PDA

View Full Version : Manfeild long circuit axed

eelracing
26th September 2008, 23:09
Just read today in NZ motorcycle trader that Manfields extension is getting taken out of commission (trust boards words).They say it will be used for driver training with extra roads to be added,it has been little used since it has been built and they feel it takes the action too far away from spectator areas.Sounds like crap to me as personally i think it is the best section of the manfield dragway...sorry,racetrack.What do other riders,racers and trackdayers think?

cowpoos
26th September 2008, 23:42
manfield dragway?? I detect a sarcasuim undertone??

well I lot of people say manfield is like three drag strips with a few corners...true be told...its actually a hard track to do consistant fast laps while racing on it. theres a variety of fast lines and passing oppertunities..track gives a great buzz when on it!! its just outright good fun!!..great specator veiwing.

The extention is a nice add on...its a shame its not used more. it really is..but for race meetings I've heard is a marshell issuse..as in not being able to find enough.

slimjim
27th September 2008, 08:17
The extention is a nice add on...its a shame its not used more. it really is..but for race meetings I've heard is a marshell issuse..as in not being able to find enough.[/QUOTE]
:weep: O bugger..yup i have enjoyed too this part of track when its been used.. but can truely understand if its only marshell problem..bugger

KiwiKat
27th September 2008, 08:26
The extention is a nice add on...its a shame its not used more. it really is..but for race meetings I've heard is a marshell issuse..as in not being able to find enough.
:weep: O bugger..yup i have enjoyed too this part of track when its been used.. but can truely understand if its only marshell problem..bugger[/QUOTE]

Track crews have never been proactive in recruiting new volunteers. And recently a lot of the promoters have not been adequately recognising their efforts.

If management don't recruit and retain the staff (marshalls) they can't provide the service. Bad rep points all round.:argh:

Rcktfsh
27th September 2008, 09:25
The original a fantastic track, the add on broke up the flow and consistancy. Can't say I'll miss it in anyway.

t3mp0r4ry nzr
27th September 2008, 10:37
The original a fantastic track, the add on broke up the flow and consistancy. Can't say I'll miss it in anyway.
agreed. the extension is good for buckets, motards and suitable for training. the original track is very fast and all about keeping high corner speed, getting the most out of the banking with, as poos mentions, a number of lines that can be used.

not a bad decision. I think you will find that manfield is struggling with their financials maybe they are looking to increase revenue streams from training.

Kickaha
27th September 2008, 11:00

The original a boring track, the add on presented a few additional challenges which made it a lot more interesting

cowpoos
27th September 2008, 11:56
The original a boring track, the add on presented a few additional challenges which made it a lot more interesting

Its only boring because youy and fatty anan's trike is slow and your both to fat!!

racer40
27th September 2008, 12:37
come on Cowpoos, kickaha & Anan arent that fat in the sidecar world, but slow, well maybe. I to like the extended track but only been on it twice, pity not used more but if no one hires it then maybe they have to look at other things

slimjim
27th September 2008, 14:02
come on Cowpoos, kickaha & Anan arent that fat in the sidecar world, but slow, well maybe. I to like the extended track but only been on it twice, pity not used more but if no one hires it then maybe they have to look at other things

:whistle::hug:

Kickaha
27th September 2008, 17:03
Its only boring because youy and fatty anan's trike is slow and your both to fat!!

nah, the arguments against the long circuit seem to be the same as against Taupo, oh no there's to many corners and we'll get to tired riding around it on our big bikes, lets stick with the track where HP is more important than riding ability :bleh:

come on Cowpoos, kickaha & Anan arent that fat in the sidecar world,

Compared to Pig both me and Divvo are anorexic

kickingzebra
28th September 2008, 19:14
yeah, that 4th/5th gear left hander is just such a slow corner... whinging nanas...
That section is mint, spectators can't see a damn thing anyway, so who cares?? it is a minter, and I love it.

Grub
28th September 2008, 20:24
Sketchy Racer will NOT be pleased ... he was a legend there last month when he won the SuperSport race on his GP250.

David slew the Goliaths and it was beautiful to watch ... but could only happen with all those loverly non-cambered corners :first:

Kickaha
28th September 2008, 21:11
David slew the Goliaths and it was beautiful to watch ... but could only happen with all those loverly non-cambered corners :first:

A good 250GP bike should be able to beat them on pretty much any track
most of the 250GP bikes are going considerably slower now they they did in the days of big class numbers

eelracing
28th September 2008, 21:17
Another quote from the same article mentions Burkharts bike was faster on the straights,but Skachill had the advantage under braking and through the corners.
It almost brings a tear to this old two strokers eye.
Admittedly the track was wet but to take away the extension would take away these great battles.Surely more corners in a track has gotta be good for bikes.

DEATH_INC.
28th September 2008, 21:18
Bugger, I was hoping to get back down there one day when they were running the full track......instead of the glorified hp fest that the short track is :no:

CHOPPA
28th September 2008, 21:27
I didnt like the long track at all but it was flooded the only time i rode it so it prob not real fair..... As far as glen he was superfast in the wet i dont think even the short track would have made too much difference

Cleve
28th September 2008, 21:33
yeah, that 4th/5th gear left hander is just such a slow corner... whinging nanas...
That section is mint, spectators can't see a damn thing anyway, so who cares?? it is a minter, and I love it.

Damn right Jono. Is a sad indictment on NZ racing. Manfield for the Nationals SHOULD be the long circuit. It is an embarrasment that we have it there and yet when international riders come for the Nationals we don't use it.
(and yes that fast left hander with with crack/bump is a huge thrill)

Kickaha
28th September 2008, 21:51
Why doesn't it get used more often, is it the track hire charge? the amount of extra marshalls needed?

We ran it in the 250 Superkarts a few years ago at a Vic club round, it's a lot more fun than the original track

F5 Dave
29th September 2008, 15:51
My limited understanding is they built the new section (ages ago) & then made it unpopular by charging silly amounts of money to use it. Rumour also says that Toymotor helped pay for it for testing which is why it is all flat like roads.

Dunno but it is good bucket track, was kinda interesting on my 750, that 2nd rhdr is a brake like crazy & throw it on its side kinda deal.

Deano
29th September 2008, 19:45
Damn damn damn. That sucks. Variety is the spice and the back section added that.

sidecar bob
29th September 2008, 20:31
it's a lot more fun than the original track

Theres your answer, It was too much FUN so of course it had to go.

scrivy
29th September 2008, 20:35
Its only boring because you and fatty anan's trike is slow and your both to fat!!
Oh I love a good thread that takes the piss out of the fat, slow, pie eating homos from the South Island
nah, the arguments against the long circuit seem to be the same as against Taupo, oh no there's to many corners and we'll get to tired riding around it on our big bikes, lets stick with the track where HP is more important than riding ability :bleh:
Now, where have I heard that before??..........:eek:

Compared to Pig both me and Divvo are anorexic
Well true, but then again, Pig aint batting for the other team like you and Divvo......
Damn right Jono. Is a sad indictment on NZ racing. Manfield for the Nationals SHOULD be the long circuit. It is an embarrasment that we have it there and yet when international riders come for the Nationals we don't use it.
(and yes that fast left hander with with crack/bump is a huge thrill)

Since the full circuits inception in '93? I only raced on it twice. Damn shame, as it was a great addition to the boring full throttle circuit. Those off/no camber corners were a great test in the wet!!

scrivy
29th September 2008, 20:38
Variety is the spice and the back section added that.

Shhhhhh, Kickaha will bar up if you talk about the back section too much...:whistle:

wharfy
29th September 2008, 21:30
I have only ridden it once - it was pissing down and I got a puncture so it didn't turn me on.
I don't think the short track is boring, after every race on it I have come back with an adrenaline tremor in my hands and a grin on my face. If they can raise some money from the extension hire I hope they spend it on re-surfacing the old track.