PDA

View Full Version : Bike importing laws in Germany

Motoracer
16th September 2008, 13:01
Hi there,

I am thinking of taking my bike to Germany since bikes over there are overpriced. It is a race bike and I am not intending to ride it anywhere other than closed circuits.

I know that for all road bikes in Germany, EU stamps are required on all aftermarket parts to make them road worthy.

My question is, do they have these restrictions for track bikes as well?

I would like to use nurbergring and hokenhimering frequently once I am there so I need to know this for these two circuits.

I am looking on the web for some german websites as well but just thought I would try my luck here too.

Cheers
Sudeep

Motoracer
19th September 2008, 13:52
Anyone, anyone?

A new R6 in Germany is NZD 24,750

Here's probably about NZD 17,995

Cheers

bobbydazzler
2nd October 2008, 22:18
bikes in uk are resonably cheap, go there buy one then ride it to germany :) will only take 12 hours :), and as its all part of europe i dont think you will have any problems with getting it vin'd, none of this import bullshit etc, just need to get new german number plate and pay the rego., not 100% on that so best check first :)

2much
3rd October 2008, 00:03
What bike are you planning the bring over Sudeep? it would have to be worth a fair bit to make it worth the cost and time imho. If it was a road bike I would say don't bother, however I don't expect a racebike would have the same hassles. Most track regulations are much the same here as in NZ as far as I'm aware, altho some have strict noise regulations. And I assume the Germany's much the same.

Yes bikes (and almost everything else) are more expensive here but incomes are also higher and overall I would guess that it's equivalent to NZ if not a little better. That said, bikes are about €1000 cheaper in Germany than they are here in the Netherlands.

Are you moving over mate? Know where you're gonna be living?

Motoracer
3rd October 2008, 10:14
What bike are you planning the bring over Sudeep? it would have to be worth a fair bit to make it worth the cost and time imho. If it was a road bike I would say don't bother, however I don't expect a racebike would have the same hassles. Most track regulations are much the same here as in NZ as far as I'm aware, altho some have strict noise regulations. And I assume the Germany's much the same.

Yes bikes (and almost everything else) are more expensive here but incomes are also higher and overall I would guess that it's equivalent to NZ if not a little better. That said, bikes are about €1000 cheaper in Germany than they are here in the Netherlands.

Are you moving over mate? Know where you're gonna be living?

Hey bro,

Yea I would like to take my beloved R6 over. I am planning on Moving to Frankfurt in early Jan 09. That's just about 4-5 hours driving from where you are!

I am in the freight forwarding industry so the whole thing will be at cost for me. Also, they don't seem to have any decent race bikes in Germany so I think it is worthwhile to take it over.

Shit, I didn't even know that you moved over there. How's things? You got a bike there? Yea my bro was saying that bikes are way more expensive in Paris than in Germany

2much
3rd October 2008, 23:19
Haven't you killed that poor thing yet? lol

Yeah bro, that's not too far away at all, in fact I'll be halfway there next weekend at Intermot:first: http://www.intermot-cologne.com/

I hope you plan to get a road bike too, you'll be right next to the German Eiffel there and surrounded by some great roads.

Well that's conveniant, you've got it sorted. I doubt they don't have decent racebikes, it's probably just a matter of knowing where to find them. But yeah, if you can ship it over cheap then you may as well, as just a racebike I doubt you'd have to register it or anything.

I've been here for just over a year now, plan to spend another 4 or so years here then move to Italy if all goes well. It's pretty good here and I'm enjoying it. I've got a TL now, only problem is I have to ride a few hours to reach any good riding roads.

Be prepared for a lot of hassles mate, moving to europe isn't simple. Hopefully Germany's better than Holland, but you'll be amazed at how stupidly difficult they like to make things, nothing like the simple, down to earth attitude in NZ.

If you're searching for info here are a couple of links that might send you in the right direction...

http://www.bike-promotion.de/events_engl/klasseneinteilung.html
http://www.r1-cup.de/regeln.php
http://www.german-endurance-cup.de/
http://www.1000ps.de/racing.asp
http://www.tuev-nord.de/19490.asp

Goodluck with the move bro. Let me know when you're settled in here, we'll have to catch up.

Motoracer
4th October 2008, 09:06
Thanks for that man! :)

Intermot looks mean! And it's in Cologne too! I was trying to move to Cologne as it is a very nice city. I was there just over a month ago. I just couldn't find a job there and I found one in Frankfurt instead.

Thanks for all the links too. Belive me, Germany is supposed to be one of the most anal places when it comes to strict laws and regulations for every little thing. Somehow I am guessing I won't be riding my race bike on the streets in Germany..

That's good to hear that you have a road bike. TL's are mean.. I wouldn't mind that as my road bike as well.

I will keep you updated when I make the move and for sure, we can definetly catch up. You can show me your roads there and if you wanted to check out Nurbergring or what ever ring in Germany, you can stay with us as well.

Have fun at Intermot bro

jrandom
4th October 2008, 09:08
Somehow I am guessing I won't be riding my race bike on the streets in Germany...

Pfft, what cars do the cops use over there? VW Passats or similar? You'd get away, no worries. FTP!

:msn-wink:

Motoracer
4th October 2008, 14:32
Pfft, what cars do the cops use over there? VW Passats or similar? You'd get away, no worries. FTP!

Hmmm, maybe... or maybe I'll run into some of these http://www.concept-cars.org/the-worlds-finest-police-cars.html

Matsche
6th October 2008, 15:38

Hey there,

yes, you're right on this one: But unfortunately they can talk over there radio.
And no matter how fast you are: Somebody is already waiting for you!

Bad news: On the "Autobahn" police is also driwing BMW, bike as well as cars.

Good luck
Juergen

2much
6th October 2008, 19:10
Thanks for that man! :)

Intermot looks mean! And it's in Cologne too! I was trying to move to Cologne as it is a very nice city. I was there just over a month ago. I just couldn't find a job there and I found one in Frankfurt instead.

Thanks for all the links too. Belive me, Germany is supposed to be one of the most anal places when it comes to strict laws and regulations for every little thing. Somehow I am guessing I won't be riding my race bike on the streets in Germany..

That's good to hear that you have a road bike. TL's are mean.. I wouldn't mind that as my road bike as well.

I will keep you updated when I make the move and for sure, we can definetly catch up. You can show me your roads there and if you wanted to check out Nurbergring or what ever ring in Germany, you can stay with us as well.

Have fun at Intermot bro

Yeah mate you're not wrong, Europe on the whole is pretty anal. Even the Netherlands which is supposibly proud of it's liberalness towards prostitution and drugs, etc is full of stupid rules and regulation and the government makes the Labour party look good. Germany is supposed to be one of the worst... because there's no 'E' stamp on my laser pipes there's a possibility the cops could take my bike and make me walk home whenever I'm riding over there!:bye: Cops don't fuck around over here either, I have no problem with doing a runna in NZ (conditions allowing of course), but you've got to have pretty big kahunas to try it on here.

Yeah I'm lovin the TL aye, They are a great bike. Lots of attitude and lots of fun. Plus bloody cheap here! Only problem is they are the kinda bike that beg ya to spend money on them n modify them.:bash:

Yeah bro, will be sure to catch up once you get here. Nurburgring is certainly on my list of things to do, and thanks for the offer, will almost certainly take you up on it with your proximity to the Eiffel:woohoo:... Needless to say, you guys have a place to crash over this way any time you need it.

Will post pics of intermot. Wished I had the camera on Saturday, walked into a Duc shop in Antwerpen to see 2 Desmodici's(sp?) sitting sitting side by side:yes:.... damn!!!

Goodluck with that, cops here ain't like in NZ. They don't have rules during chases (or atleast don't follow them), and they don't seem to give a fuck about public safety. Fortunately I haven't had any personal experience yet but I've see enuf on their equivalent of 'Highway Patrol' to honestly shock me... one example was following a bike at speeds up to 250k's along a narrow 2 lane backroad with plenty of traffic! plus it's a fucking long walk home... if you don't end up in prison.

Motoracer
8th October 2008, 20:20
Sweet bro! Cheers for the offer. I would love to take that oppertunity at some stage in the future once I am over there.

Also looking forward to the pics. :)

I think I won't import mine after all

I was looking in ebay.de but then I was told about www.mobile.de. That's got more stuff in it and I reckon I can find something in there

Brett
9th October 2008, 06:10

LMAO...try M3 beemers and the such. Was just in Paris and saw quite a few. I understand that Germany is very similar. I have had 2 German flatmates for 6 weeks, so have quizzed them quite a bit. One was from Cologne also.

Bikes in Paris (and from what I understand, the same is true for all flemmish countries) and the bikes were considerably more expensive. I was talking to a bloke from Norway and he paid E5000 (NZD10 000 approx) for a 2000 Yamaha Fazer 600. Seems to be indicative of many parts of UK & wealthier areas of Europe. Spain is also fairly expensive.

Sudeep, if you can get cheap transport...maybe it is worth it?? Come early 2009 they will be trying to clear out old stock and you could pick something up quite cheap in NZ and send it Euro bound...Just before I left, 2007 CBR thous were going for under 15K. Ok it is a Honda...but you get the picture.

2much
14th October 2008, 03:25
Sweet bro! Cheers for the offer. I would love to take that oppertunity at some stage in the future once I am over there.

Also looking forward to the pics. :)

I think I won't import mine after all

I was looking in ebay.de but then I was told about www.mobile.de. That's got more stuff in it and I reckon I can find something in there

All good bro, Intermot was wicked, like one fucken big bike shop! Will have pics up soon as the missus has approved the ones with her in them;)

That's a great site you've found, thanks for sharing, wasted a couple of hours at work n almost got busted by the boss :2thumbsup Bikes are even cheaper than I thought, think my next one will be coming from over there as even including the €1000 to register it here it's still cheaper.

Bikes in Paris (and from what I understand, the same is true for all flemmish countries) and the bikes were considerably more expensive. I was talking to a bloke from Norway and he paid E5000 (NZD10 000 approx) for a 2000 Yamaha Fazer 600. Seems to be indicative of many parts of UK & wealthier areas of Europe. Spain is also fairly expensive

The bonus with Holland is that altho bikes are more expensive a years rego only costs me €80 and there's no APK (wof) for bikes.