PDA

View Full Version : Leaking tank issues?

98tls
16th September 2008, 19:33
Have just got my bike back together after fixing what i thought was a naffed fuel pump gasket leak on my TLS,turned out to be a pin hole leak at the lowest point in tank,was only visible when we put a bright light behind it,used this stuff http://www.por15.co.nz/POR15Prod/motorcyclekit.htm (thanks EJK) and so far so good,easy to use and the secret is in allowing it as long as possible to cure.Amazingly as its a very bright silver it showed up another very very small hole we had missed after it was applied.I have put a hole in a paint tin and applied this to it then filled with petrol to see how it goes longterm.

BALZYBUELL
17th October 2008, 22:41
what caused the hole(rust maybe)thats not normal is it.i love tls i miss mine

slimjim
18th October 2008, 07:50
bugger..good to know its been patched....however would think that you're lost a bit of thickness to original tank...would not be replacing tank or if not replacing aleast wondering if tank required replating in that section....surely if tank has only been plugged that speed an vib's would work in getting petrol to seep under patch..or worse that inside of tank the material is quietly eating away around area of fault ?

scumdog
18th October 2008, 08:47
Used a 'sloshing-compound' to fix a pin-hole leak in an old XL350 I had, took it on some rough roads, paddocks etc, dropped it.. and it never ever leaked.

Naki Rat
21st October 2008, 08:16
I used that same product on an XT500 alloy tank that had a number of corrosion pin holes caused by a period of extended storage of the bike with nasty North American petrol in it.

The preparation and application of the stuff is fiddley and time consuming but the final result was brilliant. Just don't let any drops or spills on the exterior of the tank remain as this product cures hard and is designed to stay put.