PDA

View Full Version : Gold chain cleaning and adjusting.

Redstar
11th September 2003, 21:42
I paid 250$ for a gold x ring DID chain and its the best $ I ever spent you really do get what you pay for I've thrashed 15,000 and it dos'nt need adjusting but I do look after it I religiously clean it and lube it one a week. first a wipe off with a lightly kerosene soaked rag then a liberal spray with clear lube.
a stott oiler would take away the labour for another $250 but I dont mind the manual approach Its a labour of love after all.
checking firstly sit on it to check freeplay if 25mm your fine then pull the chain away from the rear sprocket you shoud not be able to pull it away enough to see the detent curve beteen teeth and finally if you do tension it use a 7mm ring open spanner shaft placed between the rear sprocket teeth and tension fully rotate the spanner away and recheck at various points adjust to the tightest point. A paddock stand is helpfull if I had one I'd be sweet but I have,nt thats $140 bucks.
I have dropped by Cycletreads a few times and most bike shops will check and adjust it for free.
Its a chance to get them to check the shock,brakes and tyres you see all for free.

What?
15th September 2003, 09:04
I use the same chains on my F650 and CB1100. Adjustment is not a common chore... I use kero and a 25mm paint brush (with bristles cut in half) for cleaning to make sure I get all the grit out from between the plate overlaps. The run-off acts as a good weedkiller on the driveway :)

bungbung
19th September 2003, 11:06
... I use kero and a 25mm paint brush (with bristles cut in half)

so much effort Wha?, surely that's splitting hairs! :D