PDA

View Full Version : Why does no one talk to me?

captain_andrey
22nd September 2008, 16:47
Is it common for sales people in bike shops to completely ignore you? I get my full in a few weeks and I am planning on getting a brand new 600cc supersport. So I decided to visit some dealers, have a look at the bikes in flesh rather then the photos I've been looking at.
Is there some secret hand shake or something that I have to perform to get any attention? I was often the only customer in the shop and still no one would approach me or even look my way.
The longest conversation I had with the sales person:
me, pointing at an R6: is that the 08 model?
salesperson: yep
What gives?
Can someone please help me spend the $15k+ that is burning a hole in my pocket?

martybabe
22nd September 2008, 16:55
Is it common for sales people in bike shops to completely ignore you? I get my full in a few weeks and I am planning on getting a brand new 600cc supersport. So I decided to visit some dealers, have a look at the bikes in flesh rather then the photos I've been looking at.
Is there some secret hand shake or something that I have to perform to get any attention? I was often the only customer in the shop and still no one would approach me or even look my way.
What gives?

No you ain't the only one Cap'n, there's quite a few threads about it, I have no idea what their problem is but unfortunately it do exist. :nono:

caesius
Sit on one of the bikes and start making hooning sounds - get really into it for at least 15 mintues. If the whole sales team isn't out looking at you by then you're doing something wrong.

<G>
Add being a woman to that scenario...

Badjelly
22nd September 2008, 16:56
How hard is it to say hello? (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=78051)

NZsarge
22nd September 2008, 16:58
Piss poor to be sure, I went down to TSS in the Hutt before it became TSS Redbaron and could'nt have asked for a nicer bloke to deal with, came away for the shop thinking fark, i'll go back there anytime.

spookytooth
22nd September 2008, 17:01
never seem to have that problem in Tga maybe you should move :)

Colapop
22nd September 2008, 17:03
Give this turkey a bell. He'll give give you test rides on near about anything in the shop and get one of the lads to make you a coffee.

Pete McDonald (Crasherfromwayback - KB name)

Phone - 8010725
Email Address - pmcdonald@wmcc.co.nz

Nope, I don't get commission. Pete's a good c*nt and he'll see you right is all. Ask around others here will tell ya that.

ManDownUnder
22nd September 2008, 17:08
Give this turkey a bell. He'll give give you test rides on near about anything in the shop and get one of the lads to make you a coffee.

Pete McDonald (Crasherfromwayback - KB name)

Phone - 8010725
Email Address - pmcdonald@wmcc.co.nz

Nope, I don't get commission. Pete's a good c*nt and he'll see you right is all. Ask around others here will tell ya that.

Ditto that!

Pussy
22nd September 2008, 17:09
I agree with Col. Pete will give you his attention, but not unwanted attention. He is a good bastard, who unfortunately makes coffee of dubious quality. I have found through personal experience that test rides are NOT negotiable with Pete.... they're bloody compulsory!
He's the bloke who deserves your custom. And, no, I'm not on commission either, though I do hope this prompts WMCC to get better coffee

captain_andrey
22nd September 2008, 17:25
Alright, good to know its not just me. I will do another walk around once I actually get my full so I will be in a position to take that test ride.
I've had ok experience with TSS in the past and that would be my first choice, but they just dont have the bikes that I am interested in - daytona 675, zx6r, cbr600rr. I thought WMCC only did harleys and suzuki? Again, not what I want.

portokiwi
22nd September 2008, 17:34
:hug: I allways take my lady in...She allways gets asked if she needs help looking at the bikes:lol: Then she points to me who no one talks to and says he is the one looking.
I have had no problems at Mt Eden motorcycles and Dirt & scooters the staff there are great, Dirt and scooters even have a caffe bar:2thumbsup

Colapop
22nd September 2008, 17:37
WMCC got allsorts. They aren't dealers in some of them but if you tell Pete what you're after he'll point you in the right direction. As he says, he's never sold a bike in his life - but plenty of people have bought one from him!

Coyote
22nd September 2008, 17:54
Add being a woman to that scenario...
Yep, everyone is equally ignored.

Matt_TG
22nd September 2008, 17:56
I've got the other problem. I am day dreaming about bikes and they seem hell bent on getting me to "take one for a spin" or "have it all afternoon". I don't have a bean to spend on bikes at the moment but obviously look like I do lol. Come shopping with me, I'll spend your cash :)

Radar
22nd September 2008, 18:11
captain_andrey - Its easy. Just front up to the sales person of your choice and tell them outright that you are getting your full in a few weeks, have $15k to spend, and you need some info on their bikes. They should stick to you like glue but if its a crap shop and they couldn't give a stuff, simply walk out and go elsewhere (and if you want to feel better, let them know why you are leaving and where you are going).

In other words, don't fall into the victim role. Be assertive. Why don't they pay attention to you in the first place? Maybe you are too young, too old, too bald, too hairy, whatever, or maybe the sales guy is tired from the last 8 people who were complete time wasters. Just go past it and take action.

Sometimes I don't want sales staff to bug me so I don't look at them and try to look like a 'time waster'. At other times I put on my Ulysses Club hat and tell them how much I have to spend and when I want the bike - and they treat me appropriately.

BTW, I wish I could part with $15k for a new bike!

LardEmbargo
22nd September 2008, 18:27
No, I don't think it's just you either.

I mean, unless maybe you actually are invisible or something, I don't know.

I struggled to get noticed when I was trying to get into bikes, I struggled to get noticed trying to buy gear, I'm looking forward to struggling with it when I (finally) get round to upgrading and stuff.

I know they must get a huge number of like annoying pimply tyre-kickers but it's kind of annoying when you arrive with Giant Cash Wodgezilla in your back pocket and just need pointing at something suitably shiny.

Some bike emporia definitely seem worse than others, some are generally better, but they all seem a bit patchy to be honest. Apart from one particular example the inconsistent thing's a pain, but so far at least it's meant that if I go back and try again there's a chance it'll work out better next time.

Stick at it, anyway, there's some good guys around it seems just sometimes you have to wander in at the right time.

klyong82
22nd September 2008, 18:47
No problem with the various shops in Auckland I have been into. Most of them will start asking me about my bike and what I have done to it mods etc...never had issues with test rides...I know one shop who always let me take any of their bikes back for a weekend if I was thinking of buying it.

But I think if you are looking for a bike then let the sales person know what you are after...they will try to sell you something then...I just do my part by asking them for a good price and a whole load of stuff bundled into the deal.

edit: I also think it is depends on what you ride....I think if you rock up in a late model 1000cc would definitely catch their attention.

edit 2: captain_andery you can buy my Fireblade for $15k

P38
22nd September 2008, 18:49
What gives?

Dont take it personally mate.

They bloody ignore everone.

Thats why I buy over the net.... their loss my gain :apint:

McJim
22nd September 2008, 19:57
There are some bloody lucky buggers on this thread - when I walk into a bike shop they won't STOP trying to sell me stuff- it's a real pain.

I will buy a bike when I want to buy a bike. It will be of my own choosing and the shop assistant will not affect my decision one iota!

's prolly coz you ride a Hyosung. If you believe some of the threads on here Hyosungs are the absolute shizzle so why would anyone buy anything else after riding a Hyosung?:rofl:

Seriously though it's a dilemma of salespeople the world over. "If I approach the customer will they feel pressured and fuck off - if I leave the customer alone will they feel neglected and shop elsewhere?" Damned if they do and damned if they don't. As I've pointed out I would be more than happy to receive the treatement you complain about and you would be happy to receive treatment that I would complain about.

325rocket
22nd September 2008, 19:59
im in exactly the same position (time and budget) and have been hitting the bike shops pretty hard lately. i have to say ALL four of the bigger shops around wellington have been fantastic. when i first got my license and went into shops i found i was ignored but now its all good. maybe its a confidence thing, ive got to that point where it really doesn't bother me to admit im not 100% sure what im after or that i dont really have a fuckin clue what im talking about.

maybe it would help if we shopped together and had a budget of 30k haha

btw ... the coffee at WMCC isnt that bad!

keep yours eyes off the CBR600rr out the hutt!!!

Str8 Jacket
22nd September 2008, 20:01
keep yours eyes off the CBR600rr out the hutt!!!

It's reaal purdy, eh! ;)

PrincessBandit
22nd September 2008, 20:04

When did you last have a shower? :whistle: (only kidding!!!)

captain_andrey - Its easy. Just front up to the sales person of your choice and tell them outright that you are getting your full in a few weeks, have $15k to spend, and you need some info on their bikes. ..
In other words, don't fall into the victim role. Be assertive.

Pretty much wot he sed. Don't be afraid to make the first move; salespeople often get flack from "not enough customer attention - to - being a complete klingon" and not much in between. But yeah, a simple "need any help there mate?" (then hanging round for a bit to check) should be easy enough. What I hate is when they consider yakking to another staff member or reading a mag more important than seeing if a potential $ spender needs help. From experience it is always best NOT to assume that every second person who comes in is just a "tyre kicker".

325rocket
22nd September 2008, 20:07
It's reaal purdy, eh! ;)

oh it's reeaaaal purdy

Pickle
22nd September 2008, 20:08
Do what we did, go to Palmerston North & see Bruce at AFC then after purchasing your bike come back to Wellington & park it outside of the dealer of that brand, go into the shop waste time & if they pay any attention to you then simply tell them they are too late & walk out.
Or go to AFC & buy one of our ZX636's that are for sale up there, better road bike than the latest crop of sports bikes.

jtzzr
22nd September 2008, 20:18

If kbers all went in together and we had a budget of 30k , we would end up with some real crappy bikes.

I do see your point though.

Jerry74
22nd September 2008, 20:20
Ask to see the manager and complain that the staff are idle and you want some service

captain_andrey
22nd September 2008, 22:33
It just saddens me that I have to convince the sales people that I am a potential customer. Even if I was just a tire kicker, its their job to make me feel welcome. People window shop for bikes just like everything else. Even though they cant afford it right now, you never know whats going to happen the next day.

I was in a BMW showroom in Munich last year, drooling over the new M3. I was greeted at the door and then let loose in the showroom. Once I started oggling the M3, one of the sales guys approached me with a glass of bubbly and asked me if I wanted to sit inside. Made some small talk about Formula 1 etc. When I was leaving, he shook my hand and thanked me for coming in.

No I dont expect the same from a Wellington bike shop, but a simple Hello would be freaking awesome.

Sigh, I guess I will have to try harder next time since we are kinda stuck with the shops we have

Ducky848
22nd September 2008, 22:47
Is it common for sales people in bike shops to completely ignore you? The longest conversation I had with the sales person:

They get a shit load of ppl 'kicking tyres' and are piss poor at spotting genuine buyers from dreamers. Explain you really do have $15k burning a hole in your pocket and you'll get plenty of action.

This works even with Casbolts :niceone:

One thing that REALLY pisses me off (this goes for any shop not just bikes) is a salesperson who stops the conversation with you to answer the phone and then proceed to discuss why they dont carry a crank for a 1984 RG250 in stock. Its just plain rude and I vote with my feet and wallet.

martybabe
22nd September 2008, 22:52

SIZE]

That's a very sound idea, If ya get together with the Captain, find a shop that sells both the bikes your interested in, I'm sure you could do a very tasty deal in your favour. There's nearly always room for maneuver on price and with a double order, every ones happy. :apint:

Jerry74
22nd September 2008, 23:11
They get a shit load of ppl 'kicking tyres' and are piss poor at spotting genuine buyers from dreamers. Explain you really do have $15k burning a hole in your pocket and you'll get plenty of action.

This works even with Casbolts :niceone:

One thing that REALLY pisses me off (this goes for any shop not just bikes) is a salesperson who stops the conversation with you to answer the phone and then proceed to discuss why they dont carry a crank for a 1984 RG250 in stock. Its just plain rude and I vote with my feet and wallet.

Does anything work with Casbolts???? lol

The few times I have been there I was ignored even when asking them about the Ducatis in stock...

They are a bit overpriced there too.... Go to Hamptons and you will be pleasantly surprised when someone actually takes the time to chat...

Casbolts can go get f..ked :buggerd::2guns::spanking::finger:

Rude pricks

Bren
23rd September 2008, 03:43
No I dont expect the same from a Wellington bike shop, but a simple Hello would be freaking awesome.

Sigh, I guess I will have to try harder next time since we are kinda stuck with the shops we have

Hey, New Zealand customer service sucks full stop...it's so sloppy...Thats where we let ourselves down as far as the tourists are concerned...Common courtesy is a rare thing in NZ

Does anything work with Casbolts???? lol

Casbolts can go get f..ked :buggerd::2guns::spanking::finger:

Rude pricks

My sentiments exactly....and they have not changed...even when they were on Worcester St it was the same thing...and thats going back 20 years...Rolling Thunder or as they were Eric Wood used to be good...but unless you dress like a Harley rider they ignore ya now...

marioc
23rd September 2008, 06:59
Mate tell Glen at motorad you have 15k burning a hole in your pocket he will help you!

Jerry74
23rd September 2008, 10:08
Hey, New Zealand customer service sucks full stop...it's so sloppy...Thats where we let ourselves down as far as the tourists are concerned...Common courtesy is a rare thing in NZ

My sentiments exactly....and they have not changed...even when they were on Worcester St it was the same thing...and thats going back 20 years...Rolling Thunder or as they were Eric Wood used to be good...but unless you dress like a Harley rider they ignore ya now...

Sportszone, Trevor Pierce or Street and Sport are pretty good guys to deal with

Katman
23rd September 2008, 10:14
Seriously though it's a dilemma of salespeople the world over. "If I approach the customer will they feel pressured and fuck off - if I leave the customer alone will they feel neglected and shop elsewhere?" Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I can't imagine anyone would be annoyed if they got a "Hi there, give me a yell if there's anything I can help you with".

I think most people, when they enter a bike shop, at least like to be acknowledged.

325rocket
23rd September 2008, 10:29
Explain you really do have $15k burning a hole in your pocket and you'll get plenty of action.

Mate tell Glen at motorad you have 15k burning a hole in your pocket he will help you!

Thats the problem rite there. You shouldn’t have to open a case of cash to prove you are a serious buyer.
Someone else said it before, you might be a tyre kicker now but what about in 2 months? What if your bike is stolen / crashed / sold? Hey and don’t forget that “fix all” Lotto … it could happen.
As I said earlier i found all the local bike shops to be bloody good lately but I have narrowed it down to two.
One thing I do hate is when (sales) people only see you as $$$’s. its not hard to tell when they are thinking “what can I get out of this”.
Some of the most successful sales people I know are the most down to earth “real” people you could meet. They all say treat people like people (not money in the bank) and the sale will come.

xwhatsit
23rd September 2008, 11:23
I was in a BMW showroom in Munich last year, drooling.... Once I started oggling... one of the sales guys approached me with a glass of bubbly and asked me if I wanted to sit inside. Made some small talk ... When I was leaving, he shook my hand and thanked me for coming...
Blimey, I knew the BMW riders were a bit ghey, but I didn't know the car guys had the same problem! I suppose they are big, butch and German :niceone:

huck farley
23rd September 2008, 11:40
I've never ever had a problem raising a sales rep in any shop let alone a bike shop. They are normally all over me like a bag o fleas, when I go into a bike shop.

Sales reps today are not as aggressive as they were say in the 70,s & 80,s nowadays it's can I help you at all sir... Not today I reply and of they trot, simple as that. I think if they were on a commission only contract with the employer. The rep would have to get a bit keener. But today they are on a reasonable retainer from what I am told.

mstriumph
23rd September 2008, 12:19
........ I was often the only customer in the shop and still no one would approach me or even look my way.

thought this was a prob only experienced with gal riders ..... :confused:

........ The longest conversation I had with the sales person:
..................... but since you seem to be having similar problems, i'll give you a gal tip .... the above 'yep' answer should have been followed up by you saying
"so TELL me about it ..............."

if that didn't do the trick "how many have you sold?"
followed by "not likely to sell another one, are you, if you don't know your stock .........at least, NOT to ME"

then smile and walk out, swinging your hips lazily

- oh - erm - since you are a bloke, mebbe forget about the hips bit, eh? :o

Phils Motorcycles
23rd September 2008, 12:56
Is it common for sales people in bike shops to completely ignore you?

They probably too busy watchin '2 girls 1 cup' on work PC :D

McJim
23rd September 2008, 13:01
I can't imagine anyone would be annoyed if they got a "Hi there, give me a yell if there's anything I can help you with".

I think most people, when they enter a bike shop, at least like to be acknowledged.

It's just unfortunate that they say "Whatever Fuckwit" all the time isn't it? :rofl:

Duke girl
23rd September 2008, 14:27
Maybe you need to pin the money on the outside of your clothing if they are that ignorant towards you?. Can't need the business by the sounds of things.

fireball
23rd September 2008, 14:46
holeshot are pretty good eh

everytime i walk in there its hi kat.... what have you done this time? how bad is it? or, time for a new one.....

mind you i am onto bike number 9 with them :clap:

EJK
23rd September 2008, 14:54
Try being an Asian like myself (Don't forget to wear 4 eyes ofcourse!)
You will be instantly become a Salesman Magnet :niceone:

dipshit
23rd September 2008, 17:48

Yes.......

Pedrostt500
23rd September 2008, 18:38
Captin andrey come out to the hutt and talk to Stu & the Boys at TSS in AliceTown, they know their bikes and are keen about what they do.

discotex
23rd September 2008, 18:50
Hyosungs are the absolute shizzle

Hyobag is out. Hyoshizzle is in

:lol:

Dizzle.

Number One
24th September 2008, 21:02

YUP unfortunately

...Is there some secret hand shake or something that I have to perform to get any attention?

I get my tits out, that tends to get their attention :shutup:

I can help...for $15K I love you LOOOOOOOOONNNNG time :whistle: ;)

Phils Motorcycles
30th September 2008, 10:15
I get my tits out, that tends to get their attention :shutup:
;)

Really......... :eek5: