PDA

View Full Version : Free NZ Topo maps for Garmin GPS

Wannabike
23rd September 2008, 12:18
Has any one used the free New Zealand Topomaps for Garmin GPS? They are available from here :-http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/catalogue.php?country=165

I have downloaded the Christchurch topo to my Vista GPS and it looks great. However I cannot get the map into mapsource so can't use it on my PC, which is a pain.

Anyone use them and sucessfully loaded them into mapsource. How did you do it?

NordieBoy
24th September 2008, 15:31
You'll need the "mapset toolkit".

The Nelson map isn't compiled and it took overnight on my PC.

Wannabike
24th September 2008, 16:41
NordieBoy - I used the mapset toolkit to add the img file to mapsource, but whenever I try to open the map in mapsource it crashes.

I have downloaded the map to my GPS, but I want to use mapsource to plan routes.

NordieBoy
24th September 2008, 17:17
Do you have the latest version of MapSource?

Transalper
24th September 2008, 20:40
It's been a while now since I messed with this stuff but I used to convert the image files in to self installing .exe files using proceedures from here...
http://www.gpssledmaps.com/guide/make_installer.php
Worked beautifully with the adventure map layer as available from cooneyrs website.

Wannabike
25th September 2008, 10:59
Nordie - I have downloaded the latest update for mapsource 6.14.1, now mapsource doesn't crash but it does come up with an error dialog box which allows me to copy the error to the clipboard. It then produces a xml report that can be sent to Garmin.

Maybe I should try downloading the source and compiling it myself. Reluctant to spend >$300 if I can get the free ones to work.

Transalper
25th September 2008, 12:04
.. Reluctant to spend >$300 if I can get the free ones to work.Getting free ones is always good.
The ones I use cost more like $150 from a local guy Kiwigps.
The maps are called GT Maps. (http://www.gtmaps.co.nz/purchase.html)

NordieBoy
25th September 2008, 17:12
Nordie - I have downloaded the latest update for mapsource 6.14.1, now mapsource doesn't crash but it does come up with an error dialog box which allows me to copy the error to the clipboard. It then produces a xml report that can be sent to Garmin.

Maybe I should try downloading the source and compiling it myself. Reluctant to spend >$300 if I can get the free ones to work.

What you need is an older version.
The latest versions can cause problems and crashes with non-garmin maps.

http://gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=749

Try opening up Mapset Toolkit and removing any existing maps.
Does MapSource open OK?
Then install the MapSets one at a time and check MapSource after each.

See how it goes.

I kept blowing MapSource up regularly with my homemade maps :D

Transalper
25th September 2008, 17:32
...I kept blowing MapSource up regularly with my homemade maps :D
:clap: never had a problem myself. I'm running XP with Mapsource version 6.13.7 but am updating now to see what happens.
I expect to be making my next map soon so will have refreshed the procedure I was using as I can't remember the finer points right this second.
Bit busy this coming weekend and the next but might try recompile the topo in to an exe installer and see if I can get it working that way with my system.

Transalper
25th September 2008, 17:36
Well there you go, updated Mapsource and now my maps do not work either.

Balrog
25th September 2008, 20:34
Well there you go, updated Mapsource and now my maps do not work either.

I had the same problem when I upgraded.
None of my maps would re-load.

MagicFairy found this site (http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/msource/), and I downloaded MapSource 6137 and everything loaded fine after that.

( of course a bit of this :scratch: and this :brick: and this :cry: occured 1st )

cooneyr
25th September 2008, 22:38
So you fullas are suggesting that we stick with 6.13.7? I've not updated yet so all is fine so far.

Cheers R

cowboyz
25th September 2008, 23:17
sorry to steal thread for a bit but

i have gone back to running 6.12.4. I upgraded mapsource and found it painfully slow to map out a route. Running an older XP2000+ 512M.
the version I am running at the moment with 'free auto routing maps' is quick as a flash. Upgrade mapsource and it wont let me use the free autorouting maps and it can take 20-30 seconds to scroll from one side of the country to the other.

Anyone else found this?

Wannabike
26th September 2008, 09:13
Thanks guys, I'm downloading an earlier version of mapsource right now.

Gman71
26th September 2008, 09:42
I've killed mapsource too and now won't even load, :angry2: WHERE DO I GET AN OLDER VERSION TO INSTALL?

Thanks

Wannabike
26th September 2008, 09:47
Same problem with the old version. I'm thinking my download of the Christchurch topomap must be corrupted, I'll try getting the latest map from MapCenter again.

magicfairy
26th September 2008, 10:10
I've killed mapsource too and now won't even load, :angry2: WHERE DO I GET AN OLDER VERSION TO INSTALL?

Thanks

From here http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/msource/

Balrog
26th September 2008, 20:55
So you fullas are suggesting that we stick with 6.13.7? I've not updated yet so all is fine so far.

Cheers R

I'm not recommending it, but it wasn't hard to go back to the previous version once I'd found it.
I'd grab a copy from that site as backup just in case.

Sounds like its been quite a problem, hope its not a sign that garmin are
moving towards locking third party maps out.

Transalper
26th September 2008, 22:36
I'm going to go back to 6.13.7.
I'll try future upgrades but will always go back to with one that works with my maps.

Warr
26th September 2008, 22:54
Im running Mapsource 6.11.6 and maps v2 for some reason I cant unlock maps v3.

I had to load it up onto my laptop as the desktop application wont run and I cant reinstall as the registry keys are corrupt!! (as in I cant even manually delete them in regedit) Short of a XP reinstall, I'll be using the laptop :)

ps just downloading 6.14.1.0

Hoon
27th September 2008, 01:13
I tried these free topo maps and was a little disappointed with the detail. Prob just me but I was hoping for an electronic version of the topo maps sheets you buy from map shops. My use is mainly for tramping type of activities so I need accurate contour lines and other features for it to be of any use.

Ohh well you get what you pay for I guess.

Can anyone recommend a set of topo maps which have good detail contours?

Balrog
27th September 2008, 10:12
I tried these free topo maps and was a little disappointed with the detail. Prob just me but I was hoping for an electronic version of the topo maps sheets you buy from map shops. My use is mainly for tramping type of activities so I need accurate contour lines and other features for it to be of any use.

Ohh well you get what you pay for I guess.

Can anyone recommend a set of topo maps which have good detail contours?

The free maps auto routing maps, designed for vehicle navigation.
They cover off the roads and some major gravel routes.
In the bush or on minor back gravel roads they are usually blank.

I originally purchased NZ Topo for Garmin (http://www.gtmaps.co.nz/) by Gary Turner of Christchurch - $168
They seemed to have pretty good detail.

I've since splashed out and bought the MapToaster (http://www.maptoaster.com/maptoaster-topo-nz/index.html) map sets.
They also some with a set of Topo maps for the gps and I think they are really good.
Not cheap though

I got all my original maps from Tony at KiwiGPS (http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing/3xc/kiwigps/) and found him very helpful.

Wannabike
28th September 2008, 09:56
Do the MapToaster maps give you street maps of towns and cities as well as topomaps? Can you autoroute with them or do you just run the free autorouting maps at the same time?

Balrog
28th September 2008, 10:43
Do the MapToaster maps give you street maps of towns and cities as well as topomaps? Can you autoroute with them or do you just run the free autorouting maps at the same time?

Hi Wannabike

MapToaster maps are just topo maps, they have places of interest but no
autorouting ability.

You can run both the Open source and Maptoaster maps at the same time.
But I haven't tried autorouting with them both displaying.

The MapToaster maps do have street maps, but I'm couldn't say whether the
were more or less detailed than the open source versions.
( I tried to take some comparison screen shots but I can't get alt prtscn to copy anything :angry2:)

I tend to just use the open source maps for riding around the road,
and un-hide the the topo maps when I head off road.

cooneyr
29th September 2008, 08:21
....I tend to just use the open source maps for riding around the road,
and un-hide the the topo maps when I head off road.

+1 but I have the GTmaps linked to above on the GPS and old TopomapsV2 on the computer (basically scans of the paper 260's). We have used the GT maps when tramping and found them pretty usefully. I really like the 260 series topos (1:50,000) and the detail they provide - have used them for a long time. For tramping I would use the paper topos (or the TopomapsV2) for planning and the GPS when out an about as the screen size makes it a little hard to see as much detail when zoomed out and panning around can be tiresome.

Cheers R

4x4NonBiker
28th January 2009, 19:17
Hi Guys

Got this to work. I installed both the most recent version of CGPSMapper' and 'Mapset Toolkit' and recompiled all of the src data from the link. Installed into Mapsource 6.14.1 fine. Have only done the North Island so far. Originally I could only load the the image containing Northland without Mapsource going west

Just a note using 'Mapset Toolkit' and uninstalling the map gave me back Mapsource without a windows restore point or mapsource reinstall after getting the error messages.

Thanks for the link and hope this helps others

4x4NonBiker
28th January 2009, 19:23
Happy to help anyone that nneds guidance on this

4x4 NonBiker

4x4NonBiker
28th January 2009, 20:32
Hi Eddied

I know it was a private message but i dont have enough creds to do it privately. If you can give me a couple of days I will sort out links for both NI and SI

Cheers
44NonBiler

ADKiwi
29th January 2009, 18:04
Happy to help anyone that nneds guidance on this

4x4 NonBiker

I'll take you up on your offer if you're still willing.

I've downloaded a topo map for the Nelson area and would like to install it onto my Garmin Etrex Venture HC.
Although I've run the older version of MapSource, it doesn't seem to be able to find the new file.
Here's the link...
http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/mapview.php?id=1410

The file is a .mp file. Do you need to convert it or something?

Any helpful advice would be GREATLY appreciated.