PDA

View Full Version : South Island 2005 (the recce)

Paul in NZ
27th January 2005, 14:47
Ok.

As a result of a very long story involving plans falling through and planned rides unravelling. Vicki and I are to do a quick 'top o the south' ride first weekend in March.

We have decided on the route and booked country pub accomodation.

Route is.

Day 1 - Friday 4th March - 8am Lynx sailing to Picton.
Picton to Waiau (via the inland rd from Kaikoura and later the Leader Valley road and back because God made that road for motorcycles)

Accomodation at the Waiau lodge hotel ($60 a double) (03) 315 6003

Day 2 - Saturday 5th March
Waiau to Blackball via either the Lewis or (preferably) Arthurs Pass

Accomodation at Formerly the Blackball Hilton ($90 dinner bed and breakfast) (03) 732 4705

Day 3 - Sunday 6th March
Blackball to Picton via coast rd to Westport, Buller Gorge, Nelson Lakes and Blenhiem (maybe nelson if we feel like it)

7pm Lynx sailing north.

We will be riding at a leisurely pace, taking it easy and stopping for pictures, cafes and touristy places. If it's pissing down we will drop down to the rellies in ChCh and delay the trip home (we are taking monday off as well)

We have booked and are going. Dave (stonechucker) is thinking of joining us. If anyone is keen please PM me and make your own booking at the ferry and hotels.

Paul N

k14
27th January 2005, 16:07
Make sure you meet up with all the chch kbers (including me by then).

Hope you have a good trip.

Paul in NZ
27th January 2005, 16:50
Make sure you meet up with all the chch kbers (including me by then).

Hope you have a good trip.

We are hoping to avoid ChCh because it would take us 3 days to get out of the place (by the time we visit all the rellies)

Paul N

Ms Piggy
27th January 2005, 16:57
We are hoping to avoid ChCh because it would take us 3 days to get out of the place (by the time we visit all the rellies)

Paul N
You could sneak into Rangiora - I'm sure Kickaha would be more than happy to put you up there.

Kickaha
27th January 2005, 19:23
You could sneak into Rangiora - I'm sure Kickaha would be more than happy to put you up there.

Yeah could do,your rellies dont have to know

Day 1 - Friday 4th March - 8am Lynx sailing to Picton.
Picton to Waiau (via the inland rd from Kaikoura and later the Leader Valley road and back because God made that road for motorcycles)

ah yes that'll be the road we managed to write three bikes off on by throwing them at the front of a van on our side of the road

might have to take a few days off about that time and tag along for a bit

Paul in NZ
27th January 2005, 20:25
Sounds a grand plan!

Keep in touch closer to the time as weather will play it's part.

We are having a holiday and will be in touristy gawping mode (even though we used to live there) and stopping every 3 feet to snap piccies while wearing loud clothes and constantly saying 'gee we sure don't have that at home' n stuff like that.

Paul N

Hitcher
27th January 2005, 21:18
Bastards! I'm jealous.

LB
28th January 2005, 04:48
Can't join you guys sorry, we'll be at Pukekohe for the racing - we cross over to the Sth Island on the 5.30pm sailing on Monday 6th.

StoneChucker
28th January 2005, 12:14
Look like I can make it, unless something else requiring money comes up... Will book tickets, and confirm later Paul. Just a side thought: If I book, they are non-refundable, so are you sure on those dates?

Thanks,
Dave.

Paul in NZ
28th January 2005, 18:27
Look like I can make it, unless something else requiring money comes up... Will book tickets, and confirm later Paul. Just a side thought: If I book, they are non-refundable, so are you sure on those dates?

Thanks,
Dave.

8am Lynx friday 4th March wellie to picton

7pm Lynx sunday 6th March picton to wellie

You can change them before check in but might have to up grade.

Possibility we may change the return to a day later as my brother has just had a serious climbing accident. His mate (I went to school with him) might not make it but it should be resolved either way by then. Bad business!

Paul N

StoneChucker
28th January 2005, 23:13
8am Lynx friday 4th March wellie to picton

7pm Lynx sunday 6th March picton to wellie

You can change them before check in but might have to up grade.

Possibility we may change the return to a day later as my brother has just had a serious climbing accident. His mate (I went to school with him) might not make it but it should be resolved either way by then. Bad business!

Paul N
Sorry to hear about that Paul, hope all goes well... Regarding the tickets, the cheapest ones state that you can't change details after you've booked and paid. Also, as f*ing murphy would have it, the night of my last post, I managed to do something that requires, wait you guessed it, more money :ar15: BUT....... even so, I'm still looking at coming, so will let you know in Feb sometime.

This is a funny business, life is
Hope your brother is ok, and your mate too if he pulls through :disapint:
Dave.

toads
29th January 2005, 07:50
sorry to hear of your brother and friends accident Paul, this month has been a shocker for us in our small community too, horrific accidents and so on, so my thoughts and prayers are with you, I hope you get to do your trip, and here's hoping your mate pulls through ok and your brother suffers no long term damage also, cheers L

Paul in NZ
29th January 2005, 08:19
Thanks

Climbing is a bit like biking. You can push the boundaries but every now and then they snap back at you. Motorcyclists understand this!

This is a terrible thing that has happened. My bro is OK but our thoughts are with his companion and his family. Just remember folks. Bad things can happen to the nicest people. Treasure the times you have while you have them...

Paul N

StoneChucker
3rd February 2005, 10:41
I shall be attending :Punk: Arriving in Picton on Thursday 3 March. Only 1 month to go :)

sels1
3rd February 2005, 10:49
Sorry to hear about your brother and his friend, Paul.
Interested in ride but would have to leave it to last minute before deciding and take chance on ferry/accom.

Paul in NZ
3rd February 2005, 10:58
Sorry to hear about your brother and his friend, Paul.
Interested in ride but would have to leave it to last minute before deciding and take chance on ferry/accom.

Stoney and the Mangells are going over the night before. Should be a relaxed ride. Ideal for a 2 up one now than someone has all the gears...

Paul N

TygerTung
3rd February 2005, 11:15
How much does it cost to take a bike on the ferry?

StoneChucker
3rd February 2005, 11:22
How much does it cost to take a bike on the ferry?

$65 one way ($130 return) including:
1 Adult and 1 motorcycle on each leg of the journey.

If you're planning on coming, I'd suggest booking relatively soon. Some sailings are $75 each way, but you can choose which ones / times / ships you want. It's really simple: www.interislander.co.nz

Thinking of coming along?

*EDIT* $30 each way if you travel alone with no vehicle ($60 return). I think...

dangerous
3rd February 2005, 18:00
shit, shit, shit....... just read through the thread and figgered hell yes, either stay in BBH or ride with you guys to the coast then return.............. but I just checked the calander and what ya know.......... its the March Hare Rally w/e, :crazy:

Paul in NZ
3rd February 2005, 20:06
shit, shit, shit....... just read through the thread and figgered hell yes, either stay in BBH or ride with you guys to the coast then return.............. but I just checked the calander and what ya know.......... its the March Hare Rally w/e, :crazy:

BUM!

If I'd figured that out we could have blimmin gone (if I could figure out how to carry tents, bedding etc as well as the 3 hair dryers and the 6 pairs of jeans) Whats that dear (thump) owwww! (mad cow) ow owww

Oh well. Next time.

(so thats why the ferry filled up so fast)

Paul and Vicki

Ya know one day a rally organiser will twig it would be cool to arrange a courier run too and from a rally site for tents and shit.

gav
6th February 2005, 16:19
You wouldnt be the first that gets their stuff dropped at a gate by van, while riding with little or no gear.

StoneChucker
22nd February 2005, 20:20
As time draws near for the recce mission, I've finally bought some luggage for the "tourer". It's the Ventura system, L Bracket, Pack-Rack and a grab rail (for when I'm not using luggage). I decided to go with the RJays Bag, instead of the Ventura one. RJays make a 87 litre bag, where Ventura's largest is 56. The RJays is also collapsable in various configurations, to make your own desired size...

So, I figure I've got more than enough room, and I won't have to ride with an annoying back pack on! Also, by my fuzzy logic, taking into account volume occupied by the cylindrical shape of cans, I can take 50-55 litres of beer on the recce! :done:

It was a little expensive all up, but it will be even mroe use for the rally in April.

scumdog
22nd February 2005, 20:29
BUM!

If I'd figured that out we could have blimmin gone (if I could figure out how to carry tents, bedding etc as well as the 3 hair dryers and the 6 pairs of jeans) Whats that dear (thump) owwww! (mad cow) ow owww

Oh well. Next time.

(so thats why the ferry filled up so fast)

Paul and Vicki

Ya know one day a rally organiser will twig it would be cool to arrange a courier run too and from a rally site for tents and shit.

Done that - couriered gear to the nearest pub or whatever ( arrange it with them first) and then couriered it back, makes it SO much easier to travel and still you have the comforts you want when you get there. :niceone:

LB
23rd February 2005, 04:28
Also, by my fuzzy logic, taking into account volume occupied by the cylindrical shape of cans, I can take 50-55 litres of beer on the recce! :done:

If you take 55 litres of beer in the pack I would suggest that you:

(a) strengthen the pack frame;

(b) ride very carefully as you will no doubt find it will handle somewhat differently with all that weight up high; and

(c) will be the most popular boy on the ride

Paul in NZ
23rd February 2005, 05:16
If you take 55 litres of beer in the pack I would suggest that you:

(a) strengthen the pack frame;

(b) ride very carefully as you will no doubt find it will handle somewhat differently with all that weight up high; and

(c) will be the most popular boy on the ride

If he can drink 55 lt of beer his logic will become very fuzzy.

Hitcher
23rd February 2005, 09:27
So, I figure I've got more than enough room, and I won't have to ride with an annoying back pack on! Also, by my fuzzy logic, taking into account volume occupied by the cylindrical shape of cans, I can take 50-55 litres of beer on the recce!

It was a little expensive all up, but it will be even mroe use for the rally in April.
And the Rjays pack has got a great built-in rain cover. After all, there's nothing worse than wet beer...

StoneChucker
23rd February 2005, 11:46
And the Rjays pack has got a great built-in rain cover. After all, there's nothing worse than wet beer...
Aye! Like VB for example?