PDA

View Full Version : ZXR250 fuel switch

PHATVW
13th October 2008, 07:50
Hey guys,

I'm completely new to this and I know this sounds like a really dumb question but I just want to clear things up.

I've just bought a 1993 Kawasaki ZXR250 off TradeMe, on the left hand side there is a fuel switch, it's got On, PRI, Res. When do I use these?

Am I just supposed to leave it on On? What does PRI stand for? When do I use each setting?

The reason I'm asking is because I left it on On the whole night last night and it wouldn't start this morning :confused: then I contacted the previous owner and he told me that I've flooded the carb... so I switched it to Res for the whole day today, then just now I switched it to PRI and it started! Any idea what's going on?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!!!

Stanley

Sparrowhawk
16th October 2008, 20:17
On = Fuel is on
Res = Reserve

Basically, most motorbikes have 2 fuel hoses, one shorter than the other. The longer one, which is used with "On" is used most of the time. Then you'll be cruising along, your bike will splutter (and sometime stop until you get used to hearing it about to happen), and you put it on "Reserve", which is the shorter hose. That tells you to fill up soon, coz you're almost out of gas. When you fill up **make sure you put the tap back to On**. If you forget then you won't know when you're running low on fuel.

Personally, whenever I fill up I reset the trip meter. I know my bike will do between 250 & 290 k's before needing Reserve, so it's never a suprise.

I'm not sure about PRI. I'm guessing it's Prime, although a more experienced rider might have the answer to that. So you might need to start it in PRI, then switch it to ON.

Most bikes I've seen have, ON, RES & OFF.

boostin
16th October 2008, 20:25
As above but the PRI is for priming the carbs if you run out of fuel. The system uses vaccum from the engine to get the fuel, so switching it to PRI allows the fuel to flow through. Once started again put it back to ON or RES depending on what you need.

skidMark
16th October 2008, 20:38
**shakes head** i told ya to rock on over and i would teach ya everything dude :no:

TimeOut
16th October 2008, 20:38
My sons ZXR seemed to lose fuel out of the carbies if not ridden for a few days, then was hard to start and seemed to flood.
Solved this by turning it onto prime for a few seconds before starting to fill the carbies.