PDA

View Full Version : Derestricting KRR150 smoker

Atomic
26th January 2005, 16:21
Hi all.

I am not entirely sure if they are even restricted to begin with...?
However if my 03 Kawasaki KRR150 is restricted, is there a straight forward
process of altering this for a bit more pull (CDI?, Carb?, KIPS?, other?) ?

I am not totally unsatisfied by the little 2-Banger as Im convinced its
quicker than my old FZR250RR and will even lift the front wheel under power
in 2nd gear with a pull on the bars (back to oem 39t rear sprocket)... Its just when I read the specs on the Malaysian NSR150 and highly strung MX 125s which are making upwards of 40+Ps and my KRR was dyno tested to a mere 25 at the rubber, I wouldnt think drive train loss would be substaintial like a car suffers so I imagine 25 at the wheel wouldnt be much more than 30 at the engine?!?! Seriously behind the NSR150!!!
Pretty pleased at low speed its just the area above 90-ish kph that it starts running out of puff.

Any cost effective advice on sucking out more power would be appreciated.....cant justify $500+ on an expansion chamber for a 2-ish hp increase.

Cheers
Lance

Two Smoker
26th January 2005, 16:25
Im not sure of any restrictions.... It should go all the way to about 180kmh (on the speedo)...

The NSR150 is highly tricked out... with its single sided swing arm etc.....

Sorry to burst you bubble, but the KRR is only quicker than the FZR to about 70-90kmh...

You could try using a iridium spark plug and taking out the baffling in the exhaust..

Atomic
26th January 2005, 16:42
Yeah like I said, its the over 90kph area that its lacking....down low its pretty fun.

Its not heaps of max speed im after either, just the ability to pull hard to say 150k so open road overtaking on short straights isnt an unsafe pastime!

You strengthen my intuition that there is more power laying dormant with your quote...

The NSR150 is highly tricked out... with its single sided swing arm etc...

After all they are the same configuration/capacity/cycle engine so what is the NSR engine tricked out with that the KRR hasnt got? Honda wouldnt have built a fully built race motor to make 40ps so there must be something holding the KRR back?

Two Smoker
26th January 2005, 16:48
I would say 40 hp is bullshit... Ive heard of RG150's being dynoed at 32hp and i had a drag race with a KRR150, the RG was quicker (and im heavier)

They arent very quick at speeds above 100.... You can expect 250 two stroke capabilities with a 150... best bet is to hit the twisties and wait for a bigger bike :niceone:

Atomic
26th January 2005, 17:51
Thanks for your comments, no offence regarding the following..

But you cant really determine a vehicles performance by a drag race, for all you know your launch was much better than the guy on the other bike or he missed a gear or he was pre-maturely shifting up without using all of the available peak power! To get an accurate guage of which is faster I would want to see an advanced rider do several runs on each bike over a timed 1/4 and compare the averages.

Maybe im just byast and dont want to hear the RG is faster!!!

Im in Aucks also, ill have to go for a ride with ya some time.
Cheers
Lance

Two Smoker
26th January 2005, 17:59
Thanks for your comments, no offence regarding the following..

But you cant really determine a vehicles performance by a drag race, for all you know your launch was much better than the guy on the other bike or he missed a gear or he was pre-maturely shifting up without using all of the available peak power! To get an accurate guage of which is faster I would want to see an advanced rider do several runs on each bike over a timed 1/4 and compare the averages.

Maybe im just byast and dont want to hear the RG is faster!!!

Im in Aucks also, ill have to go for a ride with ya some time.
Cheers
Lance
LOL, nah, i knew the rider, we were going hard, it wasnt due to launch, i passed him (started off 2 metres behind, ended up 2 metres infront, in otherwords fuck all difference....)

Although im not very fast and a very slow racer...

Yep ride sounds good.... Got the perfect one, on the 30th of January, its a Noobz ride.... 0930 at Papakura AB, definately come along, its going to be a goodun :niceone: Especially if Death comes.........

FzerozeroT
26th January 2005, 18:37
hey Lance, it was actually that bike that TS is talking about racing against :D

If you do want to up the compression a bit there are 2 head gaskets and you could remove one. The fact is that the RG150's are a more highly tuned bike with i think 1,000 extra RPM. but the difference was four metres up to about 130kph which really is feck all (as TS said) and with those TT900's and a bit of skill (don't even need much of that) you'll take any other bike in the corners.

You really should chuck the 35T sprocket back on for that top end speed too, you'll need it to ride with these guys. As far as having to accellerate to overtake, just bake sure that every car you come up behind you have a 30kph+ speed differential and it's fine :P

Two Smoker
26th January 2005, 18:49
Hey Matt, hows the RGV coming along????

FzerozeroT
26th January 2005, 21:23
only need a choke slide\bung and I'm 100%, should be well ready for 28th feb. don't know about paint yet though

inlinefour
26th January 2005, 23:07
From my experience of riding 2 strokes I believe that it would not last too long and the restricter is a form of self preservation :doh:

cowpoos
1st February 2005, 20:19
I've heard of a good mod to get kkr150s to go fast.

step one is to tie a holden to it.....[or harley]

step two find a plane

step three throw the holden [or harley] out of the plane at a huge amount of feet.

250KMPH + I PROMISE.....

ps:suprisingly good fuel econamy too....better than most mods.

:yeah: