PDA

View Full Version : The Free Will Theorem - John Conway, 4:00pm, Thu 27 Jan 2005, Auckland Uni

jrandom
26th January 2005, 14:05
I'm not posting this in the Meetings and Events forum because it has nothing to do with motorcycles.

You might have noticed the article about this lecture in the Herald today:

http://www.math.auckland.ac.nz/Seminars/view.php?id=913

I shouldn't need to pimp it here beyond what's on that link, so I won't.

I and a few colleagues will be skiving off early from work and attending. If any like-minded KBers feel like coming, meet me at the bike park opposite the engineering building at 3:50pm.

vifferman
26th January 2005, 14:08
You might have noticed the article about this lecture in the Herald today...
Yeah, I did, and read it (amazing, eh?) At first, I thought it looked promising, but then I thought, "This is bollix!" and :crazy: and :whocares: and :blank:

Motu
26th January 2005, 14:13
I hope he's not going to debunk the Kaos theory....I've based my life around it.

jrandom
26th January 2005, 14:14
At first, I thought it looked promising, but then I thought, "This is bollix!" and :crazy: and :whocares: and :blank:

You apathetic old bugger!

The guy *is* a pretty well respected mathematician, you know. I'd go to his lecture regardless of what topic he chose.

And he's not claiming any proof of free will, or anything. It's about the implications thereof.

Hell, it beats working, dunnit?

vifferman
26th January 2005, 14:16
Here's the kicker: his picture reminded me of WINJA's avatar.:doh:

Don't think it was WINJA though; his quotes weren't in UPPERCASE.

Yokai
26th January 2005, 14:31
Man - I'd like to go to that.... Shucks. Weird thing for me was that I read it as a theorem about freeing some guy called Will .... *DOH!*

Reminds me of the time that my Dad was run over by Professor Hawking in a Cambridge pub! - The nurse with him said "Sorry about that - he gets a little wobbly when he's had a drink!"

Motu
26th January 2005, 14:56
[QUOTE=Yokai]Man - I'd like to go to that.... Shucks. Weird thing for me was that I read it as a theorem about freeing some guy called Will .... *DOH!*
QUOTE]

so shall we all go along and show John our Free Willies?

MikeL
26th January 2005, 15:37
An interesting thought. As I understand it he starts with the assumption that he has free will ("I can decide to drop this pen on the table, or not") and from that goes on to conclude that every sub-atomic particle in the universe has the same freedom. No doubt his mathematics and physics are impeccable. It's proving the initial assumption that I'd be concerned about.
As for the rest, if I didn't have a brain that gets confused by any mathematics more advanced than long division, I would be tempted to go along and listen...

vifferman
26th January 2005, 15:42
An interesting thought. As I understand it he starts with the assumption that he has free will ("I can decide to drop this pen on the table, or not") and from that goes on to conclude that every sub-atomic particle in the universe has the same freedom. No doubt his mathematics and physics are impeccable. It's proving the initial assumption that I'd be concerned about.

That's sort of what I thought too, when reading the article.
Can we ever be entirely sure that any action we take / decision we make is entirely of our own free will? (Not a problem in my case, as I am almost incapable of making decisions...:blink: )

I still say it's all bollix....

duckman
26th January 2005, 15:53
I was thinking about going and then thought ... "is this my decision or am I destined to go" ?? ... Then I decided F*ckem, I wont go and that'll prove it one way or another ... eh!! :doobey:

jrandom
26th January 2005, 16:05
He's a mathematician, not a philosopher. He doesn't care whether or not you have free will.

He just happens to have noticed an interesting implication if you *do* happen to have it.

Mike, you should come. If you can drag yourself away from the teenage girls for long enough, of course.

Hitcher
26th January 2005, 16:18
Is this lecture sponsored by The Public Trust?

Blakamin
26th January 2005, 16:19
does anyone know what happened to KB????? i seem to have moved to a parallel universe where everone is talking weird shit.... if I am in that universe, can someone kill me ASAP.... please

ps I ride a motersickle :thud:

jrandom
26th January 2005, 16:21
Is this lecture sponsored by The Public Trust?

I'm afraid that the specific fusion of faux-academic government department in-jokes, not-for-profit bodies corporate and pop culture that undoubtedly underlies the subtle humour in your post has passed me by.

:moon:

Blakamin
26th January 2005, 16:29
I'm afraid that the specific fusion of faux-academic government department in-jokes, not-for-profit bodies corporate and pop culture that undoubtedly underlies the subtle humour in your post has passed me by.

:moon:
definately in the wrong universe..... :Oops:

Yokai
26th January 2005, 16:34
definately in the wrong universe..... :Oops:

Nah you're definitely in the right one. ....

Ooh - but I got in with the spelling change before JR or Hitcher - maybe you ARE in the wrong one!!??

*cue spooky music*

Jamezo
26th January 2005, 18:43
...on occasion their behaviour is not a
function of the prior history of the entire universe.

now isn't that just the kicker right there. damn, I wanna go!

mikey
26th January 2005, 18:54
JUST GET DRUNK

FUCK THE FREE WILL

VOTE GEORGE BUSH

avgas
26th January 2005, 19:18
Seems interesting, if i got afternoon off you may see me there (but ill prob chuck my bike in the parking building over at AUT - security cameras good).
hehe i read some of Conways stuff last year as i was doing my control project. Wasnt any good for my project, and he basically puts maths behind what we all assumed.
That Fossen dude, would like to meet him though - smart cookie, with sense.

jrandom
26th January 2005, 19:25
JUST GET DRUNK

Word.

If I didn't have to be elsewhere for the evening, I'd have arranged a post-lecture Galbraiths meet.

FUCK THE FREE WILLY

Whatever works for you, dude. Remember to loosen up with fingers and Vaseline first.

VOTE GEORGE BUSH

But I've got a mad crush on Helen...

jrandom
26th January 2005, 19:27
ill prob chuck my bike in the parking building over at AUT - security cameras good

Good point. I've spent the last few hours worrying about what will happen if I dump the Zeal across from engineering during an evening, and tossing up the idea of buying a disk lock tomorrow.

AUT parking building it will be, I think.

mikey
26th January 2005, 19:32
fuck didnt read before i posted... shouldnt drink whilest on net

it meant to say
JUST GET DRUNK

FUCK THE FREE WORLD

VOTE GEORGE BUSH

MikeL
26th January 2005, 19:42
Mike, you should come. If you can drag yourself away from the teenage girls for long enough, of course.

The teenage girls don't come into it. They're not scheduled until next week. Tomorrow is Orientation, Professional Development and other pointless time-fillers.

Could possibly make the lecture if I'm not too stressed out...

Hitcher
26th January 2005, 20:22
Oh. I thought that because the Public Trust had a free will service they might be interested in this forum...

But then I reread the original post and now see the error of my ways.

Is Will Theorum a mate of Ahmed Zaoui? In which case, free him forthwith!

MacD
26th January 2005, 20:51
Oh. I thought that because the Public Trust had a free will service they might be interested in this forum...

Oh! It's a scythe! :rolleyes:

Milky
28th January 2005, 10:28
Gutted. I would have popped along as it looked interesting, but I hadn't logged into this for 2 days so I missed out :( that'll teach me.... :shifty: