PDA

View Full Version : Cleanliness is next to Godliness

curious george
10th September 2003, 13:45
OK, figured after a few years it was time to wash the leathers.

Flies, mossies and road crap BEGONE!

Yes, out damn spot and all that......:Offtopic:

I was wondering if tjere is anything especially recommended, or avoided?

Motomail sell some special leather stuff for before and after, any good?

Or just in the washtub and cold power?

Thankyouverymucha

George

Coldkiwi
10th September 2003, 17:24
i think hot soapy water is ok and then just wax them up real good when ya done and they're dry

Lee Rusty
10th September 2003, 18:47
soapy water and washing machine is ok

drying is the key - dont hang up the leather will stretch due to the weight - lay out flat to dry something like a car bonnet or verandah - keep turning them over so they dont dry quickly and go hard. dry outside but not in direct sunlight

Coldkiwi
11th September 2003, 12:24
washing machine!? dunno.. you could get some nasty stains out of the leather doing that if its coloured. you'd need to remove all the armour to I'd think if you were going to machine it (if thats possible on the your dainese's george) . I'd rate hand washing as the safest way. good point about hanging it up lee... of course, you'll never find a hanger strong enough to string up a wet one piece suit! I have trouble enough hanging up mine when its dry.

curious george
11th September 2003, 15:07
Let the cleaning begin!

Choice, thanks guys, will smell of roses soon.

I really thought KK would have had some good advice though??KK?:p

Coldkiwi
11th September 2003, 18:06
you want hygiene advice from a westie?? dude... have a lie down before you hurt yourself!

Redstar
11th September 2003, 21:23
washing leather? I never even considered it was possible?
I thought that leather gets really stuffed up If you wash it?
I might try it.
I just wipe it down and dubbin it.

merv
11th September 2003, 22:22
You know I'm old already so you can guess I still wear leather moto-x trousers (1975 vintage - they have lasted) on my dirtbike and I have always washed them with water using a car washbrush as they get very muddy. Works a treat, just don't expect to wear them straight away as they do take a while to dry. I then dress them up with that liquid nugget stuff you can buy at the supermarket which I am sure is cheaper than Mothers polish or something like that. I tried Dubbin and Snoseal but they are all too hard to apply, so the liquid nugget is easy but won't waterproof them to the same extent. The solution to that is wear your Warehouse yellow plastic overtrou - classy huh and I am sure it would meet favour with Westies if not the Parnell set.

Check out these pics from 1992 http://bikemerv.topcities.com/adventure0101.html

Same leather gear 11 years later and still going strong with more of a puku to deal with though http://bikemerv.topcities.com/adventure0204.html

babyB
11th September 2003, 22:23
there's know way youll see me put leathers in the washer!!!!usually the inside of the leathers are un treated so to speak, so chances are thell turn into a surfboard.

wipe down the outside of ya leathers with warm water, use a mild detirgent or leather soap. wipe of /rinse with warm water. then condition them. The inside can be washed if lining comes out, use a can of drycling fluid from supermarket.

even better still ill clean ya leathers for you!!!!

Get Your Leathers On Track

I'll Rejuvinate your leathers. Cleaning and Reviving. Minor scratches/scuffs? it is possible to return your leathers to their former glory. message me. very resanable prices. & i will be at Track Time

Firefight
12th September 2003, 06:56
Fark:argh: What ever you do, don't stick em in a washing machine, all the other tips are good, dry them out of sun if possible, I have ducted a low temp blow heater for mine, put heaps of dubin/or sim when there dry & prefarably still slightly warm, should come up a treat, may also be a good time to consider Baby B's offer, have heard she does a great job.

good luck, firefight:rockon:

Firefight
12th September 2003, 07:00
PS, you must have a Farkin big washing machine, Ia'm not sure my leathers would even fit in a washing machine, and if they did , they would prob fuc#in wreck it, not good, money spent on fixing domestic applainces is money not available to spend on bikes etc

firefight:rockon:

Coldkiwi
12th September 2003, 17:24
I've used a punnet of beeswax for all my leathers and its worked pretty well. So long as you warm them a bit first, it goes fine and keeps them looking good. Warming drawer of the oven is great or hairdryer if the g/f or flatties are around and are sensitive to the use of the oven as a leather prep. centre).

MikeL
12th September 2003, 20:45
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
Warming drawer of the oven is great or hairdryer if the g/f or flatties are around and are sensitive to the use of the oven as a leather prep. centre).

Can anyone (probably female) explain why my wife got upset when I put my boots in the oven?? Seemed to me to be a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

babyB
12th September 2003, 22:18
Hay guys....if ya have to resort to hairdryers, heaters and god forbid, ovens you are using too much water (unles your doing a full revive)

as for the oven:gob:it will dry up your leathers, the same way it dryes up ya spuds when your late home.   Mike  evere thought to offer to clean the oven too:D(smelly feet smelly oven)....laffs couse me petrol tank is sitting on the kitchen table at moment

thanks fire, i do

Coldkiwi
13th September 2003, 16:26
not to dry them babyB, I used it on low to warm them so I can rub the wax in. as you know, it don't work if they're cold!

Big Dog
13th September 2003, 16:59
any thoughts on gekko guard?

SPman
13th September 2003, 19:15
Originally posted by Big Dog
any thoughts on gekko guard?

Is that something to prevent Gekko infestation of your leathers?  :)

bluninja
13th September 2003, 20:48
No problem cleaning leathers (had lots of practice after the mud at manfeild) but how do you get the scratches out of knee sliders??:rolleyes:

TTFN

MikeL
13th September 2003, 21:48
Who says I've got smelly feet? :p
I just used the oven once, when I had got back from Whangarei in pouring rain the whole way and the water was actually sloshing in my boots.
And yes, I have cleaned the oven on more than one occasion (I'm the original SNAG and I know how important the odd token gesture is).
:D

Big Dog
13th September 2003, 22:42
Originally posted by SPman
Is that something to prevent Gekko infestation of your leathers?  :)

Cleaner / waterproofing agent, supposedly chem free and biodegradable. supposedly good for leather or cordura, just wondering if anyone has actually used it. Bike shop recc usually as valuable as a three dollar bill and all.:confused:

Coldkiwi
15th September 2003, 12:30
gekko guard? that'd be my parents cat. Gekko and skink control method # 1!!

Kwaka-Kid
15th September 2003, 14:25
lean? cean? cclleeaann? what is this c-l-e-a-n you speak of? dont be daft george, did god not bless you with a mother?

Firstly i didnt know you could clean leathers?.. haha, no really, erm, well not full on washing, i know there are spray on products etc... i dunno, i just take all my shit (hah and thats prolly what it smells like!) round to mothers house and say "oi mum, just come to say hello, but i got heaps to do" and leave them at the doorstep on my way out... come back a few days later and the female-magic has been worked upon them...

might try and do this clean thing with my leathers now... i heard to go to a horse saddle place and get some leather products etc as its gunna be cheaper then any bike shop.

What?
16th September 2003, 09:59
Your are on to it, KK. Lyddiard'ws glycerine soap is the gear for cleaning soiled leathers. Use minimal water for the scrub, then rinse clean and dry in the shade. After all that, dress the leather with Snoseal, Beeseal or similar - it's all bees wax, just different names. Put leathers in car in sun to warm up and help soak the wax in.:done:

Coldkiwi
16th September 2003, 18:40
horse stuff cheaper than bike stuff? don't bet on it KK! running a horse ain't cheap.

yeah.. the suns the best... if you are in fact lucky enough to have some when you're doing it! normally i remember at night or on a dark wet day when I realise just how wet I'd be if I was out riding in unwaxed gear!

as for stretching leather that is too tight, try this one (gleened from a knowledgeable leather expert who does all my gear mods/repairs):

pour boiling water over the leather and as soon as it is cooled enough to wear, put it on and go sit in the position you ride in (heck, go for a short ride and help it dry). the boiling water helps soften the leather so it'll stretch where it needs to.

MikeL
16th September 2003, 23:15
That's all very helpful info about cleaning the outside. Now what about the lining? I've worn my leather pants every day now for, um, four months...
Is that why people are avoiding me???
Short of taking the lining out, what's the recommended cleaning procedure?

Big Dog
17th September 2003, 18:08
Originally posted by MikeL
That's all very helpful info about cleaning the outside. Now what about the lining? I've worn my leather pants every day now for, um, four months...
Is that why people are avoiding me???
Short of taking the lining out, what's the recommended cleaning procedure?
My old leathers came up a beaut by turning them inside out and applying saddle soap with a dish brush. But then sunlight soap worked just as well at a third the price.

just make sure the last of the drying happens the right way out or they sit funny afterwards.:confused:

Coldkiwi
18th September 2003, 13:31
so much information... such a great site! cheers for asking my next question mike!

bungbung
2nd March 2004, 13:44
MikeL, CK,

Have either of you found an answer to the lining washing question?

I have wkids old 2 piece suit now. He very smelly.

Unfortunatley the lining is not the removeable type.

wkid_one
2nd March 2004, 14:26
Smelly?? You heathen........

Do they fit? - they a nice set of leathers......you will need new knee sliders soon tho.....

Kwaka-Kid
2nd March 2004, 14:45
just as you will need a new bench grinding wheel soon aye wicked :P hehe! (just a friendly dig, but i know you can and do do it :D)

bungbung
2nd March 2004, 14:49
old cigars and sweat eh? I came back from a ride and Lisa sniffs me an tells me to have a shower!

......you will need new knee sliders soon tho.....

no no, the sliders have that racing look. Some people on this board would pay money for them...

they fit well, they must have been a bit flappy on you though?

babyB
2nd March 2004, 18:03
:wavey: aw guys im still round to help

New Life 4 Leathers

I'll Rejuvinate your leathers. Cleaning and Reviving. Minor scratches/scuffs? it is possible to return your leathers to their former glory. message me. very resanable prices. & i hoping to be at Taupo on 28th march

Kwaka-Kid
2nd March 2004, 20:52
:wavey: aw guys im still round to help

New Life 4 Leathers

I'll Rejuvinate your leathers. Cleaning and Reviving. Minor scratches/scuffs? it is possible to return your leathers to their former glory. message me. very resanable prices. & i hoping to be at Taupo on 28th march
Taupo?! Awesome! hope to see you there BabyB!.

Hey Maybe you should consider getting them revived bungbung, i can say out of experience she does a really mint job!