PDA

View Full Version : Long Way Round (DVD)

Bob
30th January 2005, 00:54
Click here to see the review I've written of the DVD of Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman's round the world journey by BMW. (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/bookslongwayrounddvd.htm)

http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/longwayround.jpg

XTC
30th January 2005, 08:45
So are you selling pirated copies?? If so how much :)

Bob
30th January 2005, 09:04
So are you selling pirated copies?? If so how much :)

Cheeky bugger! No I am not! :eyepoke:

Seriously, it is a superb series and well worth paying for a copy of the DVD, or video.

The book on the other hand... not read it myself (though I feel sure someone will buy it for me when it goes into the bargain bucket), but all the comments I hear is that it is a bit "We went there, we did this". Which is a real shame, as the series is full of passion.

Probably had to rush it out to meet the Christmas shopping period.

TwoSeven
30th January 2005, 10:51
They've went the easy way round as well. The hard way is thru turkey, india and the mid east :)

I was gunna do it on a pushbike some years back but it got canned because of a few wars starting - would like to do the trip one day.

Bob
30th January 2005, 22:03
They've went the easy way round as well. The hard way is thru turkey, india and the mid east :)

I was gunna do it on a pushbike some years back but it got canned because of a few wars starting - would like to do the trip one day.

They went the EASY way? Have you seen the series? OK, when you're riding through Russia, the roads are decent enough... but wait until you hit places like Mongolia and Khazakhstan...

Believe me, I'd be much happier riding in Turkey (where the roads aren't bad - and are getting better all the time, btw - I was on holiday there last year and their road conditions are pretty decent these days). Biggest problem with India is the "If it is my day to die, then so be it" attitude about life by the local drivers.

These guys took a route that so-called experts said wasn't possible.

Dutchee
31st January 2005, 21:20
I'd like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Yeah, they went there, they did that, whatever. It is basically their diaries (same as the dvd).

I think it depends on what you're expecting. I was expecting a dry read that I'd struggle through but I had a hard time putting it down. I also thought it was a publicity stunt (call me slow, I'd never heard much of either of them (I admit I knew the name Ewan McGregor and have seen trainspotting) & definitely never heard of their trip before being given the book by my mother-in-law).

Personally, I'd rather read the book first then see the series as that way you can let your imagine loose about what they're talking about rather than visualising the actual footage.

I didn't dare tell my husband I'd ordered the dvd as he'd think I was nuts, but as soon as it arrived, we sat down & started watching. I had to turn the tv off to get him to do anything.

As for price, from amazon.co.uk it was 12.06 pounds (including postage), arrived in a week and ended up costing about $33NZ. This is for about 6 hours of entertainment (actually more as we've watched it twice already & lent it to friends, eagerly awaiting being able to watch it again).

The series hasn't been shown in NZ but maybe one day one of the tv stations will pick it up (who knows). As for it being on bikes, yeah, they're riding bikes, but even if they'd done it in 4wd's it'd be entertaining. To me, none of the guys stood out as being the star of the show, it was two blokes out for an adventure who dragged a cameraman along for most of the way.
I enjoyed both the book & dvd & am recommending it to other folk I meet on the way.

Riff Raff
1st February 2005, 06:06
I'm looking forward to seeing the series. I might look at ordering it from Amazon like you Dutchee (btw, welcome to the site). Thanks for the review Bob.

Bob
1st February 2005, 06:41
I'm looking forward to seeing the series. I might look at ordering it from Amazon like you Dutchee (btw, welcome to the site). Thanks for the review Bob.

If you do decide to order it, if you go back to the review, there is a direct link to the relevant page in Amazon... oh stuff it here is a direct link, just to save you time! (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006B3UE6/crossstitchheave/202-4736324-9577464)

svs
1st February 2005, 10:09
Damn good series. I'm sure you can find a torrent for it if you look *cough* not that I'd know anything about that sort of thing. honest guv,