PDA

View Full Version : Enter Scrivy's endurance race, you bunch of softcocks!

jrandom
6th October 2008, 07:42
Monday 29 December 2008.

Scrivy's booked the Taupo A1GP circuit for the day, and he's running a 1-hour race for the 'juniors' (< 600cc) and a 3-hour race for the 'seniors' (everything else).

$120 to enter the junior race, $250 to enter the senior. Plus two or three tanks of gas and however much rubber you go through.

I know you all spend that much every month on your Belgian lagers and homosexual takeout coffees, so don't try to tell me you can't afford it.

This isn't a balls-out sprint race, so if you have a shit lap you can recover from it, and it's not a trackday, so you don't have to be polite to anyone. You won't get the opportunity to do this sort of thing very often.

I'm doing it on my GSX1400, and I might manage 1:50 laps on a very good day with a tailwind down the back straight, so being slow is no excuse for not being there.

Here's the thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=79008). You don't have to pay until 1 Nov - PM sidecar bob ASAP if you can confirm your entry now.

It'll be a real shame if not enough riders enter by 1 Nov and scrivy has to cancel the whole thing.

Hitcher
6th October 2008, 08:03
Ooh, err. 29 December, you say. Hmmm.

An Old Fart on a sports tourer could be interested in something like that. Three hours at full noise may even require a fuel stop...

Shaun
6th October 2008, 08:07
Please Please, any one with a MNZ license enter this meeting!!!

Scrivvy is tyring very hard to make some changes and improvements, if WE do not support him, how can WE expect him to support us?

Im Entered!

Hitcher
6th October 2008, 08:14
So is a MNZ license mandatory for this event?

jrandom
6th October 2008, 08:17

You can get a licence for the day for $10 or so, I believe.

And I think a lot of people might be surprised at how well a smoothly-ridden FJR1300 could do at an event like this.

:yes:

Also note, folks, that you don't have to do it alone - teams of two riders can enter, just pootle through into pit lane and swap riders as desired during the race.

Shaun
6th October 2008, 08:17

A Day license is OK 100%
Guaranteed

roogazza
6th October 2008, 08:27
When this race was announced, KB had all these so called racers saying yeah , yeah we'll do it ! So what's happened my little KB'ers all talk are we ?
Gaz. :laugh:

Hitcher
6th October 2008, 08:31
Please excuse my noobyness...

A $10 day license is procured how? What bureaucracy is involved in getting one?

jrandom
6th October 2008, 08:34

Bring your $10 note along on the day and scrivy will have the paperwork waiting for you (http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/download/ONE_EVENT_LICENCE_FAQS1.pdf).

Edit: It might be $20... or $15?

Duke girl
6th October 2008, 08:39
My understanding of a Day Licence is $30 per event.

icekiwi
6th October 2008, 08:53
Is that 600cc and under or up to 600cc
Can I do the hour race on my ZX6RR?

Grub
6th October 2008, 08:56

There is one priviso, you need to be a member of a motorcycle club affilliated to Motorcycling NZ (like Vic Club, $35 sub - see the following bureaucrats: Treasurer [Me], the sec [Nasty] or the Race Sec [Duke Girl]).

You then just roll up to the track and purchase a $30 day licence (assuming scrivvy has purchased a book of them)

NighthawkNZ
6th October 2008, 08:58
Three hours at full noise may even require a fuel stop...

at full noise for three hrs I would require 4 fuel stops... :doh:

sidecar bob
6th October 2008, 09:01
My understanding of a Day Licence is $30 per event.

While most clubs will charge you $30, Scrivy only wants $15 in this case, 100% confirmed.

sidecar bob
6th October 2008, 09:04
There is one priviso, you need to be a member of a motorcycle club affilliated to Motorcycling NZ (like Vic Club, $35 sub - see the Treasurer [Me], the sec [Nasty] or the Race Sec [Duke Girl]).

You then just roll up to the track and purchase a $30 day licence (assuming scrivvy has purchased a book of them)

You can purchase a membership to the NZ Sidecar racing association on the day for $5, so that will cover that little issue, Total cost of licencing for the day $20

Grub
6th October 2008, 09:05
You can purchase a membership to the NZ Sidecar racing association on the day for $5, so that will cover that little issue, Total cost of licencing for the day $20

Cheapskates ... :)

Robert Taylor
6th October 2008, 10:38
The reality is that this meeting is so close to the commencement of the NZ champs that there will likely be many riders making a choice. ''Do I wear out equipment so close to the champs''. Im not taking a position on this, but its a no brainer that people will be thinking exactly that....

jrandom
6th October 2008, 10:44
Im not taking a position on this, but its a no brainer that people will be thinking exactly that....

And that might be why the general idea is to get people who aren't doing the nats to come out of the woodwork.

I think scrivy's looking for people who just like having fun on racetracks and aren't really that bothered about shaving tenths of seconds off lap times and carefully planning the usage of their season's worth of expensive slicks.

Certainly a serious three-hour endurance race conducted on an F1 or F2 bike from the pointy end of the field would be an expensive proposition, but I don't think that that's really what this event has to be all about.

There's nothing to stop Joe Bloggs with his 1989 FZR600 from coming along and having a good old play, and if he can lay down consistent laps without falling off or blowing up his bike, he might even have a chance of doing well in the race, too.

enigma51
6th October 2008, 10:48
Please Please, any one with a MNZ license enter this meeting!!!

Scrivvy is tyring very hard to make some changes and improvements, if WE do not support him, how can WE expect him to support us?

Im Entered!

Can i have dibs on being your team mate. :jerry:

At least you'l give people the chance of winning.

enigma51
6th October 2008, 10:49
And that might be why the general idea is to get people who aren't doing the nats to come out of the woodwork.

I think scrivy's looking for people who just like having fun on racetracks and aren't really that bothered about shaving tenths of seconds off lap times and carefully planning the usage of their season's worth of expensive slicks.

Certainly a serious three-hour endurance race conducted on an F1 or F2 bike from the pointy end of the field would be an expensive proposition, but I don't think that that's really what this event has to be all about.

There's nothing to stop Joe Bloggs with his 1989 FZR600 from coming along and having a good old play, and if he can lay down consistent laps without falling off or blowing up his bike, he might even have a chance of doing well in the race, too.

Fuck off talk for yourself if i enter im there to win nothing less. <_<

jrandom
6th October 2008, 10:54
Fuck off talk for yourself if i enter im there to win

Bring it, sunshine, it is a race after all.

:girlfight:

kiwifruit
6th October 2008, 10:54
Is that 600cc and under or up to 600cc
Can I do the hour race on my ZX6RR?

I believe 600s are in the senior class (3hour). I'm hoping i will be allowed to race a '89 FZR600 with the F3 class (in the junior - hour race) as a pre89 post classic

Scrivy?

jrandom
6th October 2008, 11:04
I believe 600s are in the senior class (3hour). I'm hoping i will be allowed to race a '89 FZR600 with the F3 class (in the junior - hour race) as a pre89 post classic

The ZX6RRs have an engine displacement of 599ccs.

sidecar bob
6th October 2008, 11:05

Damn right there. Scrivy is interested in people after his own heart that want to take an old pile of well prepared crap, beat it up & get a big grin going on.

kiwifruit
6th October 2008, 11:33
The ZX6RRs have an engine displacement of 599ccs.

There is some confusion around which class they are to race in, I'm sure Mr Scrivener will be along shortly

Skunk
6th October 2008, 11:34
I'm not too sure about riding my 100cc in the same class as 600cc's... Otherwise I'd be in.

kiwifruit
6th October 2008, 11:35
As far as i understand 600s are in the senior race

Robert Taylor
6th October 2008, 11:36

I hear what other people are saying and the intent is on the face of it admirable. But does that mean if any of the really fast National level riders enter ( with their support infrastructure ) will they be viewed with in effect a level of contempt?
I understand that racing is about being as competitive as possible as well as being enjoyable. In the end event people will make up their own minds. But I do think the timing is in some ways unfortunate as those who are competing in the Nationals will weigh up whether to compete or not because of the reason stated in my first post. Perhaps that is one compelling reason why this thread started in the first instance, lack of entries?
I dont wish to start an argument, I just felt I was stating the obvious.

jrandom
6th October 2008, 11:45
I hear what other people are saying and the intent is on the face of it admirable. But does that mean if any of the really fast National level riders enter ( with their support infrastructure ) will they be viewed with in effect a level of contempt?

Hell no. It'd be great to have some Fast (tm) guys out there. It's always educational to watch them ride up close. And I'm sure everyone who enters will be mindful of the need to hold their line and maintain situational awareness on the track.

Fact is, I think, if the Nats-level guys enter, they'll be doing it because they fancy a three-hour track session and think it'd be a fun day out, not because it's an important race meeting that they need the points from. So everyone will be approaching it from the same perspective.

timing is in some ways unfortunate... Nationals

For racers doing the Nats, perhaps. But for the rest of us, it's a couple of days after Wanganui and we're gagging for some action, the roads all over the NI are crawling with cops and holidaymakers, and we've got some downtime before we go and get trashed over the New Year.

Perfect timing.

Hitcher
6th October 2008, 11:48
at full noise for three hrs I would require 4 fuel stops...
Cool! That's about the only way I'm likely to claw laps back...

R6_kid
6th October 2008, 11:55

Or bin (tm) ????

jrandom
6th October 2008, 11:57
I'm not too sure about riding my 100cc in the same class as 600cc's...

Personally, I think that would be both awesome and hilarious.

sidecar bob
6th October 2008, 12:04
I understand that racing is about being as competitive as possible as well as being enjoyable. In the end event people will make up their own minds. But I do think the timing is in some ways unfortunate as those who are competing in the Nationals will weigh up whether to compete or not because of the reason stated in my first post. Perhaps that is one compelling reason why this thread started in the first instance, lack of entries?
I dont wish to start an argument, I just felt I was stating the obvious.

Simple, if you want to race, then race, if you dont want to, then dont.
It may be surprising for some people to learn that not everyone that enjoys racing a bike competes in the nationals.

Skunk
6th October 2008, 12:05
Personally, I think that would be both awesome and hilarious.
It's the danger of being hit from behind on the straights I'm worried about. I have no worries about passing them on the corners! :laugh:

jrandom
6th October 2008, 12:11
It's the danger of being hit from behind on the straights I'm worried about.

I think you'd be sweet. There are heaps of great passing spots all the way through turns 3-8 at Taupo if you've got power to spare over the 'passee', and visibility coming onto the back straight is just fine.

They'd have to be actually homicidal to take you out, IMHO...

Just do et au!

:D

Hitcher
6th October 2008, 12:17
It may be surprising for some people to learn that not everyone that enjoys racing a bike competes in the nationals.

As long as everybody who gets involved clearly understands the nature of the event, and not get snotty about the relative speeds of others on the circuit, then all should be well. I promise not to get miffed at being overtaken at a gazillion kilometres and hour, if the quick guys promise not to get pissed off at some old fat guy riding around on a whale. I know that in participating I am in no danger of winning. My sole reason for entering would be in order to ride really fast around a circuit for three whole hours and to be part of a body of like-minded people.

Shaun
6th October 2008, 12:19
Can i have dibs on being your team mate. :jerry:

At least you'l give people the chance of winning.

Thanks for the compliment BUT

I am teamed up already with a rider and bike

Shaun
6th October 2008, 12:20

Exactually- Go take a look at the winter series grid of Vic Club- Huge feilds, with bugger all National riders there

Rashika
6th October 2008, 12:51

yeah agreed, I'd say 80% of the people I race with DONT compete in the nationals due to no appropriate classes or money or both. I so wish I could race in the endurance event, tis great fun out on the track for an hour on a bucket, tho the Elsie would be much more comfy.

But not this year for me, someone might object if they got done over by a heavily pregnant chick (even I might have an issue at that stage), tho wee Rossi is happy as racing on the bikes. :Punk:

But I reckon all you dudes who claim to be awesome racers (the actual non race-track types i am aiming this at) need to get off ya chuffs and get involved. It will be an awesome way to get some major track time, even if you just meander around, and after an hour or so i believe you will be glad to get off the track! ;)

jrandom
6th October 2008, 13:03
.. after an hour or so i believe you will be glad to get off the track! ;)

:yes:

Personally, I'm hoping that the training I'm doing for Round Taupo, which is a month beforehand, will get me in reasonably appropriate shape for three hours of race pace on a motorcycle.

But we'll see, eh?

Duke girl
6th October 2008, 14:56
Scrivy has such a big heart on him and with times tuff like they are its good to see that he is only charging $15 for a day licence. Good on ya Scrivy, Your a Legend.

enigma51
6th October 2008, 15:00
Or bin (tm) ????

It works for troy bayliss

Clivoris
6th October 2008, 15:06
I WILL be there if I have a bike. But that is a work in progress at the moment. My kids are looking forward to camping at the track.

Goblin
6th October 2008, 15:21
Scrivy has such a big heart on him and with times tuff like they are its good to see that he is only charging $15 for a day licence. Good on ya Scrivy, Your a Legend.+1
Good onya scrivy!

sidecar bob
6th October 2008, 15:28
Scrivy has such a big heart on him and with times tuff like they are its good to see that he is only charging $15 for a day licence. Good on ya Scrivy, Your a Legend.

And the cool part is that his values havent changed since i first met him aged 15.

sinfull
6th October 2008, 16:28
As long as everybody who gets involved clearly understands the nature of the event, and not get snotty about the relative speeds of others on the circuit, then all should be well. I promise not to get miffed at being overtaken at a gazillion kilometres and hour, if the quick guys promise not to get pissed off at some old fat guy riding around on a whale. I know that in participating I am in no danger of winning. My sole reason for entering would be in order to ride really fast around a circuit for three whole hours and to be part of a body of like-minded people.
+ 1 on the that ! Feck me, i'd be keen to go hard till i cramped up !

I WILL be there if I have a bike. But that is a work in progress at the moment. My kids are looking forward to camping at the track. Camping ? Now that would put a whole new light on it !

And the cool part is that his values havent changed since i first met him aged 15.

Is the entry fee per rider or per bike ? Realise both would need race membership and day licence !
know full well i won't last the distance so may as well team up !
Whats the guts with bike set up ? Are we looking at race specs (ie wired sump etc and breathers collected) or track day regs (warrantable, good chain and tyres, taped glass)

racer40
6th October 2008, 17:26
just a note to verify a few things from the organisers. The entry fee is per bike, a licence must be held by each rider, & can be a day one for $15 , 1 day club membership is $5, 150 s/s, buckets are not allowed in the event sorry. The event is aimed at race bikes or track day bikes & will have to go through scrutineering to check on wired sumps & oil filters, no stands, no glass. although we have not set a gualifing time for the event we have to be safe for everyone, & if someone out there is just to slow or dangerous you will be pulled in, if you need more practise then you can race in clubmans the previous day to get up to speed. 600cc & over inc 597cc. We have let kiwifruits 600 into the 1 hour cause its pre 89. we want everyone to have fun & there is also some decent trophies up for grabs, we will try & answer questions asap, cheers chris

Wingnut
6th October 2008, 17:30
I wish it was a bit closer to home. Sounds like a bloody good time.

Is there any such endurance events in the pipeline in the South? I would be up for that.

Robert Taylor
6th October 2008, 17:34

Granted, the various winter series are testament to that fact.

jrandom
6th October 2008, 17:40
We have let kiwifruits 600 into the 1 hour cause its pre 89

Blatant favouritism! You do know he's just going to totally burgle it, eh?

:lol:

Still, thanks for leaving me my spare rider, punting the 1400 around for three hours nonstop on my own would have been pretty tiring...

sinfull
6th October 2008, 17:53
Cheers for that chris, guess that counts me out, unless a track bike falls into my lap before the end of this month !

Mental Trousers
6th October 2008, 18:24
Thanks for the compliment BUT

I am teamed up already with a rider and bike

You realize you're passing up on looking unbelievably fast because your teammate is 20+ seconds slower than you eh.

racer40
6th October 2008, 18:34
sinfull. what we are trying to get at is that road sports bikes are ok as long as the bits are taken of them, hope that clears the problem

Robert Taylor
6th October 2008, 20:57
If this meeting goes ahead we will likely be there with our refitted / rejuvenated service trailer to assist our loyal customers and to provide help for anyone else who asks.

scuzeme
7th October 2008, 17:16
Has anyone got some R6 rims they can lend/lease me for the 3hr..make tyre changing heaps easier.

BTW it would be criminal for this thing to falter due to a lack of entrants fingers crossed it goes ahead.
If you guys pondering need an incentive just think of the yarn spinning, shit throwing piss drinking session after the race :eek:

scrivy
7th October 2008, 17:47
If you guys pondering need an incentive just think of the yarn spinning, shit throwing piss drinking session after the race :eek:

....and that'll just be me talking shit to my kids ........;)

CHOPPA
7th October 2008, 17:50
Unfortunetly i cant race due mainly to funds and the fact that i have to head down south straight after, my team mate was gonna be johnny b and he is in the same situation

If anyone wants a team mate im available at no charge hahahaha

glice
7th October 2008, 18:47
sinfull. what we are trying to get at is that road sports bikes are ok as long as the bits are taken of them, hope that clears the problem

So whats the smallest/slowest bike that could be entered. And do we need a partner?

Genestho
7th October 2008, 19:20
Hey I just want to take the chance here to thank Scrivy for his hard work and all who are involved, and all who are willing and able, its a tough time of year with the holidays and alot of racing on plus times are very hard out there, I appreciate all efforts to get behind the message of awareness that this endurance sends.
Cheers Guys

Shaun
8th October 2008, 21:20
Has anyone got some R6 rims they can lend/lease me for the 3hr..make tyre changing heaps easier.

BTW it would be criminal for this thing to falter due to a lack of entrants fingers crossed it goes ahead.

F that, 3 hours ONE set No drama

jrandom
8th October 2008, 21:29

Hey, we're not all nanas on the throttle like you Shaun.

Gubb
8th October 2008, 21:41
Let me know if you need extra hands marshaling or whatnot. Sounds fun.

livewire
10th October 2008, 17:05
racers are soft can only handle 20 min races be good training 3hrs at full noise am i dead and gone to heaven grab a partner harden up this will be a real test be even better bragging rights to win

CHOPPA
10th October 2008, 17:52
racers are soft can only handle 20 min races be good training 3hrs at full noise am i dead and gone to heaven grab a partner harden up this will be a real test be even better bragging rights to win

just cause your partner is a multi world superbike champion!!

scrivy
10th October 2008, 18:53
grab a partner.....

WTF...... you'll be doe see doeing next........:wacko:

Take your partner by the hand............

Shaun
10th October 2008, 22:40
just cause your partner is a multi world superbike champion!!

Will he pass the Test tough that the Doctors do? If they do it?

Shaun
10th October 2008, 22:43
Hey, we're not all nanas on the throttle like you Shaun.

I know that dude, But are learning what stretch the cable means again:third:

scuzeme
11th October 2008, 06:43

Not if it starts raining mate i would like a spare set with wets on them just in case can anyone help me out???

vtec
14th October 2008, 13:41
Hahaha, the CBR250RR might do alright at this, won't need as much gas (pit stops) as the bigger bikes. I'm in :D

Or does anyone want a partner to do a stint on their 400 or 250 2 stroke with them :) Maybe I should just buy a 400 road/race bike.

In fact anyone want a partner for any size bike, I was even pretty damn quick round Taupo on my dads Hayabusa? I'm experienced on 600's aswell. Will be as sharp as a knife when I get back because I'll be bicycle couriering in Auckland for the 3 weeks leading up to xmas. Have been racing 250 4strokes in Australia for a while just for fun, but have learned 3 more circuits with all sorts of different challenges. Pretty sure I'll be an excellent endurance racer.

Shaun
14th October 2008, 15:15
Hahaha, the CBR250RR might do alright at this, won't need as much gas (pit stops) as the bigger bikes. I'm in :D

Or does anyone want a partner to do a stint on their 400 or 250 2 stroke with them :) Maybe I should just buy a 400 road/race bike.

In fact anyone want a partner for any size bike, I was even pretty damn quick round Taupo on my dads Hayabusa? I'm experienced on 600's aswell. Will be as sharp as a knife when I get back because I'll be bicycle couriering in Auckland for the 3 weeks leading up to xmas. Have been racing 250 4strokes in Australia for a while just for fun, but have learned 3 more circuits with all sorts of different challenges. Pretty sure I'll be an excellent endurance racer.

Good on ya mate, get out there and sell your self, and get yourself a ride in this event, it is the start of things to come again

Endurance Production racing was what made Robert Holden Bob Toomey Aaron Slight etc, go hard mate