PDA

View Full Version : Do you smell bacon?

Coldkiwi
5th November 2002, 11:54
A question for the many of us who have been hauled over by the pigs for various reasons.

Is it conceivable that police radars in cars are not as effective (ie take longer to lock on) at picking up the smaller frontal area of a motorcycle as they are the fat face of a car?
I am curious as I have been hauled over for (admitedly stupidly) for going through a red light but at the time was well over the speed limit. The police car I didn't see (it was a Nissan Maxima - are they maybe not fitted with radars?) did a U-turn, busted me for the red light but didn't even mention my speed!
So what I want to know is are we onto a good thing by being smaller or was I just lucky not to get done by a regular radar fitted patrol car?

Can anyone shed light on this?

wari
6th November 2002, 17:01
But I have been speeding past a local fixed camera ... front on of course :) ... and haven't seen a flash ... sweetas !!

Frenchy
17th May 2007, 20:11
hell no your just as likley to get caught on a bike i've got a dector on my bike and you soon learn that the police are getting smart!! they don't leave there radars on any more they just wait till they see some one speeding then flick it on. you were just lucky!! but there is a new product out you can paint on you headligts and forks, those are ment to be the parts that give you up. havent tried it yet but might look into it some more. oh and you have to reapply it every 6 months

White trash
17th May 2007, 20:15
Jesus Christ Franz!! That is possibly THE best thread dredge ever. Bling rewarded my friend.

Grahameeboy
17th May 2007, 20:22
Try this

http://www.buyradardetectors.com/products/veil/laser-veil.aspx

doc
17th May 2007, 20:27
hell no your just as likley to get caught on a bike i've got a dector on my bike and you soon learn that the police are getting smart!! they don't leave there radars on any more they just wait till they see some one speeding then flick it on. you were just lucky!! but there is a new product out you can paint on you headligts and forks, those are ment to be the parts that give you up. havent tried it yet but might look into it some more. oh and you have to reapply it every 6 months Hey this could be the answer, The US Blackbird C130's in the 80's use to have a rubberised paint,that they reckon helped to lessen the relection of the radar. Gotta be some further development available to use on a bike. But we never got the BirdFlu, Sar's or Mad Cow disease either so we will probably miss out on this too.

Frenchy
17th May 2007, 20:28
Try this

Thats the shit. thanks

Colapop
17th May 2007, 20:30
Is this the first thread posted...?

Frenchy
17th May 2007, 20:30
But we never got the BirdFlu, Sar's or Mad Cow disease either so we will probably miss out on this too.

think your wrong there i've meet more then one mad cow!!:shit:

doc
17th May 2007, 20:40
think your wrong there i've meet more then one mad cow!!:shit:Yeah I married the other one, imported from the South Island. But back to topic before we get binned. Did you notice the start date of this thread. Cold Kiwi last I saw was about to get married. He probably knows what a Mad Cow looks like now too.

Frenchy
17th May 2007, 20:46
Yeah I married the other one, imported from the South Island. But back to topic before we get binned. Did you notice the start date of this thread. Cold Kiwi last I saw was about to get married. He probably knows what a Mad Cow looks like now too.

true! no never noticed i was quite happy just clicking away with the mouse :gob:

marty
17th May 2007, 21:14
Is this the first thread posted...?

here's an earlier one:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2

marty
17th May 2007, 21:15
and the first one?:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=22648

marty
17th May 2007, 21:16
actually just seen the times posted - the sv650 one is earlier by 20 mins

jeremyb
19th May 2007, 10:37
But I have been speeding past a local fixed camera ... front on of course :) ... and haven't seen a flash ... sweetas !!

Fixed cameras are all pretty much using under road sensors now which are way less likely to pick up a motorcycle, look for the octagonal cutout marks on the tarmac, they are using them for the mobile ones as well in a lot of places.

gt_phanta
25th May 2007, 10:39
Question: What about Radar Jammers? I know they're not legal, but I know of someone who used one, apparently quite successfully.

sAsLEX
25th May 2007, 10:55
Jesus Christ Franz!! That is possibly THE best thread dredge ever. Bling rewarded my friend.

Question: What about Radar Jammers? I know they're not legal, but I know of someone who used one, apparently quite successfully.

What about them? Could tell you a bit about them, how to design one etc

I think the main problem is the frequency agility of the Stalker ( not sure which model the NZ cops have) which requires a smarter jammer, or if they only have limeted freq a couple of jammers......

maneac
26th May 2007, 13:19
Try this

:gob: some good stuff just got 2 get my hands onto a c/card

Krusti
26th May 2007, 14:05
Don't know about latest units but af far as the hawk units go... If you were travelling along a straight beside a train the only reading would be the trains speed due to its large mass.:yes:

Scouse
26th May 2007, 15:13
Try this

http://www.buyradardetectors.com/products/veil/laser-veil.aspxIv'e got some snake oil for sale if any one is interested

Storm
26th May 2007, 20:52
Or the 100% success rate trick DONT FUCKEN SPEED
No worries :D

tl_tub
26th May 2007, 21:02
Dynamytus is right, (some?) laser jammers do work but you wont find a radar jammer that works, as the equipment that is required for that takes up considerable space and money. And remember there are a lot more radars out there than lasers!

scumdog
26th May 2007, 22:59
Some of you guys need to watch Mybusters on Sky some time, they tried every known urban 'trick' to beat radar (right down to covering a whole Cadillac in silver foil) and none of them worked.

Still, keep on trying, the world loves a trier.....

scumdog
26th May 2007, 23:03
Don't know about latest units but af far as the hawk units go... If you were travelling along a straight beside a train the only reading would be the trains speed due to its large mass.:yes:

Ya need to get with the times.

Now the radar has a 'fastest' window as well as the regular one.
The 'fastest' one displays the fastest speed (surprise-surprise!!!).

So sure, the train speed would show - but so would your bike speed so unless
you're riding a nifty-fifty there's a good chance your speed would be featuring in the 'fastest' window.

Krusti
26th May 2007, 23:08
Well there you go..I'm still safe because I never show up as fastest :innocent:

NighthawkNZ
26th May 2007, 23:41
Or the 100% success rate trick DONT FUCKEN SPEED
No worries :D

Thats not always true either... :angry:

idb
27th May 2007, 05:21
The only foolproof method so far known to western science is to coat the frontal areas of your bike - including your jacket and helmet - in vaseline.
Vaseline has been proven to absorb the radio waves rather than reflect them.
It makes perfect sense if you think about it and it's also way cheaper than a detector or jammer.
If you try it and it doesn't work then you must have missed something like your gloves or rally badges.

spudchucka
27th May 2007, 06:35
The only foolproof method so far known to western science is to coat the frontal areas of your bike - including your jacket and helmet - in vaseline.

And feathers, you need lots of feathers to make it work properly.

Grahameeboy
27th May 2007, 06:49
And feathers, you need lots of feathers to make it work properly.

Steady boy........................

Chocky
23rd September 2007, 00:51
6 months ago I overtook a car in a 50 zone, wound out my rf9 to redline in 1st 100kph+ 150meters up the road was a cop in a car, parked, I hit the brakes when I saw him get out of the car to wave me down :pinch: shit shit shit I thought i was stuffed as I only have learners (17years and counting) and I had only got the bike 2 days before so didnt know it well enugh to do a runner. anyway... I stoped, he walks up and says 'why are you doing 63?' I damm near kissed him! but we got talking and he had had a rf9 a few years ago and gsxr's as well as an old gs1000 (me too) so after a chat he says ' OK mister .......... I tell you wot, I didnt see you had a learners, I didnt see you on a 900 and I didnt see you with no L plates, BUT here is a ticket for 63ks in a 50 zone' !!!!! :banana: yes I did buy a lotto and yes I am still poor

canarlee
23rd September 2007, 01:10
fark me, this thread is old!

BUT, "in car" and "hand held" speed detectors are useless on bikes!

to register a speed of a moving vehicle correctly they need one square foot of FLAT bodywork to be able to "lock on" to your vehicle.

where on a bike is there one square foot of flat bodywork?

i will try and find a link that proves this. i have seen it before, just need to remember where lol

marty
23rd September 2007, 08:46
bollox. sure trucks and hummers are easier to pick up than bikes. rx7's take a bit of time. gixxers and other sprot bikes are pretty slippery, but IMEX a large speed difference between the patrol car and the target is the biggest factor. as for your comment about 'in car' and 'hand held' being useless on bikes, what the fuck is all the whingeing on here about getting pinged at !%& km/h about then? have you ever actually been in a patrol car and seen how these things work? reading about it on the internet is (shock horror) not like the real thing you know!

one of the biggest reflector of radar is a rotating surface (that's why stealth bombers have hidden engines) what is the first thing that a police radar sees?

i think you need to read up on some radar theory. maybe even go for a ride with an HP cop. i could arrange if you have the balls.

Scouse
23rd September 2007, 09:02
where on a bike is there one square foot of flat bodywork?How about yer inline four engine

Dave-
23rd September 2007, 09:52
hell no your just as likley to get caught on a bike i've got a dector on my bike and you soon learn that the police are getting smart!! they don't leave there radars on any more they just wait till they see some one speeding then flick it on. you were just lucky!! but there is a new product out you can paint on you headligts and forks, those are ment to be the parts that give you up. havent tried it yet but might look into it some more. oh and you have to reapply it every 6 months

lol

aahahahahahaha

this is almost as good as the time some joker tried telling me if you put bed springs over your car radiator you couldnt be pinged...

no, you'd have to paint the bike with special paint that only the american military has access to, you'd also have to alter the body and form platforms which deflect the radio waves, and to top off all your work, you're still very detectable, your signature is just smaller (which doesnt mean harder to track)

Disco Dan
23rd September 2007, 09:59
http://mythbustersresults.com/episode18

jrandom
23rd September 2007, 10:08
maybe even go for a ride with an HP cop. i could arrange if you have the balls.

Fookin neow!

What's a guy gotta do to bribe you into arranging that, dude? I'd be dead keen.

Chocky
23rd September 2007, 10:17
Permanent cams are all done with sensors in the road I'm not sure if it's weight or magnetic but I have never set one off but then I will never trust one NOT to go off if its pointing at my rear. mobile cams are radar and detectors go off for miles around them so im thinking thay aer on all the time. Oh BTW rain fucks up radar so if you get pulled and it pissing down tell them you dont think he/she could hav got an accurate reading in the rain, as long as you wernt thrashing it they usualy drop it. I have got off 2 mobile tickets this way but you have to get the photo and it must clearly show that it is raining

marty
23rd September 2007, 10:39
you are talking about 2 completely different things here.

fixed camera sites are run off ground looping, so it doesn't matter if it's raining.

yes there are some issues with obtaining a ground speed in heavy rain, but operator experience and quality of equipment can minimise those issues (patrolling slower is the first thing to do). there are no photos associated with a patrol car ticket, so how can obtaining a photo and if it's raining in the photo make any difference?

marty
23rd September 2007, 10:39
Fookin neow!

What's a guy gotta do to bribe you into arranging that, dude? I'd be dead keen.

it would have to be in the waikato - south cambridge.

Grantasaurus
23rd September 2007, 17:11
There's a radar jammer you can get from the states, called an AN/ALQ99, that would work a treat at beating police radar. It can detect and jam all incoming doppler radars, and police comms etc.
Somebody's bound to be importing them and selling them on Trademe... they shouldn't be too expensive to obtain.

marty
23rd September 2007, 18:32
actually, to operate a radar jammer purchased off tardme you will need a radio licence.

Grantasaurus
23rd September 2007, 18:43
actually, to operate a radar jammer purchased off tardme you will need a radio licence.

You'd need a lot more than a radio licence to operate one of these..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/ALQ-99

I was just being a dickhead

Frenchy
23rd September 2007, 18:48
Vaseline has been proven to absorb the radio waves rather than reflect them.
It makes perfect sense if you think about it and it's also way cheaper than a detector or jammer.
If you try it and it doesn't work then you must have missed something like your gloves or rally badges.

Now that would be a hell of a sight to see the cop would prob let you off on the account you might a few lose screws for trying it:Pokey:

Teava
23rd September 2007, 18:54
ok so this want help you get of a mobile ticket but should help you
out at night on stationary cameras http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epdVKvU2NN8

duckonin
23rd September 2007, 19:01
life goes by fast enough now without "speeding" on through it..kick back and enjoy the miles without the threat of a ticket, if you carn't do that then hook onto a prat who loves to race any bike these are great value, way cheaper than a detector and they get the ticket...

Swoop
25th September 2007, 13:56
The US Blackbird C130's in the 80's use to have a rubberised paint,that they reckon helped to lessen the relection of the radar.
The Blackbird is the SR-71. A C-130 is a cargo plane. What are you referring to?
SR-71's are painted with "high-emissivity blue" paint (indistinguishable by the human eye, with "black"). Rubberised paint wouldn't cut the mustard with the temperatures generated on the skin of an SR-71.

Professional, Intelligent, Good Looking and Smart (P.I.G.S)
P.I.G.L.S.? Isn't Piggles advertising for ANZ at the moment?

Iv'e got some snake oil for sale if any one is interested
Heilen will be in contact within the next day or so. Elections are coming.

Steam
25th September 2007, 14:26
The Blackbird is the SR-71. A C-130 is a cargo plane. What are you referring to?

In the 1960's to 1980's there was/maybe still is a US special forces group called the Blackbirds who used the C-130 fitted out for Special Operations – particularly the Fulton Recovery System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system) used for surface to air extraction. They were black and had the early attempts at anti-radar coatings.

imdying
25th September 2007, 14:37
In the 1960's to 1980's there was/maybe still is a US special forces group called the Blackbirds who used the C-130 fitted out for Special Operations – particularly the Fulton Recovery System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system) used for surface to air extraction. They were black and had the early attempts at anti-radar coatings.

Fulton first used instrumented dummies as he prepared for a live pickup. He next used a pig, as pigs have nervous systems close to humans. Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 mph. It arrived on board undamaged but in a disoriented state. Once it recovered, it attacked the crew.Bahahahaha :rofl:

mattimeo
25th September 2007, 14:41
Man I should learn to read the whole thread before quoting someone and replying.

I was going to reference a mythbusters episode that looked at a pile of radar defusing paints designed for this purpose. None of them worked...

Swoop
25th September 2007, 15:09
Bahahahaha :rofl:
I read a first-hand account of a SEAL being extracted with this system.
Waiting to be reeled into the C-130 he became bored and proceeded to "body-surf" side to side... The crew thought he was in trouble!

marty
25th September 2007, 15:34

considering the C130 has 4 fuck-off big propellors on it, and as they would reflect more radar back than a big reflecting thingy, i think that painting said plane in rubber paint would do nothing more than get it an invite to the annual fetish ball.

peasea
25th September 2007, 15:47
ok so this want help you get of a mobile ticket but should help you
out at night on stationary cameras http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epdVKvU2NN8

Anyone in NZ stock the stuff?

Guitana
25th September 2007, 18:43

Are these guys the same as the "Black Watch"???? Cos they just seem to be fitted out for mass destruction!!!!!! These guys have killed more civillians in Iraq than Saddam Hussein!!

Guitana
25th September 2007, 18:44
considering the C130 has 4 fuck-off big propellors on it, and as they would reflect more radar back than a big reflecting thingy, i think that painting said plane in rubber paint would do nothing more than get it an invite to the annual fetish ball.

BRING OUT THE GIMP!!!!!!!

Sanx
25th September 2007, 19:38
I have a mate, Joe, in the UK who used to work for the defence research division of Thomson. His speciality was microwave and radar. They developed radar-jamming systems for fighter jets. Amongst the various test procedures they carried out was one designed to subject the system to a lot of vibration and shock. So they bolted it into a back of a car with buggered suspension, and then spent several days driving it round the roughest roads they could find.
This being the UK, there were also one or two speed cameras on these very same roads (speed cameras in the UK are radar-triggered). Apparently, systems designed to jam radar on fighter jets also work quite well against common or garden speed cameras too.
Of course, at over 100kg it might be a little too big to fit on your bike, but ...

Sanx
25th September 2007, 19:39
it would have to be in the waikato - south cambridge.

I'd travel down for that... Seriously.