PDA

View Full Version : Looks like i'm hooked!

s.langham
29th January 2005, 08:17
Hi all,

I went and got my learners a couple months ago and got straight into it purchasing a 1999 ZZR250 a week later!

since then ive done 6500kms on the thing including taking it to Aucks (from welly), ive dropped it (damn but i was wearing all my gears so i bounced and jst scractched my fairings)
I've been asking round and know a bit about my toy now (wil be servicing it myself and it needs doin soon aas)

one question- i need a new front tyre but wanted to go wider than the 100/80/17, how wide can i go on the standard rim? im looking at a Metzeler Marathon 120/60/17
will this be the ticket?

White trash
29th January 2005, 08:26
Hi and welcome.

The only thing you'll acheive from going to a bigger tyre size is fucking up thye perfectly good handling.

XTC
29th January 2005, 08:33
Yeah stick with the standard sizes.. going wider will only upset the profile changing the handling and wear characteristics of the tyre. Change your oil and filter every 5-8000Kms and your ZZR will take you a long way.

ching_ching
29th January 2005, 09:59
Hi SL,

I echo what's been mentioned in the previous posts, stick to the original tyre specs to preserve the handling aspects. Skill up on the ZZR and have fun cause once you get your full ticket, tyre dimensions won't be an issue :lol: .

BTW a 1990 ZZR250 was my very first bike when I was on da learners.

ching

XTC
29th January 2005, 11:48
Or you could put some 20" chromies on it and a boom box.....

thehollowmen
29th January 2005, 12:37
bad and wrong bad and wrong ... lalallalallalalalalalla I can't hear you lalalallalaaa

Waylander
29th January 2005, 13:33
Welcome to the site mate. :kick: Enjoy it and have fun. :apint:

Coyote
29th January 2005, 13:56
And bodykit, spoiler, intercooler, big bore exhaust, low profile tyres, neons, NOS, tinted windscreen, dude, you would be so bling

Wilkommen to the site :niceone:

SPORK
29th January 2005, 14:10
'99 ZZR?

They made them that late? Oooh. Learn something everyday. Except for those days were I get drugged and put in a boot of a car and taken on long distances across the country where they threaten me and tell me I'm going to die. The only thing I've learnt from those is that if you cry after the first beating, they usually stop

Coyote
29th January 2005, 14:17
'99 ZZR?

They made them that late? Oooh. Learn something everyday. Except for those days were I get drugged and put in a boot of a car and taken on long distances across the country where they threaten me and tell me I'm going to die. The only thing I've learnt from those is that if you cry after the first beating, they usually stop
That sure explains a lot. And to think I had another idea of why you mysteriously disappeared those days.

XTC
29th January 2005, 15:19
And bodykit, spoiler, intercooler, big bore exhaust, low profile tyres, neons, NOS, tinted windscreen, dude, you would be so bling

Wilkommen to the site :niceone:
Now you're just being silly.....:)

Joni
29th January 2005, 15:28
Hi welcome to KB!
Have fun and dont take things too seriously... :banana:

This is from Wari - :shake: , he's due back this weekend, once he returns you will get the "genuine" article so to speak...

:2thumbsup

Coyote
29th January 2005, 18:05
Now you're just being silly.....:)
Phff, am not :eek:

Almost forgot, 22" Chrome Snowflake spinners, Flame or Lightning Vinlys, RacePro Rally seats with racing seatbelts (as if your going to use them, and I'm sure you can put them on the bike somehow), custom speed and tacho, don't forget to make your neons pulse, carbon fibre side mirrors, shaker hood, PINSTRIPES!!! must have pinstripes (makes car go faster), Silver backed rear headlights, air intakes on roof, suspension kit (including Level 3 hydrolics of course) and a pair of pink fluffy dice. Have I covered everything?

Riff Raff
29th January 2005, 18:11
Welcome to KB :wavey:

Jantar
29th January 2005, 18:20
You've found the right place to chat with, and learn from other motorcylists.

I would endorse the comments made by others on here about NOT increasing the tyre width on your front wheel. A narrower front tyre helps with a nice quich turn in, and also helps to ensure that if you do start running your tyres right on the edge, then the rear will run out of grip before the front.

Welcome to the group. :yes:

sAsLEX
29th January 2005, 18:23
Phff, am not :eek:

Almost forgot, 22" Chrome Snowflake spinners, Flame or Lightning Vinlys, RacePro Rally seats with racing seatbelts (as if your going to use them, and I'm sure you can put them on the bike somehow), custom speed and tacho, don't forget to make your neons pulse, carbon fibre side mirrors, shaker hood, PINSTRIPES!!! must have pinstripes (makes car go faster), Silver backed rear headlights, air intakes on roof, suspension kit (including Level 3 hydrolics of course) and a pair of pink fluffy dice. Have I covered everything?

pfft you missed the most important thing!!

the cap on sideways

Riff Raff
29th January 2005, 18:50
the cap on sideways
Don't forget dickhead attitude!!!

SuperDave
29th January 2005, 19:05
Hi and welcome to KB. Listen to what the others say about those tyres, there's a reason bikes come with the size tyres they do from the factory. Just get some stickier compound tyres and you will be all set. Mmmm, *thinks about his new BT-39's* Gah! Have to wait until thursday till I get them :(

カワサキキド
29th January 2005, 19:23
Go get a set of stickey Dunlop GPR70's (in the factory recomended size of course)

John
29th January 2005, 20:23
hey well come to the site, great bike choice I assure you! :banana:

If you dont ride in the wet then get Dunlop GT501's great, I have had my knee down on them, warm up quick and wear suprisingly slow !!

on the ZZR note the ZZR250 is still being made, it has had NO visual upgrades since its release which makes parts for it etc easy to find :2thumbsup

Coyote
30th January 2005, 12:13

the cap on sideways
No, no, NO, you got it all wrong; you have to have the cap diagonally sideways. And the cap should have a brand on it, a plain cap won’t do.

s.langham
30th January 2005, 17:18
Thanks for the warm welcoms,

enough about the modified cars guys, yeah i spend more time on my rolla and the bikes jst here to get me around and i'll be installing most those mods (minus the neons and pinstipes cos they are well last year bling!!) :eyepoke:

point taken bout the tyre!! i was looking at tha metzeler on trademe (only 100 bucks brand new) but i guess i'll look for sumthin narrower........

i ride in all condidtions so i need a pretty universally good tyre (from commuting to touring to trashing it round the twisty back roads ) :2thumbsup:

Hitcher
30th January 2005, 18:42
Welcome to the KB gargre.

Ain't motorcycling the bestest fun? Enjoy yourself and take care at all times.

I may see you on the road sometime.

magnum
30th January 2005, 20:39
hi and welcome :first:

crashe
4th February 2005, 20:09
Welcome to KB land...lol

Wow for a new "L" rider to ride from Wellington to Auckland when ya first got your learners... Hope ya took it easy....

Listen to the guys about tyres etc.. they know their stuff. :scooter:

Midnight 82
4th February 2005, 20:23
Hello and have agood one. Welcome :pinch: :stoogie:

s.langham
7th February 2005, 15:08
Hmmm took it reasonably easy.....................
i split it over 2 days each way, welly - taupo - auckland - BDO - tokoroa - welly.
had some m8s in a car carry extra gear!!we had to wait around an hour+ for them to catch up each stop tho.....

I got my new front tyre, matched up with the rear and got an IRc RX01, im loving it!! it feels heaps better, shud be able to practice stoppies now.......

i really need to service me bike now, i've done jst over 7000kms since ive had it!!! the chick i bought it off had it serviced the day it should be about time..... any suggestions where i can source a workshop manual and cheap parts!??!