PDA

View Full Version : WOF help wanted

scubygurl
25th September 2008, 20:35
Hi all,
Well I am new to this forum and I think its my first post.
I'm on a learners and have just got into riding the bike with the sun coming out more often :banana:
My issues isn't so much that I have a problem with the bike at the moment, my issues is I am currently in a moonboot as I partially tore my achilles :( so can't ride for at least another two weeks :devil2:
I don't have any friends who have a licence (some can ride but yeah I'll say no more) and my problem is my bikes WOF ran out on the 22nd Sept!
Does anyone in the Auckland area know if theres a shop that either pick up or does at home WOF's. I'm thinking the later is an impossibility but have to ask.
I am located in Birkdale on the North Shore and I have a little 250 Kawasaki Eliminator if that info is needed.
Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Scuby

Wired1
25th September 2008, 20:48
Hi and welcome. If you can' ride your bike then why get a warrant? You can ride it to the testing station once you get your moonboot off and get a WOF then. My wife snapped her archillies and only had the boot on for about three months so yours will be off in no time.:doctor:
As far as I know there isn't a penalty for letting it sit un-warranted for any length of time.

NighthawkNZ
25th September 2008, 20:55
As far as I know there isn't a penalty for letting it sit un-warranted for any length of time.

No there isn't... just don't let the rego slip with out the wof... as they back date it...

But remember you need the wof to get a rego

xwhatsit
25th September 2008, 20:56
The only issue that pops up with leaving a WoF expired for a while is that if the rego expires too, you can't renew it until you get a fresh WoF. Expired rego is a problem if left alone.

Also, you could be very unlucky, the cops could be nasty and ticket you on the way to actually getting the WoF once you're healed; I suppose they'd be lenient if you said you were going to get a WoF right now but I'm sure everybody tries that excuse on them, it would be damned difficult to determine who's telling porkies and who's telling the truth!

scubygurl
25th September 2008, 21:01
I know that it can sit without a WOF but realised that the Licence expires on the 10th Oct. Which is why I thought that if I could get a WOF I can at least keep it licenced.

Might have to just book it in and but it on the back of a ute/trailer or something I guess.

Cheers for your advice so far.

roadracingoldfart
25th September 2008, 21:02
Another consideration is that you have no WOF when you eventually ride to get the inspection done if its expired , therefore you may get a ticket from a cop if they are low on the quota for that day.
The other really nasty bit is if you (heaven forbid) have a crash on the way and dont have a current WOF you can kiss your insurance goodbye. Insurance companies dont care if you are going to get an inspection done at the time , its just clear cut to them , no WOF , no insurance.

Paul.

Katman
25th September 2008, 21:06
A WOF cannot be issued anywhere other than at the place that the WOF certification is registered at.

Wired1
25th September 2008, 21:07
It won't be a drama about the rego either unless you leave it for a couple of years - if you're planning on skipping around with your flash new footwear for that long you can easily (ie on-line) put the rego on hold. And if a cop pulls you over on the way to the testing station just tell him to get a hobby - that normally works.

Subike
25th September 2008, 21:08
I know that it can sit without a WOF but realised that the Licence expires on the 10th Oct. Which is why I thought that if I could get a WOF I can at least keep it licenced.

Might have to just book it in and but it on the back of a ute/trailer or something I guess.

Cheers for your advice so far.

If you are going to be in your moonboot for three months, then put the registration on hold for that time. Dont spend money when you dont need to.
As for the WOF, If you have a booking for a WOF, and are pulled by a cop on the way to that booking,and given a ticket, produce the WOF recept at the police station, and they can cancel it. You have a time peroid after a ticked is issued to get a WOF.
Then you can Rego it, again if ticketed, you have 48hrs to produce reg from time of ticket for it to be cancelled.
But back tothe bike.
Park it up, put the rego on hold till you are ready to ride it again. Can be done on line . Min is for three months.
Can someone post the link to the TSL rego site please?

roadracingoldfart
25th September 2008, 21:24
[QUOTE=Subike;1744991]
As for the WOF, If you have a booking for a WOF, and are pulled by a cop on the way to that booking,and given a ticket, produce the WOF recept at the police station, and they can cancel it. You have a time peroid after a ticked is issued to get a WOF.
Then you can Rego it, again if ticketed, you have 48hrs to produce reg from time of ticket for it to be cancelled.
QUOTE]

If you have a booking or not is completely irelivent.
No WOF = no WOF and like the inspection for the WOF the offence notice is given for the time of the inspection/offence and there is ( but im happy to be proved wrong ) no period of grace. An officer may use a certain amount of discretion and demand you produce proof of a new WOF but it is far from common law and is purely at his / her discretion.

The only period of grace i am aware of is that you have 28 days to get a free recheck after getting failed for any point of a WOF inspection but you are still not permitted to operate the vehicle / bike until a up to date WOF has been issued.

Try to find a bike shop that will collect the bike and then deliver it back. Its still a good idea to hold the rego though if you cant use it for at least 3 months.

Squiggles
25th September 2008, 21:33
The other really nasty bit is if you (heaven forbid) have a crash on the way and dont have a current WOF you can kiss your insurance goodbye. Insurance companies dont care if you are going to get an inspection done at the time , its just clear cut to them , no WOF , no insurance.

Paul.

Had a closer look through my policy the other day, it picks at it being in a warrantable condition, not whether it has one or not

Might be able to help you this weekend, looks like im heading up there anyway/could ride it http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=82664 Will see if that fits with the others :)

Max Preload
25th September 2008, 23:14
If you have a booking or not is completely irelivent.
No WOF = no WOF and like the inspection for the WOF the offence notice is given for the time of the inspection/offence and there is ( but im happy to be proved wrong ) no period of grace. An officer may use a certain amount of discretion and demand you produce proof of a new WOF but it is far from common law and is purely at his / her discretion.

Incorrect.

Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004

8.9 Motor vehicle must be kept in appropriate condition

(1) An operator of a motor vehicle that is required to have a warrant of fitness or certificate of fitness must at all times when the vehicle is operated on a road keep the vehicle in a condition appropriate to the level required for the issue of that warrant or certificate (as the case may be).

(2) An operator of a motor vehicle is not in breach of subclause (1) if the operator proves that, at the time the vehicle was being driven,—

(a) the vehicle was being operated solely for the purpose of—

(i) bringing it into compliance and the vehicle was safe to be operated for that purpose; or
(ii) obtaining a relevant certification and the vehicle was safe to be operated for that purpose; or

(b) the operator did not know, and had no reasonable cause to suspect, that the vehicle was no longer equipped or in a condition to justify the issue for it of a warrant of fitness or certificate of fitness.

motorbyclist
26th September 2008, 02:00
Had a closer look through my policy the other day, it picks at it being in a warrantable condition, not whether it has one or not

pretty sure that's what mine says too

Might be able to help you this weekend, looks like im heading up there anyway/could ride it http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=82664 Will see if that fits with the others :)

the SMC towtruck sure is getting a workout this weekend isn't it!

Gremlin
26th September 2008, 02:56
I rode my zx10 through the same road block twice (first it was there, 2nd was deliberate) both times not realising the WOF was out by 2-3 months, the rego out by a month. Pretty darned lucky the cops weren't checking that.

Rode it off the shop a few days later, wof'd, then rode to an AA to get rego, then rode it home feeling all legal like :niceone:

TimeOut
26th September 2008, 06:50
If you are going to be in your moonboot for three months, then put the registration on hold for that time. Dont spend money when you dont need to.
But back tothe bike.
Park it up, put the rego on hold till you are ready to ride it again. Can be done on line . Min is for three months.
Can someone post the link to the TSL rego site please?

This is what I thought was the case, book your WOF take their phone number with you so cop can check if he wishes.

roadracingoldfart
26th September 2008, 07:18
Incorrect.

[/INDENT][/INDENT]

I withdraw and appologise ........

That last clause seems a bit iffy and may be open to interpritation.
Officer , did you know your WOF has run out Sir.....
Victim , really ! i didnt know, im a bit naughty aint i ......
Officer , Thats ok dont worry, half our police cars are like that too.....
Insert Tui advert here.

Paul.

Max Preload
26th September 2008, 07:37
That last clause seems a bit iffy and may be open to interpritation.

It's more about you not knowing that the steering rack boot was torn etc. not that is has a 'current' WoF.

By pure coincidence, I'm off to get a tyre in a moment to bring my bike back into compliance... and I'm riding it there.

Blossom
26th September 2008, 07:37
I am quite shocked none of the local guys on here have offered to take it in for you? Although personally I am a bit precious about who I will let ride my bike anyway. lol.
Moonboots suck. I had to get my husband to ride my bike back from the shop brand spanking new cause my foot was in a moonboot. grrr.
Another thought was how friendly are you with your local motorcycle shop? Maybe theres someone there who might kindly offer to take her in for ya?
Mostly just trying to think outside the box. Heck if I was a bit closer I would offer myself.

davebullet
26th September 2008, 07:53
No point getting someone else to WoF it for you if you can't ride it anyway. If you are in a moonboot for a while, you are just wasting your warrant time and money.

As suggested, put the rego on hold. It doesn't cost anything to put on hold and you can do it on-line at the LTSA (I think?) website.

Cheers,
David.

The Stranger
26th September 2008, 08:34
Another consideration is that you have no WOF when you eventually ride to get the inspection done if its expired , therefore you may get a ticket from a cop if they are low on the quota for that day.

Paul.

Absolutely classic.

Don't worry if you haven't a clue what you are talking about, just as long as you get your post count up.

Well done.

NOMIS
26th September 2008, 08:53
Hi all,
Well I am new to this forum and I think its my first post.
I'm on a learners and have just got into riding the bike with the sun coming out more often :banana:
My issues isn't so much that I have a problem with the bike at the moment, my issues is I am currently in a moonboot as I partially tore my achilles :( so can't ride for at least another two weeks :devil2:
I don't have any friends who have a licence (some can ride but yeah I'll say no more) and my problem is my bikes WOF ran out on the 22nd Sept!
Does anyone in the Auckland area know if theres a shop that either pick up or does at home WOF's. I'm thinking the later is an impossibility but have to ask.
I am located in Birkdale on the North Shore and I have a little 250 Kawasaki Eliminator if that info is needed.
Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Scuby

get some body to take it in for you.... im sure there more than one person on here that would offer you help

XxKiTtiExX
26th September 2008, 09:13
If you aren't certain as to when you'll be riding again, forget about the WOF for now and just go in and get an exemption put on your bike registration. It costs nothing to do this unless the registration has run out already, then you just pay them from the date the registration ran out, to the date you put the registration on hold.

I've done that with my own bike, put 12months exemption on it. Hopefully I'll be back on the bike before then but the longer period of time means that I'll at least not be running high risk of my exemption expiring, and "warning" letters mysteriously disappearing. (It happened to dads bike)

When you're back riding, and you go to get a wof take your exemption paperwork with you. It does clearly note in the declaration "Parking or driving a vehicle on a public road while it is exempted from licencing is an offence unless it is being driven for the purpose of obtaining a vehicle inspection." So I'm sure same thing would apply if you were heading in to get your wof done.

There is also the option that another member mentioned if you did end up with a ticket for having no wof, turn up with the evidence that you did in fact go in and get your wof done. Simple.

On that note, if you're that worried, trailor it there when the time comes.

vifferman
26th September 2008, 09:21
I live not far from you (in Birkenhead) so I'd be more'n happy to take it in for you. Just let me know if you want me to do it, and I'll pick it up.

PirateJafa
26th September 2008, 10:10
I am quite shocked none of the local guys on here have offered to take it in for you?

Some of us prefer to offer contact details via PM. :)

the SMC towtruck sure is getting a workout this weekend isn't it!

If the chap with the busted XS gets back to either me or Squiggles, then it probably will. If not, then it'll be a weekend of just riding! :scooter:

Max Preload
26th September 2008, 18:11

Hate to a picky bastard (well, sort of...) but actually that's wrong too. :rofl: Unless a fault is a contributing factor to a crash, you're actually still covered by every policy I've ever seen. Just as having evidence of inspection (a 'current' WoF) doesn't guarantee you a payout if you should reasonably have known of the existance of a fault that was a contributing factor.

XxKiTtiExX
26th September 2008, 18:15
Actually, that's wrong too. :ROFL: Unless a fault is a contributing factor to a crash, you're actually still covered by every policy I've ever seen. Just as having evidence of inspection (a 'currebt' WoF) doesn't guarantee you a payout if you should reasonably have known of the existance of a fault that was a contributing factor.

That is correct. Mum had just been informed of this when looking into insurance for my brother through NZI.

Max Preload
26th September 2008, 18:22
That is correct. Mum had just been informed of this when looking into insurance for my brother through NZI.

Catch up! You're 3 edits behind on quoting me! :lol:

XxKiTtiExX
26th September 2008, 18:24
Catch up! You're 3 edits behind on quoting me! :lol:

From now on I'll sit here refreshing my screen every 30 seconds in hopes of catching your next post. My bad. :bleh:

Max Preload
26th September 2008, 18:55
I should think so! :oi-grr:

roadracingoldfart
26th September 2008, 20:33
Absolutely classic.

Don't worry if you haven't a clue what you are talking about, just as long as you get your post count up.

Well done.

Its true that us AVI inspectors dont know the rules apart from the ones governing the tech inspection lol. I must surely now have to resign as foreman of the Ford workshop and hide in a corner :bye:

577 !!!!

Subike
26th September 2008, 20:45
Its true that us AVI inspectors dont know the rules apart from the ones governing the tech inspection lol. I must surely now have to resign as foreman of the Ford workshop and hide in a corner :bye:

577 !!!!

You work on Fords mate.:shit:
You know those things fall apart between WOF checks!:2guns:
The only thing that keeps you in your job:laugh:
Fix Or Repair Daily :jerry::jerry::jerry:

Forgot to add, Im retired from Car Removals, 15 years of it, 20k plus cars,
I know what falls off what.

roadracingoldfart
26th September 2008, 20:47
Hate to a picky bastard (well, sort of...) but actually that's wrong too. :rofl: Unless a fault is a contributing factor to a crash, you're actually still covered by every policy I've ever seen. Just as having evidence of inspection (a 'current' WoF) doesn't guarantee you a payout if you should reasonably have known of the existance of a fault that was a contributing factor.

Id hate you to think of yaself as a picky bastard too !!!

It can be said that a new WOF can be nulled and void as soon as you take the vehicle out of the driveway of the issuer. IE; blown brake bulb or any such thing like a foreign object in a tyre.
The onus is on the operator of the vehicle to ensure it meets the required standard. Try to get of a ticket by saying its not my car , i didnt know it was without a wof.
Its in our own interest to ensure we all keep our bikes / cars in a good state of repair.
Some cars i fail are just a hazzard on the road and we will fail it .
We have had a couple of cars writen of the road by a police officer so its not on the same road as us and our loved ones.
The worst bike failure was a 550 with a hose clamp as a rear axle nut, one front caliper missing and a bolt blocking the brake hose on that side, no r/h foot peg (he used the rear one) and that was fine according to the rider.

roadracingoldfart
26th September 2008, 20:55

Forgot to add, Im retired from Car Removals, 15 years of it, 20k plus cars,
I know what falls off what.

Yip i do work on Fords and i dont give a single shit about the Holden versus Ford argument.
Whats so fuckin great about being the best out of 2 brands.???
And its Found On Roadside Dead silly. or is that Fastest On Race Day ???.

PS; ive also seen what falls off what .
So far this year 3 brand new cars from a car transporters
and one ute that was fried by a power line on top of a car transporter.
Never mind we all have bad days aye .

CookMySock
26th September 2008, 20:59
the cops could be nasty and ticket you on the way to actually getting the WoFI understand you are allowed to drive the vehicle to a place of repair or WOF. Unless of course for some reason its obviously and ridiculously unsafe on the road.

Steve

scumdog
26th September 2008, 21:06

ORRR...First On Race Day??

Nice troll ya old fart!!

The Stranger
26th September 2008, 21:08

577 !!!!

WTF, you of all people should know better than to spread misinformation, shame on you. For clarification check out Kitties post - that girl knows her shit.

Squiggles
27th September 2008, 09:58
0212685528 , we're heading that way tomorrow morning with the trailer, your bike is welcome to come along to get a wof

Steve

scubygurl
30th September 2008, 10:38
Thanks to those who have offered to ride my 'limmy' (sorry, I'm a girl and had to name her something! :laugh: )
Haven't been online to respond before now but cheers!

I think since I see the specialist :doctor: next Wednesday i'll just wait and see what he says. I'm sure hoping I won't be in the boot much longer as the injury isn't as bad as first thought but who knows! <_<

Since I got my learners licence I haven't riden that much and want to practice plus I'm just loving the whole 'riding' thing....I just hope like hell I can at least :ride: over summer!

Once again, Cheers to you guys who offered.