PDA

View Full Version : FXR/GSXR rear wheel conversion?

Pumba
1st October 2008, 13:05
Ok quick question cause I am pretty sure a few of you out there have done this.

Shot down the road to SAECO today to get the bearings that would fit the GSXR rim and the FXR axle to be told they dont make the larger bearing I need, 42mm OD, 17mm ID.

Any one else have this issue? And what did you do to solve it?

Will try some other places but the next race meeting is sneaking up on me and I wouldnt be suprised if I got the same answer rom some other suppliers.

SHELRACING
1st October 2008, 13:18
Pumba, give john connor a call, I think it was him that fitted the gsxr wheels to Time Frasers bike.

Failing that, I just had the same problem with the Delta. I got the bearing to fit the axle, making sure it was a bigger o/d than the Hub (not smaller) Then had the whell machined out to take the bearing. Cost me $85 including the bearings.

Oh, and by the way don't be limited to what Saeco has to offer. There are many bearing suppliers around. Especially in Auckland.

Ok quick question cause I am pretty sure a few of you out there have done this.

Shot down the road to SAECO today to get the bearings that would fit the GSXR rim and the FXR axle to be told they dont make the larger bearing I need, 42mm OD, 17mm ID.

Any one else have this issue? And what did you do to solve it?

Will try some other places but the next race meeting is sneaking up on me and I wouldnt be suprised if I got the same answer rom some other suppliers.

Kickaha
1st October 2008, 13:21
I had my wheel machined, but if you pm Buddha#81 he found a bearing somewhere that was the right size

Buddha#81
1st October 2008, 14:33
I had my wheel machined, but if you pm Buddha#81 he found a bearing somewhere that was the right size

Wilson Bro's here in Christchurch found me a open automotive styled (gearbox, no seals for oil lubed) bearing (17mm/42mm) and i machined the spacer with a step to accept a standard seal (21/42mm from memory)to run outside the bearing to protect it, I then machined 12mm off the disc carrier. The MotoFXR sprocket carrier is used.....and you're good to go.

I got sick of trying to find someone to take the 12mm off the rim for the brake disc so I jammed it in the lathe at work with the three jaw chuck in the rubber coush drive recess's and spun it down myself..........I manage to get it right but you would stuff the wheel if it goes wrong or have a pulsing rear brake.

PM me if you have any questions.

Pumba
1st October 2008, 20:32
Thanks guys, I have been out in the shed since I got home form work tonight looking at different ways that it could be done.

Have had a talk with the old man who has a greater selection of tools to me and access to a lathe so I think a trip to pay him a visit this weekend may be in order.

Buckets4Me
1st October 2008, 20:41
looks like you are getting the bike sorted

Pumba
1st October 2008, 20:47
looks like you are getting the bike sorted

Yea probally a bit quicker than I intended, just need to get the rider sorted now and it would be all good:laugh:

Buckets4Me
1st October 2008, 20:57
A tip for you then

DONT loie down on the track :jerry:

pitty I dont listen to myself to much :doh:

Pumba
1st October 2008, 21:01
A tip for you then

DONT loie down on the track :jerry:

pitty I dont listen to myself to much :doh:

Yea, really messes with your lap times.

Another lesson I learnt last meet,

Slicks are good, but they still cant handle a handfull of front brake while going round a corner, while being on one of those damm painted concrete ripple strips:doh:

Pumba
2nd October 2008, 20:04
Hey want to throw somthing out there, has any one considered swaping the swingarms between the GSXR and and the FXR. I need to make a few more measurements to see if it may work, but I think it may be close(ish)

Kickaha
2nd October 2008, 22:06
Hey want to throw somthing out there, has any one considered swaping the swingarms between the GSXR and and the FXR.

Yes, I considered it when I had my FXR but didn't think there would be much advantage

Buckets4Me
3rd October 2008, 11:50
other than not having to find bearing you cant seem to find :clap:

it's a different way of getting around the problem :rolleyes: of making the rear weel fit the fxr frame
just make the swingarm fit instead

Pumba
3rd October 2008, 11:56
it's a different way of getting around the problem :rolleyes: of making the rear weel fit the fxr frame
just make the swingarm fit instead

Yea that was basicly my thought in quite moment of contemplation in the shed last night

Buckets4Me
3rd October 2008, 14:02
watever you do you have 1 more meating before the 2 hour

cant belive it's been a year already

Pumba
6th October 2008, 12:03
Well after a bit of effort on the weekend I managed to get it all fitted up, will have to take some pictures tonight.

In the end we (yes many minds make lighter work) decide to use the GSXR axle and rear bake caliper. We turned down some spacers to beef up the GSXR axle where it passed through the FXR swing arm, and machied about 3mm off the rear caliper mount, a few spacers on the axle to make up for it being slightly longer (will cut this down eventually but ran out of time on the weekend) and then welded a lug on to the botom of the swingarm for the caliper to bolt to to stop rotation movement.

Looking at what we had avaliable we decided this was the best way cause it didnt invovle any machining on the wheel, therfore reducing the chance of it all turning to shit.

Pumba
6th October 2008, 20:59
Few photos

Dont show a hell of a lot but you get the idea

Slingshot
6th October 2008, 21:23
Few photos

Dont show a hell of a lot but you get the idea

Looks good, got any photos of the sprocket carrier side?

That's where my challenge is at the moment and I need some inspiration.

Buddha#81
7th October 2008, 00:55
I'm keeping an eye out for a GSXR front (if one comes up at the right price) what did you do to make that fit?

Pumba
7th October 2008, 07:08

The sprocket carrier was easy, just used the FXR carier, which is exactly the same overall depth as the GSXR carrier just the sprocket sits further in ont the FXR, with the GSXR spacer, cause its got the right ID dimension.

hope that makes sense, will get a photo tonight for ya.

I'm keeping an eye out for a GSXR front (if one comes up at the right price) what did you do to make that fit?

Front end was real easy, the GSXR stearing stem uses the same headstock bearings as the FXR (well the 88 model does anyway) and is long enough just to bolt straight up:done:

Yea I took a bit of a gamble and brought an entire bike minus the engine to get the wheels (for the right money of course), didnt know at that stage that the entire front end would be transplantable, it has turend out to be quite a good buy.

diesel pig
7th October 2008, 17:35
Front end was real easy, the GSXR stearing stem uses the same headstock bearings as the FXR (well the 88 model does anyway) and is long enough just to bolt straight up:done:

Yea I took a bit of a gamble and brought an entire bike minus the engine to get the wheels (for the right money of course), didnt know at that stage that the entire front end would be transplantable, it has turend out to be quite a good buy.

What a tinarse!

Pumba
7th October 2008, 19:58

Photos as requested, as I said, nothing to special.

What a tinarse!

Yea once in while you have to get lucky

Pumba
12th October 2008, 20:15
Well the conversion had its first outing in anger today, and holly shit what a difference this has made to the bike!!!!!!

I had thought that the wheels may have been a little wide for the kart track so didnt really know or think that there impact would have been that great but holly shit if you get the opurtunity then this mod is well worth the effort that is required.

gav
18th October 2008, 08:00
Do you know if the 88 and 89 model GSXR250's have the same stem and forks?

Pumba
18th October 2008, 18:13
Do you know if the 88 and 89 model GSXR250's have the same stem and forks?

As far as I am aware, I have been having look at a few photos online and they look like the have the same front braking set up which to me indicatates the same forks. I have read that the only change between the 89 and 88 was the 89 had a 18 inch rear wheel.

gav
19th October 2008, 05:40
Cool, thanks!

gav
28th October 2008, 23:02
Well, can confirm that a 89 GSXR250 stem will slot straight into FXR frame. My top clamp came with an ignition key setup that I'm gonna use so had to grind off a bit from the steering stem, so the top clamp would slide down.