PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake set-up...

AlBundy
4th October 2008, 12:37
Okay, being a relative newb to motards, I have a few issues with the position of the rear brake lever.

I understand it is in a higher position due to the nature of trail bikes, where standing is part of the style and rear brake access is still required.

So, with that said, how many guys that ride motards adjust their rear brake levers down for a more conventional set-up, or leave it high?

I personally find it easy as hell to slide the rear but it's not as controlled between left or right corners, or even consistent. Is it something one gets used to, having to 'float' the leg when applying the rear brake?

For example: I find it really easy to do long sliding drifts into right hand corners. I can only assume since I'm weighting the outside peg, it takes some of the pressure off the right foot, which means less pressure on the brake.
For left bends however, I find since I'm trying to weight the right peg, I tend to be stomping on the rear brake more. So, instead of having nice controlled slides, it's more a full-on skid...

Thanks, any discussion would be most helpful.

Edit: Yes, I know of the slipping the clutch technique but haven't developed enough to be able to use it.... Not on the road anyway...

Quasievil
4th October 2008, 12:44
mine is 1 inch below the footpeg.
Also I got advise not to use racing pads as they are to grippy, so in the rear I use basic street pads and race ones in the front.

I got all this info from a DVD by a leading Motard racer in the USA, so if its good for him its certainly good for me

AlBundy
4th October 2008, 12:50
mine is 1 inch below the footpeg.
Also I got advise not to use racing pads as they are to grippy, so in the rear I use basic street pads and race ones in the front.

I got all this info from a DVD by a leading Motard racer in the USA, so if its good for him its certainly good for me

So, your lever is probably more conventional then Quasi? Where it feels comfortable to use it in a seated position....

Devil
4th October 2008, 20:15
You dont use the brake to slide it into the corners, thats all clutch. It's inviting disaster to use the brake...

Adjust it down so it's comfortable to you, and easy to reach.
I moved mine down because it was just a pain in the arse where it was, even when standing!

Use it plenty on the gravel and dirt.

AlBundy
4th October 2008, 23:41
Thanks...

I did have a look.

The rod-end on the rear brake is actually in all the way. I'll have to shorten the rod somewhere... Either on the end where it pushes the piston, or the threaded end...

Devil
5th October 2008, 12:11
Thanks...

I did have a look.

The rod-end on the rear brake is actually in all the way. I'll have to shorten the rod somewhere... Either on the end where it pushes the piston, or the threaded end...

Double check it, it looked very much like that on mine too, but managed to get it down a bit further without anything too drastic. It's right at the end of it's adjustment.
If it's not far enough, you might be able to take the rod off and get rid of one of the lock nuts which might give you a bit more thread to play with.

Quasievil
6th October 2008, 10:45
Thanks...

I did have a look.

Possibly you need new pads then ?
Also check the fluids.

Careful with putting the foot brake lever to far down, the adjusting bolt for the peg (not the brake master cylinder) can slip of the "stop"

GaZBur
6th October 2008, 11:05
...Also I got advise not to use racing pads as they are to grippy, so in the rear I use basic street pads and race ones in the front...
That is a damn good tip thanks! Pads just replaced with that tip in mind. I set the pedal so if I am wearing MX boots which are rigid withou much feel (On the short Kart track and Gravel races) a real hard stomp forward will only just lock it up. On long tracks road race boots give heaps more feel and control on the back brake also. It surprises me the number of people who say they never use the back brake at all, with the power my bike makes braking is about the only place I get to pass them. Coming out of fast sweepers try full throttle and medium rear brake, settles the back down and helps keep the line tighter, don't know how it works exactly - it just does? Maybe it drops the COG of the back end, does anyone know?

AlBundy
6th October 2008, 13:59
Coming out of fast sweepers try full throttle and medium rear brake, settles the back down and helps keep the line tighter, don't know how it works exactly - it just does? Maybe it drops the COG of the back end, does anyone know?

I've heard of people using this technique before...

Should be an interesting discussion...

Thanks for the other tips, will be having a look at the options....

t3mp0r4ry nzr
8th October 2008, 14:30
practice makes perfect!
through practice you wll get the feel for using the back brake. You really need to conscienciously use the brake pedal to intiate a slide. I find just plain on stomping on the brake pedal works, holding just long enough for the back to step out and to tighten the line into a turn, release, backing it right in to the turn then gas it to pick the slide up (and so the back doesnt swap ends with the front). Again, you just gotta think about what your doing and what you want to do. I do this cos a 125cc 2 stroke doesnt have back torque! it will come with practice.

standard height pedal works fine when you are used to it. works really well when you want to stomp the pedal so you can put alot of weight on it!

kezzafish
8th October 2008, 21:07
heaps of interesting stuff here. The only bikes i had ever ridden was dirt bikes till ten months ago when i bought the DRZ. My riding style on dirt has always been quite tidy (not meaning to be arrogant but mean to say.. i'm more comfortable that way than being wild and loose). I try to scrub off speed in a straight line and carry as much as i can through the corner and spend 90% of my time standing so on my dirt bike my brake lever is level with the peg. When i came to riding on the road my only backing it in was with the throttle (so more like backing it out!) but after watching a few u tube vids i've picked up on the rear braking technique but it scares me shitless, it seems you need to be going quick in order to have a more settled bike? and as has been mentioned you need to be back on the gas quick before she pulls up and bucks you off? anyway, to answer the question. I've maxxed the adjustment downward and still want more, am nervous about cutting and welding the lever because a replacement lever from suzuki is over $300. I'd like to go for a ride with a skilled motarder just to get these ideas cleared up, i think that's the easier way to learn as i've already come off the bike 4 times and she's looking pretty second hand already but that's the only other way to learn aye!!

AlBundy
9th October 2008, 02:33
heaps of interesting stuff here. The only bikes i had ever ridden was dirt bikes till ten months ago when i bought the DRZ. My riding style on dirt has always been quite tidy (not meaning to be arrogant but mean to say.. i'm more comfortable that way than being wild and loose). I try to scrub off speed in a straight line and carry as much as i can through the corner and spend 90% of my time standing so on my dirt bike my brake lever is level with the peg. When i came to riding on the road my only backing it in was with the throttle (so more like backing it out!) but after watching a few u tube vids i've picked up on the rear braking technique but it scares me shitless, it seems you need to be going quick in order to have a more settled bike? and as has been mentioned you need to be back on the gas quick before she pulls up and bucks you off? anyway, to answer the question. I've maxxed the adjustment downward and still want more, am nervous about cutting and welding the lever because a replacement lever from suzuki is over $300. I'd like to go for a ride with a skilled motarder just to get these ideas cleared up, i think that's the easier way to learn as i've already come off the bike 4 times and she's looking pretty second hand already but that's the only other way to learn aye!!

There are a couple of motard guys in Welly... Some of them race buckets too. Fi5hy has a vid in the buckets section. He'll probably know a few more guys too...

orangeback
9th October 2008, 07:05
this mag http://www.supermotoracer.com/ has a artical on how to set them up for you motard , you can buy them from moto works in chch http://www.motoworks.co.nz/ if you cant get a copy ill scan it in for you

AlBundy
9th October 2008, 14:24
this mag http://www.supermotoracer.com/ has a artical on how to set them up for you motard , you can buy them from moto works in chch http://www.motoworks.co.nz/ if you cant get a copy ill scan it in for you

Thanks for that.

Bought one from them through Trademe....

kezzafish
9th October 2008, 19:06
awesome, cheers orangeback. that mag is cool aye. and i've emailed that shop for prices

kezzafish
9th October 2008, 19:07
There are a couple of motard guys in Welly... Some of them race buckets too. Fi5hy has a vid in the buckets section. He'll probably know a few more guys too...
cheers, i'll have a look

AlBundy
13th October 2008, 00:00
By the way...

Thanks Devil... Again... I did have another look at the rod-end of the rear brake. I had to hold the shaft with a pliers since it was tighter than the first half of the threads....

Never really got to ride it. I left home and found the rear wheel to be half flat. So stopped at the garage and came back home.... (Damn garage though, air was full of water, so every time I check the pressure, water comes out...)

Must be a very slow puncture, since the wheel has retained it's pressure over the last few hours of me monitoring it....