PDA

View Full Version : Kapiti by-law to ban two-wheeled motorcycles

davereid
23rd September 2008, 20:47
Kapiti Coast District Council are proposing a new by-law... which will recognise the rights of nude sunbathers.

But buried later in the same by-law is a clause banning two wheeled motorcycles from certain "sensitive" areas, which are also public roads - ie the beach.

If they can get away with this, what is to stop them banning bikes on other "sensitive" public roads. Say near schools, or malls, or residential areas ?

Ixion
23rd September 2008, 21:10
BRONZ has a submission in about this (on behalf of National, since Auckland isn't near Kapiti)

sAsLEX
23rd September 2008, 21:27
So just motorcycles not all vehicles?

Easy buy some trainer wheels and bolt them on!

McJim
23rd September 2008, 21:33
So they're gonna ban 2 wheeled motorcycles, 4 wheeled cars, 4 wheeled quads, 3 wheeled trikes and 2 legged bipeds :rofl:

Why not just say they're gonna ban motorcycles and be done with it?

Monomotorcycles are permitted.

davereid
24th September 2008, 08:05
So they're gonna ban 2 wheeled motorcycles, 4 wheeled cars, 4 wheeled quads, 3 wheeled trikes and 2 legged bipeds :rofl:

Why not just say they're gonna ban motorcycles and be done with it?

Monomotorcycles are permitted.

Just motorcycles will be banned..

9 Vehicles: Beach Zone Restrictions
All two wheeled road or off-road motorbikes are not permitted to drive
on any part of the beach

I would have thought that the council would not have the power to ban a registered and warranted motorcycle from a public road. Anyone know any of the relevant rules ?

s8306
24th September 2008, 08:11
What part of the beach is it,might go down and have a perv:niceone:

davereid
24th September 2008, 08:26
Paekakariki to Otaki North beaches will be banned to motorcycles..

sinfull
24th September 2008, 08:36
Don't think he's gonna go perve at the bikes Dave !
Thinking of getting myself a bit of fitness training in this summer too lol thats a hell walk though !
I cant believe they're talking of freeing up nudity along the entire coast !
There aint that many nudists but yet they will be allowed to strut their stuff at paraparam beach where thousands of kids will be during summer ! Whats wrong with giving them pekapeak to tehoro and raumati south to north of paekok, theyre already there lol !

Griffin
24th September 2008, 08:57
Is it the road by the beach they're banning you from or the beach itself... the way I read the points above it would seem to me that they are intending this bylaw to stop mainly offroad / dirt bike riders from screaming up and down the beach. This type of activity may scare away the nudists and in that regard - I am for the ban... bring on the nudists.

Having said that I have a funny feeling that the nudists of NZ are all obese middle aged white men... so perhaps the dirt bikes should be allowed.

Hell, whats the prob - its only banning 2 wheeled m/c's - all of us that have 1 or 3 or more wheels on our m/c are fine!

Bren
24th September 2008, 12:24
Hell, whats the prob - its only banning 2 wheeled m/c's - all of us that have 1 or 3 or more wheels on our m/c are fine!

do motorcycle engines have flywheels?

pete376403
24th September 2008, 13:44
Would the ban still apply if you're riding naked? (or riding a naked bike. Or riding a naked bike naked?)

scorry
24th September 2008, 14:22
dont most motorbikes become 1 wheeled bikes on the beach, thats the best part of beach riding i find lol

Max Preload
24th September 2008, 14:24
I would have thought that the council would not have the power to ban a registered and warranted motorcycle from a public road. Anyone know any of the relevant rules ?

As far as I'm aware, they don't.

I get the feeling this proposed by-law is another of those kneejerk reactions to an isolated incident or the usual fucking hippy interference in the lives of anyone who doesn't wear hemp underpants.

s8306
24th September 2008, 14:25

Not worried about the ban.I just wanna look at nude people.

imdying
24th September 2008, 14:26
Need the MFSC down there... no front wheels, wheelie the length of the beach :D

Ixion
24th September 2008, 14:30
I am trying to find out about the legality of the proposal. I suspect that it is beyond their powers to place a blanket exclusion on a type of vehicle on a public road (as distinct from a restriction relating to the nature of a vehicle, such as a weight limit on a bridge).

I think to do that the road would have to be reclassified as a special vehicle lane (ie, like a bus lane in reverse).

EDIT

So far all I have found is the Local Government Act 1974

Stopping and closing of roads
(1) The council may, in the manner provided in Schedule 10 to this Act,—
(a) Stop any road or part thereof in the district:

Provided that the council (not being a borough council) shall not proceed to stop any road or part thereof in a rural area unless the prior consent of the Minister of Lands has been obtained; or
(b) Close any road to traffic or any specified type of traffic (including pedestrian traffic) on a temporary basis in accordance with that Schedule and impose or permit the imposition of charges as provided for in that Schedule.

Note this only allows closure to specified types of traffic on a TEMPORARY basis

mazz1972
24th September 2008, 15:33
Aren't vehicles already banned from most of the beach at Kapiti? I thought that covered motorcycles as well.

As the beach is classed as a "road" then your bike should be wof'd & registered to ride it there anyway.

Look at what's happened in Foxton - bikes/quads are banned from all but certain parts of the beach and a speed limit of about 30km's (I think?) is in place within those areas. HUGE tickets have been dished out by the local cop.

As usual it's the few that ruin it for the many. It only takes a few twats riding or driving like mental cases on the beach to put the backs up of other beach users, and it jeopardises the activities of those that behave/ride respectfully of others on the beach. There are a couple of such twats that ride at Waikanae Beach very regularly - fortunately for them no-one has managed to catch them yet.

I can see both sides of the argument, but it is a shame that times are a changing.

Max Preload
24th September 2008, 22:09
Note this only allows closure to specified types of traffic on a TEMPORARY basis

I guess then the question is how long is temporary...

The southern motorway between Manukau and almost to Manurewa has been a 'temporary' 80km/h zone for probably over a year now...

Shiny side up
24th October 2008, 17:31
Sound a bit of a snafu to me.....

If your vehicle has wof and reg it can go on a public roadway. If it anit it cant. So such a law, if it were intended to stop off road bikes rarking up the dunes, would be reduntant before it was passed. The law already allows for ticketing un reg'ed and non-wof'ed bikes..... if they can be caught.

A speed limit might be more effective. (pitty the poor streaker crossing the black sand on a hot day)