PDA

View Full Version : KTM race mods

Quasievil
30th September 2008, 15:26
Hi guys, as my other thread said I got whipped at manfield, in my defence not in the infeild or other corners, here I made ground, but in the straights i got owned.
Talking to some other KTM exc riders they said my bike (a SMR supermoto racer) should be whipping them, now these guys have done lots of work o the gear and they are not a EXC anymore rather a purpose built race bike.

They suggested I cut n gut out the pipe and put a 50 mm perf tube in there as well as a new air filter and get it re jetted.

Also they suggested I re gear the bike, its now on a 15 front and a 40 rer.

Im loosing about 5 secs a lap with this gearing on the full Manfeild track, I want to go bac and whip some arse, I know I can !

So im wanting your thoughts please.

am I on the right path ?

also Ive attached a gearing excel tool to show you where Im at, I loaded it with as much info as I can (not knowing everything, but think I got it fairly right

so let loose tell me what you think.

thanks

Blackbuell
30th September 2008, 15:55
If you can try 15/39,i would take a range of sprockets with you for the various tracks

SeppoDave
30th September 2008, 19:27
Hey Quasi

I don't know if you remember the 4th session at Taupo on 29th August, but you and I and Aero165 were three abreast(hehe) down the back straight. And I don't know if you remember this either, but I was slowly running you both down.

I am running 14/45, and was maxing out (gps verified) at 175kph. It seems that your tall gearing might not be letting your bike rev out. I put together a chart on http://www.gearingcommander.com with my ratios and tyre size and it's pretty accurate. It shows that theoretically I should hit 177 at 9000rpm, about right (allowing that I have no tacho). If I input 15/40, I should be hitting 213kph, but I'll bet it would never rev to 9000 with those sprockets.

I have considered going to 14/42, which should get me to 190 if will pull those gears. I might try it on 31 Oct.

Food for thought?

Dave

quallman1234
1st October 2008, 20:58
Get a 125:shifty::Offtopic:.

Seriously tho, i would take a bunch along with me too the next race. Copy what ever one else is doing and see what happens.
Getting on the gas early is also something too practice, as i might not be only your gearing.

-Kyle

SeppoDave
3rd October 2008, 05:05
Another thought about your exhaust...

Have you had the end off your muffler? Does it look like this?

In stock form, the s-bend of the muffler tip was pointed at the small perforated disc bit in the second pic. The exhaust had to make a couple of "u-turns" to get out. I ended up cutting most of that bend off, allowing a fairly straight exhaust path. The reduction in back pressure would likely have reduced bottom-end power, but I intend to use the bike in motard form most of the time, so breathing better at the top-end is what we're after.

Dave

Quasievil
3rd October 2008, 07:39
I havent had the end off , but I took the can off and sent it in to COBY mufflers who are going to run a 50mm perf pipr right through, then Im getting a new Air Filter and will get the bike re jetted etc to get it running right, with that I should be faster top end without sacrificing to much bottom end.
will see how it goes

Aero165
3rd October 2008, 14:02
Here's the answer to your straight line speed issue:laugh:

Mikkel
14th October 2008, 22:34
If you want straight line speed I'd recommend a zx10r :p

Pisstakes aside - perhaps a cam upgrade or work on the internals is necessary to get you where you want.
Also, how good are you at "minimising your profile"? Look, I'm not calling anyone fat here - I'm just saying that tucking in, in the right way, is essential :D