PDA

View Full Version : Yet another migrant with some questions.

no-coast-punk
16th September 2008, 09:26
Hey guys,

I'm potentially another migrant coming from the US.

Between the free fall of the American Peso on the international markets and the fact the rest of the world wants to bomb us, seems like a decent time to leave.

I've done a decent amount of lurking here and it looks like most of the easy questions have been answered so I won't waste anybodies time with the common stuff.

First off: My background is as a mechanic in the exotic car/racing world. I'm a factory trained and certified Mercedes Benz tech. I'm also ASE master certified (probably doesn't mean much over there) and know my way around everything from a Ferrari to an Audi. I built 31 race engines in '07 including a few record breaking numbers. Does anybody on here have an "in" with a facility that may need my skills? I'd like to have a way to provide myself with such luxuries as food and a roof over my head before landing in the country.

Second: I am probably going to need to lease a container to have my tools shipped over. I have a pretty good idea on the cost... just wondering if anybody had any specific recommendations on a freight broker to go through. I'd rather not have to deal with a $100,000 tool box laying on the bottom of the ocean. Might be a bit inconvenient reaching that goal of feeding myself if that happens.

Third: Looks like most bikes over there are worth a small fortune. I'm probably going to throw my R6 in the same container as the tools. Problem is that there is a pesky turbo that hangs out under the plastics along with a one off wiring harness. I can slip the factory mufflers/cat's back on the bike without too much trouble. Just wondering if the government types are still going to pitch a fit over how the rest of the bike isn't exactly the way that Mr. Yamaha intended. If the turbo/special motor is going to be a huge pain in the ass getting papers for the thing I'll just sell it and find something normal to bring over.

Fourth: I'm assuming that E-85 (85% Ethanol) fuel is pretty much non existant over there? If this is the case are there any stations that have 100+ octane fuels readily available at the pump?

Fifth: I'm going to be bringing my dog with me. Any recommendations on which airlines/quarantine outfits to use?

I'm probably going to be makin the move in the next 3-6 months. Looking forward to it. Seems like a decent bunch of people in this community.

Mully
16th September 2008, 13:09
In no particular order:

Work - www.couttscars.com (Mercedes dealer) or an immigration consultant
Bike - Will probably need a low volume cert. $$ and drama
Petrol - 100 octane cannot be used on the road. There are a few places to buy it (for track use only of course)
Moving - www.jasjenners.co.nz (Phil)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

portokiwi
16th September 2008, 13:36
http://compare-international-movers.com/
Seems ok. I am waiting for qotes to come back as our container should be here soon.
Its gone via Antwerp.:angry2: Due now next month

slofox
16th September 2008, 14:17
Petrol: There is one 10% ethanol blend (called Force 10) available from Gull service stations - which are relatively rare outside of main centres....

Dog: Quarantine is rather long here since you come from a country where rabies happens.....not sure of the exact time...check this out.....http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/commercial-imports/animal-imports/introduction

Blackbird
16th September 2008, 14:43
Hey guys,

Third: Looks like most bikes over there are worth a small fortune. I'm probably going to throw my R6 in the same container as the tools. Problem is that there is a pesky turbo that hangs out under the plastics along with a one off wiring harness. I can slip the factory mufflers/cat's back on the bike without too much trouble. Just wondering if the government types are still going to pitch a fit over how the rest of the bike isn't exactly the way that Mr. Yamaha intended. If the turbo/special motor is going to be a huge pain in the ass getting papers for the thing I'll just sell it and find something normal to bring over.

Salvation (or at least good advice!) re your bike is at hand! I'm not sure being a newbie whether you have messaging rights yet so I'll get a close mate to reply to this post. Might take a few days as he's away from his desk at present. As well as being a Kiwi Biker member, he's a senior engineer with a government department responsible for transport matters. As well as importing his own bike from the UK a couple of years ago, he has high level involvement with low volume vehicle certification. Good luck!

Geoff

YellowDog
16th September 2008, 15:22
Hello and Welcome. Yes, NZers and NZ are/is a pretty relaxed and easy going place and you will be pretty safe at this ass end of the planet. It is probably worth you getting to know some of your fellow countrymen who have made the switch to NZ. My experience is that Americans do generally find it harder to settle here and it may be good to get a heads up form people with similar values and expectations. Your skills sound quite amazing and I am sure you will not have any trouble getting into a high performance outfit.

Regarding bringing over your R6, the NZ compliance guys are really quite tough and I suspect it will be more trouble than you need. I have a good contact at a compliance centre if you want to bounce some direct questions at him?

Regarding shipping a crate over www.NZVanlines.co.nz did a good job for me. I have also used JasJenners and can also say that Phil is a good guy and will go the extra yard for you. So long as you get adequate Marine insurance (John Rae Insurance in New Plymouth), you will be fine.

Good luck
Y.D.

-easy--rider-
16th September 2008, 18:54
hi there i work with greyhounds and we bring heaps over from australia. we usually use a company called dogtainers and there is another one called jet pets. i hope you are rich becuase it will cost a shit load.

no-coast-punk
17th September 2008, 05:22
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I have gotten some good info from the community through PM's.

The small volume certification route seems likee a bit more than I want to deal with. I'll probably just bring something normal in.

An extension question to that:

Let's say I bring an unmolested bike into the country then jump through all the hoops to get the papers I need. The urge to have something off the wall bites again. Will I be able to build a new turbo kit for the new bike at this point and keep it on the roads (assuming mufflers and cat's are left in place)? Or will I have to go through the small volume certification headache?

Brett
17th September 2008, 05:45
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I have gotten some good info from the community through PM's.

The small volume certification route seems likee a bit more than I want to deal with. I'll probably just bring something normal in.

An extension question to that:

Let's say I bring an unmolested bike into the country then jump through all the hoops to get the papers I need. The urge to have something off the wall bites again. Will I be able to build a new turbo kit for the new bike at this point and keep it on the roads (assuming mufflers and cat's are left in place)? Or will I have to go through the small volume certification headache?

Hi and welcome to KB. Look forward to meeting you if/when you get here.

Unfortuanately, any main engine mods such as putting a turbo onto an NA engine over here will require a low volume cert. However, if you brought over a standard bike (note - you will need to change headlight as in the states you dip lights opposite way to us) and get it certified and on the road, you could then turbo the bike and get a low volume cert. A low volume cert, while legally needed, is often overlooked by bike enthusiasts over here. However, this will negate your insurance if you stack the bike. However, low volume certification is not that hard. I know for cars it is quite simple. We have taken a few NA cars and dumped turbo engines in them, pay ya fee for an engineer to look over it and you are away. I would imagine bikes to be similar. I now a guy here in auckland who should be able to do this for you. He does a lot of work on damaged bikes being put back on the road.
However, put it this way...it would not be enough to put me off turboing a bike....

Hope you get together ok, hope to meet you if you make it over here. With your mechanic skills I am sure you will get a few decent job offers. Have a look at this www.sthitec.co.nz and perhaps send Soichi the owner an email. He does a lot of custom work on the GTR's, S15's etc. down here. They guy has a brilliant shop.

CookMySock
17th September 2008, 07:08
However, low volume certification is not that hard. I agree. I don't know why people are saying its difficult. There is all sorts of junk hammering around on our roads, some of it obviously dangerous to drive, and all or most of it certified.

As long as its safe and straight, you should be fine certifying anything. Really, its a scratch-builders paradise here.

Steve

DMNTD
17th September 2008, 07:18
Wouldn't be phased re the cert for your turbo'd R6 mate. Had a 240+ GSXR in at work yesterday that has had its cert no worries.
Oh and for me to answer any of your other questions you'll need to install a supercharger on my ZX14 :shifty:

sinfull
17th September 2008, 07:37
Wouldn't be phased re the cert for your turbo'd R6 mate. Had a 240+ GSXR in at work yesterday that has had its cert no worries.
Oh and for me to answer any of your other questions you'll need to install a supercharger on my ZX14 :shifty:

Ahem Aww hang on its low speed you have a prob with aint it ?

Think you will find your way in NZ quite nicely ya punk !
Biggest thing being a dog owner would be where ya set up to start with !
Would say you'd want to stay close to where they hold the animal, Am i correct ? Not sure if there is a quarintine in Aukland (say there would be)
The money you'd want to be earning would place you at the northern end of the country i'd say ! But there be plenty of work for someone like you to keep ya ticking over untill your container gets through and the dogs out of jail, anywhere in the country !

YellowDog
17th September 2008, 15:44
Most new bikes have synchronous beams, so there is no need to worry about the LHD/RHD thing. Do check the model has it first. You might want to ask an insurance company about their policy on mods before you do them. If you do a site search on insurance, you will find the list of the best ones. I use http://www.ebikeinsurance.co.nz/. Bringing a standard bike over is cheap and easy. No duty to pay. They just make you sign a DOU to say you won't sell it for 2 years (or you get hit for the 12.5% GST value).

AndyOnTheFlyingBrick
18th September 2008, 21:33
check out www.emigratenz.org/forum

good advice on moving over