PDA

View Full Version : Can't start the 1980 yamaha tt250

road king
5th October 2008, 15:17
ok, so i thought i might try my hand at a we bit of off road motorcycling for shits and giggles, so i got my hand on this 1980 tt250. its just had a engin rebild and the guy i got it off said he had it running but it was a bitch to start.

he wasnt wrong, i cant get it to start
its got spark, fuel and air. i tried using some "start ya bastard" to no avail, took the plug out and sprayed some in there, it just spat and kicked back:crazy:

anyone got any ideas???

Pedrostt500
5th October 2008, 15:28
Could be a few things, try a new plug, also check the timing, if the motor has been apart the timing could be out, get the CDI checked, also the coil and ht lead, it may have spark but not enough to fire her up. also pul the carb down and give it a good clean. its just a case of working through every thing mehodicaly, and not jumping to to many possibilities. start with the easy and basics.

road king
5th October 2008, 16:46
i start pulling things apart and ill never get it back together again, think i mite just have to take it to a shop

Katman
5th October 2008, 16:54
I'd be checking the cam timing.

road king
5th October 2008, 17:02
I'd be checking the cam timing.

how do i do that?

Katman
5th October 2008, 17:18
how do i do that?

See post #3.

Wired1
5th October 2008, 21:02
I've had a few of these and rebuilt a few and they are a pretty simple motor. If it has been running then I doubt the cam chain is out of alignment and it isn;t that common to need a new cdi as they are solid state devices. The capacitors in any 1980's bike cdi are always going to be suspect but again, if it has been running then I would ignore the cdi and if it has spark I would assume the coil is right too.
The only thing left then is the a dirty carb (assuming it has been running that is!). I have had bikes that get gummed up if they sit for too long and then won't start. The carb is fairly straight forward and can be cleaned without a manual if you are methodical but if you are a bit nervous then get yourself a workshop manual and a can of carb cleaner and have a crack at it. Lay it out carefully on a clean table and keep the parts in the same order and laid out as they need to go back on. Don't remove any of the jets, just blast them with carb cleaner, slide the slide thing up and blow that sucker out, and squirt each opening you find - they all lead somewhere and all should be open. It will cost you most of $100 at least for the bike shop to do this so a manual for $60 and a can of carb cleaner at $18 is a bargain - plus you can do it again next time for free!
Of course if the previous owner was bullshitting you and it wasn't running then you have a whole lot of possibilities ... :)

avgas
5th October 2008, 21:22
are you actually kicking it through compression?
"Pah PAH pah" - must have 3 beats from 1 kick
or are you just hacking it like axe?

smudge
5th October 2008, 21:22
Most likely to be the carb as Wired said or the ignition timing is out or there is air leaking into the inlet side of the carb.

road king
5th October 2008, 21:43
are you actually kicking it through compression?
"Pah PAH pah" - must have 3 beats from 1 kick
or are you just hacking it like axe?

umm, kinda mixing it up, trying a few slow ish, 3 beats per kick sounds about right, then i just get frusterated and jump on the fucker hard and fast. never realy had to kick start a bike before so yea, i was kinda wondering if i was doing it wrong???

slimjim
6th October 2008, 08:12
so it won't crash start either.....?

Katman
6th October 2008, 08:20
Why is it unlikely to be the cam timing?

If the motor has just been rebuilt (and has been difficult to start since then) it is quite possible that the timing is a tooth out.

road king
6th October 2008, 15:44
so it won't crash start either.....?

havnt tried that yet, wating for my flatmate to come home so he can give me a push

smudge
6th October 2008, 22:13
to be fair I've never tried to start a bike with the cam timing out, but if it is hard to start because of that I would think it is most unlikely to run fine. Easy to check though.

Katman
7th October 2008, 07:26
I don't recall the original poster saying it runs "fine".

Most engines will 'run' with the cam timing a tooth out - if you can get them started.

mouldy
7th October 2008, 14:19
umm, kinda mixing it up, trying a few slow ish, 3 beats per kick sounds about right, then i just get frusterated and jump on the fucker hard and fast. never realy had to kick start a bike before so yea, i was kinda wondering if i was doing it wrong???

To kick start a 4 stroke single you must bring the piston just past tdc and then give it a decent boot , repeat this process until it starts and be thankful it has decomp

smudge
7th October 2008, 22:13
fair enough, I must have invented the 'fine' thing... hehehehe, it pays to read carefully.

Wired1
8th October 2008, 07:28
I'd like to know for sure that it actually was running. I think it probably would run if it was one tooth out but it would be bloody hard to start. If it was more than a tooth out there might be some other issues to look forward to! Get a manual, it will show you how to check wether it is or not.

G-spot
9th October 2008, 20:07
Hi, the timing may be out if the engine has been rebuilt. A common cause is that it may have been set to fire on the exhaust stroke instead of the intake stroke. I have seen this done on many Yamaha TT500s before and its simple to fix.
Make sure you replace the spark plug after reseting the timing because the old one will be filled with carbon and it will be sparking across the plug instead of upwards/downwards. If the timing is sweet then its highly likely your carb bro.

road king
22nd October 2008, 17:53
ok, so we tried push starting. still woudnt start. im no mechanic, dont have the patience. so ive taken it to my favorite bike shop this morning. hopefully wont be to long before i can get out there and have a play

slimjim
27th October 2008, 09:53
what's the shop found..?

road king
30th October 2008, 20:06
what's the shop found..?

umm, the timing was out by a tooth, had low compresion. they managed to get it running on eathinol, but it wasin running right, and they dont no why:bash: