PDA

View Full Version : My 7yo's B'thday pressy

Conquiztador
2nd October 2008, 21:50
Thanks to all that helped with the zd90 I bought.

For those that have no idea: My then 6yo wants to ride motox. Badly. But the bike I had for him was not up to it (a 90cc with clutch, his hand is not strong enuf to pull the clutch), so I was looking for something that he could use and get some more experience on before I have to spend the $1,5K on a 50cc KTM.

I found this chink zd90 that had no compression. But it has a 3 gear box with no clutch. Got it for $120. After some checking I realised that all it needed was a set of rings. The motor is a chink copy of a Honda CT90. But when I went to the local Honda shop they lost interest when I told them it was a Chinese thingy. After some chatting on here and help, I ended up contacting Econo Honda. I sent them the piston and 3 days later I had it all back with a set of CT 90 rings. All up $54.

I got some more help here re how to gap the rings properly as they were overlapping. In the end I just did the "fuck it, close will be fine" and filed them down. Including the oil rings.

All sorted for today, my sons B'thday. OK, so the thing smokes a little. But I am hoping that as the rings settle it will be sorted. If not, so what? The idea is to get him to use gears and get comfy at a little speed with a heavier bike. This thing has a 3 gear box w/o clutch. And almost impossible to find neautral. But thats what U get for the small change.

I just wanted to thank the ones who have given me input as I have sorted this. Thanks guys! I have a very happy 7yo. Apart from the bike I gave him a helmet and goggles today. And when he is at his mums this w/e he will get a set of those fancy see through body armours and a set of xboots.

Maan...why did I not have parents like this!!!

nudemetalz
2nd October 2008, 21:56
Awesome, Dude !!!! :Punk:

He looks so happy !!

Slyer
2nd October 2008, 22:01
He's a lucky kid!

soundbeltfarm
3rd October 2008, 07:36
sweet, the next RC maybe

Al
3rd October 2008, 13:23
Well done!
I think your boy appreciates everything you are doing for him too.... A lot of youngsters miss out because parents don't give a damm!
:2thumbsup
Keep it going and you will have a champ to look after!

Al

Motu
3rd October 2008, 17:26
The poor kid - all this says in big letters is - ''My dad is so poor and such a tight arse that I have to ride this instead of a real bike''.All his mates will have brand new competitive bikes and all the real gear.

But building a bike for your kid shows love in square mouth shovel fulls,he knows you've put in some real effort to get him on that bike.Don't fall off that pedistal man....could be a little high I think.

I'm building my youngest an SL70 - it's a real Motu bike,built from parts scrounged around.The motor is a 4 speed with clutch,a genuine SS50 engine...makes more power than the SL70,it's a real screamer.I've got 70cc engines in 3 speed auto and 4 speed clutch....but no piston.It's getting closer....repairing the exhaust when I feel like it.Lucky my kids are patient.

Quailboy
3rd October 2008, 17:31
Good stuff!!

He'll be ripping wheelies and stoppies before you know it!

dino3310
3rd October 2008, 17:45
nice one bro, can just imagine his smile after the first ride on it.

davebullet
4th October 2008, 06:34
Kids do appreciate the stuff their parents make or build for them more than bought stuff. That is relationship building. When your young man grows up, you'll be close for life. He's a lucky (and happy looking) young fella!

Conquiztador
4th October 2008, 22:32
Thanks for the positive commenst guys.

And Motu: None of his school mates have a bike. And he already has two...

From my 4 boys he is the competetive one. He HATES loosing in anything. And he will practice until he has it sorted. A month ago he wanted one of those new S-boards. (A skateborad with only two wheels). I got him one and I tried it. No way to stay on that thing and so I was thinking: "Great, another one day wonder". 2 days later he was using it and now when at the skate park all the bigger kids are watcing him in amazement as they ca't use it.

He and his brothers are with their mum this w/e. He rings me and says: "Dad, can I come home as I need to practise with the bike..." Give him a few years and who knows?

CookMySock
5th October 2008, 07:16
Maan...why did I not have parents like this!!!Yeah I know what you're saying. I try to get my kids everything. After I sold their jetboat we bought roadbikes and pocketbikes and they were pretty stoked with that. Yesterday the kid (14) crashed her B1 racebike - stuck throttle! So shes pretty sore, but bumps and bruises galore to skite about, hehe.

So congrats to the little fella, and to Dad as well.

Steve