PDA

View Full Version : Tips please...

CastorPollux
23rd September 2008, 14:05
Afternoon all,:wavey:

I've recenlty put a new front tyre on my ride and I'm a bit nervous about how to go about breaking it in, having never ridden on brand spankers before.

I understand that riding as per usual will do it just fine, but in my daily commute I don't get much of a lean on, so I'm just a bit apprehensive about how far to lean/how soon to lean etc. without losing the front end (I'll admit, the thought of which scares the piddle out of me).

Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Cheers:niceone:

sunhuntin
23rd September 2008, 14:11
i asked this once, and was told to ride like its raining. worked for me, but i ride like that anyways. lol. :niceone: i was also told to find some gravel if possible.

OutForADuck
23rd September 2008, 14:28
i asked this once, and was told to ride like its raining. worked for me, but i ride like that anyways. lol. :niceone: i was also told to find some gravel if possible.

Good advice!! Really just ride carefully and build up your lean and confidence.... you don't, contrary to popular belief have to scrub off all the tyre as heat and flex take care of a lot of that for you.

So just enjoy and as sunhuntin says just ride like its a wet road for a few hundred K's.

NighthawkNZ
23rd September 2008, 14:45
Afternoon all,:wavey:

I've recenlty put a new front tyre on my ride and I'm a bit nervous about how to go about breaking it in, having never ridden on brand spankers before.

I understand that riding as per usual will do it just fine, but in my daily commute I don't get much of a lean on, so I'm just a bit apprehensive about how far to lean/how soon to lean etc. without losing the front end (I'll admit, the thought of which scares the piddle out of me).

Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Cheers:niceone:

Just take it easy for the first 50 odd km's... You will be right... Just don't go balistic on them and slowly build up to your normal riding style.

I have been told you can get a bit of wet & dry sand paper and scrub the edges (or the tyre in) but I have never tried this...

Kiwi Graham
23rd September 2008, 15:02
Front or rear you need to ride like 'steady eddy' for the first few K's, no hard breaking, cornering or acceleration. Once the tyre is up to operating temp gradually increase your lean angles, the aim is to 'scrub in' your tyres. This means removing the release agent/shiney surface from your tyres. This is best done in the dry but can be done (more cautiously) in the wet. You will clearly see which part of your tyre is 'scrubbed in'. No need to be nervous just sensible.