PDA

View Full Version : KLR650 08 -> Viper (Micro) Exhaust

shards
7th October 2008, 10:17
Bought the alluminium Viper off TradeMe, had the s/s collector made locally and fitted like a charm. But....I just don't like the look, so I'm going to spring for the bucks and get a Staintune.

Any questions, phone me on 07-552-4866 or email sshards@paradise.net.nz

Asking $240. A cheap exhaust for anyone who likes the look.

I tried to attach pics, if they didn't work email me and I'll send them.

pete376403
7th October 2008, 13:07
Who made the header pipe? I've got a Micron sitting in the shed waiting to be fitted.
thanks

shards
7th October 2008, 13:38
Macs Mufflers in Mt Maunganui. I have the Viper on Trademe (minus connector). If someone buys it I'll sell you the connector pipe. I assume you know that this system retains the stock header pipe?

Padmei
7th October 2008, 19:48
what does it sound like? Any improvement in performance?

pete376403
7th October 2008, 21:58
Macs Mufflers in Mt Maunganui. I have the Viper on Trademe (minus connector). If someone buys it I'll sell you the connector pipe. I assume you know that this system retains the stock header pipe?

Thanks, yeah I could see that from the photos. I just need something to get from the end of the stock header to where the Micron would go.

shards
8th October 2008, 03:54
Padmei, On my previous KLR (the famous unloved GREEN one!!!!) I had that home-brew Yoshi and I removed the plastic plate over the airbox and also the rubber insert. My seat-of-the -pants conclusion is that, whilst there may (or may not) have been a little extra power, there most certainly was extra "get-up-and-go" when you cracked the throttle at around 110ish (say passing a logging truck). When I put the stock exhaust back on, and the airbox bits, and rode to Taupo to deliver to the new owner, the bike felt decidedly sluggish.

Presumeably the same would apply to any other similar KLR with an open exhaust and the airbox bits removed.

I also think these engines get better with age and shouldn't be babied too much. Just a feeling I have, no hard evidence.

Sorry, almost didn't answer your other question - yes, it is quite noisy, bit better with the restrictor in.

shards
8th October 2008, 07:42
Sold sold sold