PDA

View Full Version : Classic sidecars for sale

Club Matrix
22nd September 2008, 20:47
Seems there aren't any on the go in the South Island - anybody selling one or upgrading, or thinking of building a couple? How do you get started?

sidecar bob
22nd September 2008, 21:32
Your best contact here is Markc (Mark Corrigan) A lot of the newly built classics, as in, ones built to the regs out of period parts have been made by John Anderson.
The Have a go day is on 19th October at Taupo, If youre really serious about getting into it then it may be worth the trip.
A good classic would be faster than most of the south island modern outfits anyway.

Kickaha
23rd September 2008, 08:25
A good classic would be faster than most of the south island modern outfits anyway.

Wanker :finger: bastard that he's right though there's also quite a few NI ones that would apply to as well

There's only one outfit that I know of in Chch that is being modified for classic racing and if you're looking at racing down here you'd be out with the "moderns" anyway

Otherwise you'd better be prepared to spend a lot of time travelling to the North Island

The next outing for Sidecars at Ruapuna is probably Oct 19th (if any show up)

sidecar bob
23rd September 2008, 10:23
Youre so predictable mate, How did i know that last comment would find you. :niceone:

Atlas
23rd September 2008, 16:45
http://www.sidecarracing.co.nz/

some good images on the site MarkC maintains. A good number of classic chairs are simply modified road bikes that just keep evolving over time.
An old road bike is a good starting point for building a "sitter".

You could join the SRA as it covers both moderns and classics, the editor of the SRA magazine races a sharp Norton outfit which her husband built.
Be nice to see the SI get some classic rigs going, might make the Burt Munro meeting work for us.

Club Matrix
24th September 2008, 19:48
There's only one outfit that I know of in Chch that is being modified for classic racing and if you're looking at racing down here you'd be out with the "moderns" anyway

Otherwise you'd better be prepared to spend a lot of time travelling to the North Island

The next outing for Sidecars at Ruapuna is probably Oct 19th (if any show up)

Thanks guys, I'll get along to the Ruapuna meet and see if I can find anyone interested in Classics. Regular travel to Taupo won't work (just moved down from the NI).
I saw a few pictures of Guzzi chairs on the web site, does anyone race BMW outfits in NZ?
On some of the US sites there is a big following for XS650 setups - is there any class option to race classic Jap bikes?

Kickaha
24th September 2008, 19:53
Thanks guys, I'll get along to the Ruapuna meet and see if I can find anyone interested in Classics.

I can already tell you that although you might find people interested down here (myself included) no one is likely to bother

I saw a few pictures of Guzzi chairs on the web site, does anyone race BMW outfits in NZ?

Sidecarboob has got a BMW R100 powered outfit

On some of the US sites there is a big following for XS650 setups - is there any class option to race classic Jap bikes?

No Jappas allowed and the XS stuff is getting to be as pricey as the Eurotrash anyway

tri boy
24th September 2008, 20:07
No Jappas allowed and the XS stuff is getting to be as pricey as the Eurotrash anyway

Still can't understand that mentality. (not yours, I know kick).
A 71 Suzi water bucket, in a Windle frame is F**king classic in my books.:headbang:
Might just be one at Taupo Oct19:whistle:

Atlas
24th September 2008, 20:18
Theres only one meeting in the year where Jap sidecars arent welcome and thats the classic festival at Puke in Feb. All other NZCMRR meetings are open to all classic outfits, nothing wrong with the old waterbus's etc. Bring em out.
While the euro classics are well supported the post classic era with jap 2 strokes and in line 4's is poorly supported.
If its got a front exit all the better.

sidecar bob
24th September 2008, 21:19
Still can't understand that mentality. (not yours, I know kick).
A 71 Suzi water bucket, in a Windle frame is F**king classic in my books.:headbang:

I fully agree, Saw a rough '76 Goldwing on trademe today that got me thinking.

Kickaha
24th September 2008, 21:35
Theres only one meeting in the year where Jap sidecars arent welcome and thats the classic festival at Puke in Feb. All other NZCMRR meetings are open to all classic outfits, nothing wrong with the old waterbus's etc. Bring em out.
While the euro classics are well supported the post classic era with jap 2 strokes and in line 4's is poorly supported.

Thanks for clearing that up, I have very rarely seen a Classic Japanese outfit and assumed the "no Jappa's" was across the board

Bryan Wyeth ran his Waterbus powered outfit in the NZ Nationals and I think he got something like 5th overall a few years back

Atlas
25th September 2008, 13:38
http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=hsMDs6Sdx2M

You can source a new replica of "Stentos chair" bare rolling chassis based on the one shown on youtube.
He had one at the last Taupo meeting for sale. Its a proven and successful small wheeled kneeler layout, that should be able to fit a jap 2 stroke multi. He runs unit triumphs himself. I think the complete rolling chassis was 3k? Would save a lot of work and be a good rig. Send me a private message and I'll find his email or ph.

Atlas
25th September 2008, 13:42
http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=0dA--yrYmtY

you'll also find markc taking a rest under an outfit on utube:rolleyes:

hasnt put him off:niceone:

sidecar bob
25th September 2008, 21:35
http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=hsMDs6Sdx2M

You can source a new replica of "Stentos chair" bare rolling chassis based on the one shown on youtube.
He had one at the last Taupo meeting for sale. Its a proven and successful small wheeled kneeler layout, that should be able to fit a jap 2 stroke multi. He runs unit triumphs himself. I think the complete rolling chassis was 3k? Would save a lot of work and be a good rig. Send me a private message and I'll find his email or ph.

Thanks for posting that clip up, Thats the outfit ive been passengering for Stentos daughter Tracey.

Atlas
21st July 2009, 19:01
Made the mistake of mentioning in public I might sell my Outfit and the bloody things gone. Have started building a better looking one, none of that Norton rubbish, a proper BSA this time. But wont be ready before the Feb Festival. There goes my have a go day ride in November. Bugger.
I still have some good Norton twin race motors if anyone's interested. Good sidecar tackle for pre 76 or pre 63. Too many carburettors for me...:doh:

sidecar bob
21st July 2009, 20:37
Hoodie would probably be up for the Norton motors, a couple of motors should get him through a meeting.

BIG DOUG
23rd July 2009, 22:31
that boy needs a rev limiter,or about 8 motors for the year should get him through.

Atlas
19th September 2009, 12:31
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=242671620

there is a big wheeled sitter currently on trade me.

markc
20th September 2009, 06:13
Tim,

Great pic in your Trademe profile ! :-)

Mark

sidecar bob
20th September 2009, 08:38
I still have some good Norton twin race motors if anyone's interested. Good sidecar tackle for pre 76 or pre 63. Too many carburettors for me...:doh:

Are these still avaliable? Might be worth putting it up on the dude's trademe auction if they still are.

Atlas
20th September 2009, 09:40
these engines have gone to a good home in Paihiatua so will be back pulling big wheeled chairs :done: so sadly not for sale any more. The money is going into my 1955 road rocket side car race project.

We're trying to encourage traditional chairs through a development class within the classic side car section based on humble engines to 650cc (covering both pre unit and unit motors), this rolling chassis appears to be suitable for that class. I can provide draft rules for to anyone interested.

rat
15th April 2010, 16:28

Not True, A post classic sidecar was told that can not race with the classics in any of their meetings just recently. No jap bike sidecars was the reply.

Atlas
15th April 2010, 18:46
Not True, A post classic sidecar was told that can not race with the classics in any of their meetings just recently. No jap bike sidecars was the reply.

Please provide me with details...
we regularly race with post classic japa's at both street meetings and NZCMRR events wherever posties are present. The only exceptions I am aware of is the classic festival and perhaps also the labour weekend meeting which may also be a closed meeting. If jap bikes are eligible in solo's they will also be eligible to go out with the chairs.
The only issue really is safety for crews.
I am one of the classic sidecar coordinators and am not aware of any exclusion.

rat
19th April 2010, 17:19
Please provide me with details...
we regularly race with post classic japa's at both street meetings and NZCMRR events wherever posties are present. The only exceptions I am aware of is the classic festival and perhaps also the labour weekend meeting which may also be a closed meeting. If jap bikes are eligible in solo's they will also be eligible to go out with the chairs.
The only issue really is safety for crews.
I am one of the classic sidecar coordinators and am not aware of any exclusion.

Bruce Roberts, who brought the ex- Simon Windlebourne CB1000.
He and his passenger has tried on a few occassions recently , right up to just before Taupo meet last weekend.
Talk to Audrey she was the last one they talked to and to deny them entry.

Atlas
19th April 2010, 18:01
Can you please either PM me his contact details or get him to. I will see what I can do. Email details ideally.
We do prefer to race with front exit postie rigs (if people want to regularly join us) as the technology difference between the rear exit only rigs means we can run into safety issues as the modern style rear exit rigs are able to brake far more dramatically than the old school rigs. However we have made a habit of allowing learners on moderns (rear exit only) out with us to give them track time. We do run them off the back of the grid.

Atlas
21st June 2010, 20:08
Although japanese engined sidecars can still be raced at a number of NZCMRR meetings (but only if front exit), the tragic accident at Paeroa this year (feb2010) has resulted in MNZ banning the mixing of classics (front exit) and moderns (rear exit only rigs) .

Thanks for clearing that up, I have very rarely seen a Classic Japanese outfit and assumed the "no Jappa's" was across the board

Bryan Wyeth ran his Waterbus powered outfit in the NZ Nationals and I think he got something like 5th overall a few years back

Grumph
22nd June 2010, 19:33
Well, that's just stuffed any chances of SI Classic chairs appearing... Unless CAMS are prepared to run a class there's nowhere to run them.

Atlas
23rd June 2010, 12:43
I don't know if this ban is temporary or not, I'm guessing we may hear more by the time the have a go day rolls round. I believe a report into the incident was being written but don't know to what extent the MNZ response was based on it or simply a knee jerk health and safety backside covering exercise.
Mixing old school rigs (with skinny tyres) and more contemporary rigs with wide car racing slicks and disks does require a little common sense to manage the usual risks.

nodrog
22nd October 2014, 16:42
.....A 71 Suzi water bucket, in a Windle frame is F**king classic in my books.:headbang:

I am intrigued, is this outfit still around?

tri boy
25th October 2014, 10:48
I am intrigued, is this outfit still around?

It,s living in Oz at the moment.
My mate hogpacker owns it, and is totally refurbishing it. Unfortunately it isn't finished yet, (his other projects replica RGB grand prix bikes) are swallowing time and coin.
Hopefully all will be ready next year. (he plans to enter the chair and a RGB in two Oz historic meetings and the NZ historic meeting).

nodrog
26th May 2015, 18:12
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/174781-Post-classic-BMW-race-sidecar?p=1130867175#post1130867175