PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock replacement and fiddlings

lostinflyz
14th September 2008, 17:45
Dunno if this has ever been covered (couldn't see anything) but anyways

Ive got an vfr400 race bike sitting round. Its pretty much all ready to go and i kinda wanna get rid of it but i wanna make sure who ever buys it can go racing straight off. and unfortunatly the rear shock has had it and is to short all making for alot of the pegs being missing and kissing track surface.

So i was wondering what the go is with replacing the shock with something off another bike. Obviously you need to check lengths and springs and the like and what not. whats the go with the shock ends and the like as im assuming they arent all similar. anyone had experience with replacing shocks from other bikes onto something new. anyone know what might fit a vfr400 roughly. Machining up new fittings isn't an issue.

Before people get ruffled up about not getting full on race kit or new shocks im pretty much doing this outta my own pocket for someone elses good and my pockets are kinda empty.

Either way some advice on toying with rear shocks would be nice for reference. cheers

malcy25
15th September 2008, 12:21
For what its worth, it could well be just as easy to see if the existing one can be rebuilt with new seals, oil and gas?

MSTRS
15th September 2008, 12:28
Sell it 'as-is'. Tell people that the rear shock needs to be replaced and they can get what they want. After all, every one is different weights and has different wants out of their shocks/spring rates etc.

slimjim
15th September 2008, 12:31
robert taylor would be able to give a good price to rebuild shock..otherwise you'll loose money on sale if selling as is condition.. as the next buyer will knock you down .. by shit load..

MSTRS
15th September 2008, 12:47
robert taylor would be able to give a good price to rebuild shock..otherwise you'll loose money on sale if selling as is condition.. as the next buyer will knock you down .. by shit load..

Rubbish - it's a race bike. Someone else is only going to set it up differently anyway. Why spend money on replacing a shock that is likely to be changed by the next owner.

lostinflyz
15th September 2008, 14:17
yea have thought about selling but id rather it be sold in a resonable nick. Ive noticed often these type of bikes sold on as projects never get done and end up sitting about doing fuck all, which would be a shame on this one as a lot of time and effort has been spent sorting it out.

Old shock is the biggest pile of shit in the world. Its not even useful as a paperweight. I can pick up a modern 600/750 shock cheap as chips and fit it up which would make the difference in this bike.

Alternative i guess could be to fit the TZR rear shock outta my good race bike and replace with something flash. but im not that rich yet

slimjim
15th September 2008, 14:34
Rubbish - it's a race bike. Someone else is only going to set it up differently anyway. Why spend money on replacing a shock that is likely to be changed by the next owner.

why cause its rubbish if its left as is.....and a race bike.:crybaby:..and a buyer is going too spend extra on tires and yes a little on suspenion til they decide what weights or damping is needed ..but selling without a good ass end travel... yea right.

nope throw a better working shoch in and then sell it..:yes:

malcy25
15th September 2008, 16:02
yea have thought about selling but id rather it be sold in a resonable nick. Ive noticed often these type of bikes sold on as projects never get done and end up sitting about doing fuck all, which would be a shame on this one as a lot of time and effort has been spent sorting it out.

Old shock is the biggest pile of shit in the world. Its not even useful as a paperweight. I can pick up a modern 600/750 shock cheap as chips and fit it up which would make the difference in this bike.

Alternative i guess could be to fit the TZR rear shock outta my good race bike and replace with something flash. but im not that rich yet

You might be able to get a 600/750 shock cheap, but will it work any better than the one it it, given the likely differences in Linkages, weights, HP, damping requirements, then making it fit, etc. If you make a call to a suspension expert they'd be able to give you a guide on rebuild cost then you have something to compare the "cheap as chips" + associated hassle, unknown outcome solution.

Id make a ph call then work from there.

lostinflyz
15th September 2008, 16:28
You might be able to get a 600/750 shock cheap, but will it work any better than the one it it, given the likely differences in Linkages, weights, HP, damping requirements, then making it fit, etc. If you make a call to a suspension expert they'd be able to give you a guide on rebuild cost then you have something to compare the "cheap as chips" + associated hassle, unknown outcome solution.

Id make a ph call then work from there.

the current shock is horrific. The bike as standard is too low and the old shock looks as if it has never seen a loving hand. add to that the spring is very tired and the shock is completly unadjustable, what would the worth be in having it rebuilt.

Just about anything would be better. my logic is the current setup needs replacing and is a hassle and massive put off to anyone. A cheap shock replacement will at least make the bike useable, to the point where someone may fall in love with it and eventually spend the money on really setting it up or passing it on. Obviously if it was horrific (a new setup) they will still have the old shock for them to attempt to rebuild. but i cant even begin to explain how shitty a piece of work it is. esp when you consider the price (what some 300 bucks for a rebuild (at least roughly) plus a new spring.

while the new results may be debtable to some of its merits, mountains of race bikes here and abroad switch out shocks for later model replacements with different linkage, damping and spring rates. While some care must be taken (i.e. not choosing polar opposite spring or damping configs) most people who have changed the rear end do not seem to complain that it is worse.

Robert Taylor
16th September 2008, 11:52
Well there is some good advice and some VERY VERY BAD advice. Just about anything will be better? Well a TZR one for example will most definitely NOT be as the spring and damping rates would be woefully weak. Advice on forums is so often very shonky, and I make no apology in stating that fact

lostinflyz
16th September 2008, 21:05
Well there is some good advice and some VERY VERY BAD advice. Just about anything will be better? Well a TZR one for example will most definitely NOT be as the spring and damping rates would be woefully weak. Advice on forums is so often very shonky, and I make no apology in stating that fact

i agree to some extent. forum advice is advice from someone you dont pay and as such it is worth that much often.

I have a TZR in my actual race bike and it is not too bad. It has a different spring and but damping wise i dont know whats been done. I am slowly begining to find faults with it as i begin to motor more but so far nothing major. but in time (read: when im not woefully broke and its causing major problems) i will upgrade to something proper.

but for the old race bike it just needs rear suspension of some sort. and in that instance anything would be better. maybe i try flog it off as is? just dont like selling something that stands a real chance of sitting doing nothgin