PDA

View Full Version : Bmw g650?

Pedrostt500
11th October 2008, 19:06
I'm looking at a BMW G 650 at the moment other than exspensive parts are there any known weak spots to these bikes yet, I know they are realitivly new to the market, I like the look of the DR 650, but second hand ones seem to be a rear beast. And I think the KLR 650 has to much plastic up front, and looks front heavy.
The G 650 I'm looking at is a second hand one, with fuck all Ks on the clock.

thepom
12th October 2008, 16:54
Had a couple of them and the only drawback is the price of parts and servicing,in particular the 40 thou service where you have to pay for the bmw fuel filter which costs about 140 bucks I think cos it has a gizmo that cuts the engine out if it gets blocked to protect the engine......most people get round it by fitting an in line fuel filter.
Several people have had problem with the speedo reading wrong or not at all.bmw could,nt find my problem and it cost me four hours labour and no solution to the problem.I can,t remeber the web site that gives you all the info on bmw,s,...maybe transalper will remember...saying that I still rate it as a fantastic bike,good enough off road on the not too heavy stuff and great as a road bike.400 kms to a tank you can,t go wrong.:done:

Transalper
12th October 2008, 17:48
I'm not sure we're talking the same bike here. I had a 2000 F650GS.
It had issues with a few things such as speedo, water pump, fraying cables, just changing the oil and filter or replacing the air filter were more difficult and time consuming than they should have been (IMO pf course). The F650GS had a 19inch front wheel which I grew to hate etc etc, but there are a lot out there and others still like them.
There is one website I remember for 650cc BMWs... The Chain Gang. (http://f650.com/)

They do have info on a G650X which I no nothing about and a Forum (http://f650.com/phpbb3/) which might be more useful?

2nd hand DR650s are out there, you just got to watch for them.
Cheers
TA.

Pedrostt500
12th October 2008, 19:48
thanks Guys.

dino3310
12th October 2008, 20:01
i agree with everything you said in your first post,
theres a reason theres not as many 2nd hand DR650's around as you would think.the Reason been that there fuckin good rides and not many like to part with them. no matter which one you choose mate as soon as you get a little offroad you'll be grinning ear to ear.
theres a DR on terdme at the moment for 5k looks pretty good.

JATZ
12th October 2008, 20:01
Is it the F650 or G650 your looking at. Did a quick search on tradme and a s/hand g650's almost twice the price of a new DR650

dino3310
12th October 2008, 20:03
hey that DR's in welly to

Pedrostt500
13th October 2008, 19:22
The G650 Xchallenge Im looking at is $14k but 3000 km on clock, so as near as new as Im willing to get.

dino3310
14th October 2008, 11:54
a new DR650 only 8995 brand spanking

pete376403
14th October 2008, 12:39
And I think the KLR 650 has to much plastic up front, and looks front heavy.
The G 650 I'm looking at is a second hand one, with fuck all Ks on the clock.
Looks really don't count for that much when you're on the bike. (Unless you're worried about what other people may think) All that plastic does a really good job of keeping the weather off.

Price of a new KLR is a bit more than the DR - $9290 - but the KLR already comes with a half-way decent seat and a proper sized fuel tank. But now I'm starting a DR v KLR thread...:laugh:

Crisis management
14th October 2008, 13:04
The only bits of info I have about the X challenge are all at least second hand, but what the hell....I recall some serious motor faults when they first came out (no details in my memory banks) so a good search of the appropriate forums would be sensible.
The only first hand knowledge I have was pushing one up a hill on the last Capital Coast ride and being surprised how much damage was evident on the plastics, they looked well trashed for a reasonably new bike so I surmise they may not bounce very well.

Given the current market don't be scared of making low offers for stuff, I think everything is moving slower than usual.

dino3310
14th October 2008, 13:20
. But now I'm starting a DR v KLR thread...:laugh:

yes and we dont want to be going there again :laugh:

Padmei
16th October 2008, 06:53
The xchallenge would at least be a novelty on an adv ride with other bikes. It would give us something interesting to talk about while the DR riders drone on about how good their bikes are :laugh:

pampa
16th October 2008, 13:29
Hi, I have one, the motor is bulletproof so far and very responsive, I can lift the front wheel very easily on first and second and I'm not good rider.

I'm happy with the performance of the bike, how it goes on the road (I commute every day 60K) and how it handles off road, fuel consumption is good ~200Km with 8 litres but

0. I'm very unhappy with Mrad and BM support
1. had problem with the gear lever shaft that fell off the bike requiring 1500$ repair (put engine apart not covered by BM even when they did it on UK and US) on my first off road on that bike. (it's a fairly common problem)
2. The front shock I'd read on advrider is the worst version that marzochi makes, it doesn't really matter to me cause of my skills but may be a problem for a good rider
3. Parts are expensive (front rotor 750$) 10K service 350$ (although many parts are in common with F650GSs and other Italian bikes)
4. Is very tall (not a problem for me ... just)
5. Has an odd rear air shock some people doesn't like

Cheers,
Pampa

The G650 Xchallenge Im looking at is $14k but 3000 km on clock, so as near as new as Im willing to get.

Transalper
16th October 2008, 18:12
I could be wrong but don't those things (X-challenges) have a ridiculously small fuel tank?

kevfromcoro
16th October 2008, 18:59
just a quick ??....
looked at 650 bm the other day....iam sure it was a v-twin....
had a bit of a google on it.......and seems like all bm 650s are singles...

NordieBoy
16th October 2008, 20:25
just a quick ??....
looked at 650 bm the other day....iam sure it was a v-twin....
had a bit of a google on it.......and seems like all bm 650s are singles...

The new 650 is an 800cc parallel twin if that makes any sense.

cooneyr
16th October 2008, 20:50
And yet the F800GS is also a 800 ll twin. Those guys at BMW must be cleverer. :oi-grr:

The new F650 GS is a detuned 800 ll twin with short suspension and alloy wheels where as the new F800 GS (same basic motor) has "better" suspension and wire spoked wheels. Look at the BMW site here (http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html). These are very different beasts to the F650's (Dakar or otherwise) singles of old. The silly thing is that on paper they are just an update of the Yammy XTZ750 Super Tenere that has lost about 15kgs and about 10 litres fuel capacity (though makes up with this through miserly fuel use).

The G650X is the new big bore trail bike with a reworked F650 single motor (as I understand it). Kinda spilt the dual purpose F650 Dakar into two bikes being a better road tourer and a better trail bike.

Cheers R