PDA

View Full Version : Motard service/rebuild mileage?

humphrt
18th September 2008, 16:35
Does anyone know what kind of KM's i could expect out of a motard before it would need a top end or otherwise rebuild? Bearing in mind when i get one it will be used as a commuter and 'fun' road bike, with the odd track day each year.

Thanks

Quasievil
18th September 2008, 16:41
Does anyone know what kind of KM's i could expect out of a motard before it would need a top end or otherwise rebuild? Bearing in mind when i get one it will be used as a commuter and 'fun' road bike, with the odd track day each year.

Thanks

I think it depends on the type of Motard, ie a DRZ400 would have a better in between rebuild time than say my KTM525smr, I expect about 50 hours before I rebuild mine, which in road terms is nothing but racing terms is over a year..shit maybe two

AlBundy
18th September 2008, 16:41
Depends what you get really....

Go for something more road orientated like a DRZ and you'll get thousands of k's between services, never mind rebuilds. Some of the more tuned or converted chook chasers require service intervals of about 500km.

Just depends what you want, what you get etc...

humphrt
18th September 2008, 16:54
Was thinkin along the lines of either a DRZ or a WR400/426/450.

And what for us uninitiated road riders does 50hrs work out to in km's?

scorry
18th September 2008, 16:58
maybe average 30km/ph round town so 1500km.
my wr450 has done 3000km and still going strong, i do change the oil quite often tho

humphrt
18th September 2008, 17:00
Ok i was kinda thinking of somthing that'd manage a year between rebuilds or is this just wishful thinkin?

AlBundy
18th September 2008, 17:03
Well, a mate has a WR450 and has to do valves etc at 500km.

If you commute and do a fair ride every week etc, you'd be doing valves every two or three weeks...

I think he does oil at 1000k's, so oil change every month.

They only hold about a quart of oil, so helps to do it regularly...

Maybe others can give more details on mileage as opposed to hours... I'd expect it to be one or the other, whichever come first...

AlBundy
18th September 2008, 17:04
Ok i was kinda thinking of somthing that'd manage a year between rebuilds or is this just wishful thinkin?

On thumpertalk, there are guys with DRZ 400's with over 30 000 miles, on the same motor.
If you do oil and filters regularly, you should be fine.

humphrt
18th September 2008, 17:21
Ok so it looks as tho a DRZ will be more along the lines for me. Some weeks i do 500kms so something with longer service intervals would be good.

GaZBur
18th September 2008, 18:44
Unless you are desperately keen on spending money and taking time for maintainance you want a road oriented bike not a race oriented one. One of the best ones is the DR650. It is faster on the track that the 400's and some of the less race oriented 450's etc. Heaps better on the road too! A bit heavy on the short kart type tracks but still fun. Mines got over 15000ks and 25 race days already and i don't even intend to get the head off for at least another year. Cost of racing one is here. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=72832) Get into it - you won't regret having a go.

humphrt
18th September 2008, 18:49
Cool, thanks for the link. Got me interested *fiancee rolls eyes at me* :whocares:

Sam I Am
18th September 2008, 20:00
my XR650R motard does some track days and a far amount of road riding... I always change the oil regually and have no plans to refresh the engine any time soon and its a 2002....

but if i had a CRF 450 ( knowen as a red hand grenade ) i would be looking at every two years i guess ?

GaZBur
18th September 2008, 20:12

but if i had a CRF 450 ( knowen as a red hand grenade ) i would be looking at every two years i guess ?

I think you will find they are 50 hours for a piston, but hell they are quick. They can easily roll past my DR on the straights and must only weigh a little over 100kilos. Cool you race an XR that must be a good base for a street motard too! Motard numbers down here are increasing with every meeting.

orangeback
18th September 2008, 20:19
Well, a mate has a WR450 and has to do valves etc at 500km.

If you commute and do a fair ride every week etc, you'd be doing valves every two or three weeks...

I think he does oil at 1000k's, so oil change every month.

?????????????????? 500km ?????????????????????????????:no::no::no::no::no:

Why ????? :blink::blink:twice as often as his oil ??? didnt he tight them or something

AlBundy
18th September 2008, 20:41
?????????????????? 500km ?????????????????????????????:no::no::no::no::no:

Why ????? :blink::blink:twice as often as his oil ??? didnt he tight them or something

He's a pedantic freak. He told me they were every 500km. Are they not? Are valves every 1000k's? Or maybe I misunderstood and oil is every 500k's too but some people were doing it 1000k's...

Please enlighten us... What's the book say?

orangeback
18th September 2008, 21:41
He's a pedantic freak. He told me they were every 500km. Are they not? Are valves every 1000k's? Or maybe I misunderstood and oil is every 500k's too but some people were doing it 1000k's...

Please enlighten us... What's the book say?
i ve goot the big book that came with the wr , will have a read someday and let you know , but if it was a yz that was in race conditions all the time getting the nuts rung out ove it 24 7 it would strech the titanuim vaves but the wr dosen't rev as hard so the matanince is less frequent,
mines been raced and a bit and a done alot ove road use, and recon its done 6000km and not been touched but checked when i threw a pistion at it, that it didnt reely need.

orangeback
18th September 2008, 21:56
i ve goot the big book that came with the wr , will have a read someday and let you know , but if it was a yz that was in race conditions all the time getting the nuts rung out ove it 24 7 it would strech the titanuim vaves but the wr dosen't rev as hard so the matanince is less frequent,
mines been raced and a bit and a done alot ove road use, and recon its done 6000km and not been touched but checked when i threw a pistion at it, that it didnt reely need.
well shit me ,there's nothing that dosent get checked every 1000km other than brake fluid thats once a year replace :doh::doh::chase:

Sam I Am
19th September 2008, 00:56
I think you will find they are 50 hours for a piston, but hell they are quick. They can easily roll past my DR on the straights and must only weigh a little over 100kilos. Cool you race an XR that must be a good base for a street motard too! Motard numbers down here are increasing with every meeting.
it's a wicked street bike .. i haven't started to race it yet as i am not sure i have the balls or skills on the track. you can see a picture on it on my profile.

Motardman
19th September 2008, 11:29
My two cents....

I have a KTM 525 bored out to 540. I do oil and valve clearance every 15 hours as recommended by KTM...so far so good. I use it everyday and on last check when my KTM mechanic did so tweaking around the head :eek5: it was all looking great.

Morcs
19th September 2008, 12:29
I think it depends on the type of Motard, ie a DRZ400 would have a better in between rebuild time than say my KTM525smr, I expect about 50 hours before I rebuild mine, which in road terms is nothing but racing terms is over a year..shit maybe two

DRZ is around teh 40k mark. Then its only $500 for a shop to do the rebuild inc parts.

Quasievil
19th September 2008, 16:58
DRZ is around teh 40k mark. Then its only $500 for a shop to do the rebuild inc parts.

Mine will be around the $2500 mark Im picking, but its a 525smr, a fair bit more tweeked than a DRZ

GaZBur
20th September 2008, 10:02
it's a wicked street bike .. i haven't started to race it yet as i am not sure i have the balls or skills on the track. you can see a picture on it on my profile.
Cool looking wheels, can you tell me what size and profile the tyres you have on it. The XR will be a great all rounder and may have a slight power edge on the DR650 and the 400sm's but not as quick on the straights as the racier 450's if the motor is standard.
I recently got back into racing after many years off so know where you are at. If you havent raced before you will find starting at track days are a step up from fast road riding, but you can make progress at your own pace, do a couple of track days first. Racing is quite a step up from track days and can get hectic especially in the first few corners. Just start at the back to begin with and pick off the ones you can with saftey. If you ride a motard sooner or later you WILL hit the ground, be ready for it! Don't be a try hard like I did to start with as it cost me 2 (minor)injury bins plus a few non injury ones, at least motard bikes bounce well. Once you have done one race you will wonder how you managed to enjoy life without the thrills!

Sam I Am
21st September 2008, 15:48
the Front is 120 70 17's Rear is 150 60 17's and yes it is a fantastic all rounder. I am sure i could have purchased a second hand KTM in SM trim that would be equal or slightly better than the XR for the same cash but that would have been no fun, I really enjoy the building and tinkering of building a motard, I have had the XR for about 3 years now and every year i can afford to do a little more to it.. hot cam next on the list (not that i really need any more power at the moment)
I am still very urmm? perhaps the word is "scared" on track days ( i don't want to hurt my self. I know mid corner I have entered way too slow but it doesn't seem to help me go in any corner deeper harder and quicker.... I guess practice will be the only thing to help me.. I simply cannot believe how far motards hang in there on corners and there braking capabilities... one day i will learn to trust it.