PDA

View Full Version : Going to the dark side...

AlBundy
23rd September 2008, 10:04
Hello, my name is Al and I have a problem...

After riding a KTM 690 SM (see here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=80850), it's been a struggle to ride the DRZ. It's fine for commuting to work and back but I can't get myself to take it out on the open road any more....

I fear I have succumbed to the need for more power.... And a six speed box...

t3mp0r4ry nzr
23rd September 2008, 12:51
so what you really mean is that you wanna sell the drz to me for $5k, right:whistle:

AlBundy
23rd September 2008, 12:58
so what you really mean is that you wanna sell the drz to me for $5k, right:whistle:

I'll sell it to you for that.... It's more than I paid for it, lol....

SeppoDave
23rd September 2008, 15:31
Hi Al...

The first step is admitting that you've put a deposit down on your new bike.

Then you must accept that your Suzuki is not part of the life that you want to lead anymore.

After that, it's just one sweet ride at a time!

AlBundy
23rd September 2008, 15:43
Hi Al...

The first step is admitting that you've put a deposit down on your new bike.

Then you must accept that your Suzuki is not part of the life that you want to lead anymore.

After that, it's just one sweet ride at a time!

Is it enough to admit I've got finance on the 'new' (second hand) bike?

As for the DRZ, we'll see how things pan out, lol...

SeppoDave
23rd September 2008, 16:35
...and the Leo Vince pipes will go a long way to make it look, um, different to how they look stock.

Is that diplomatic?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r235/Stuntdubbel/KTM/CIMG1242.jpg

AlBundy
24th September 2008, 00:05
...and the Leo Vince pipes will go a long way to make it look, um, different to how they look stock.

Is that diplomatic?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r235/Stuntdubbel/KTM/CIMG1242.jpg

Very diplomatic indeed, lol...

To be honest, before I saw one in the flesh, I thought they were really ugly. I still do to some extent. In the flesh they are actually quite a nice machine...

At least it'll match my other twin pipe machine now, lol...

SeppoDave
24th September 2008, 04:18
At least it'll match my other twin pipe machine now

Why, do you own a steamboat?

Just kidding, I actually think it's a great looking bike apart from the pipes. Some have a little fun with the "spy vs spy" front, but I like it.

When do you pick it up?

AlBundy
24th September 2008, 08:10
Why, do you own a steamboat?

Just kidding, I actually think it's a great looking bike apart from the pipes. Some have a little fun with the "spy vs spy" front, but I like it.

When do you pick it up?

With any luck, Friday will be the day.... I'll probably fly there and ride the 450k's home... So I'm keeping an eye on the weather...

Other bike is a wheel barrow...

AlBundy
25th September 2008, 13:51
Looking good for tomorrow.....

The Spy vs Spy bike with truck twin-stack pipes will hopefully be a good-un (touch wood)...

SeppoDave
25th September 2008, 16:27
Cool!

What part of the world are you in? Will you be christening it on Saturday?

AlBundy
25th September 2008, 16:33
Cool!

What part of the world are you in? Will you be christening it on Saturday?

South Island.... Looks like a lot of rain Saturday....

I'm sure the trip home will be christening enough, lol...

AlBundy
25th September 2008, 22:02
Look at this tastey pipe....

SeppoDave
26th September 2008, 04:26
Yeah, way better. Can you get those here?

AlBundy
26th September 2008, 07:25
Don't know. Just saw them and thought I'd post...

I'll probably look into it more with time, considering I'm only picking it up today, lol....

But, the single pipe does look appealing...

scorry
26th September 2008, 07:59
that pipe makes it look even better, looks racier (if thats a word)

Devil
26th September 2008, 15:28
I love the big twin smoke stack exhausts. But I want the Leo's for the 8kg weight loss and more power! Certainly not for the look.
I'm a fan of twin exhaust bikes, but that single one doesn't look too bad.
Did a lot of looking around for exhaust systems, but didn't come across that brand. Where did you find it?

Devil
26th September 2008, 15:33
Look at this tastey pipe....

Shit you've got me interested now...

AlBundy
26th September 2008, 18:41
Shit you've got me interested now...

Sorry, I'd have answered sooner but I've just got in... About 420k's was the trip home... Apart from a howling head wind at one stage, it was a good trip.

Got very good gas mileage too... First stop, 166k's from 7.6l, which is about 21.8k/l. That at 115-120... Indicated. Second stop was also above 20k/l, so she's a good one for fuel (including the howling head wind)...

One thing to possibly do, find a set of bars with a touch more of a sweep to them. My wrists were aching due to the position these put mine in...

Otherwise, a good trip...

Oh yes... Pipes. This is where i saw them....

http://www.sc-project.com/ktm_690_e.htm

PS: You done anything with your number plate hanger Devil? Or anything actually? Lol...

Devil
26th September 2008, 19:09
http://www.sc-project.com/ktm_690_e.htm

PS: You done anything with your number plate hanger Devil? Or anything actually? Lol...

Checked out the website. Hrm. Tempted!

Yer, mine has the accessory touring screen (HUGE difference on the open road, massive). Plus I have the full set of black plastics for it with no decals. So completely black with no writing.

Haven't touched the tail because it does throw plenty of shit around and I do venture onto the gravel. I'm going to leave it there for the moment.

AlBundy
26th September 2008, 19:37
I was thinking of doing the same thing... Black plastics...

They are pretty reasonably priced....

I'm thinking a screen would go down well for longer rides... The bike is certainly a capable mile eater...

Devil
26th September 2008, 21:39
I was thinking of doing the same thing... Black plastics...

They are pretty reasonably priced....

I'm thinking a screen would go down well for longer rides... The bike is certainly a capable mile eater...

Yep, the screen really does make a massive difference on this bike, plus it actually tidy's up the front end a little.
Oh I have the handguards too.
Got the KTM tank bag as well, which is very nice and well made.

Goes in for its 5000km service on Monday. Getting the screen put back on. I bought the orange bike (because of the particular deal on it) then got the plastics seperately. KTM plastic prices are very cheap.

Will get some pics when it comes back from the service.

t3mp0r4ry nzr
27th September 2008, 10:27
so is a drz sm for sale or was it traded?

AlBundy
27th September 2008, 11:03
so is a drz sm for sale or was it traded?

Well, although the bike runs perfctly well, there are a few niggles with it. Something I only found out about after owning the bike for a while and something the previous owner failed to mention...

For a start, it has a minor oil leak. It leaves droplets all over the place.
Then, the front sprocket has had a dodgey repair done. It's been welded on.
The bike also has nearly 25000k's on it.
The engine is noisey but having spoken to various DRZ owners (who have listened to it), most think it might just be a worn piston, due to the miles. That said, it's nowhere near as noisey as a mates WR450, as a point of reference.

Another thing... The bike is actually a Jap import. It has a smaller headlight, similar to the enduro model, as standard. It also comes with a cush drive, something standard ones don't have (I think).

Now, as much as I'd like to sell the bike, I know that I'll not get a lot of money for it as is... I haven't actually had a real god look to see what it would take to repair the sprocket, splines etc...

Unfortunately, my conscience would never let me sell something without being absolutely honest with any prospective purchaser.... So I generally sell things really cheaply...

So, that's about as much info I can supply...

I have no issues with the bike. It goes well and is fun to ride to work etc. I just don't enjoy it on the open road. I could have spent money on it like most others do but the deal on the KTM was just too much to pass over. I'd not even considered the KTM otherwise.

AlBundy
27th September 2008, 12:54
Devil, I've been playing... On the computer.

Was trying to figure out how much of the sexiness of the single can was just cleaning up the tail.....

What do you think about this? Not bad either...

Devil
28th September 2008, 08:43
I got all my stuff through ktm-parts.com and I beleive they have a tail tidy for it which does what you've drawn, except leaves the numberplate at a reasonable angle still.

I've started making room on the credit card for that exhaust :D

Took some photos of the bike, but i'll have to post them when i get home.

AlBundy
28th September 2008, 10:24
Hahahahaha...

Good on ya mate....

I've still got to sort insurance and get into a stable payment routine before I start spending money on it.. I'll be waiting for news on your progress, lol....

KTM do a shed-load of stuff, one could get into financial ruin with them....

Devil
29th September 2008, 16:08
Ok, here's mine, with and without screen.

Devil
29th September 2008, 16:10
The rest...

AlBundy
29th September 2008, 17:05
Wow!

Looks totally different in black, minus the KTM decals... Very stealthy.

The screen and hand-guard combo changes the front appearance heaps. The pic just justifies what you said about heaps better wind protection. I'll be looking for one soon... Mainly for the longer trips.

Thanks for the pics.

PS: Do you know if your power/ECU is on the soft setting?

I started the bike the other day and it said 'soft' where the clock is... Only for a few seconds... Long enough for me to go 'What the?', lol...

Devil
29th September 2008, 17:27
Wow!

Looks totally different in black, minus the KTM decals... Very stealthy.

The screen and hand-guard combo changes the front appearance heaps. The pic just justifies what you said about heaps better wind protection. I'll be looking for one soon... Mainly for the longer trips.

Thanks for the pics.

PS: Do you know if your power/ECU is on the soft setting?

I started the bike the other day and it said 'soft' where the clock is... Only for a few seconds... Long enough for me to go 'What the?', lol...
Yeah, tidies up the front quite a bit. You need to see it in person.

I've been hunting for that ecu setting switching, but I cant find it. I'm wondering if it's not on mine (it's an '07 model, but was new when I bought it, only a couple of months ago). I know the switch is on the R and prestige and the enduro... Unless i'm just looking i the wrong place.

Either way, the shop can load whichever map I want.

Let me go look at the clock now...

AlBundy
30th September 2008, 06:07
Sorry, I should have added that I hadn't seen the 'soft' come up since....

I'll be heading to the KTM dealers during the week to have a chat to them, regarding the map and possibly finding out about others. Maybe soft is for std machines and anything else is for a pipe or filter etc? Will be good to find out...

As far as the switches go, I think they are on the SMR and the 08 models, not on the 07 SM's... The R and Prestige are essentially the same machine... The owners manual doesn't say anything either, so have to assume it doesn't have one...

Devil
30th September 2008, 07:26
Apparently, the switch is for a personal preference thing whether you've got the pipe or not. I can see it makes sense for the enduro, because yuo may want to soften the power delivery if you're on a dodgy surface, but not really on the motard.... unless you're on a dodgy surface...

I've been told anyway, you can just get the latest map put on. I'm not one for fussing around with switches.

There is a seperate map for the full akra exhaust system (which you can use with any full system).

Where are you located anyway?

Gremlin
30th September 2008, 08:59
Looking good Debbil...

Another little boy waits... but he didn't mess up his colours first time around, and his is a bit bigger... :shifty:

Now if the shop would hurry up getting it on the road, and the accessories fitted <_< I mean, its only been 3 sleeps since I did the deal :no:

AlBundy
30th September 2008, 13:15
Seen the Wings pipes?

Someone sent me this link....

http://www.mototoys.com.au/41.html

AlBundy
30th September 2008, 13:18
Looking good Debbil...

Another little boy waits... but he didn't mess up his colours first time around, and his is a bit bigger... :shifty:

Now if the shop would hurry up getting it on the road, and the accessories fitted <_< I mean, its only been 3 sleeps since I did the deal :no:

Cool...

Should be interesting...

Devil
30th September 2008, 13:28
Seen the Wings pipes?

Someone sent me this link....

http://www.mototoys.com.au/41.html

Yer, I had seen the Wings pipes. They look very much like the Akra's, but I really dont like that logo! I asked if they could get them without the logo, but it doesn't look like that would be possible!
Good price though too.

idleidolidyll
30th September 2008, 17:29
get rid of the maggot and buy the ktm; you'll never regret it

idleidolidyll
30th September 2008, 17:40
be careful with an after market can on a big KTM.

even my akra titanium muffler blew the guts out.

my current FMF just did the same thing.

i reckon the welded end can is about the only way to ensure it'll last doing road miles.

Gremlin
30th September 2008, 23:22
I asked if they could get them without the logo, but it doesn't look like that would be possible!
Good price though too.
Yeh, if you're buying direct, it might be possible, but he likes to use his distributors, and Rod (mototoys) says not possible

be careful with an after market can on a big KTM.

even my akra titanium muffler blew the guts out.
:crazy: We'll find out I guess.... :sweatdrop

AlBundy
1st October 2008, 17:01
I've been commuting with the 690 for a bit now...

I must admit, it isn't very smooth at 50-60km/h at about 3200-3700rpm. It surges quite a bit on a constant gas....

Any of you find any issues?

Or is it more a trait of a single? The DRZ did something similar but not quite as pronounced.

Or is it a fuelling issue, ie. lean?

Grassy arse.....

idleidolidyll
1st October 2008, 17:15
I've been commuting with the 690 for a bit now...

I must admit, it isn't very smooth at 50-60km/h at about 3200-3700rpm. It surges quite a bit on a constant gas....

Any of you find any issues?

Or is it more a trait of a single? The DRZ did something similar but not quite as pronounced.

Or is it a fuelling issue, ie. lean?

Grassy arse.....

If it's tuned well it should cruise OK below 4000rpm.
That's part and parcel of a highly tuned single. Your 400 was a soft motor designed for soft riding and in fact was probably a better commuter than your KTM will ever be.

That said, the sheer thrill of the katoom is worth the little bits of agro that come with it. About the only real disadvantage is the expensive and relatively frequent servicing.

My smc is geared for about 190kph but it will never see that speed in reality. Strangely, I'm thinking of RAISING the gearing to give it a better range on the road.
1st gear is all but useless anyway so I figure a 5 speed with overdrive that gets more than 200km per tank will be better for me than a 6 speed that runs out at 170km.

Of course that would mean piddling around town in maybe 3rd gear to prevent the shudders.

AlBundy
1st October 2008, 17:39
If it's tuned well it should cruise OK below 4000rpm.
That's part and parcel of a highly tuned single. Your 400 was a soft motor designed for soft riding and in fact was probably a better commuter than your KTM will ever be.

That said, the sheer thrill of the katoom is worth the little bits of agro that come with it. About the only real disadvantage is the expensive and relatively frequent servicing.

My smc is geared for about 190kph but it will never see that speed in reality. Strangely, I'm thinking of RAISING the gearing to give it a better range on the road.
1st gear is all but useless anyway so I figure a 5 speed with overdrive that gets more than 200km per tank will be better for me than a 6 speed that runs out at 170km.

Of course that would mean piddling around town in maybe 3rd gear to prevent the shudders.

Too true, the DRZ makes for a good town bike...

Is the range on the SMC that short?

The SM has a 13.5l tank, so 250km plus is well within range.

Yeah, I've read some of the debate regarding dropping the front sprocket for a 15. Seems to make the present 5th gear revs, the future 6th. As it is, I find I need at least 120 on the speedo before 6th feels smooth, that's at about 5000rpm. So really, for me, 6th as it is, is already an overdrive... Nevermind making it longer...

idleidolidyll
1st October 2008, 17:57
Too true, the DRZ makes for a good town bike...

Is the range on the SMC that short?

The SM has a 13.5l tank, so 250km plus is well within range.

Yeah, I've read some of the debate regarding dropping the front sprocket for a 15. Seems to make the present 5th gear revs, the future 6th. As it is, I find I need at least 120 on the speedo before 6th feels smooth, that's at about 5000rpm. So really, for me, 6th as it is, is already an overdrive... Nevermind making it longer...

the smc has a 12 litre tank and i have it set for aggressive on the dial up control under the seat. It's probably true that i screw the throttle pretty hard too.

that 170km is a mix of cruising at almost legal speeds and going hard. Going fully hard would empty the tank in maybe 140-150km: a bit boring for my riding mates huh!

the gearing thing is a mystery until i start to mess with it. Luckily i have a bunch of ktm sprockets to play with from my 640 Duke. I'll post my thoughts as I play with it but not for a while as I won't be riding for a couple of weeks anyway.

Devil
1st October 2008, 19:50
Intermeresting.
Commuting/round town blatting/bit o motorway I get 240km on 11L (when the fuel light comes on). Open road I get even better.

Do feel a small surge at lower speeds, but nothing irritating. I dont change into 4th untill i'm doing at least 60km/h. Have to be doing at least 100km/h for 6th. But 110km/h in 6th is no problem. Smooth as.

You can get a different map put on the bike by a ktm dealer. They get updated every so often.

I find in 1st, 2nd and 3rd you can putter around at 3000rpm, but any higher gear and it prefers to be at least 3500rpm, or 4000rpm.

No problem though with rowing through the gears, I love the response!

Devil
1st October 2008, 19:51
Oh and as for servicing, I just had my 5000km service. $162.
I just about laughed. After owning a Triumph thats nothing! I walked out with a smile!...

... now about that 4500km on a set of tyres... :doctor:

DMNTD
1st October 2008, 19:58
Intermeresting.
Commuting/round town blatting/bit o motorway I get 240km on 11L (when the fuel light comes on). Open road I get even better....

Sorry to interrupt but...WANKER!!! I could only dream of such figures!! :Pokey:

Ok...homo poseur sports bike rider departing now :niceone:

AlBundy
2nd October 2008, 01:55
Intermeresting.
Commuting/round town blatting/bit o motorway I get 240km on 11L (when the fuel light comes on). Open road I get even better.

Do feel a small surge at lower speeds, but nothing irritating. I dont change into 4th untill i'm doing at least 60km/h. Have to be doing at least 100km/h for 6th. But 110km/h in 6th is no problem. Smooth as.

You can get a different map put on the bike by a ktm dealer. They get updated every so often.

I find in 1st, 2nd and 3rd you can putter around at 3000rpm, but any higher gear and it prefers to be at least 3500rpm, or 4000rpm.

No problem though with rowing through the gears, I love the response!

Maybe I'm too used to inline fours, so feel better with a few more revs, lol...... They also tend to be less surgey, from experience...

Definately a fun machine though...

I just about laughed. After owning a Triumph thats nothing! I walked out with a smile!...

MMMMM, it'll be a while yet for my 5k but that's not too bad...

Sorry to interrupt but...WANKER!!! I could only dream of such figures!! :Pokey:

Ok...homo poseur sports bike rider departing now :niceone:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

Actually, it is surprising how frugal these things are, considering the way they go....

idleidolidyll
2nd October 2008, 05:50

that's a good guide, who did the service?

my 1st service was about $300 in Auckland.

Devil
2nd October 2008, 08:22
that's a good guide, who did the service?

my 1st service was about $300 in Auckland.

I had my very very first service thrown in with the purchase price (it's so irritating buying a bike, then having to come back in a week and shell out more!) so this was the first unknown one.

Motoworld Powersports in Albany! Totally recommend them if you're up this end of town, If you're closer to East Tamaki then go see Triple X.

idleidolidyll
2nd October 2008, 18:40
I had my very very first service thrown in with the purchase price (it's so irritating buying a bike, then having to come back in a week and shell out more!) so this was the first unknown one.

Motoworld Powersports in Albany! Totally recommend them if you're up this end of town, If you're closer to East Tamaki then go see Triple X.

I use Triple X; they're a good bunch and between them have a good range of skills and knowledge.
It's also a benefit that Steve Briggs is a motard legend as well as approachable and keen to help.

always gotta keep em honest though

Wayne did a map change and a few adjustments to my bike for under $60. I reckon it's important to establish a good working relationship with your dealer/service agent. I might have ridden bikes for ages, raced and worked in the industry too but there's always more they can teach me and I'm always keen to listen.
After a while you get to recognize bullshit and of course tend to avoid it. I don't have to avoid Triple X.

To be fair though, there are lots of good shops around; i've bought bikes from quite a few and would do so again. Triple X also has a major advantage; they're only 10 minutes from home and will give me a lift if needed (i don't usually need loaners)

BTW: KTM 640 Duke (green) for sale soon. 13,000km.
registrations of interest welcome but not on this thread please: pm me

AlBundy
7th October 2008, 15:53
Found a link to the WINGS site...

http://www.wings.si/menu1.htm

Gremlin
7th October 2008, 23:14
Found a link to the WINGS site...

http://www.wings.si/menu1.htm
In that case, you'll also need this link http://www.mototoys.com.au/

I have another thread that I will update shortly, asking about Rod (mototoys)... my pipes should be arriving this week (as in Wednesday/Thursday).

AlBundy
12th October 2008, 12:20
Devil...

Have yo noticed the operation of the slipper clutch at all?

I've been incling to try dropping the clutch when slowing from speed, to see if/how it goes, lol....

Devil
14th October 2008, 08:17
Devil...

Have yo noticed the operation of the slipper clutch at all?

I've been incling to try dropping the clutch when slowing from speed, to see if/how it goes, lol....

On the road i'm pretty smooth with the clutch. I wouldn't expect to notice its operation unless it was hard on the front brake at the time. Haven't got to the race track yet, but will in november so we'll see how it goes.

Had an awesome gravel ride yesterday. Cant wait to get back out there again.

Morcs
14th October 2008, 08:50
I never crave more power from my DRZ?

just get another bike for the open road.

Devil
14th October 2008, 09:14
I never crave more power from my DRZ?

just get another bike for the open road.

Or you can have one bike that does both awesomely :Punk:

AlBundy
14th October 2008, 12:23
Or you can have one bike that does both awesomely :Punk:

That'd be more the SMC though. Very close to the DRZ in weight but the power of ours...

And I'm talking maintenance free bikes here, lol....