PDA

View Full Version : Driving courses must be done while on C6R?

KingJackaL
6th October 2008, 15:52
Well, I thought I had everything laid out OK, but now it doesn't look so. I was hoping to get my C6 and International Drivers License by the end of this month, ready for a trip to see mates in Taipei and Hong Kong in November. Timing was close, but allowing 2 weeks for mailing out the license and 1 week for the IDL, I thought I'd make it. Doing a bit of touring on 2 wheels would be far more fun than hiring a car.

- I got my C6R on 2008-07-08
- I'm over 25
- I did a defensive driving course 40 months ago

It seems point 3 is the problem. There is NO mention of this on the relevant page on the LTSA website (I based my planning off this, *sigh*):
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/66.html

Apparently, my defensive driving course certificate doesn't apply because:
- course providers say it wasn't taken while I had my C6R - at the time I probably just had C1R.
- VTNZ (where I want to take my full m/bike test) say because it's expired.

The LTSA website only mentions a 'taken within X months' restriction for riders under 25, which I'm not.

Do I have any options here? I've rung up the defensive driving course providers, but they've said they can't do anything - except get me to take the course again. But I'll have to book into a course that'll be in another week or two. By the time I wait for that, do the course, get their certificate, and go for my C6 license, it'll be too late for my holiday :(.

Is this a possible case for an exemption? Who do I contact about that? Or am I just out of luck?

Ixion
6th October 2008, 15:58
I have encountered this before.

You are right. They are wrong. There is no requirement FOR AN OVER 25 for the defensive course to be taken whilst holding an 'R'. Nor is there any expiry period specified. So long as you have the bit of paper issued at the course you are entitled.

BUT - you will have to nag them into referring way up their help desk system. Do NOT accept what someone at VTNZ says. LTSA run a helpdesk system for queries. Tell them to call it. And then make them ask for a supervisor. have them explain, emphasising the 'over 25' bit. This is widely unknown (mainly because it is only encountered on bikes - very few car drivers nowadays wait until after 25 to get their licence).

KingJackaL
6th October 2008, 16:07
Hmm, thanks Ixion. I was getting a feeling that was the case. Have been reading this thread as well:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=30266

I can see how it'd be confusing - my Defensive Driving course certificate even has "This certificate expires 3 years from issue" written on it (although I never believed that that would be legally binding).

Will try my best to be stubborn but polite tomorrow morning at VTNZ :).

KingJackaL
7th October 2008, 08:50
OK, so it took about 40 minutes of polite but stubborn-as-a-mule, but it worked :).

She entered my details into her terminal again, assured me I had to wait another 3 months. I got her to ring the LTSA, they discussed at length, but did agree with me.

...and then said I had to wait a month and a half. That was a confusion between my C2L date and my C6R date, so I pointed that out. Then they said I'd have to wait a month. But they'd confused the 8th of the 7th for the 7th of the 8th...

...either way, I'm finally sorted. Test next Tuesday! Thanks again Ixion.

:woohoo:

MarkH
9th October 2008, 16:32
OK, so it took about 40 minutes of polite but stubborn-as-a-mule, but it worked :).

She entered my details into her terminal again, assured me I had to wait another 3 months. I got her to ring the LTSA, they discussed at length, but did agree with me.

...and then said I had to wait a month and a half. That was a confusion between my C2L date and my C6R date, so I pointed that out. Then they said I'd have to wait a month. But they'd confused the 8th of the 7th for the 7th of the 8th...

...either way, I'm finally sorted. Test next Tuesday! Thanks again Ixion.

:woohoo:

Sometimes you feel like strangling the bureaucratic idiots with the red tape! Sorry to hear of your hassles & wasted time - best of luck for your test next week.