PDA

View Full Version : Expansion chamber fix kit crap!

Conquiztador
30th September 2008, 18:07
Not bike related, but could be. Have a car with an radiator expansion chamber out of plastic that has a crack in it where water leaks out. Have not managed to find a replacement so decided to fix. Was gonna use Araldite, but at Supercheap found this kit with a piece of fibreglass and resin that apperently was the one to use. The resin is all black and the kit is from memory just over $20 (sorry, can't remember the name, but will check up tomorrow and post the name).

Anyhow, followed instructions to 100%. Said only needed a few hours to cure, but left for 3 days just in case.

Today re-fitted and went for a test. The patch started to leak when motor got warm and ripped and pulled off. The resin did not, as I was expecting, get hard as the plastic, but is rubbery. There is no chance to mix it wrong as the bag the resin is inside also has the hardener inside and you mix them without openng the bag.

Don't buy!

Back to the Araldite idea.

Motu
30th September 2008, 19:13
Sounds like a Euro style expansion tank with system pressure,rather than the Japanese system of just an expansion tank after the cap.I've used epoxy,and also the Kneadit type as well.....both work,but won't admit doing it in case a past customer presses charges.

I have a kit called Qbond - it is a powder,and you use a liquid like superglue to set it.Goes rock hard instantly,and can work on such as you have.But it won't flex - and I think that will be your problem.The tank flexes under presure,lifting off the repair.Go the epoxy route.

Conquiztador
30th September 2008, 19:49
Sounds like a Euro style expansion tank with system pressure,rather than the Japanese system of just an expansion tank after the cap.I've used epoxy,and also the Kneadit type as well.....both work,but won't admit doing it in case a past customer presses charges.

I have a kit called Qbond - it is a powder,and you use a liquid like superglue to set it.Goes rock hard instantly,and can work on such as you have.But it won't flex - and I think that will be your problem.The tank flexes under presure,lifting off the repair.Go the epoxy route.

Cheers. Will do.