PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury: 20/09/08 - Arthurs Pass Ride

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
15th September 2008, 21:09
Hey everyone

I am planning a ride this Saturday to Arthurs Pass. The route will go as follows

Christchurch => Arthurs Pass => Greymouth => Reefton => Victoria National Park => Christchurch

I think that easy rider has already expressed an interest in coming so I thought I would extend the invite to everyone.

It will be a relaxed ride as I like to take in the sights.

If anyone is interested then we can discuss details for stops and stuff here.

Leaving: Saturday 7.30am
Returning: Saturday Evening
Distance: 661km
Ride time: 8 hours 42 minutes (+ sheduled stops)
Starting Point: departing from the Yaldhurst/Russley road intersection garag

Map (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&saddr=christchurch+8052&daddr=greymouth+to:-41.861379,171.776733+to:reefton+to:christchurch+80 52&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=1&mrsp=2&sz=8&via=2&sll=-42.662241,171.99646&sspn=1.850061,3.312378&ie=UTF8&z=8)

Attending

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
Transalper & Janet
Garfield69

200BUSA
15th September 2008, 21:36
A ride around the block,it is a great ride on a nice day.Pity i cant go along.But another time maybe.

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
15th September 2008, 21:44
Yeah no worries, im sure I will do it again sometime soon.

Subike
15th September 2008, 22:33
Bro,
If my bike was roadworthy, I would be there. so as much as I am having withdrawls, GOD I WANNA RIDE!! ( calm down now young fella):argh:
I have to finnish putting her back togeather.
To be sure I will be joining you on a ride this summer.

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
15th September 2008, 22:44
I wish you a speedy assembly!

Creeping Death
15th September 2008, 22:55
Will try to make the next one as working Sat.Hey,have you done the run up to Kaikoura?Great sights along the coastline to be seen and yummy crayfish up that way too!:woohoo:

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
15th September 2008, 23:12
Will try to make the next one as working Sat.Hey,have you done the run up to Kaikoura?Great sights along the coastline to be seen and yummy crayfish up that way too!:woohoo:

Will see you next time for it. I went up that way last weekend in the car and its an amazing route...really loved it. The crays were nice too! garlic butter bbq at the side of the road!

Dave-
16th September 2008, 00:05
Will see you next time for it. I went up that way last weekend in the car and its an amazing route...really loved it. The crays were nice too! garlic butter bbq at the side of the road!

i'd be keen to go as far as arthurs and back if that's ok

dunno if the zxr would make it...

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
16th September 2008, 09:12

Yeah thats cool, quite good to have a shorter route for those not wanting the numb ass.

imdying
16th September 2008, 09:38

dunno if the zxr would make it...It'd make it easy... but if you get that far, keep going... the roads after that... well, the ZXR will eat them up :yes:

It's not a matter of if the ZXR will make it, more like will your arse take it :laugh:

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
16th September 2008, 14:29
weather is looking a little fruity for the weekend. Keeping all my extremities crossed though.

laRIKin
16th September 2008, 16:52

Turn off at Jacksons and you will save about 120K's and you can wait and get a rest while they ride around and get some of the numbness out of your arse and clear your head as you will have about an hour and a half rest to have a good lunch.

Transalper
16th September 2008, 17:46
Turn off at Jacksons and you will save about 120K's and you can wait and get a rest while they ride around and get some of the numbness out of your arse and clear your head as you will have about an hour and a half rest to have a good lunch.Yes indeed, there is a remote possibility I could be in for that, maybe rejoining at Reefton.
Already set for a bit of a night adventure Saturday night so may still save myself and my gas for that.

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
16th September 2008, 18:20
Yes indeed, there is a remote possibility I could be in for that, maybe rejoining at Reefton.
Already set for a bit of a night adventure Saturday night so may still save myself and my gas for that.

Cool cool! Depending on the day and how numb my ass it we can alter the route to suit people etc.

JATZ
16th September 2008, 18:28
What time do you reakon you'll hit Inangahua junction?, Could be keen on joining in between there and Springs junction. Weather dependant of course.Or if you go T/A we could possibly do a flying trip to Big river ?

Transalper
16th September 2008, 19:07
You a real prick for suggesting that. I doubt I'm going to make it, I got a day pass more for Sunday than Saturday but if you post the big River suggestion in the KB Adv forum for onother Saturday I would try be in, I'd go via Lewis for that, or even spend Friday night in Reefton.

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
16th September 2008, 19:22
What time do you reakon you'll hit Inangahua junction?, Could be keen on joining in between there and Springs junction. Weather dependant of course.Or if you go T/A we could possibly do a flying trip to Big river ?

Sorry buddy not sure where that junction is or what the timing will be like as I have never done it before. If you can tell me where it is I can always text with an update on how we are progressing.

Can u show me what the big river it is on google maps? I have not a clue.

JATZ
16th September 2008, 19:26
No worries T/A. A full day down that way would prolly be better, Big river/Napoleons hill :Punk: Perhaps even a gallop around Denniston, Mount Rochfort :jerry:

Transalper
16th September 2008, 19:30
Big River mine is up a rough rocky/dirt (and likely muddy now) track in the hills behind Reefton.
Inangahua junction is about 30km North of Reefton, straight above point C on your route on your google map.

JATZ
16th September 2008, 19:36
Sorry buddy not sure where that junction is or what the timing will be like as I have never done it before. If you can tell me where it is I can always text with an update on how we are progressing.

Can u show me what the big river it is on google maps? I have not a clue.

Inangahua Junction= where h/way 6 (Buller Gorge)meets h/way69(to get to Reefton), bout 39 k's from Westport.

Big river's about 1 k south of Reefton, 4wd track going into the wild country

(damn I a slow typer)

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
16th September 2008, 19:41
ah right so the big river thing is not suitable for bit heavy luxury tourers lol

Transalper
16th September 2008, 19:51
My last GPS tracklog from Reefton to Big River is 24.6km in and same again getting back out.
It's well worth the trip if you can do it sometime... either on Adventure bike or 4x4.

JATZ
16th September 2008, 19:52
ah right so the big river thing is not suitable for bit heavy luxury tourers lol

Depends on your riding ability, I might have a spare worn out set of dual purpose tyre I could loan you, Up to you to put em on though.:woohoo:

-easy--rider-
16th September 2008, 20:05
hey was only really planning on going as far as jacksons or a bit more. but il probly go all the way if the weathers good.

Mr Triple
16th September 2008, 20:45
Dam I would be in if not working, I'd be keen if you do another.:yes:

Ghost_Bullet
16th September 2008, 22:12
Would have been ierested had I not been heading to the Pissed Penquin Rally down kaka Point ways..... hope the weather plays ball for ya's

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
16th September 2008, 22:56
Depends on your riding ability, I might have a spare worn out set of dual purpose tyre I could loan you, Up to you to put em on though.:woohoo:

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass for now. I am planning on getting an off road bike at some point so I will join in then.

Dam I would be in if not working, I'd be keen if you do another.:yes:

Yeah im sure I will do runs quite regularly when the weather is good.

Dave-
17th September 2008, 01:08
It'd make it easy... but if you get that far, keep going... the roads after that... well, the ZXR will eat them up :yes:

It's not a matter of if the ZXR will make it, more like will your arse take it :laugh:

nah she's not running the best, needs a damn good tune, balance, valve clearance, etc...

Transalper
17th September 2008, 07:04
or maybe just a good blow out like this.

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
17th September 2008, 10:12
or maybe just a good blow out like this.

haha sounding like a salesman, doing a good job of justifying the ride :)

imdying
17th September 2008, 10:24
nah she's not running the best, needs a damn good tune, balance, valve clearance, etc...

One of the boys just brought a 4 cyl carb balance... should arrive today.

garfield69
17th September 2008, 18:58
I could be keen, if the weather looks ok that is, I'm not much of a wet weather rider.
Its been quite a while since my last kiwibiker ride, and that didn't end too well, but I'm keen to take the new steed on a bit of a blat out of town.
Have you decided upon a starting point?

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
17th September 2008, 20:24
I could be keen, if the weather looks ok that is, I'm not much of a wet weather rider.
Its been quite a while since my last kiwibiker ride, and that didn't end too well, but I'm keen to take the new steed on a bit of a blat out of town.
Have you decided upon a starting point?

im open to suggestion on a starting point, do you know anywhere on the route out of christchurch?

garfield69
17th September 2008, 20:52
Theres always the gas station on the corner of Yaldhurst and Russley roads, that way everyone can start with a full tank. What do ya reckon?

Transalper
17th September 2008, 21:23
Theres always the gas station on the corner of Yaldhurst and Russley roads, that way everyone can start with a full tank. What do ya reckon?That garage always works for me.
It is looking like myself and Janet may be along for most the ride.
I'll be aiming to be home about 4 or 5pm to get organised for the Lees Valley in the dark adventure ride out of Rangiora at 7pm.

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
17th September 2008, 21:58
That sounds great! I'll update the starting point.

So is an 8am start good for you guys or do you want it earlier?

Transalper
18th September 2008, 00:53
7:30am departing from the Yaldhurst/Russley road intersection garage would be good in my book but I can try do earlier although I'm usually 5 minutes late no matter what. 8am depart is fine too. We'll see how we go, J and I might short cut the route a little to be back in good time.
The weather better be nice on the coast.

Creeping Death
18th September 2008, 02:26
When leaving Chch till ya get past Otira then them ugly ole clouds start gathering sayin' to each other "hmmm...bikers enjoyin themselves aye...let's see if we can ruin it..."Murphys law usually applies when headin' to the coast.Fine here = Crap there but occasionaly this Murphy chap has been known to lie...have a safe trip guys and make sure to leave a tip for the barmaid at Revingtons in Greymouth,she's a wee doll and check out them big as rocks at Punakaiki if youse go that far!:done::Punk::sunny:

JATZ
18th September 2008, 18:00
What time do you think you'll hit Westport ?

-easy--rider-
18th September 2008, 18:06
i live way out i the country i cant meet you at yauldhurst. sheffield is good for me. isnt the wether sapossed be crap anyway?

Transalper
18th September 2008, 18:59
What time do you think you'll hit Westport ?
No way to tell, totally depends if we actually go that way and how much stopped time we take before then etc etc.
PM me your cell and I'll txt you an update or two. I think it's often only about 3 hours to Greymouth without blowing any speed limits but the bit after that along the coast might take a while in cruse mode.

i live way out i the country i cant meet you at yauldhurst. sheffield is good for me. isnt the wether sapossed be crap anyway?All forecasters I watch say sunshine all over. Not saying it will be anything but cold though. Just watched TV1 forecast and they had sunshine both sides of the Island for Saturday too.
I imagine Sheffield would be a good hook up spot.

-easy--rider-
18th September 2008, 19:48
All forecasters I watch say sunshine all over. Not saying it will be anything but cold though. Just watched TV1 forecast and they had sunshine both sides of the Island for Saturday too.
I imagine Sheffield would be a good hook up spot.[/QUOTE]

yeah i see that now looks good. how about i meet you guys at the sheefield shop or something. let us know a time i might just ride halfway over then comeback. we'll see.

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
18th September 2008, 21:46
yeah i see that now looks good. how about i meet you guys at the sheefield shop or something. let us know a time i might just ride halfway over then comeback. we'll see.

let me know your number, can get in contact if we are earlier or later than we guessed.

dangerous
19th September 2008, 06:06
Just not enough days in the w/e, have a good ride its an awesome route. next time for me as its still race season but the touring starts soon with the Nelson rally.

karbonblack
19th September 2008, 16:25
By coincidence, a couple of us from Emoto are taking a new Aprilia Shiver and a new Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 8V to the coast via Arthurs pass tomorrow to run them in. We had planned to leave homes(s) either side of the Waimak at 8:00am and meet at Sheffield around 8:30ish before heading off together. We'll be going slow (ahem) but woud be keen to hook up with your group at some stage during the day. Wave out if you spot us!! :2thumbsup

garfield69
19th September 2008, 17:28
I guess I can't really speak for the other guys but I'd be keen to hook up (I'm sure they would too) esecially as it looks like we are going to try to meet up with -easy--rider- in Sheffield. I'd be keen to check out the new Shiver, see how it stacks up against my wee Prilia.
If you want you can PM me with your number and I can give you progress reports of our location.

Transalper
19th September 2008, 17:35
J and I are going to shortcut from Greymouth to Reefton when we get that far.
Since I have another evening meet I don't consider I have enough time to go all the way up to Westport... it is of course worth the effort to go up the coast but not for me this time.
We will still stick to the start of the original plan and stay with the others in to Greymouth.

-easy--rider-
19th September 2008, 17:45
let me know your number, can get in contact if we are earlier or later than we guessed.

my fones fucked at the moment.how about we meet at say 8.30? or around then. then we can meet those other guys too.

dangerous
19th September 2008, 18:42
By coincidence, a couple of us from Emoto

Hang on, Alice is ment to keep me in the know... a couple, LOL theres only Alice and her old man (ohh and a new mech I believe) so who are you? :Punk:

kidding enjoy the ride

karbonblack
19th September 2008, 19:00
Hmmm, well there is now Richard and Alice and Rennie as well as me! ;)

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
19th September 2008, 19:38
Hey everyone

if anyone wants my number just PM me and I will reply tonight! I will also check my inbox in the morning before I leave.

Very excited

dangerous
19th September 2008, 19:53
Hmmm, well there is now Richard and Alice and Rennie as well as me! ;)

Figered as much, just didnt relise you were a member here... we will have to get some info up on EMOTO on the local forum www.visordown.co.nz/go but 1st I had beter visit the new shop. :wari:

karbonblack
19th September 2008, 20:06
Yep, I have been here a while - since 2003. I have had to bite my tongue a couple of times!! :calm:

helenoftroy
20th September 2008, 19:11
Soo.....tell us, did you guys have a good day??:devil2:

Would have loved to have gone but only had a half day for riding today(the Mt Hutt access road was a fantastic blast on the trailbikes .....:niceone:)

-easy--rider-
20th September 2008, 19:36
yep sure did.

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
20th September 2008, 19:59
check out tour reports for some pictures etc

JATZ
20th September 2008, 20:02
HELL YEAH, needed that, only hooked up between Reefton and Springs Junction but it was a good squirt 'round the block anyway, despite the puncture

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
20th September 2008, 20:26
pics and comments

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=82308

Transalper
21st September 2008, 00:54
Yep, home safe, was a great ride... then out again and just got back half an hour ago from riding Lees Valley with the Adv boys to finish off the day.
Now it's :zzzz: time.