PDA

View Full Version : Ugly sticker

Quailboy
3rd October 2008, 16:12
Theres this ugly sticker with Japanese writing on (pics below) right smack bang on top of the fuel tank on my CBR250RR and it needs to go.

Its really sticky and hard so can't be peeled off.

So I was wondering what to use to get it off- adhesive remover, terps etc????

Cheers fellas

slofox
3rd October 2008, 16:17
Theres this ugly sticker with Japanese writing on (pics below) right smack bang on top of the fuel tank on my CBR250RR and it needs to go.

Its really sticky and hard so can't be peeled off.

So I was wondering what to use to get it off- adhesive remover, terps etc????

Cheers fellas

Hmmmm this sorta stuff can be a bu99er to get off...try isopropyl alcohol for a start - can be got at a pharmacy. Just go easy til you check it out on the paintwork - don't wanna spoil ya finish.....

Maha
3rd October 2008, 16:20
Yeah wouldn't use Turps...
I would pour boiling water on a rag and lay that on top of the sticker first off.
That should reactivate the adhesive enough to at least peel it off...
You will be left with a sticky residue, repeat the process and you should be able to rub the left over adhesive off with your fingers..
Once that has been cleaned off (best you can) I found cutting compound the best shit to get how you want it...

R6_kid
3rd October 2008, 16:21
kerosene and matches.

MSTRS
3rd October 2008, 16:26
Use a hair dryer to heat it up. Then pick at a corner with your nails and gently peel the whole thing off.
To get rid of the glue residue - use Prepsol or some similar degreaser (eucalyptus oil works well).
DO NOT USE IPA - it can affect the paint. Makes the surface go cloudy.
From the look of that sticker, it is cracked from old age...? If so, you may be forced to scrap it off with a razor blade/stanley blade paint scraper

Quailboy
3rd October 2008, 17:35
Okay so boiling water and hair-dryer doesn't work.

I will try the former when I get some isopropyl.

Thanks for the help.

stanko
3rd October 2008, 17:49
Angle grinder will get it off, or just put a nicer label over it

Owl
3rd October 2008, 18:08
Do you know any spraypainters or panelbeaters up your way? They may have a tool called an MBX which will remove those stickers in seconds, as long as your tank is steel. It's a bit like someone doing a burnout on your tank, but on a much smaller scale!:laugh:

Owl
3rd October 2008, 18:11
Just so you know I'm not talking shit!

MBX