PDA

View Full Version : Rocket III Tourer.

Big Dave
20th September 2008, 13:40
Told ya's so (except for the windscreen thing). Press release:

[19.09.08]
Rocket III Touring dominates mega cruise comparo

Triumph's Rocket III Touring is boss cocky among the big-bore cruiser fraternity, according to American monthly magazine Cycle World.
The publication recently took nine heavyweight cruisers on a massive 2300km trek through the great south-west, with the Rocket III Touring picked as the best of the marauding pack by three of the riders, and another five placed it within the top three.
This is what the author, Peter Egan, said about the 2.3-litre Rocket III Touring: "Ride quality is superb, and both ends of the taut but compliant suspension work with you to iron out washboard corners and road waves.
"The brakes have as firm, linear touch, and the bike turns in with quick precision and holds its line effortlessly in corners. After only a few miles of twisties, you realise this is a thoroughly developed chassis from a company that takes handling seriously. The big Triumph can be hustled down a winding road confidently."
Other positive comments focused on the superb 2300cc in-line triple engine, and "what is probably the best windshield in our group".
The other machines on the comparo were the Harley-Davidson Road King Classic 105th Anniversary, Honda VTX1800T, Kawasaki VN2000 Classic LT, Moto Guzzi California Vintage, Suzuki Boulevard C109RT, Victory Kingpin Tour and Yamaha Road Star Silverado S.
Of the nine bikes, the Rocket is in a league of its own for torque - 19.23kg-m versus the next best at 15.77kg-m.
Combining classic touring cruiser style with awesome performance and effortless long-haul ability, the Rocket III Touring is designed for those who demand the best. Although built around the same incredible engine platform as the Rocket III, the only chassis parts on the Rocket III Touring that are not brand new are the rear light and the mirrors. Everything else has been designed, styled and engineered from scratch to make the Rocket III Touring the ultimate touring cruiser.
The Rocket III Touring retails in Australia for $25,990, in the following colours: Eclipse Blue/Azure Blue, Jet Black, Jet Black/New England White, and Jet Black/Sunset Red. Contact your local Triumph dealer to organise a test ride.
View the comparo in Cycle World (http://bikedeadline.com.au/?page=ViewRelease&cat=1590&id=ABD2008091914079)
Links
Triumph Australia - www.triumph.co.uk/australia/ (http://www.triumph.co.uk/australia/)
Triumph dealer locator - www.triumph.co.uk/australia/dealers.aspx (http://www.triumph.co.uk/australia/dealers.aspx)
Rocket III Touring - www.triumph.co.uk/australia/Rocket_III_Touring_3828.aspx (http://www.triumph.co.uk/australia/Rocket_III_Touring_3828.aspx)

About Triumph:
Triumph Motorcycles, the iconic British motorcycle marque, is solely owned by Bloor Holdings Ltd. First established in 1902 and now located in Hinckley, Leicestershire, Triumph has always set the pace for category-winning machines. From the iconic Bonneville to the award-winning Daytona 675, Triumph offers a blend of design, character, sex appeal and performance that combines to create truly distinctive motorcycles. The rebel choice of 1960s stars such as Steve McQueen, James Dean and Bob Dylan, today Triumph continues to attract a diverse range of screen heroes, music idols and sports stars such as Tom Cruise, Nicholas Cage, Joseph Fiennes and Hugh Laurie.
For more information please contact:

Mark Fattore | Marketing Manager

The Pastor
20th September 2008, 17:43
so whats the differance? lower or higher performance? better or worse susspension?

Big Dave
20th September 2008, 18:14
so whats the differance? lower or higher performance? better or worse susspension?

The torque (surprising from me huh).

The bikes listed are all pretty good for the type of vehicle they are really.

That bit has a Triumph press release bias - ie five of 8 didn't rate it the best.

That said, the Rocket really is a joy to ride. The Biiiiig mumbo gets the juices flowing.

Forest
20th September 2008, 18:16
"The brakes have as firm, linear touch, and the bike turns in with quick precision and holds its line effortlessly in corners. After only a few miles of twisties, you realise this is a thoroughly developed chassis from a company that takes handling seriously. The big Triumph can be hustled down a winding road confidently."

Translation = This bike is not your father's cruiser.

The Pastor
20th September 2008, 18:38
wasnt the orgnial rocket good to tour on? im a little confused. I guess this one comes with a bigger screen or somthing? any photos?

Big Dave
20th September 2008, 18:42
Ahhh, Life’s ‘simple’ pleasures.

For those who haven’t visited the City of Sails lately, we have a new traffic control system on the motorways.

The metropolitan On-ramps have all been expanded to two lanes as they approach a set of traffic lights charged with regulating the flow of entering traffic.

One vehicle per lane is permitted to go on the green light. Then the 2 lanes merge into one not too far past the lights, before entering the motorway flow.

In some cases there’s only a short distance available before entering the 100kph sections.

Tranzit confirmed that the ‘competitive nature of Auckland’s drivers will ensure that entry speed to the traffic flow will be boosted’.

Or, as the Hippie says ‘Drags to a chicane at 100kph.’

Not long after picking up the Rocket III tourer I hit the on ramp.

As luck would have it, I happened to line up next to ‘Pleased With Myself’ in a late model Porshe Carrera Turbo.

Mr ‘Self’ was blipping the throttle and sitting there with the patience as a boiling kettle as he edged a full car length over the ‘start’ line – waiting for the green. I don’t think he was even aware of another vehicle.

The Rocket Three Tourer shares the same bore and stroke and previous incarnations of the Rocket Range but it runs a different tune.

A Standard Rocket III (if you can call a motorcycle with a 2.3 litre capacity developing 140bhp at 6,000 rpm ‘standard’, so lets call it the cruiser from now on) has been my benchmark for top gear roll-ons since we deputed it in the October 2004 KR. (It’s on my office wall.)

The Tourer is de-tuned to 106bhp @ 5400 rpm but makes up for it in increased torque.

The Cruiser produces 147ft.lbt of torque at 2,500 rpm whereas the Tourer develops maximum Torque of 154ft.lbf @ 2,025 rpm.

Power down thirty-four ponies – while torque is up – yes kids ‘up’ – seven of dem foot-pounds.

Earlier Hinckley Triumph Thunderbird and Sprint owners will be familiar with the English manufacturer’s fondness of ‘tuned for torque’ or ‘tuned for power’ in variants of the same model.

The Tourer is definitely tuned for torque.

Shortshifters R us.

The five speed gearbox, wet multi plate clutch – mounted at the front of the motor - and the shaft final drive are similar to the Cruiser release. It’s got three more gears than it really needs and they are massive components for a motorcycle, but the gear changes on the Tourer were clean and with all that torque on tap, not terribly frequent.

The well designed heel shifter is a welcome addition. I used it more than usual on a bike fitted with one. But then the bike takes off quite easily in third gear with minimal clutch slipping anyway.

No small torque indeed.

I was walking through the Triumph NZ warehouse with Triumph UK’s Chris Willis when we se stepped over a Rocket III engine, on a palette, that had just arrived from the UK.

‘See that starter motor’ he said. Pointing to one of the few things still hanging off a big motor as it’s packed for transport.

‘That starter motor makes more torque than the standard engine in a famous vee-twin.’

‘The starter motor!’ I intoned incredulously.

‘Yes. More than a the whole motor.’

‘Same size pistons as a Dodge Viper too’. I knowledgably hedged.

So you can imagine what the rest of the motor pulls like. It’s a beautiful thing to ‘twist’ away the Ks. It ‘torque-screws’ along beautifully and has a wicked dose of top gear overtaking ‘bam’, 2-up and fully loaded and wow. Just wow.

Hang on girl.

Co-pilot wasn’t particularly comfortable with the standard rear accommodations. Her long legs had her weight leaning back and all that ‘bam’ tended to try and send her backwards.

She was confident that a backrest – as fitted to the Cruiser we tested – would resolve the issue entirely. Do it when you order the bike.

As for the rider’s allotments, they are as good as it gets. The capacious saddle is gel padded and lounge chair comfy. The handlebars are wide and pulled back and feet rest on wide (folding) foot boards.

For a big man, of for those that just like a big (huge) motorcycle the tourer is eminently comfortable.

Wheel-ey good.

No, not like KR stalwart Stretch wheelstanding the big unit, I mean the wheels. The Tourer has a different set of wheels to the Cruiser style Rocket too…errr, three…anyway, they are smaller wheels.

The Cruiser has a 150/80 R 17 up front while the Tourer has a 150/80 R 16 that tends to sharpen up the steering somewhat, but the real difference is in the rear end. The Cruiser sports a quite massive 240/50 R 16 rear tyre while the Tourer is a more realworldly 180/70 R 16.

Not only does a 180 section save a chunk of cash when it comes to replacements – it also provides better cornering and overall handling.

The 21 spoke cast alloy wheels fit the look of the bike delightfully.

The tourer is the most ‘chuckable’ of the Rocket variants – if you can call a 357kg (dry) motorcycle chuckable. But it is surprisingly nimble due to a very low center of gravity and I did throw it around with some abandon. For the style, size and type of bike it is – it really is quite impressive.

The Kayaba 43mm forks with fully shrouded uppers and 120mm travel on the front and rear suspension with Kayaba chromed spring twin shocks with 5 position adjustable preload and 105mm wheel travel do their job nicely.

I gave it a spirted run over the Kopu saddle and from Whangamtta down to Wahi and the big beast was a real joy.

It negotiated the tight stuff well and the ground clearance surprised me. I suspect that most of it is down to the rear tyre profile.

As you would expect from one with a 2.3 litre engine the fuel economy and range is not the bike’s strong point. The warning light came on at around 200km and showed about 50km left in the countdown computer – but then it offers plenty of other compensations.

It’s like running a big vee eight in some regards, just not as expensive as one.

All that power and torque is delivered to the back wheel via an efficient shaft drive and it enhances the smoothness of the roll away the distances aspect.

The Tourer comes with a large windscreen that The Ed loved. The thing I liked best about it was how easily it was removed. It takes under 5 seconds to remove and is just as easy to replace.

The riding position and the ergonomic provided by the wide pull-back handlebars meant I could lean into the wind at speed anyway and was free of buffeting.

But in the end I keep coming back to the torque and the way the bike kind of ‘screws’ along. It makes me grin in the inside.

The sort of grin that was on my dial as the Tourer sliced, diced, toasted and had that Porsche Carrera for breakfast.

Completely cleaned him up and by the time I’d safely dropped into the traffic flow at 100kph he was still hard on it up the inside lane, quite a ways back – and fuming.

Ahhh, life’s ‘simple’ pleasures. Nailing a Rocket III Tourer. Yum.

The Pastor
20th September 2008, 18:50
Ahhh, Life’s ‘simple’ pleasures.

For those who haven’t visited the City of Sails lately, we have a new traffic control system on the motorways.

The metropolitan On-ramps have all been expanded to two lanes as they approach a set of traffic lights charged with regulating the flow of entering traffic.

One vehicle per lane is permitted to go on the green light. Then the 2 lanes merge into one not too far past the lights, before entering the motorway flow.

In some cases there’s only a short distance available before entering the 100kph sections.

Tranzit confirmed that the ‘competitive nature of Auckland’s drivers will ensure that entry speed to the traffic flow will be boosted’.

Or, as the Hippie says ‘Drags to a chicane at 100kph.’

Not long after picking up the Rocket III tourer I hit the on ramp.

As luck would have it, I happened to line up next to ‘Pleased With Myself’ in a late model Porshe Carrera Turbo.

Mr ‘Self’ was blipping the throttle and sitting there with the patience as a boiling kettle as he edged a full car length over the ‘start’ line – waiting for the green. I don’t think he was even aware of another vehicle.

The Rocket Three Tourer shares the same bore and stroke and previous incarnations of the Rocket Range but it runs a different tune.

A Standard Rocket III (if you can call a motorcycle with a 2.3 litre capacity developing 140bhp at 6,000 rpm ‘standard’, so lets call it the cruiser from now on) has been my benchmark for top gear roll-ons since we deputed it in the October 2004 KR. (It’s on my office wall.)

The Tourer is de-tuned to 106bhp @ 5400 rpm but makes up for it in increased torque.

The Cruiser produces 147ft.lbt of torque at 2,500 rpm whereas the Tourer develops maximum Torque of 154ft.lbf @ 2,025 rpm.

Power down thirty-four ponies – while torque is up – yes kids ‘up’ – seven of dem foot-pounds.

Earlier Hinckley Triumph Thunderbird and Sprint owners will be familiar with the English manufacturer’s fondness of ‘tuned for torque’ or ‘tuned for power’ in variants of the same model.

The Tourer is definitely tuned for torque.

Shortshifters R us.

The five speed gearbox, wet multi plate clutch – mounted at the front of the motor - and the shaft final drive are similar to the Cruiser release. It’s got three more gears than it really needs and they are massive components for a motorcycle, but the gear changes on the Tourer were clean and with all that torque on tap, not terribly frequent.

The well designed heel shifter is a welcome addition. I used it more than usual on a bike fitted with one. But then the bike takes off quite easily in third gear with minimal clutch slipping anyway.

No small torque indeed.

I was walking through the Triumph NZ warehouse with Triumph UK’s Chris Willis when we se stepped over a Rocket III engine, on a palette, that had just arrived from the UK.

‘See that starter motor’ he said. Pointing to one of the few things still hanging off a big motor as it’s packed for transport.

‘That starter motor makes more torque than the standard engine in a famous vee-twin.’

‘The starter motor!’ I intoned incredulously.

‘Yes. More than a the whole motor.’

‘Same size pistons as a Dodge Viper too’. I knowledgably hedged.

So you can imagine what the rest of the motor pulls like. It’s a beautiful thing to ‘twist’ away the Ks. It ‘torque-screws’ along beautifully and has a wicked dose of top gear overtaking ‘bam’, 2-up and fully loaded and wow. Just wow.

Hang on girl.

Co-pilot wasn’t particularly comfortable with the standard rear accommodations. Her long legs had her weight leaning back and all that ‘bam’ tended to try and send her backwards.

She was confident that a backrest – as fitted to the Cruiser we tested – would resolve the issue entirely. Do it when you order the bike.

As for the rider’s allotments, they are as good as it gets. The capacious saddle is gel padded and lounge chair comfy. The handlebars are wide and pulled back and feet rest on wide (folding) foot boards.

For a big man, of for those that just like a big (huge) motorcycle the tourer is eminently comfortable.

Wheel-ey good.

No, not like KR stalwart Stretch wheelstanding the big unit, I mean the wheels. The Tourer has a different set of wheels to the Cruiser style Rocket too…errr, three…anyway, they are smaller wheels.

The Cruiser has a 150/80 R 17 up front while the Tourer has a 150/80 R 16 that tends to sharpen up the steering somewhat, but the real difference is in the rear end. The Cruiser sports a quite massive 240/50 R 16 rear tyre while the Tourer is a more realworldly 180/70 R 16.

Not only does a 180 section save a chunk of cash when it comes to replacements – it also provides better cornering and overall handling.

The 21 spoke cast alloy wheels fit the look of the bike delightfully.

The tourer is the most ‘chuckable’ of the Rocket variants – if you can call a 357kg (dry) motorcycle chuckable. But it is surprisingly nimble due to a very low center of gravity and I did throw it around with some abandon. For the style, size and type of bike it is – it really is quite impressive.

The Kayaba 43mm forks with fully shrouded uppers and 120mm travel on the front and rear suspension with Kayaba chromed spring twin shocks with 5 position adjustable preload and 105mm wheel travel do their job nicely.

I gave it a spirted run over the Kopu saddle and from Whangamtta down to Wahi and the big beast was a real joy.

It negotiated the tight stuff well and the ground clearance surprised me. I suspect that most of it is down to the rear tyre profile.

As you would expect from one with a 2.3 litre engine the fuel economy and range is not the bike’s strong point. The warning light came on at around 200km and showed about 50km left in the countdown computer – but then it offers plenty of other compensations.

It’s like running a big vee eight in some regards, just not as expensive as one.

All that power and torque is delivered to the back wheel via an efficient shaft drive and it enhances the smoothness of the roll away the distances aspect.

The Tourer comes with a large windscreen that The Ed loved. The thing I liked best about it was how easily it was removed. It takes under 5 seconds to remove and is just as easy to replace.

The riding position and the ergonomic provided by the wide pull-back handlebars meant I could lean into the wind at speed anyway and was free of buffeting.

But in the end I keep coming back to the torque and the way the bike kind of ‘screws’ along. It makes me grin in the inside.

The sort of grin that was on my dial as the Tourer sliced, diced, toasted and had that Porsche Carrera for breakfast.

Completely cleaned him up and by the time I’d safely dropped into the traffic flow at 100kph he was still hard on it up the inside lane, quite a ways back – and fuming.

Thats more like it :)

Hinny
20th September 2008, 20:12
Picked by three out of the eight.
Was there another bike which scored with more riders?

laRIKin
20th September 2008, 20:52

I was lucky enough to ride a Classic Rocket back from Bealey Pub, last week.
What a blast, I was happy with the handling of the Classic to ride for such a big bike.
As I have read and heard the Touring is even better, my mouth is watering to get a ride on one of these, one day (hope).

As you probably ridden both, how would you compare the differents in the handling of them both?

Forest
21st September 2008, 00:38
How does the Rocket III compare to older cruisers like the Valkyrie?

Blackbird
21st September 2008, 07:18
I'm a real Triumph fan and it might have brilliant performance but doesn't anyone think that it's a big, ugly mother that was designed in a Russian tractor factory?

pjpnz
21st September 2008, 07:40
A guy I know has a brand new Rocket; loved the bike. He did a SI tour in March thus year. On the way home, the Rocket seized and threw him andhis pillion at over 100 kph. They were not seriously hurt.

He was told by the Triumph shop that there was a known issue where a wash/nut/somthing loosens (in the gearbox??) and leads to problems. This was the third Rocket they had with this problem.

I would love to purchase a Rocket, but would like to know that this problem has been resolved. Have you heard about the problem, and if so has it been fixed?

Big Dave
21st September 2008, 09:18
Have you heard about the problem,

No. In all the internet trawling and group activity I've seen - as well as a few thousand K's on at half a dozen different models it is the first I have heard of it.

There was a recall because of fluid leaks from the original models diff. but that was 04/05.

Big Dave
21st September 2008, 09:20
I'm a real Triumph fan and it might have brilliant performance but doesn't anyone think that it's a big, ugly mother that was designed in a Russian tractor factory?

That's simply a matter of opinion - I think the Blackbird is rather fat guts - yet enjoyed the Tourer's lines a lot.

Big Dave
21st September 2008, 09:21
How does the Rocket III compare to older cruisers like the Valkyrie?

If they aren't in your mirrors - you can't see them.
Hard to say.
I smoked a R3 over Woodcocks on a Goldwing. Depends who is riding in the performance stakes. Overall they are both capable bikes.

Big Dave
21st September 2008, 09:24
As you probably ridden both, how would you compare the differents in the handling of them both?

The 180 section rear tyre makes a big difference to overall road manners. Much better handling overall.

laRIKin
21st September 2008, 09:45

I agree with you the motor is a love hate thing.
At least you can only feel and hear it when riding.
Then again it is different from the run of the mill bikes.
Shit I ride Guzzi's, so I like different.:niceone:

He was told by the Triumph shop that there was a known issue where a wash/nut/somthing loosens (in the gearbox??) and leads to problems. This was the third Rocket they had with this problem.

From what I understand.
Some gear boxers did not have the rear out put bearing cut out (for the bearing), cut deep enough so when the gear box is assembled it pre-loaded the bearing to much and it would fail.
It has been fixed and not such on the numbers it effected and is a warranty claim.

The 180 section rear tyre makes a big difference to overall road manners. Much better handling overall.

Thanks for that and to be honest I was happy with the Classic Rocket and would probably buy that one as it has the larger tank, speedo and rev counter is up high (easier to read) and has two head lights.

Big Dave
21st September 2008, 10:02
Thanks for that and to be honest I was happy with the Classic Rocket and would probably buy that one as it has the larger tank, speedo and rev counter is up high (easier to read) and has two head lights.

It (cruiser) also has better fuel range. The tune for torque of the Tourer is thirstier and it has a smaller tank.

Trumpess
21st September 2008, 10:08
Big Dave .... I loved your report!!

I am definately no expert in regards to dynamics and specs, I'm only just learning, so no remarks from me :lol:

I have seen the Rocket III on display many times, and just recently the Tourer, and have drooled at its beauty, design and size!

I think its a truley awesome bike and I hope you have many orgasmic rides on the beauty!

laRIKin
21st September 2008, 12:48
It (cruiser) also has better fuel range. The tune for torque of the Tourer is thirstier and it has a smaller tank.

Interesting the Cruiser is sounding even better.

I have seen the Rocket III on display many times, and just recently the Tourer, and have drooled at its beauty, design and size!

There is a demo Rocket as Street and Sport, at the moment.:Pokey:
Or ask nicely or do a RAT ride sometime who knows.:scooter:

When I got back on my Sprint, well is just felt inadequate.:Playnice:

MIXONE
21st September 2008, 13:01
By sheer coincidence I was reading your original rave about running in the two first Rocket 3's before their release and I see that the leave a very lasting impression.Haven't been lucky enough to sample one yet.

Forest
21st September 2008, 17:05
If they aren't in your mirrors - you can't see them.
Hard to say.
I smoked a R3 over Woodcocks on a Goldwing. Depends who is riding in the performance stakes. Overall they are both capable bikes.

I'm not so worried about the performance, more about how the total package comes together. I haven't ridden both but I suspect you have.

Any thoughts?

Big Dave
21st September 2008, 17:29
I'm not so worried about the performance, more about how the total package comes together. I haven't ridden both but I suspect you have.

Any thoughts?

Sitting in the pilot's seat on a goldwing there are 52 buttons to choose from. It has stereo, sat nav, heated seats, CB radio, and a remote control 'trunk' eg.

The R3 has none of that.

They are both excellent to ride and throw around.

Suggest it's a matter of where your priorities lie.

Opulent luxury or torque.

Fatjim
21st September 2008, 17:29

Every straight guy is quick on a goldwing. 50,000 queers chasing you on theirs is big incentive.

Big Dave
21st September 2008, 17:43
Every straight guy is quick on a goldwing. 50,000 queers chasing you on theirs is big incentive.

It's the 'Grandpa's bike' thing that is more frustrating.

Forest
21st September 2008, 23:07
Sitting in the pilot's seat on a goldwing there are 52 buttons to choose from. It has stereo, sat nav, heated seats, CB radio, and a remote control 'trunk' eg.

The R3 has none of that.

They are both excellent to ride and throw around.

Suggest it's a matter of where your priorities lie.

Opulent luxury or torque.

Thanks - but I meant the 1997-2003 Valkyrie cruisers, rather than the full-dress Goldwings.

Big Dave
21st September 2008, 23:09
Thanks - but I meant the 1997-2003 Valkyrie cruisers, rather than the full-dress Goldwings.

Only one I've ridden is the Rune and I loved it. Would buy one tomorrow except for the matter of 40 large.

Forest
21st September 2008, 23:29
Only one I've ridden is the Rune and I loved it. Would buy one tomorrow except for the matter of 40 large.

I'd love a Rune also, But I missed my chance to get one out of the US before the NZD dropped.

Big Dave
21st September 2008, 23:55
Honda landed 5 for retail sale in NZ not long ago.

Horse
22nd September 2008, 00:01
There's one currently sitting at City Honda here in Palmy.

Forest
22nd September 2008, 14:39
Honda landed 5 for retail sale in NZ not long ago.

Thanks. What's the deal they're offering on them?

Factory warranty and dealer support?

Big Dave
22nd September 2008, 14:43
Thanks. What's the deal they're offering on them?

Factory warranty and dealer support?

Std dealer supply I'm guessing. Ping horse's dealer in Palmy for hard facts would be best bet.

Hinny
23rd September 2008, 07:03
I see the Honda was also picked as the best by three riders.
Makes me laugh reading that yet again a n Honda is marked down for being too good. Too seamless, too quiet.
Does one need to be a bit of a masochist to ride a cruiser?

Big Dave
23rd September 2008, 09:35
I see the Honda was also picked as the best by three riders.
Makes me laugh reading that yet again a n Honda is marked down for being too good. Too seamless, too quiet.
Does one need to be a bit of a masochist to ride a cruiser?

Actually - I didn't rate the Honda (tested the cruiser version) that higly because it was more on the 'lumbering truck and klunky gearbox' end of things. It was less 'refined' than the Harley.

Hailwood
7th November 2008, 13:04
Well finally decided to ride one of these...first impression when you sit on it..holy mother of god this thing is big and wide. Very quiet engine when running and easy clutch to use.

Once underway the beast becomes quite light (well as light as a bohemoth can be) and is super comfy in the pilot seat. It has been said before but it needs two gears only, first to get moving and then top as this thing will pull away in any gear smoothly.

Cornering was a surprise. I guess the 180 rear now makes it handle better and it seems to be on rails as you roll on and off the throttle..nice ground clearance as well with the footboards.

Very smooth and decptive..looking down at the speedo a few times resulting in application of brakes to ensure licence remained in my pocket.

The hard bags seem to hold a fair amount and the detachable fairing does a good job of deflecting wind over your head.

Overall a very nice bike to ride, very smooth with so much available power everywhere.

Would I buy one? I do have to admit I love the sound and feel of a V Twin and I did miss hearing the engine as I rode the Rocket. I think the Rocket is not for me not because of any flaws in the bike but more because I, as a rider, would not be able to fully use the Rocket to her full potential and therefore it is wasted on me.

If you get the chance to ride one...DO IT.....