PDA

View Full Version : Slipping clutch - CBR250 MC19

aer0
16th September 2008, 16:39
Hi all,

The clutch has started slipping on my bike over the last few weeks. It started off being not too bad but over the last 2 weeks of riding to work ever day its got pretty bad.

ive tried adjusting the cable to see if i had it too tight or something but it seems that's not the case.

Looks like ill need to replace the clutch...

so ive lined up a second hand one (dont plan on having the bike much longer so just want a cheep fix)
i have a service book for the bike as per the attached photos but was wondering what special tool i will need to remove the item i have circled?

ive never done a clutch before so just looking for advice?

cheers

Sam

Str8 Jacket
16th September 2008, 17:41
I could be (most likely) completely wrong here but have you checked the gearbox oil??

no-coast-punk
16th September 2008, 22:06
That bit you have circled looks like the release bearing.

It looks like there's a torque spec on it. Some of them have a hex or 12 point head on them that a large socket can remove.

Some of them DO require a special tool. Fear not though. Creative use of a chisel punch (a flat blade screwdriver works in a pinch) and a small hammer can remove them just as effectively.

The problem becomes in re-installing everything if you use the chisel punch method. You can't exactly use a torque wrench on something like that. The "good enough" guessin' spec. works sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't and things come apart at 80mph.

Maido
18th September 2008, 12:07
1 get the od of the nut in question,
2 buy a cheap socket with the same diameter,
3 create cut outs by hack saw
4 undo nut
5 have celebratory beer to comemorate achievements.:rockon::beer:

aer0
19th September 2008, 10:15
thanks Maido, i think ill have a go at that!

Str8 Jacket, gearbox/engine oil was changed less than 1000kms ago

no-coast-punk - yeah thought of that but as you said, the torque spec thing makes me want to get it right