Rd+to:Stratford,+ Taranaki,+New+Zealand+to:Fraser+Rd+to:Ohangai+Rd+t o:Meremere+Rd+to:Wanganui,+Manawatu-Wanganui,+New+Zealand+to:Marton,+Manawatu-Wanganui,+New+Zealand+to:Kakariki+Rd+to:Mount+Bigg s+Rd+to:-40.305974,175.489769&hl=en&geocode=FRx9jP0daFdvCg%3BFQS3j_0dPxN4Cg%3BFXP5j_0d vzx4Cg%3BFdWukf0dEfB4Cg%3BFerNlf0dhHB5Cg%3BFZjdlv0 djn55Cg%3BFexKmf0dXtJ5Cg%3BFYpdmf0dLtV5Cg%3BFUrJmv 0dspR6Cg%3B%3BFdIXn_0dSbt7Cg%3B%3BFehipf0dPId1Cg%3 BFe-Ro_0dCvR0Cg%3B%3BFaj3rf0dDq1xCg%3B%3BFQ1Ypf0dTMVjC g%3BFZBKpP0dj7NjCg%3BFcy6o_0dtPVkCg%3B%3B%3BFQqym_ 0dQi11Cg%3BFX0dm_0dz291Cg%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=7&mrsp=24&sz=12&via=1,2,4,5,6,7,8,10,12,13,15,17,18,19,22,23&sll=-40.340787,175.569077&sspn=0.154655,0.263672&ie=UTF8&z=12

sinned
6th November 2008, 19:36
The route has been issued by KoroJ .. if you are coming contact him for the route and details.
Thanks I just sent him a PM. I registered as attending in the calendar page - should I have done something else?

Nasty
6th November 2008, 19:38
Thanks I just sent him a PM. I registered as attending in the calendar page - should I have done something else?

if anyone hasn't received the details they should PM KoroJ to get them and ensure that they are all registered up and he has the details he needs. This also means you will get all the other stuff you need like my number in case of trouble!

Hitcher
6th November 2008, 20:52
Big Yam and I went to Featherston and back tonight. Tyre pressures refined, chicken strips removed, rear preload and front rebound adjusted. Oil and filter change tomorrow, and we'll be ready to rock and roll. Nice.

KoroJ
6th November 2008, 21:43
I have no bling on my bike *teary*...obviously I have to get cooler dammit!

You could always wear that pretty little pink number!

Route here: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfrbcnqz_39fzphnvc4 (http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfrbcnqz_39fzphnvc4)

Read the instructions again! You missed the end of the Gentle Annie and if you leave 47 & 41 out, you'll be well short. You must be stressed at not having the Blue Bsndito to guide you!

Big Yam and I went to Featherston and back tonight. Tyre pressures refined, chicken strips removed, rear preload and front rebound adjusted. Oil and filter change tomorrow, and we'll be ready to rock and roll. Nice.

That's two FJR's now....and when is Mrs H registering???

Hitcher
6th November 2008, 21:45
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&amp;saddr=caltex+rimutaka+upper+hutt&amp;daddr=Ng aumutawa+Rd+to:Loop+Line+to:Opaki+Kaiparoro+Rd+to: Nikau+Rd+to:Aokautere,+Manawatu-Wanganui+to:Pohangina+Valley+East+Rd+to:Pohangina+ Rd+to:Rangiwahia+Rd+to:Spooners+Hill+Rd+to:waiouru +to:Fields+Trk+to:SH+41+to:taumarunui+to:stratford +to:Fraser+Rd+to:Ohangai+Rd+to:Stewart+St+to:James +Rd+to:Green+Rd+to:-40.377936,175.523415+to:Udy+St,+Petone,+5012&amp;hl=en &amp;geocode=FY26jP0diMdvCiGERoID9Oux5A%3BFTVUj_0dnTJ4 Cg%3BFRX4j_0dkzR4Cg%3BFaz4kf0dXjJ5Cg%3BFeYvlv0dZFV 5Cg%3B%3BFeBGm_0dGBd7Cg%3BFfxenf0d_ph8Cg%3BFUsLn_0 deX17Cg%3BFRQ3o_0dhp96Cg%3B%3BFbpeo_0dspx0Cg%3BFcZ hrf0dpAR6Cg%3B%3B%3BFZWFpf0dUuRjCg%3BFTb7o_0dUPVkC g%3BFeaTnP0d8Al0Cg%3BFc06m_0d3Jx1Cg%3BFcAOmf0dkMp1 Cg%3B%3B&amp;mra=dpe&amp;mrcr=4&amp;mrsp=20&amp;sz=12&amp;via=1,2,3,4, 6,7,8,9,11,12,15,16,17,18,19,20&amp;sll=-40.403824,175.45784&amp;sspn=0.181177,0.306244&amp;ie=UTF8 &amp;ll=-40.403824,175.45784&amp;spn=0.181177,0.306244&amp;output=e mbed&amp;s=AARTsJrNqti2dN-WpSqQgypX6zsf18KM_Q"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&amp;saddr=caltex+rimutaka+upper+hutt&amp;daddr=Ng aumutawa+Rd+to:Loop+Line+to:Opaki+Kaiparoro+Rd+to: Nikau+Rd+to:Aokautere,+Manawatu-Wanganui+to:Pohangina+Valley+East+Rd+to:Pohangina+ Rd+to:Rangiwahia+Rd+to:Spooners+Hill+Rd+to:waiouru +to:Fields+Trk+to:SH+41+to:taumarunui+to:stratford +to:Fraser+Rd+to:Ohangai+Rd+to:Stewart+St+to:James +Rd+to:Green+Rd+to:-40.377936,175.523415+to:Udy+St,+Petone,+5012&amp;hl=en &amp;geocode=FY26jP0diMdvCiGERoID9Oux5A%3BFTVUj_0dnTJ4 Cg%3BFRX4j_0dkzR4Cg%3BFaz4kf0dXjJ5Cg%3BFeYvlv0dZFV 5Cg%3B%3BFeBGm_0dGBd7Cg%3BFfxenf0d_ph8Cg%3BFUsLn_0 deX17Cg%3BFRQ3o_0dhp96Cg%3B%3BFbpeo_0dspx0Cg%3BFcZ hrf0dpAR6Cg%3B%3B%3BFZWFpf0dUuRjCg%3BFTb7o_0dUPVkC g%3BFeaTnP0d8Al0Cg%3BFc06m_0d3Jx1Cg%3BFcAOmf0dkMp1 Cg%3B%3B&amp;mra=dpe&amp;mrcr=4&amp;mrsp=20&amp;sz=12&amp;via=1,2,3,4, 6,7,8,9,11,12,15,16,17,18,19,20&amp;sll=-40.403824,175.45784&amp;sspn=0.181177,0.306244&amp;ie=UTF8 &amp;ll=-40.403824,175.45784&amp;spn=0.181177,0.306244&amp;source=e mbed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Grub
7th November 2008, 14:31
Well the hailstorms have hit Wellington, Hutt Valley and Porirua areas with accompanying lightnig and thunder ... BUT ... look at what happens in the morning!

Wairarapa: Mainly fine, with frosts in sheltered places at first, but areas of morning cloud about the east coast. Southerlies dying out early morning.
Manawatu: Fine, with frosts in sheltered places at first. Fresh southeasterlies, gradually easing.
Taihape: Fine, with frosts at first. Southeast breezes.
Taumauranui: Fine, with frosts at first. Southeast breezes.
Taranaki: Fine, with frosts in sheltered places at first. Fresh southeasterlies gradually easing.
Wanganui: Fine, with frosts in sheltered places at first. Southeasterlies gradually dying away.
Kapiti- Horowhenua: Fine, with frosts possible in sheltered places at first. Light winds.

How about that, well planned John! It is a bit sobering to think about how careful we're going to have to be on the shady country roads because of the frosts. If its cold enough, they could last until 11am if the conditions are right.

Hitcher
7th November 2008, 15:57
Woo hoo! A lovely day for a bit of a romp in the hinterland. Bring it on!

madmal64
7th November 2008, 16:13
Have a great ride you lucky people. Really wish I was there again.
That weather report is perfect for a days tootling.

sinned
7th November 2008, 19:37
50 / 50 chance of me being on the ride - got a bad head cold with all those symptoms that don't go well inside a helmet.

chanceyy
7th November 2008, 19:42
bit of a brisk ride down to welly tonite .. missed all the hail (only just though) & be damn thankful was not heading outta welly .. cops doing a search for the escaped prisioner at Paekakareki so traffic was either at a standstill or crawling all the way back to the lights at grays road just had the sweet run down on the other side of the road :)

KoroJ
7th November 2008, 19:50
50 / 50 chance of me being on the ride - got a bad head cold with all those symptoms that don't go well inside a helmet.

Dose up!!!

There's a certificate already printed........for completion! ....and you need to participate to get a badge and bar! .............and there's too many nice roads to miss out on! ....and that means there will only be 47!

We would have cracked 50 if Blue Bandito had got his timing right, MadMal had got his staff under control, and you took your garlic and multivitamins.

Dose up!!!

Nasty
7th November 2008, 19:56
Dose up!!!

There's a certificate already printed........for completion! ....and you need to participate to get a badge and bar! .............and there's too many nice roads to miss out on! ....and that means there will only be 47!

We would have cracked 50 if Blue Bandito had got his timing right, MadMal had got his staff under control, and you took your garlic and multivitamins.

Dose up!!!

Do I get a badge and bar for being the pick up chick?? huh huh huh!!

sinned
7th November 2008, 19:58
Dose up!!!

Dose up!!!

Alarm set for 5.00am and drugs taken.

kiwisfly
7th November 2008, 20:16
Alarm set for 5.00am and drugs taken.

Hey dennisr & anyone else in the Johnsonville type area. I'm leaving J'ville 6:05am - 6:10am at the latest if you wanna have a pre meet an ride to Rimmers to get there early for a tank up, pie an a good seat! Will park and wait on the bus stop across the road from the Lotto shop.
Cheers
Mark

Nasty
7th November 2008, 20:32
Alarm is about to be set .. riders all arrived - SweetP, Paul and Dan Mapp ... Grub and I have emptied the bed to go to Wanganui (might as well actually use the tralier) ... and breakfast all ready to be cooked!! ...

you might say things are all go!

chanceyy
7th November 2008, 20:41
just about all set here .. have not told the partner in crime what time the alarm is set for yet :shutup: :whistle:

ynot slow
7th November 2008, 20:46
Enjoy the ride guys/gals and god speed.Watch the roadworks on the bridge out of Hawera,down to one lane.

Hitcher
7th November 2008, 20:50
We're not going through Hawera. But thanks for the good wishes!

Nasty
8th November 2008, 04:31
This house is up, showered and dressed . .about to have breakfast and be on our way ... see you guys at Rimutex!

chanceyy
8th November 2008, 04:44
Same here Kari .. although we did wake up to a brief shower of rain :eek:

just had breaky & about ready to roll :clap:

Owl
8th November 2008, 05:01
Have a goody people! Ride safe!:2thumbsup

madmal64
8th November 2008, 11:35
You lucky lot have been going for 5 1/2 hours now while Ive been stuck at work.
Im not happy! Hope you are all safe and keeping it shiny side up. Look forward to the after ride posts & pics

Monamie
9th November 2008, 08:52
Left Longburn at 5am and got back at 8.40pm.

1000km observations:

1000km is a really really really long way :crazy:
Rottiguy nearly got a Turkey for Christmas!! :gob:
HEATED HANDGRIPS :love::love:
Chanceyy tamed the gravel-yeah baby you rock girl!
Paekak Hill sucks in the drizzle with the black squigglies on it :Oops:
Paekak Hill tried to tame 86......but alas it failed.
Whangamomoa has a really cool pub.
Fields Track has been renamed `The Goat Track'.
Leathers maybe safer but they are not warmer :cold:
The way the Buell shakes at low rev's ...I think it shook an inch off my behind!! Go Buell!!
There is a town in NZ called Douglas....
The Forgotten Highway is way cool...even with all the gravel.
Right hand corners really aren't all that bad now.
You meet the most awesome people when you go riding.
A guy on an SV turned up in many towns...but he wasn't doing the ride...he even bought his buddy on a patched up yellow bike too...how nice ;)

To the daughter who ran the Spa bath and put in bubbles for her mum who had trouble moving when she got in the door.......Mother Christmas took note... :love:

Oh...and my Buell the Lemon...I will have it with a lick of salt and Tequilla any day :2thumbsup

A big thanks to the organisers and my thoughts are with those who could not complete it for whatever reason...it is a great personal milestone.

RIP Grub...Kari our thoughts are with you and your families.....speechless....

rottiguy
9th November 2008, 09:51
Next ride I'm wrapping my arse in bubble wrap, and as for turkeys on the road if i didn't already have one in the freezer I might have swerved left instead of right and it would have been gobble gobble.

Thanks to the organizers and yay for the sun to dry us out.

Best wishes Nasty

chanceyy
9th November 2008, 10:55
Well written there girl .. awesome to be riding with you, but next yr lets get out & do a few ks to harden the arse before hand :msn-wink:

found out about Grub when we got to the working mans club & still can not believe it. :no: RIP Grub

Was going to do a ride report but still feeling quite shattered ... & I think Mo pretty well covered it all below

(dunno that I have "tamed" the gravel :eek:... but fark me I was not gonna bite the dust again .. BB & I need to have words about her preference to misbehave in gravel methinks :nono: )

so we left 7.15am & arrived in welly 10.15pm & yeah heated handgrips do keep the cold at bay :yes:

Left Longburn at 5am and got back at 8.40pm.

1000km observations:

1000km is a really really really long way
Rottiguy nearly got a Turkey for Christmas!! :gob:
HEATED HANDGRIPS :love:
Chanceyy tamed the gravel-yeah baby you rock girl!
Paekak Hill sucks in the drizzle with the black squigglies on it
Paekak Hill tried to tame 86......but alas it failed.
Whangamomoa has a really cool pub.
Fields Track has been renamed `The Goat Track'.
Leathers maybe safer but they are not warmer :cold:
The way the Buell shakes at low rev's ...I think it shook an inch off my behind!! Go Buell!!
There is a town in NZ called Douglas....
The Forgotten Highway is way cool...even with all the gravel.
Right hand corners really aren't all that bad now.
You meet the most awesome people when you go riding.
A guy on an SV turned up in many towns...but he wasn't doing the ride...he even bought his buddy on a patched up yellow bike too...how nice

To the daughter who ran the Spa bath and put in bubbles for her mum who had trouble moving when she got in the door.......Mother Christmas took note... :love:

Oh...and my Buell the Lemon...I will have it with a lick of salt and Tequilla any day :2thumbsup

A big thanks to the organisers and my thoughts are with those who could not complete it for whatever reason...it is a great personal milestone.

RIP Grub...Kari our thoughts are with you and your families.....speechless....

Pedrostt500
9th November 2008, 12:40
Well written there girl .. awesome to be riding with you, but next yr lets get out & do a few ks to harden the arse before hand :msn-wink:

found out about Grub when we got to the working mans club & still can not believe it. :no: RIP Grub

Was going to do a ride report but still feeling quite shattered ... & I think Mo pretty well covered it all below

(dunno that I have "tamed" the gravel :eek:... but fark me I was not gonna bite the dust again .. BB & I need to have words about her preference to misbehave in gravel methinks :nono: )

so we left 7.15am & arrived in welly 10.15pm & yeah heated handgrips do keep the cold at bay :yes:

And you told me you didn't do gravel, go Gurl.

chanceyy
9th November 2008, 14:27
And you told me you didn't do gravel, go Gurl.

Unfortunately could not avoid it .. if it was all hard packed stuff would have not been an issue .. but alas they just graded it ... must have known we were coming

Hitcher
9th November 2008, 15:48
I too didn't learn about Grub until I checked in at the Workingmen's Club.

Despite the day's tragedy, the organisers should get some praise for all of their efforts -- and for the ambiguous instructions in the Pohangina Valley...

I had a ball. The weather, apart from a patch of shattered scours between Featherston and Masterton, was just perfect for this sort of event.

I rode a couple of new roads for me -- Most of the Ashhurst to Mangaweka route was new. Normally when we come down through Peep-o-day, we've turned off at Ohingaiti and continue down through Kimbolton.

The other absolute peach of a road is the Halcombe to Mt Stewart road. I was just ahead of what looked like being bad sunstrike in about 15 minutes time.

Fields Track is a considerably easier ride when it's dry and one doesn't have to brake for goats...

And the Taranaki boy in me enjoyed the Fraser Road/Ohangai stretch. It's nice at times to find some fast stretches that Mr Plod will never enforce.

I could have stayed much longer at the Whanga pub. The locals are always very genial and happy to chat with passing bikers. They do, however, tend to chuck a bit of abuse at bikers who stop and take a photo of the Republic's Pride and Joy without even dismounting or turning their engine off.

Hands up everybody who remembered to do Highways 41 and 47...

chanceyy
9th November 2008, 16:04
I too didn't learn about Grub until I checked in at the Workingmen's Club.

Despite the day's tragedy, the organisers should get some praise for all of their efforts -- and for the ambiguous instructions in the Pohangina Valley...

I had a ball. The weather, apart from a patch of shattered scours between Featherston and Masterton, was just perfect for this sort of event.

I rode a couple of new roads for me -- Most of the Ashhurst to Mangaweka route was new. Normally when we come down through Peep-o-day, we've turned off at Ohingaiti and continue down through Kimbolton.

The other absolute peach of a road is the Halcombe to Mt Stewart road. I was just ahead of what looked like being bad sunstrike in about 15 minutes time.

Fields Track is a considerably easier ride when it's dry and one doesn't have to brake for goats...

And the Taranaki boy in me enjoyed the Fraser Road/Ohangai stretch. It's nice at times to find some fast stretches that Mr Plod will never enforce.

I could have stayed much longer at the Whanga pub. The locals are always very genial and happy to chat with passing bikers. They do, however, tend to chuck a bit of abuse at bikers who stop and take a photo of the Republic's Pride and Joy without even dismounting or turning their engine off.

Hands up everybody who remembered to do Highways 41 and 47...

well I guess i am one who can not put their hand up :whistle: ... however I did complete over 1000 ks yesterday even missing out that bit ... catching up with John today apparently we did the correct loop around apiti .. local knowledge is a good thing there

thanks Koroj .. at least I know what to expect next yr :yes:

GrayWolf
9th November 2008, 16:20
Firstly a big thanks to the Organisers of the event. The morning and afternoon ride routes were just outstanding!! The group I was in (self named the Nana group for riding 80-100kmh) Had several members tempted to stop and 'out' camera's. The day was just right, sunny but not too warm so no huge dehydration from sweat issuue's to cope with.
We had a mixed bag of bikes from occasionaly a Hyo' Aquilla 250 to the man I think has to be awarded the 'Hard Arse' award if there was one. 1000k on a TL1000s. Hawkeye's 500 honda did very well too. A special thank you is extended to the Sterling job of main 'pace setter' to a certain Bee eM rider! Well done Mate! We all had pretty good 'touring bikes' overall but after 8 hours in the saddle even the FJ and Bee eM owners were seen to be shifting hip angles (in the interest of handling of course).
Sadly, we passed the incident on the Lost World road. There isnt much you can do when it's already been done, and to stop is just increasing unwanted numbers.
On a personal note and I think some also expressed it, the scenic routes from then on were maybe a little too much. Next year just main highway routes for the home stretch?
Overall I'd do it again next week! Again thanks to the Organisers and a big thanks to the group I rode with, it was fun, good riding protocol's observed, and made the whole ride a great event.

Slides
9th November 2008, 16:46
Just wanted to add my thanks to the organisers of such a great ride! Also to all the riders who made it such a cruisey & friendly event!
Unfortunately I couldn't finish this year as I was with Jane (the GP who stopped for Grub), but I'm still keen to have another go next year.
Thanks again!

ynot slow
9th November 2008, 17:20

Damn that is a good stretch,same with the Tirimoana Rd area.Along with Ngawhini Rd gorge area to Ararata.

DingoZ
9th November 2008, 17:37
I was going to be on the ride. Was going to be completing the ride as Grub's riding buddy. Unfortunetly I was coming off night shift Saturday morning, and it would have not been a wise idea to have ridden after being awake already for 14 hours.

Next Year. Will be completed come rain hail, tornadoes, and other assorted acts of the powers on high. Will be ridden and completed in Memory of Grub..

kiwisfly
9th November 2008, 20:12
Theres a book called "Zen and the art of motorcycling", never read it but had a sense of it on Saturday. Got to the Caltex all bright eyed an bushy tailed buzzing after having a taster ride out on the Hutt Road with Hitcher an then scoping all the various array of bikes thinking "today is going to be a good day".
Got a badge, missed out on a prize, heard the instructions for the ride and tally ho we were off. Hooked into a group that I felt comfortable with across the hill & the first forays into the Waiarapa...pity the same comfortableness wasn't sitting with my bladder!
In the last 18 months I've lost 50kgs after having weight loss surgery (saved my life) so despite layers of clothing the cold was causing a painful need to urinate & that was despite not drinking any liquids during the morning (or should I say middle of the night such was the earliness of it all!!!).
So into the public toilet in Carterton I rode then to search at great length for the urinating device the good Lord has equipped us with to find it had been replaced with a growth lesser than pimples I've had in adolescence. So I get back on the bike ready to put the hammer down to catch up and by Masterton the same dreaded need...wees! Rode on trying to will it away and at the same time fighting a dark cloud feeling over the whole event. 40k's out of Masterton I threw in the towel, spun it round & headed back for a slash at Masterton & 2 at the wild Oats café in Carterton although admittedly one wizz was the flat white I'd just put in.
Rode over the hill feeling better & wondering if I'd done the right thing only to be riding past the turn-off to the kart track at Kaitoke to glance in the mirrors an see smoke billowing behind. A quick glance down the right side to find oil everywhere followed by a quick killing of the motor just as the red light comes on has minimized any damage (one hopes). No chronic clunking noises or internal engine pieces poking out.
Can't see anything obvious so hoping it's a busted oil line?
Trailered the oily beast home...day done.
So weird that once I got out on the road things weren't coming together, there was definitely no "zen" feelings and I guess thankful I did turn around as I figured things might have been quite a pain in the arse had it have happened further on up the road.
Next year I'm gonna get me an Arctic suit with 20,000 wired up hot water bottles...that'll do the trick!
To John & co thanks for the opportunity.
Happy to collect a certificate but scratch out one of the zero's!!!

Hawkeye
9th November 2008, 20:52
Firstly a big thanks to the Organisers of the event. The morning and afternoon ride routes were just outstanding!! The group I was in (self named the Nana group for riding 80-100kmh) Had several members tempted to stop and 'out' camera's. The day was just right, sunny but not too warm so no huge dehydration from sweat issuue's to cope with.
We had a mixed bag of bikes from occasionaly a Hyo' Aquilla 250 to the man I think has to be awarded the 'Hard Arse' award if there was one. 1000k on a TL1000s. Hawkeye's 500 honda did very well too. A special thank you is extended to the Sterling job of main 'pace setter' to a certain Bee eM rider! Well done Mate! We all had pretty good 'touring bikes' overall but after 8 hours in the saddle even the FJ and Bee eM owners were seen to be shifting hip angles (in the interest of handling of course).
Sadly, we passed the incident on the Lost World road. There isnt much you can do when it's already been done, and to stop is just increasing unwanted numbers.
On a personal note and I think some also expressed it, the scenic routes from then on were maybe a little too much. Next year just main highway routes for the home stretch?
Overall I'd do it again next week! Again thanks to the Organisers and a big thanks to the group I rode with, it was fun, good riding protocol's observed, and made the whole ride a great event.

It was a pleasure to ride with you GrayWolf. I must admit, when I got home this morning (would have prefered it to say last night but we did ride quite a bit of 'unplanned' country yesterday :confused:) I thought the bike would be the last thing I would want to look at today. But Today was a day to support friends in their saddest hour. So the Honda was dragged kicking and screaming out of the garage and off we went to see Kari.
I have to say, I am not as sore as expected today. A big :2thumbsup to the organisers and wasn't it a brilliant day to be riding those roads.

Charlie41
9th November 2008, 22:33
It was an awesome ride. Thank you to everybody involved. Got lost and ended up on a few gravel roads.... I made it back in one piece and the bike survived the gravel (I spent a lot of time cleaning it this morning :rolleyes:)
I met a few KBers and I'm looking forward to the next ride.
RIP Grub

DougieNZ
10th November 2008, 06:54
Yes, it WAS a great ride. About 40-50km of gravel through to Apiti (that wasn't part of the PLAN was it Koro?). So I don't think I followed the entire route correctly (but I wasn't alone in that area!).

But I DID do 47/41 AND the Paekak Hill Rd....

A lot of the road I had never been on. Particularly enjoyed the Fields Track / Parapara's Section and of course the Forgotton World Highway.

I thought hat the use of a lot of back roads made it an interesting challenge. Hardly unexpected given that the organisers are becoming Grand Challenge veterens...

Thanks to John, Steve and your band of helpers that made this a special day.

I was sorry to hear about the loss of Grub.

The only comment I would make to that is as follows.

If one had to chose a day to pass to the next world - to go on a beautiful day made for motorcyclists travelling on a special road for motorcylists with magnificent scenery and great company. If i HAD to go...That would be near the top of my list...

RIP Grub - Stay Strong Nasty

ZZR1100
10th November 2008, 12:56
Hi that was my first attempt at the 1000k ride but unfortunately on Fields Track (by that bridge with the rutts either side) my front wheel grabbed gravel and I downed my bike in a sloping bank (only going about 15kmph) but there was enough damage for me to return to welly with ego more damaged than bike. Thanks to those riders who stopped to help me get started again only to find another rider worse off than I around two more bends. Gee does anyone know how to get fairing parts or a good repairer?? Ahh well will have to sell kidney I guess to get it fixed and back on the road

RIP Brett...didnt know you but we are all from the same breed.

chanceyy
10th November 2008, 14:23
Hi that was my first attempt at the 1000k ride but unfortunately on Fields Track (by that bridge with the rutts either side) my front wheel grabbed gravel and I downed my bike in a sloping bank (only going about 15kmph) but there was enough damage for me to return to welly with ego more damaged than bike. Thanks to those riders who stopped to help me get started again only to find another rider worse off than I around two more bends. Gee does anyone know how to get fairing parts or a good repairer?? Ahh well will have to sell kidney I guess to get it fixed and back on the road

RIP Brett...didnt know you but we are all from the same breed.

I wondered where you disappeared too, glad to hear your ok .. crazefox would be the person to talk too down your way ;) he has quite a few endorsements from other local kb ppl who need his talents :)

captain_andrey
10th November 2008, 15:02
Great ride, thanks everyone. I also got lost around Apiti and rode past Ashhurst twice (don't ask). The best feeling was once I got used to the gravel and started gaining some speed, got up to 100 on gravel :headbang: the rear was all over the place.
It was great fun riding with Charlie41, the two CBRs were eating up the miles and never skipped a beat.
Passing the accident site was a very sinking feeling, RIP Grub.
Cant wait to do another long ride, maybe slightly less technical then this one.

Mrs Busa Pete
10th November 2008, 16:01
In case anyone is interested Brett / Grub's Auckland Funeral details.

www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=85913

ZZR1100
10th November 2008, 17:50
I wondered where you disappeared too, glad to hear your ok .. crazefox would be the person to talk too down your way ;) he has quite a few endorsements from other local kb ppl who need his talents :)

Thanks for that yeah shit happens just a lapse in concentration is all it took. Found out its $1000 just for one side and $1300 for the front cowling (phew). But looking at 2nd hand parts or a kit......will be back nxt year wiser. Thanks also for the chat and smiles.

The Baron
17th November 2008, 05:35
Hi. Has anyone got photos of the c1k. It would be nice to see some. Thanks

Nasty
17th November 2008, 05:42

KoroJ has pics.

The Baron
17th November 2008, 14:05
Thanks.. I thought someone must have some.

KoroJ
17th November 2008, 20:52

Some pix here; http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=85966
and a link to Banditriders pix as well.