PDA

View Full Version : Anybody own a CJ750?

Flip
22nd September 2008, 11:06
Does anybody out there own a CJ750? I'm thinking about getting one just as a fun combo. I'm an engineer and I have other vintage vehicles im mostly interested in your experiences with the suppliers and LTSA.

xwhatsit
22nd September 2008, 11:45
I've done a little bit of research about it, to see how affordable it might be once I finish uni. The guys at http://www.cj750.net/ seem to have a good reputation on a few different forums, and have exported to NZ before. They're really enthusiastic about the bikes, have regular Chang Jiang rides and sell parts too. They also do LHS sidecar conversions too, and have all the goodies to upgrade the engines (the six volt sidevalve engine is particularly prone to overheating, there's an OHC engine and twelve volt versions as well; the other thing that stops overheating is proper carburettion, they sell new jetted carbs pretty cheaply as an upgrade as well).

I've only seen a couple on Trademe ever.

Flip
22nd September 2008, 13:49
Before I shell out $7.8k to a chineese company I want to know that they are on the straight and level. The LH side car, 12v electrics, modern pistons and better carbs are just necessary these days. I do however like the idear of the side valve motor. However there is still the comfort of actually speaking to some one in NZ who says these folk are good to deal with.

xwhatsit
22nd September 2008, 16:19
Before I shell out $7.8k to a chineese company I want to know that they are on the straight and level. The LH side car, 12v electrics, modern pistons and better carbs are just necessary these days. I do however like the idear of the side valve motor. However there is still the comfort of actually speaking to some one in NZ who says these folk are good to deal with.
They said that they've exported bikes to NZ on the website, so I dunno, maybe if you email them and ask them if they could contact a couple of their previous clients in NZ for you and ask if they'd be interested in talking to you.

Kiwibiker is probably the wrong place -- there's a couple of (fairly quiet) forums dedicated to the Chang Jiang, might want to ask around there.

avgas
22nd September 2008, 16:35
I've seen a few of the older ones (like 90's - but looks like 50's) in the underground workshops of shanghai (shanghai has 150cc limit).
look good - but i never saw one running so i don't know what that means?
Would hate to make a mechanic out of you instead of a rider.

Motu
22nd September 2008, 18:57
Would hate to make a mechanic out of you instead of a rider.

I think he's got that well covered.

I've had my eye on them for some time too - I'd love another sidevalve,that is not 50 years old.They require a lot of remedial work,as you are aware of - replacement spokes is required before they go on the road I hear.There is one on TradeMe now.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-177747325.htm

The best one I have seen,and saw on tradeMe not long ago - it was fitted with a BMW engine,maybe an R80,but that's not important.It was a bolt in,just redrill a couple of bellhousing bolts.He also fitted an Indian sidecar.It was a very impressive outfit.

xwhatsit
23rd September 2008, 11:13
The best one I have seen,and saw on tradeMe not long ago - it was fitted with a BMW engine,maybe an R80,but that's not important.It was a bolt in,just redrill a couple of bellhousing bolts.He also fitted an Indian sidecar.It was a very impressive outfit.
I think half the appeal of a CJ750 (especially the original sidevalve version) is the 22hp of slugging goodness. Just have to stop on the side of the road every so often and let the pistons cool down :crazy:

Motu
23rd September 2008, 20:08
My main concern with them is that their top speed is below the speed limit,and cruising speed even below that.So not really usable on any main roads,a back road only bike....and it'd take weeks to do a trip that should take a few days.

Gave you been following Mr Cob's trip around the US on a Ural? He's nearly finished now,but I've been following the thread even before he set out.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354338

xwhatsit
24th September 2008, 00:16
Excellent! Thanks for that link, you just kept me busy for half an hour when I should've been studying :D

Fair enough re: cruising speed. There's always the stock OHC engine, but, well, 32hp isn't much better!

The Urals look bananas but they don't do a 2WD left hand sidecar. You can ride a right hand sidecar here but I can't see a passenger wanting to jump in the chair!

CJ750
29th September 2008, 19:11
Hi there, I have just bought a CJ750 sidecar in from China. I am going through the registration process this week. I will answer any questions you have. Cheers Murray

CJ750
29th September 2008, 19:16
I have just bought one in from China. I will answer any questions you have.:buggerd: Cheers Murray

xwhatsit
29th September 2008, 22:05
Thanks for the message CJ750, it says you've disabled receiving messages though so I couldn't send one back. Did you contact Flip too?

I don't finish uni for another 6 months (taking my time :laugh:) so I won't be after one of these yet, but I still have a question right now -- got any photos of the beast? :D

Ixion
29th September 2008, 22:09
I think Motu is right., They are inadequate for todays conditions, it would be frustrating finding opportunities to ride one. Much though I like sidevalves.

Why on earth does not one of the manufacturers put out a decent sporting side valve.

xwhatsit
29th September 2008, 22:14
I think Motu is right., They are inadequate for todays conditions, it would be frustrating finding opportunities to ride one. Much though I like sidevalves.
Really? I'm surprised to hear you, of all people, talking like this. I found an A100 went more than fast enough for me to have fun. And I think one could have a great deal of fun simply riding to work in 50kph areas, 70kph back-roads (like around the back of the airport). I know there's a hell of a lot of weight, but there'd still be plenty of grunt for heading down gravel roads.

What's so nice about a side-valve, apart from the masses of torque?

Ixion
29th September 2008, 22:23
They woofle. Actually they don't necessarily have such a lot of torque. It's more the way they put it out. A side valve goes faster as it goes slower. You rev them up to slow down.

I think there is a difference between a little slow bike , like the A100 or F50, and a big heavy bike that is too slow to maintain its way on the roads.

The BMW (and thus CJ) was designed as a long(ish) distance tourer. That is where it would be most pleasant. But, in Auckland, to get anywhere where it would be 'in its element' would necessarily involve a significant distance on busy high speed roads.

If I lived in the more rural parts of the South Island (or similar) I would probably be of a different opinion. But Auckland main roads, on a machine with a top speed of maybe 75kph is just too dodgy.

xwhatsit
29th September 2008, 23:11
I think there is a difference between a little slow bike , like the A100 or F50, and a big heavy bike that is too slow to maintain its way on the roads.
Fair enough. Still, I think I could set off from Mangere Bridge heading south, skirt around the airport back roads, then make my way around through Great South Rd (not that pleasant I suppose). Eventually onto SH22; there the biggest danger would be some Gixxer thou rider riding up your arse, knee down through a hairpin.

The OHC (which, after viewing CJ750's profile, they have got) can supposedly do near 100kph alright, would be much more practical. If slightly less awesome.

PirateJafa
30th September 2008, 00:12
then make my way around through Great South Rd (not that pleasant I suppose).

Especially considering the lack of lane-splittage!

Motu
30th September 2008, 16:47
Plenty of quick access to excellent roads from here...which is why a CJ750 or Ural keeps intruding into my want list.But why do they want so much for bikes nobody wants?

The BMW engines,like the VW,were designed for high speed continuous cruising at their maximum rpm - but I think you would be into melt down conditions if you tried it on a CJ750.The Ural is stretched enough at that pace.My VW powered Ural was actually slower than a standard Ural,as the VW only revved to 3600rpm,and the Ural to 6500rpm.So 100kph was over revving it considerably....but it could do it all day.Top gear wheelspin in corners was worth it though.....

I must of been sleeping,as I don't know about the OHC CJ - post a link Whatsit so I don't have to think for myself.

Ixion
30th September 2008, 17:04
I remember when that shop on the corner of Franklin Rd and Ponsonby rd was selling Urals (and the other Russian bikes), they were really cheap compared with other bikes. Like maybe half as much. About the same difference as Skodas back then. The price was tempting, I think they sold quite a few.

Motu
30th September 2008, 17:40
That was Fullertons (big in speedway for many years).They were taking the chairs off and selling them as solos....but they still had sidecar gearing,so were an underwhelming ride.They were well under $1,000 from memory....$650 rings a bell,but not that cheap surely?

Did you ever rummage around upstairs....bike parts in all the rooms.I gotta laugh when I go past that building - have the latest resident got any idea what it was like 30 years ago?

Ixion
30th September 2008, 17:46
Oddly enough, thirty years before *that* it was Stan Ferguson's grocery store! We lived in Wood St then so my mother went there every day (as mothers did back then!). It always gave be a bit of a WTF seeing it as a bike shop. Stan used to live over the shop (as grocers did back the n) , those upstairs rooms were their living quarters.

Could have been $650. They were *really* cheap. I think the government did some sort of trade deal with Russia, and there was a load of really cheap Russian stuff around. In fact $650 sounds rather pricey, I have a vague memory nearer 300, but that might have been pounds.

CJ750
30th September 2008, 19:09
I cant seem to reply to your message so I'll answer your questions here.I got it from Bill Eng. It is one of his premium restorations with alloy rims with road tyres, all aluminium is polished including engine ,gearbox,and rear drive, and heaps of chrome bits.It is the 32hp OHV model. I think I put a photo on my profile.
I am taking it to the road nazis on thursday for vin/reg. I will let you know how I get on. When I got it home I spent a couple of days going over it and did some finishing work. I got a battery and some gas, the first spark fired the engine and it just ticked away. The engine needs 2000k's to run it in so I dont know how fast it will go yet.I have ridden speedway sidecars, road racing sidecars at big speeds and I tell ya 50k's an hour on the old vintage CJ is just so cool. And top that off with reverse gear for backing out of a parking space, just awesome. It started to show little rust spots in some inner seams within weeks of having it,that were easy fixed with rust kill .Some chrome has lifted but I just dont give a shit. I have made aquaintances with a kiwi in beijing who owns one and a guy on Waiheke Island. All bikes were from the same guy. Both of their bikes have had engine work but as both owners are not spanner savvy types I will be doing my own work. I am an engineering tutor. To own a CJ ,some mechanical knowledge is needed.If you want a cool old sidecar and are prepared to love it and work on it yourself ,this is certainly the way to go.

Kickaha
1st October 2008, 07:12
.I have ridden speedway sidecars, road racing sidecars at big speeds

I am an engineering tutor. .

Is that Murray?

Flip
1st October 2008, 08:38
Thanks CJ

How long did the shipping take to get it here?

I have some experience with vintage side valve racing cars, and I am an engineer. It will be my first combination. After owning an Austin 7 for 20 years the lack of speed doesent bother me too much, I am confident I can tweek a few more easy HP from any vintage SV motor.

Flip

xwhatsit
1st October 2008, 10:02
I must of been sleeping,as I don't know about the OHC CJ - post a link Whatsit so I don't have to think for myself.
Sorry, false alarm, it's just an OHV, like in the pictures Flip posted.

It's a later engine design, perhaps by the Chinese themselves. Remember these bikes and plans and tooling were brought over from the USSR (USSR got the plans for the BMW R71 about 1938 or so when Germany and USSR had a treaty of sorts -- Russians named it the M72) solely for the purpose of the People's Liberation Army (early 50s, start manufacturing them by 1957).

Meanwhile, USSR carried on developing the bikes; made a 2WD bike with reverse gear, OHV etc. which borrowed heavily from the BMW R75 (a much more advanced WWII outfit). The Urals are descended from these bikes, probably why they cost much more.

In 1985 or thereabouts, the Chinese asked Russia nicely if they could have their OHV design. Never completely replaced it of course, the PLA's a mess.

OHVs are 12 volts as well.

Several sources report being able to cruise with relative relaxation at 100kph with the OHV engine. Top speed maybe 130kph+.

CJ750
1st October 2008, 20:26
Yeah right...... You would need BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG kahunas my freind. I have seen that big gears are available on some web sites for the drive. That will definitely give them a better top speed. The motors are standard with tiny carbs and little outlets in the exhaust. They are able to breathe as hard as an asthmatic jogger. They could be easily tidied up inside and made better with a port job, a better cam , weld the crank, some 40mm pumper carbs and an exhaust system off a Duc. They have a pressed crank and I dont know how much extra boogie it would take to spin the journals and twist the crank, so welding is a must. It worked on a lot of speedway engines. So , after the engine is turned into a 45HP monster and hopefully it wont need a cluth from APE, there is the almost roman designed brakes to consider. All mechanically operated and only any good when bedded in properly.I have an idea of how to fit little wheel cylinders inside the drum to make hydraulic and have them stop faster. I would love to ride it in the parade lap around Wanganui on boxing day, (I hope you're readin Dave,):drinkup:
The cost of the outfit will really depend on how the exchange rate is on the day of payment as you pay for them with an international bank transfer in $US dollars. I will say that when I paid my deposit I did wonder if I was making a mistake by taking such a risk but now I can assure anyone that if you deal with the guy that I did , and the two other guys I know of, then the bike that you order ,will arrive.

CJ750
1st October 2008, 20:47
I ordered it in early march and had it in my barn on the 22nd of August. A little over 5 months. I have heard of a guy who bought one that was already built and it took him 9 months to get it. Towards the end of my bike being finished ,the dealer had to move his workshop because the Olympic circus was comin to town, so I may have had it sooner. The finishing was lacking some basic things like no grommets through guards etc for wires to pass through in a couple of places. Some little bits of chrome have lifted and some seams on the sidecar have had little paint touch ups already but it really doesnt matter. If something breaks I will fix it or make a new tougher one.
Bill Eng of Zhangs Motor Works in Beijing built my bike and if you check out the feedback on several CJ750 sites you will see that his motto is "No Bullshit" and that seems to be true. Another owner in NZ had the unfortunate happen and his engine shit itself at 1000km's and Bill sent him a big box of engine bits to fix it. There was far more parts in the box than was needed for the repair. I spoke to Bill once breifly by phone and I thought I was talking to an American. It turns out, I was told,that he spent a lot of time in the US and speaks perfect english. It seems to be why a lot of us deal with him,China is dodgy enough without having the language barrier to deal with as well .

xwhatsit
1st October 2008, 22:24
Zhang's Motor Works is the place I posted up earlier that seemed to have a good reputation. So for the original poster, here's somebody in NZ who's bought from them lol.

Of course you've probably barely run it in so far (did they put fresh pistons etc. in?) but I'd be interested to know if it'll do 100kph comfortably.

Flip
6th October 2008, 08:22
CJ. Hows the rego process going?

MSTRS
6th October 2008, 08:52
There may be one of these in OngaOnga, Hawkes Bay. The owner died a few months ago, but the bike may just be in the shed...
I could find out if you lot are interested?

CJ750
10th October 2008, 18:26
Hi Flip. My CJ is registered and legal.The process has its hiccups but the most important is the fact that the tyres and lights had no standards on them. Luckily for me my bike is listed on the chinese paperwork(more details of that in a phone call,not a public arena such as this)my bike is a 1958 model which meant that pre 1959 not of that beauraucratic bullshit mattered.I will talk to VINZ next week to find out how to get around the problems.
My phone number if you want to talk to me is 09 4315210.

CJ750
10th October 2008, 18:30
I would love to hear about the CJ in the shed in Hawkes bay.:2thumbsup

Voltaire
12th October 2008, 14:46
I bought a well used one on TM a few years ago, has some Chinese docs saying 1959, turned out to be a mix of years.
Vinning place initially said no as front brake did not meet current conditions and manufacturer would not supply info.....but a " 59" is well over 20 years and that changes everything.
He was not sure of the LHD chair but said if it was not fitted it should be ok.
Got it vinned and put chair back on it.
Fun to ride, you would have to mechanically indifferent to ride it over 50 MPH.
Despite low CR, kickstart had a nasty bite....ouch. It also had electric.
VW Kombi/early Golf headlight fitted in the pod as original had no numbers.
As said before, original BMW design is good for 1937 but build quality is what you would expect....I doubt if they were ever intended as an export model.
novelty wore off fairly quickly, not a patch on my BMW R75/5 with Watsonian GP ( no reverse but don't need it).
The RHD chair would 'handle' better on our roads but saying that I rode my BMW in Europe and apart from being more of a handful it was ok...ish.
Good luck and have fun.