PDA

View Full Version : Discount for cash

DonaldH
28th January 2005, 14:11
Moved here from the UK (married a kiwi) and being Scottish I have never paid full price for a new bike but I am not quite sure how things work here.

Looking to buy a GXR750 or CB600RR. In the UK would expect about 10-15% for a hard haggle. Does anyone have some experience with dealers here do they discount?

Deano
28th January 2005, 14:22
Does anyone have some experience with dealers here do they discount?

A Ducati 900SS sat in the shop for several months at $12,999 after I first test rode it. When it came down to $11,999 I went in and ended up getting it for $11,500. I don't know if they would have let it go for that when it was at the earlier price though, which would have been about an 11% discount for cash.

White trash
28th January 2005, 14:41
Buy a used bike and you'll be able to negotiate a bit, probably not 10-15% but a bit.

New bikes are a different story.

New Suzukis for example, don't expect much....

Blackbird
28th January 2005, 14:42
I got nearly $2000 off my Blackbird for cash from what Cyclespot wanted. Mind you, it was overpriced and I knew it had been in the showroom for at least 3 months.

vifferman
28th January 2005, 15:19
I got nearly $2000 off my Blackbird for cash from what Cyclespot wanted. Mind you, it was overpriced and I knew it had been in the showroom for at least 3 months.
:ar15: .. :angry2:.. :angry2:.. :ar15:.. :bash:

magnum
30th January 2005, 20:35
heelo and welcome :rockon:

Biff
1st February 2005, 13:05
Welcome fellow Celt. :wavey:

:ar15: .. :angry2:.. :angry2:.. :ar15:.. :bash:

Doth the Viffemran wish he bought a Bird instead of his VFR prey tell?
Hoorah, and thrice hoorah. He hath been convertedeth.

A wise decision, If for no other reason than being able to say," My Bird is sexy and goes like a rocket" without some over zealous feminist buring her bra in your underpants.

Blackbird
1st February 2005, 13:43
Nooooo....

I think he has a problem with Cyclespot, like a lot of other people. A friend recently had his 'bird rebuilt there and it sounds like things haven't changed much :angry:

Wellyman
1st February 2005, 13:45
Nooooo....

I think he has a problem with Cyclespot, like a lot of other people. A friend recently had his 'bird rebuilt there and it sounds like things haven't changed much :angry:
I have brought a few things of cyclespot and have not had a problem with them. Oh and welcome to the site.

Blackbird
1st February 2005, 13:52
I've always had excellent service from their parts and sales people, which is a bit different from the tales about their workshop. I've heard, but can't confirm that Bluewing Honda has withdrawn their official service workshop status.

Biff
1st February 2005, 13:56
Nooooo....

shhhhhhhh - he'll come back soon, claim I'm talking guff and waffle on about Vifferrarri's V4 vrooms and such like. It's really nice to see him get so excited.

Dodgyiti
2nd February 2005, 07:33
Welcome to the site,
And cash talks the same language in any country,
Push hard, and see where you get, you can always back off.
My secret for good discounts is to sell you current bike privately, so you don't bug them with a trade in, but have cash instead.
And the best time is of course- in the middle of winter when it has been raining for the last 4 Saterdays in a row.
Did that last year buying 2 bikes and got 10% off each for cash [ and being cheeky] :)

crashe
4th February 2005, 20:01
Kia ora Welcome to New Zealand.

All the best wheeling and dealing with the bike dealers here...

I guess if you have the cash, then money will talk... up to a certain amount, especially on a brand new bike and even on a second hand bike...

Take care on our roads, as they will be a lot different to the ones that you have been riding on overseas.

DonaldH
19th February 2005, 16:47
Just to close the thread - got the bike :niceone: GSXR750K5 for a substantial discount. Money does talk...

As a foot note I did get shouted out by a sales guy at Holeshot Takapuna for failing to call him quickly enough confirming that I was not accepting his offer on a K4. Did try but his phone was engaged. He offered a bloody good price but it was probably because he has had the K4 in the showroom for over four months. I guess I won't be going there for my next Suzuki. :angry2:

Cyclespot by the way were bloody good. I didn't end up with the Honda CB600RR but they gave me a test ride and the guy in there, Grant, gave a spin on his personal fireblade. I would buy my next bike there.

marty
19th February 2005, 16:53
is it a coincidence that the first posting by the scotsman is asking how to save $$$$??

Riff Raff
19th February 2005, 18:31
Just to close the thread - got the bike :niceone: GSXR750K5
:2thumbsup: We'll look forward to seeing you on it on a KB ride soon then!

wari
19th February 2005, 20:28
WEll done ... :spudwave:

TAke care ... theresa 22.76% chance of droppinit inda ferst week of ownership ... :moon:

nzrf
2nd December 2006, 06:26
how do - i am just in the process of buying a TLR1000 off grant at cyclespot, and i have found him brilliant to deal with! - even though i live in chch, he is sorting everything for me - bloody good job, really happy, just my 2 cents - cheers:Punk:

ynot slow
6th December 2006, 17:59
i went into a N.Plymouth dealer on a sat morning,after seeing honda750 on the net via bikesite and ringing friday to check if it would be ok,as was out back,needed a ride etc,and open for offers was$4000,after ride and bearing in mind it was 1986 or so and they had offers on it,me the cheap prick said $3000 cash,nope as the boys had let rego lapse and needed to be vinned,would have taken it for $4000 if they had of given me say $1000 worth of gear as clothes have huge margin( i worked in clothing industry),sad to say it's still there.